Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43338 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:12pm On Sep 02, 2009
The Order of Melchizedek

"The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek." (Psalm 110:4)

The importance of this intriguing verse is indicated both by the fact that it is the central verse of a great Messianic Psalm (quoted at least 12 times in the New Testament) and also because this one verse constitutes one of the main themes of chapters 5-7 of Hebrews, where it is quoted no fewer than five times (Hebrews 5:6, 10; 6:20; 7:17, 21), and where Melchizedek himself is mentioned nine times. It refers to the fascinating personage glimpsed briefly in Genesis 14:18-20. Melchizedek (meaning "King of Righteousness"wink is said to have been "King of Salem" (or "Peace"wink, but there is no record, either in secular history or elsewhere in the Bible, that there ever was such a city or earthly king. He was also called the "priest of the most high God" (Hebrews 7:1), and he suddenly appeared, then disappeared as suddenly as he had come.

Commentators mostly have assumed that Melchizedek was the chieftain of a small settlement of which we have no record, but this hardly does justice to the exalted descriptions of him in Scripture. He was obviously greater than Abraham (Hebrews 7:4), as well as Aaron, the founder of the Levitical priesthood. Furthermore, he was "without father, without mother, . . . having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually" (Hebrews 7:3). Such language is hardly appropriate merely because no genealogy is recorded.

If one takes the Bible literally, such statements could be true only of God Himself, appearing briefly in the preincarnate state of the Second Person, as King of all peace and righteousness. Now this same divine Person, "because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him" (Hebrews 7:24-25). HMM
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 8:57am On Sep 03, 2009
chukwudi44:

Since christ is doing burnt oferings for us in heaven he must also be paying tithes for us in heaven so we need to bother abi why should he do one and leave the other when he can do both of them grin grin grin

Abi oh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Chukwudi44 don't mind them, the extent his people would go, now they have stopped twisting scripture they are now inventing their own scripture all with the objective of justifying heretic greedy and unchristlike practises in the church.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:07am On Sep 03, 2009
@KunleOshod,

How you dey smiley smiley?, You never seize to make me laff, who is actually twisting scriptures if not yourself even some Xtian folks attested to that in your most hilarious thread ever cheesy cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-315563.0.html

-you pick passages relating to another thing and twain-twine it to look like another all in the motive to maybe win a point or buttress a lie i dont know, May God have mercy on us all. grin grin

mistaken manipulations for titheing is actually no sign of spiritual maturaity, all i have done here since the inception of this thread was to show you guys real and plain passages to explain my point whatelse do you want, and mind you you have actually misinformed people here and i think you know the spiritual consequences, good enough others attested or will i say rebuked you for that act. Offering is an act, titheing is an injuction what else again. hmmmm xtians in nairaland an wa o! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 1:31am On Sep 04, 2009
Before the law, there were tithes.

When the law came, there were instructions by the law to tithe.
It was based on the instructions by the law to tithe that the people under the law tithed.

It is also very clear that every encouragement or motivation to tithe which currently happens is based on what the law said.

Christ himself also said that tithes were part of the law (Matthew 23:23).

Now any body who needs to settle it for himself/herself whether to tithe or not to tithe as a Christian has to understand the law and its complete distinction,seperation and difference from the new covenant.

N/B: The new covenant is not a continuation or adjustment/editing/addition of the old covenant(Law); it is a completely seperate and new covenant.

Further enligthenement can be gotten by reading the article in this link:

The Misunderstood Covenant.

Settle this for urselves people. wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 04, 2009
@Oladeegbu

The tithe paid by Abraham to melchizedek was done just once in his lifetime.

He never asked anyone to continue the practise in his order.

Jesus was on this plant for 33 yeas why didn't he demand tithe in the order of melchizedek
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 8:46am On Sep 04, 2009
chukwudi44:

Jesus was on this plant for 33 yeas why didn't he demand tithe in the order of melchizedek

Because Jesus wasn't in the business of twisting scripture to satisfy his material needs.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:04am On Sep 04, 2009
ttalks:

It was based on the instructions by the law to tithe that the people under the law tithed.

It is also very clear that every encouragement or motivation to tithe which currently happens is based on what the law said.

Now any body who needs to settle it for himself/herself whether to tithe or not to tithe as a Christian has to understand the law and its complete distinction,seperation and difference from the new covenant.

N/B: The new covenant is not a continuation or adjustment/editing/addition of the old covenant(Law); it is a completely seperate and new covenant.

Further enligthenement can be gotten by reading the article in this link:

The Misunderstood Covenant.

Settle this for urselves people. wink

Ttalk you are wholly wrong on that statement and to KunleOshod and Chukwudi44, Jesus never said titheing was part of the law, you are misquoting scriptures, rather what Jesus said was that they paid tithe according to the law meaning "according to the way the law says titheing should be practised". The Titheing that Abraham did was not the same as the one the law/people of the law practised.

Abraham gave as was the customs of the old, in Hebrew language it was called 'Piel' meaning "He gave tithe" while that which the Israelites gave was 'Qal' meaning "To tithe", the former was given based on choice, while the latter was given based on Command. Do you understand?

The problem is that you guys dont really study deeply you just read and follow the crowd not minding if the what they are saying is correct or not.

I am not a pastor nor someone who works in the church for pay, i use to pay tithe because the pastor says i should tithe, then later i stopped because i listened to what peeps said that titheing was no longer relevant with their false proofs, until some few months i took the time to secretly study what titheing meant and its significance in our faith. I saw that what the people criticised about titheing was that it was the law which to me was a baseless evidence, but when i studied i discovered it was not the law, the titheing of the law is Qal in Hebrew( study the hebrew version of the bible) while the titheing of Abraham, Jacob were Piel, So if the law was fulfilled, it meant that the Qal was fulfilled by Jesus and not Piel which no wonder the bible said Jesus never belong to the order of AARON(Qal tither) but the order of MELCHISEDEK( Piel tither), same thing about offerings,that was why i said Offering and its significance is another topic of its own.

Now in my own opinion, the reason why the Apostles never said much about titheing was that it was not as important as titheing was to our eternal life, because Jesus said in Matt.23:23 that the weightier part of the law was Justice, mercy and faith while titheing still yet should not be left undone.

Again i say that if Titheing was the law according to your guys, then Justice, mercy and faith are also law, because Jesus called them Law too, so if Jesus abolished the Law like you guys think therefore Justice, mercy and faith were both abolished, aint that funny  grin grin grin grin grin

You guys never seize to make me laff, if you have points to present , then do so explicitly and dont come up with heresy that because Paul warned us against greedy shepherds extorting money from their sheep meant that he warned us against tithe-takers. A pastor may choose not to take tithe but yet steal seriously from offering, so what has titheing got to do with greedy shepherds, those points simply show signs of spiritual immaturity and nothing more

Bring your strong points and not counter the others point when they do so, God bless ya'll Chukwudi, KunleOshod,Ttalks my brothers. smiley smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 1:05pm On Sep 04, 2009
As usual, Tonye-t is talking like he really knows how people get to their conclusions. grin

Here's another link to explain further on the one I gave earlier:

Hebrews 7:12--Changed or Abolished?

Also, Tonye-t, I wonder if u really took out time to read the link I gave earlier because if u did, you wouldn't be asking the question u asked about Matthew 23:23 (whether justice mercy and faith were abolished).

Hope u'll read it and this one also.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2009
ttalks,

I read that link and there was nothing in connection to the topic, but the law, the same with the one you just posted, what a surprise that even the link you offerred was even buttressing my point farther that the law never affected the people who came b4 it like Abraham>Jacob. I had to paste this paragraphs from that article so you will even learn it

Hebrews 7:1-10 recites Abraham's encounter with Melchisedec. The literary purpose for referencing the story was to demonstrate that the Levitical priesthood was not the pinnacle of God's plan. As the author made clear, that priesthood could not bring perfection (v. 11). Even the law foretold of a priest who would arise after Melchisedec's order, and not of Aaron's (Psalm 110:4). There would have been no need for another order of priests had the Aaronic order been the pinnacle of God's plan. Hebrews 8:6 clues us in to the point of chapters 5 and 7, concluding that Jesus' ministry is better than Levi's, and the covenant Jesus established is better than the Mosaic Covenant. The remainder of the eighth chapter, coupled with chapters 9-10, continue to demonstrate the superiority of the New Covenant over the Mosaic Covenant.

With that as a backdrop, let us now now look specifically at the immediate context of Hebrews 7:12. The author argued that the Aaronic priesthood was inextricably connected with the Law of Moses (v. 11). Because of this connection, when one is abolished, the other is also abolished with it. The author continued, "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law" (v.12), How was the priesthood changed? Was it simply a reorganization of the current system? Was it the changing of certain positions? No. The entire Aaronic priesthood was abolished and replaced with the Melchisedecian priesthood. Starting with this radical change of the priesthood the author argued that the law (the formalized rules by which the people govern their lives) must also be changed because of such an event. If the change of the priesthood was a complete replacement of one order for another, why would we believe that the change of the law only refers to a revamping of the Law of Moses?

I must appreaciate you for that link, it explained all i have been trying to make here since, no wonder i say there is that lets read things with unbiased mind the truth will always be the truth, pls others read this and explain what you understand.

And also to your 1st line, i know that something is trying to tell you 'this is the truth ttalks, but ego wont let you accept it, nobody wants to loose, i understand!, but never worry i aint here to win either but to show you the truth as it is. God bless you cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 3:22pm On Sep 04, 2009
@tonye-t
Kindly explain to us why tithing was anulled in verse 12 of that very same hebrew passage you are trying to twist and was further describe as weak and unprofitable in verse 18. Why would you as a christian encourage others to do what the bible as anulled and described as weak and unprofitable?

Hebrews 7:5-19:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12[b]For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.[/b]

13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18[b]For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.[/b]

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2009
Tonye-t:

ttalks,

I read that link and there was nothing in connection to the topic, but the law, the same with the one you just posted, what a surprise that even the link you offerred was even buttressing my point farther that the law never affected the people who came b4 it like Abraham>Jacob. I had to paste this paragraphs from that article so you will even learn it

You still never got what I tried to say about melchizedek before.You assumed too much about what I said.
My point before was trying to make it clear that the issue about the order of melchizedk had to do with "the power of an endless life".
The bible indicated that Melchizedek had an endless life; so does Christ, making them to be of the same kind;the same order.

And also to your 1st line, i know that something is trying to tell you 'this is the truth ttalks, but ego wont let you accept it, nobody wants to loose, i understand!, but never worry i aint here to win either but to show you the truth as it is. God bless you cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy[/color][/font]

Somebody is thinking very highly of himself here. grin

You indicated earlier that the links I posted did not bear any relevance to this topic. Well, if you've noticed most of our arguments, they've indicated that
tithes have to do with the law(which u do not agree).
The tithes as being paid, are according to the law. If the law is not in force, we are not obligated to tithe.
The law gave instructions to tithe and how to tithe.
The new covenant gave no instructions to tithe and how to tithe.
We are no longer under the law so we do not do anything it asks.
We are under the new covenant and we do what it says we should do.

The below is from the link I gave initially:

This understanding of the Law is very important to our understanding of the relationship of the Mosaic Covenant to the New Covenant because it is commonly taught that Jesus only abolished the ceremonial and civil laws of the Mosaic Covenant when he established the New Covenant, leaving the moral law still effective. However, because the Scripture depicts the Law as a single, unified-whole we must conclude that Jesus abolished the entire Mosaic Covenant, including its moral laws (James 2:10-11). This does not mean that God no longer has laws concerning morality today. God's moral nature demands that He will always have a moral law for mankind. Before the Law He instructed men through their conscience and through oral laws passed down from generation to generation (Romans 2:12-16). This was necessary because no written revelation existed before the Law of Moses that could define right and wrong. Abraham never had a Scripture to tell him about God's laws, yet we read that Abraham obeyed God's voice, kept His charge, His commandments, His statutes, and His laws (Genesis 26:5). The laws of God that have to do with His moral nature predated the Law of Moses and were added to what we think of as the ceremonial and civil aspects of the Law, but when Jesus abolished the Law at His death (Hebrews 9:16-17) even what we would call the moral aspects of the Law were abolished. God did not abolish His own moral laws when He eradicated the Law, but He did eradicate the legality of the covenant in its entirety. He could not abolish some parts of the Law and not others because it stood as a single unit. After abolishing the entire covenant God reiterated His moral commandments to the church via the New Testament Scriptures. Whatever God's moral laws were before the Mosaic Covenant were also contained in the Mosaic Law, and continue to be so for us in the church age, written for us in the New Testament Scriptures. These moral laws were contained in the Law of Moses, but we have no way of judging whether or not they were part of God's moral law except for the fact that the command is reiterated in the New Testament Scriptures. If a Mosaic command does not reappear in the New Testament it can be concluded that it was not part of God's eternal moral law, for the identity of God's moral law is found in the expression of revelatory commandments in His Word (Romans 7:7-13).

The above quote shows that evrything we are doing according to the new testament is from the new testament and not the old.
Anything that seems to be from the old covenant is not from the old covenant but from the new covenant.
The above post should clearly have prevented the question u raised about justice,mercy and faith.

The new covenant, has all that is necessary for us Christians to live the lives which God intended for us to live.
And if you go through that new covenant, there is no instruction to tithe or how to tithe.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2009
@ttalks
It would be very difficult for this people to accept the truth, some of them are benefitting from the filthy lucre whilst the rest of them are so thoroughly brainwashe by their pastors that they would not believe even when shown crystal clear evidence that their pastor is twisting the word of God rather they would twist it further[since they have been trained in the art of scriptural manipulation] to try and confuse other less learned brethen into believing the heresies further.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:38pm On Sep 04, 2009
Ttalks,

I have just a question for you

Did Abraham or Jacob who tithed did so during the Law or before the law?

Your answer to this is what will make me skip/refer to your comments as relevant/ irrelevants henceforth

and mind you i wasnt thinking highly of myself, because i would have said i won. Dont act too smart my brother!

God bless you!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2009
And to add erasers to your errors, i will write that

Ttalks,

1. Who seperated /categorised the scriptures as OT and NT

2. Was the Pentatiouch lived in the Law or before the Law

3. Who institutionalised Titheing to the Israelites

4. Was Abraham an Israelites

Pls help answer this questions they will do you alot of good

Ttalks brong evidences from the scriptures and not link to another's article which could be false or wrongly informative cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2009
Tonye-t:

Ttalks,

Ttalks brong evidences from the scriptures and not link to another's article which could be false or wrongly informative cheesy cheesy

Tonye-t:

Ttalks,

Your answer to this is what will make me skip/refer to your comments as relevant/ irrelevants henceforth

and mind you i wasnt thinking highly of myself, because i would have said i won. Dont act too smart my brother!

God bless you!

I would have loved to answer this mis-leading questions but i trust ttalks wink would do justice to them as i know he has been very well schooled in the scriptures and can not be tossed around like paper weight christians that abound these days.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2009
And to you my dearest brother KunleOshod grin grin grin grin

i wish not to ask you because i have been laffing for over a minute or two grin grin ;Dwhen i read your post up there quoting and yet misunderstanding the scriptures that you quote

I beg to rest here for now until next week

God bless you and have a great week Ok!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 11:12pm On Sep 04, 2009
Tonye-t:

Ttalks,

God bless you!

First of all, Abraham gave a tithe once and never again and he did that of his own volition;not by command or injunction. He did that of his freewill; a personal decision of his.

Secondly it wasn't recorded that Jacob gave a tithe. winkI wouldn't be surprised if he did ogboju in that situation since he was known as a deceptive person. grin
Also,Jacob only said he would tithe only if God fulfilled certain conditions.*Not a very good example for people to follow based on the current hype about tithing.*

Finally, all these took place in the period where there was no law. wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 12:13am On Sep 05, 2009
Tonye-t:

Ttalks,

Q1. - I don't know them by name but i guess they must have been some very learned personalities grin
What I do know is that God was the one who seperated the old covenant(testament/agreement) from the new covenant(testament/agreement) through Christ's death on the cross.

Heb 8:10-13
(10)  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
(11)  And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
(12)  For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
(13)  In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 10:8-10
(8  Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
(9)  Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
(10)  By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Q2. - pentateuch- First five books of the bible.
Genesis did not have any part in the dispensation of the law, but the dispensation of the law began from Exodus 20 when God gave moses the law and moses made it known unto the israelites.

Q3. - Tithes were introduced to the israelites through the law by Moses.

Q4. - Abraham was not an israelite.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 12:45am On Sep 05, 2009
in simple terms, there were three dispensations indicated by the bible:

- the period before the law
- the period of/during the law(the old covenant period)
- the period after the law(the new covenant)

First period showed how God and his creations interracted.

Second period; God decided that his people should operate with him based on an agreement.
So he put everything he expected of them in that agreement(the old covenant/the law).

The third/current and final period; God sent Christ to die and establish a new agreement(new covenant) by which he would interact with mankind. Within this agreement were/are all the requirements God demands of his people to be in perfect tune with him.
N/B: Everything he expects of us is in there.

So, now operating within a new agreement, we aren't expected to be fulfilling or doing requirements of an obsolete agreement; or doing anything that was expected of the old agreement.

Everything that is expected of us is in the new covenant/agreement.

Curiously/strangely/amazingly, there is no injunction to tithe.So, it simply means that God does not expect us to tithe.

Why then are people still trying to force tithing into the Christian walk?

Tithing is not a requirement;whether physical or spiritual; for us Christians.This is so very simple to deduce.
Why is this hard to swallow?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Allta(m): 4:26pm On Sep 18, 2009
ttalks:

Tithing is not a requirement;whether physical or spiritual; for us Christians.This is so very simple to deduce.
Why is this hard to swallow?

Because we were brainwashed when young in sunday school classes that God will send "kokoro-ajenirun" when you don't pay and that he could let Satan destroy you. Nonesense and utter Rubbish!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 18, 2009
@Allta,

werent you also told dat if you lie and disobey mummy and daddy dat we will go to hell. do you mean to say that our sunday school teachers lied? they did not , they only explained the bible in a way that our small brains will understand

Mr. Allta, pls take your time and read this thread carefully and find the truth for yourself

Titheing is very much relevant today, whether kokoro-ajenirun or pigeon, dats not the issue, the issue is that Jesus has said Justics, faith and righteousness are both relevant and titheing should not also be left out Matt.23:23 wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Allta(m): 5:12pm On Sep 18, 2009
@ Mr Tonye-t

This is what I know ,  people should be allowed to do what they believe is right! Being a Christian is a choice in the first place, believing there is a God is a choice in the first place, btw there are still "Bible Believing" people till date that think eating pig is wrong and there are still some that sacrifice rams and bulls to appease God. There still people who pay Tithe annually, every 3 years and even using fruit produce rather than money, the only thing that consign me is to preach the gospel,  the truth and make disciples of nations. If those disciples chooses to take my interpretation about tithing/sacrificing/pig-eating, it's between them and their God. If they decide to even eat their "Tithe" along with the motherless, orphans, levites/pastors, foreigners, I WILL GLADLY LET THEM!

A lot as been said about this tithing thing and I just don't want to be dragged into another hulla-balloo. But if Christ didn't Tithe, and the people that were first called Christians didn't, whatever consequences they suffered for not doing so, I'm prepared to suffer same. Maybe Tithe wasn't relevant in their days ,  the early days which followed crucifixion, maybe it's only relevant in our own days; everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of the word of God, but that wouldn't change God's word.

Hey, talking about Matt 23:23, why did the Bible say that the Pharisees, Saducees and Hypocrites paid Tithe but didn't record that Christ and the Disciples tithed? Or why didn't the Bible record that Early Christians , those who were first called Christians paid Tithe. Why did Tithe now resurfaced years after the Bible days?

Please tell people the truth about Tithe, if they still want to pay, let them, and if they don't, let them as well.

Until someone show me from the Bible that Jesus, The Disciples and Early Church paid Tithe, I will continue to believe it's not new testamental. I do believe sha that the Pharisees, Saducees and Hypocrites pay Tithe. At least the New Testament recorded it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:41pm On Sep 18, 2009
Allta:

@ Mr Tonye-t

This is what I know , people should be allowed to do what they believe is right! Being a Christian is a choice in the first place, believing there is a God is a choice in the first place, btw there are still "Bible Believing" people till date that think eating pig is wrong and there are still some that sacrifice rams and bulls to appease God. There still people who pay Tithe annually, every 3 years and even using fruit produce rather than money, the only thing that consign me is to preach the gospel, the truth and make disciples of nations. If those disciples chooses to take my interpretation about tithing/sacrificing/pig-eating, it's between them and their God. If they decide to even eat their "Tithe" along with the motherless, orphans, levites/pastors, foreigners, I WILL GLADLY LET THEM!

A lot as been said about this tithing thing and I just don't want to be dragged into another hulla-balloo. But if Christ didn't Tithe, and the people that were first called Christians didn't, whatever consequences they suffered for not doing so, I'm prepared to suffer same. Maybe Tithe wasn't relevant in their days , the early days which followed crucifixion, maybe it's only relevant in our own days; everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of the word of God, but that wouldn't change God's word.

Hey, talking about Matt 23:23, why did the Bible say that the Pharisees, Saducees and Hypocrites paid Tithe but didn't record that Christ and the Disciples tithed? Or why didn't the Bible record that Early Christians , those who were first called Christians paid Tithe. Why did Tithe now resurfaced years after the Bible days?

Please tell people the truth about Tithe, if they still want to pay, let them, and if they don't, let them as well.

Until someone show me from the Bible that Jesus, The Disciples and Early Church paid Tithe, I will continue to believe it's not new testamental. I do believe sha that the Pharisees, Saducees and Hypocrites pay Tithe. At least the New Testament recorded it.

The bolden part is where shows that you are wrong, do you mean to tell me that because there is the weightier issues in christianity, there fore the lightier ones should be left unattened. we owe God our full service my friend
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Allta(m): 5:52pm On Sep 18, 2009
My dear Mr Tonye-t,

For one second, let me assume I'm wrong with that statement, but If early Christ, The Disciples and Christians neglected the lightier part, then I'm prepared to serve the consequences they served. In other words, if there was no record (in the Bible ofcourse) to show they didn't neglect the "lightier part", then I believe there will be no record to show that me too, will neglect them. My brother, I have chosen to concentrate on those things that do count. Like I said, I'm opened to witnesses which are only inspired by God's words that early Christians didn't neglect Tithing.

BTW, I believe the Law was binding before the death of Christ, and it was at that point that things shifted, isn't it? But despite that, no record showed Christ or Disciples paid Tithe, or am I missing out something?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2009
Allta:

My dear Mr Tonye-t,

For one second, let me assume I'm wrong with that statement, but If early Christ, The Disciples and Christians neglected the lightier part, then I'm prepared to serve the consequences they served. In other words, if there was no record (in the Bible ofcourse) to show they didn't neglect the "lightier part", then I believe there will be no record to show that me too, will neglect them. My brother, I have chosen to concentrate on those things that do count. Like I said, I'm opened to witnesses which are only inspired by God's words that early Christians didn't neglect Tithing.

BTW, I believe the Law was binding before the death of Christ, and it was at that point that things shifted, isn't it? But despite that, no record showed Christ or Disciples paid Tithe, or am I missing out something?

Yes brother u are missing out something

1. Jesus talked about titheing that it should not be neglected, now isnt that reason enough to know that because he didnt tithe doenst mean he rejected titheing as a whole

2. When he was approached about his disciples not fasting, what did he say, didnt he say that because they have not fasted doesnt mean they should not fast

3. Did Jesus or any of his disciples give offering on record, answer is no, yet Jesus talked about offering and thus we practise it today

4. To me the minimal mention of things like offerings, titheing , alms were standards that should not be over-emphasized, souls were lost Jesus and his disciples focused on that to save souls, how will they be managed as a body after their salvation if offerings, titheings and giving were of no importance.

I am presently creating a blog to explain the roles Jesus plays

- His role as a King (shepherd)
- His role as a Prophet (teacher)
- His role as a priest

If you understand the roles of a priest, you'll see that the priest who existed b4 the law took offering, tithe, gave sacrifice, offer atonement, the priest who existed during the law took after this tasks, now therefore i ask, what is expected of this new priest called christ (as mentioned in Hebrew) if not to follow in his priestly trails though under a new system. ruling out this tasks is like ruling out Christ as a Priest.

Do you understand?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 6:31pm On Sep 18, 2009
why are folks finding it so hard to absorb this simple truth

Matt.23:23

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. [size=14pt]You should practice the latter[/size][justice, mercy, faithfulness], [size=15pt]without neglecting to practise the former[titheing].[/size]

if titheing was among the law as some put it, then i will say to u that justice, mercy and faithfulness are among too, because they were referred to as "the matters of the law"

so anyone saying law is useless, should also say that justice is useless, mercy is useless, faithfulness is useless. i wonder what measure of blaspheming one can give more than that

Jesus said Titheing should not be neglected, now does it matter if he practised it or not? what matters is that his word is spirit and life and if he says titheing should not be despised, then to me, that is life
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2009
Tonye-t:

why are folks finding it so hard to absorb this simple truth

lol . . . because it is a simple lie. And no matter of spin or twist you apply to the scripture to make it bend to your personal convictions will work.

Tithing is optional. And the one who tithes is no better or worse than the one who doesn't.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Allta(m): 6:43pm On Sep 18, 2009
This is what I understand:

Tonye-t:

Yes brother u are missing out something

1. Jesus talked about titheing that it should not be neglected, now isnt that reason enough to know that because he didnt tithe doenst mean he rejected titheing as a whole

2. When he was approached about his disciples not fasting, what did he say, didnt he say that because they have not fasted doesnt mean they should not fast

3. Did Jesus or any of his disciples give offering on record, answer is no, yet Jesus talked about offering and thus we practise it today

4. To me the minimal mention of things like offerings, titheing , alms were standards that should not be over-emphasized, souls were lost Jesus and hos disciples focused on that to save souls, now after their salvation how will they be managed, if offerings, titheings and giving were of no importance.

1. Jesus teaching in Mat 23 wasn't on Tithe o, it was titled Seven Woes from NIV. Matt 23:2-3: "2 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3 So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach." (Woe unto them for they do this, and don't do this, bla bla bla);
2. Jesus himself fasted for 40days&nights.
3. What's your definition of offering? transferring haves from those who have to those who have not? wasn't there accounts where Christians made offerings in NT.
4. I get ur pt here and I agree with except that Tithe could be exempted from that list and the Church will still function. How did early church function without Tithing but via offerings and free-will giving?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2009
@Tonye-t
I see you are back to spread your false, evil and fraudulent doctrine of tithes in christianity angry please note i would be around to to prove from scriptures that all your hallucinations about tithes are purely doctrines of men without sound scriptural basis. It is also an embarassment to christianity as you tithes preachers are attempting to turn christianity to a false religion via marmon worship which christ warned us against. That apart i would also like to remind you that the tithes which the pharisees gave [not paid] in your favourite Matthew 23:23 [which you love mis-interrpreting] was mint and cumin[agricultural produce] NOT shekels or any other form of money that was being spent then. Tithing today remains the biggest fraud in christianity and by extention the history of mankind and no matter how much you so called christians try to twist the scriptures the truth is already out and God's Judgement shall prevail on those who twist his word to fleece the flock and make money 2peter 2:1-3
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 19, 2009
Let all of us just a[b]ssume[/b] that tithing is still valid.

in tithing we have to follow the procedure laid down by the bible.

The Bible had 2 types of tithes

1.melchizesek tithe -paid once in a lifetime

2.levitical tithe -paid once in three years

To which of these 2 categories do modern tithing fall under ?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bobbyaf(m): 10:32pm On Sep 19, 2009
@ talks

And that is why tithing is more a principle that is motivated by selflessness.

Don't forget that the law didn't really come per se, but was transcribed. The principle of the law always existed. Geneses 26:5 speaks of Abraham obeying God's law, statutes, etc. If there were no laws and statutes before Moses, then what did Abraham keep?

So what motivated Jacob and Abraham to tithe?

Yet He never once discouraged its practise. In fact He encouraged its practise.

Ttaks listen carefully. The only difference between the Old Covenant, and the New Covenant is the circumstances under which each were ratified. A covenant is an agreement between one or more parties. The agreement part has certainly not changed. Whatever God agreed to with Israel is still agreeable to us as Christians. God desires that we keep His laws and instructions, but when Israel failed based on their promise to "do all that the Lord has said", and failed because of their weakness and sinful tendencies, and even their continued failure to keep that covenant during their kingdom rule, God had promised that He would make a new covenant with the house of Israel and Judah. That covenant was not meant for gentiles. It was meant for God's people.

God's people persisted in their iniquities, and were led captive in Babylon for 70 years, and it was during their stay in Babylon that Daniel was shown a vision that spoke to the issue of God giving Israel one last opportunity to make things right in order to prepare for the Messiah. They were given 70 prophetic weeks, or 490 literal years beginning BC457, and which ended in AD 34, the very same year that Stephen was stoned to death, thus sealing the doom of Israel to continue bearing the divine oracles of God. In the very same year the covenant was renewed after Christ's death on Calvary, some 3 1/2 years later opened up the saving gospel to the gentiles on a larger scale.

So in essence the New Covenant is a renewed one, and is not so much a new one. Its the same agreement. Rather than seal it with the blood of animals it was sealed with the blood of Christ, and its promises were more secure, because this time its not we who are making the promises, but God and His Son. It is God who is placing the law in our hearts and mind. It is He who provides the power and grace to obey.

My above explanation says the very opposite. The only thing that makes it different rather than new is that the promises made were different. However, its the very same agreement.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bobbyaf(m): 10:48pm On Sep 19, 2009
Posted by: KunleOshob

@Tonye-t
I see you are back to spread your false, evil and fraudulent doctrine of tithes in christianity Angry please note i would be around to to prove from scriptures that all your hallucinations about tithes are purely doctrines of men without sound scriptural basis.

Well, find a passage that says we shouldn't return a faithful tithe, and we will accept it. cheesy

It is also an embarassment to christianity as you tithes preachers are attempting to turn christianity to a false religion via marmon worship which christ warned us against. That apart i would also like to remind you that the tithes which the pharisees gave [not paid] in your favourite Matthew 23:23 [which you love mis-interrpreting] was mint and cumin[agricultural produce] NOT shekels or any other form of money that was being spent then. Tithing today remains the biggest fraud in christianity and by extention the history of mankind and no matter how much you so called christians try to twist the scriptures the truth is already out and God's Judgement shall prevail on those who twist his word to fleece the flock and make money 2peter 2:1-3

If tithing is the biggest fraud then why is it that those organizations who practice it are not prosecuted? grin

Besides, tithing is not limited to mint and cummin. Listen to what Jacob promised, "And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

So whatever the Lord blesses you with in the form of an increase, then simply tithe it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Aba Church members welcoming pastor in Grand military style / Jigawa Government Demolishes RCCG And Lords Chosen Church / Prophet Kofi Oduro To Ladies: You & Your Private Part Shall Perish In Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.