Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,413 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? (17130 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by joseph1832(m): 7:23am On May 06, 2016
Wole Soyinka.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Nobody: 7:24am On May 06, 2016
Ngugi wa thiongo. That man is very underrated . I have not seen any other writer like him.. He is kenyan i think..

Achebe is kinda tribal, soyinka is too turgid ,even in his humor stories.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Nobody: 7:25am On May 06, 2016
fabre4:

have you read Ngugi wa thiongo (weep not child)
God bless you for this! The guy good

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by mypassions(m): 7:27am On May 06, 2016
It is not really fair to compare Soyinka and Achebe. But looking at the kind of awards they have received and the way they are perceived in local and international limelight, one has no option than to say Soyinka is more well known([I]please note I did not say greater[/I])

Soyinka has been a vocal critic of bad governments, he is vociferous in any cause he supports,he is a nobel laureate, he has courted controversies in his prime with the issue of Pyrates, his pro-Biafra stance and holding up a radio station.Many motorists would remember him for his Road Safety campaigns, he likes making an impression, his style of writing is wel to say the least a complex (I had a hard time following [I]The Interpreters[/I]...he is classy-let's give him that

Achebe on the other hand is quieter, he makes contributions to National issues when necessary (the recent being the rejection of a national merit award), he is the typical still water that runs deep. He has the ability to connect with his audience with his simple style of writing and plots ... some feel he should have been a nobel laureate too, which I think I agree with.

As you can see greatness is perhaps depends on a person's point of view.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by fixedhollies(m): 7:27am On May 06, 2016
The only writer I can boldly say is better than Achebe and the man keeps me wondering if he was a man! The man is D.O Fagunwa. The man who wrote 'igbo olodumare' only yoruba literature readers can understand.

6 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by trappatoni(m): 7:27am On May 06, 2016
Ngugi and Camara Laye. Of course Wole for obvious reasons. If i have to pick one, well they're are great writers including Achebe. It depends on the mood really, today I 'm feeling like Robert Ludlum is the greatest novelist ever, if only I could get a copy of Gemini contenders I would be the happiest man alive.

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Rossikk(m): 7:28am On May 06, 2016
I think the closest writers to Achebe in terms of ability are Wole Soyinka and Ben Okri. No one else comes even close in my view.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by mzzhavilah(f): 7:30am On May 06, 2016
Hmm wrote better u say!u forget dat each writer wit his/her own unique writing style,like Mariama ba So long a letter or Ngugi wa Thiong'o Devil on the cross Amongs oda,so also Achebe got his own unique style.He stands out right.

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by tuna4servi(m): 7:37am On May 06, 2016
iyke649:
All those shouting Wole Soyinka should go for a medical check up grin grin grin grin
Why?
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Orikinla(m): 7:39am On May 06, 2016
Please, let Chinua Achebe rest in peace. He was among the best, but not the best in Africa. The first black Nobel Prize winner in Literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka remains the greatest African writer, because he excelled in all the genres; plays in drama, essays, critical studies, translations and novels in prose and poetry. Soyinka translated Greek and Yoruba classic works to modern English. The next great writer from Nigeria after Soyinka is from my generation and he is Ben Okri who won the Booker Prize at 32 and no other Nigerian has achieved that literary feat. And what is left for him to win now is the Nobel Prize for Literature. Okri is awesome. I would have been next, but I lost 7 unpublished novels in transit and those novels were written in circumstances that cannot return again.

7 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Orikinla(m): 7:43am On May 06, 2016
mzzhavilah:
Hmm wrote better u say!u forget dat each writer wit his/her own unique writing style,like Mariama ba So long a letter or Ngugi wa Thiong'o Devil on the cross Amongs oda,so also Achebe got his own unique style.He stands out right.
. Camara Laye was better than Chinua Achebe. And if you have not read Laye, please SHUT UP and don't reply my comment. Too many ignorant comments on this topic by those who don't read.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Rotimi47: 7:43am On May 06, 2016
Wole Soyinka.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by afoobabs(m): 7:44am On May 06, 2016
D.O. FAGUNWA

4 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by teechudleyy(f): 7:48am On May 06, 2016
dapyd1:
You guys forget that we are talking about literature as an art, and using the word 'better' does not capture it.
Depending on the reader, critic or environment the criteria for measuring which writer is better will be entirely different.
Why do humans like putting people in a box by classifying them as better or worse.
We have had a horde of brilliant writers over the past century in the African continent, majority of whom even the OP has not read even if you spend every minute of your life reading.

The question is subjective and can only lead to arguments and counter-arguments.

My two cents though.

An apt summary of Kanye wests speech at the 2015 MTV VMAs. No truer words have been said.

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by teechudleyy(f): 7:49am On May 06, 2016
Orikinla:
Please, let Chinua Achebe rest in peace. He was among the best, but not the best in Africa. The first black Nobel Prize winner in Literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka remains the greatest African writer, because he excelled in all the genres; plays in drama, essays, critical studies, translations and novels in prose and poetry. Soyinka translated Greek and Yoruba classic works to modern English. The next great writer from Nigeria after Soyinka is from my generation and he is Ben Okri who won the Booker Prize at 32 and no other Nigerian has achieved that literary feat. And what is left for him to win now is the Nobel Prize for Literature. Okri is awesome. I would have been next, but I lost 7 unpublished novels in transit and those novels were written in circumstances that cannot return again.

Lol! This comment itself deserves an award

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by teechudleyy(f): 7:51am On May 06, 2016
viickerz:
Ngugi wa thiongo. That man is very underrated . I have not seen any other writer like him.. He is kenyan i think..

Achebe is kinda tribal, soyinka is too turgid ,even in his humor stories.

Ha! God bless u for this. That man makes me think of a pretty girl looking on while wor wor girls are receiving MBGN. But then... writing is an art that cannot he quantified. . .
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by erunzy(m): 7:52am On May 06, 2016
If at all you know anything about literture u will know that you can not comper writers. Becos they chose their own style,theme,diction,and. Composition idependently. You question should be which writer style do readers Prefer. On that note. Rubbish thread and clueless op
IkennaNweke:
Which African writer wrote better than Chinua Achebe?
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Nobody: 7:55am On May 06, 2016
The answer everytime I see this _stupid question is 'who cares?!'. For all I know a handful of nairaland authors write better than internationally acclaimed ones. Chimamanda once said "If nobody knows your name and you don't have connections then your newly published book would not make it past your neighbourhood. If you're unlucky it wouldn't make it past your immediate family.".

Also the OP should spend a better part of his time learning to construct sentences than compare writers.

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by MENELIK1: 7:56am On May 06, 2016
Naija9090:

y0ruba nah...always dragging feet with Igbos as if they are mate! SMH
Drag with who? Please take your drugs now, that thing is getting out of hand

4 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by idris4r83(m): 7:58am On May 06, 2016
miftauferrets:
Top 5 African Authors of All Time
1. Chinua
Achebe
Chinua Achebe is
one of the best
African
authors who have
contributed a lot in
the field of African
literature. He was
born in 1930, and
schooled at the
University of Ibadan,
Nigeria. His first
groundbreaking
novel titled ‘Things
Fall Apart” was
published in 1958.
This novel made
Chinua Achebe very
popular and it was
then translated to
over 50 languages
due to its high
demand. Later, he
served as the
professor of David
and Marianna Fisher
University as well as
a professor of
African Studies at
the Brown
University in the
Providence, Rhode
Island. He died early
2013 at the age of
82 years old, in
Boston,
Massachusetts.
2. Wole
Soyinka
Wole Soyinka is also
one of the great
heroes in the list of
top and best African
authors who have
won great awards
and honours in the
world of literature.
He was born in
1934 in Nigeria and
he became the first
African author to be
awarded the Nobel
Prize award in
literature. Late
1950’s, he wrote his
very first important
play titled ‘A Dance
of the Forests’ that
satirizes a fledgling
nation by
highlighting that the
present days is no
longer a golden age
than was in the
past. In some cases,
his writing focuses
on the modern West
Africa in a style of
satire, but his belief
and serious intent
in the evils
fundamentals in the
practice of power
are common in his
present work.
3. Amos
Tutuola
Amos Tutuola was
born in 1920,
Abeokuta in
Western Nigeria and
died in 1997. He
was a self-taught
African author who
usually focused his
literature on the
Yoruba folk tales. He
became popular
after gaining the
world fame with his
best story ‘The Palm-
Wine Drunkard’ that
completed in 1946.
4. Camera
Laye
Camera Laye was
born in 1928 in
Kouroussa, Upper
Guinea and later
died in 1980. He
was the first African
author from
a French-
speaking African
country. His French
novel “L’Enfant noir”
made him one of
the best and
important novelists
from the French-
speaking country in
Africa.
5. Dinaw
Mengestu
Dinaw Mengestu
was also one of the
best African
authors who have
contributed greatly
in the field of
African literature. He
was born in 1978 in
Addis Ababa the
capital city of
Ethiopia. He moved
to the USA together
with his sister and
mother two years
after his birth, to
reunite with his
father who had previously fled the country during the Red Terror. He graduated from Georgetown University. So far, he has written two novels titled “The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears” which was established in 2007 and “How to Read the Air” established in 2010. He also recently received a MacArthur Foundation, usually known as “genius grant”.
what of ngugi wathiongo
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by banmee(m): 7:58am On May 06, 2016
IkennaNweke:
Which African writer wrote better than Chinua Achebe?

Of all the African literature read world wide, Things Fall Apart is the most read. So I don't think any African is better except for maybe Wole Soyinka. And that is because he has a nobel prize and Achebe doesn't. In the world cup, who ever has the trophy is better. Abi no be so?

3 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by omajali2003(m): 8:01am On May 06, 2016
After reading Achebe's Anthills of the Savannah, I concluded he was and is still the best.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Spongia1(m): 8:02am On May 06, 2016
N'gugi wa thiongo. His book, "A grain of wheat" is simply magical
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:05am On May 06, 2016
fixedhollies:
The only writer I can boldly say is better than Achebe and the man keeps me wondering if he was a man! The man is D.O Fagunwa. The man who wrote 'igbo olodumare' only yoruba literature readers can understand.
You are right, that man is a good writer also.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by emi14: 8:11am On May 06, 2016
Chinua Achebe's THINGS FALL APART is anything and everything to me. Another excellent work he did "THERE WAS A COUNTRY" wole Soyinka is another genius. A genius is a genius. Any other comparison is your headache .

2 Likes

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by doublewisdom: 8:13am On May 06, 2016
iyke649:
All those shouting Wole Soyinka should go for a medical check up grin grin grin grin
I tell you. No be only Wole Soyinka. Ole Sheneko nko?

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Nnachuka(m): 8:13am On May 06, 2016
We make mockery of artistry when we decide to compare and contrast it, forgetting that creativity is variations of no constant. Art is not target specific, it is for a different set of individuals for whom a specific work( art) was intended for, so a writer might capture me with his/her style of writing while another might not, but me saying that my preference supersedes others is utter delusion. My point of view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by nonjebose(m): 8:21am On May 06, 2016
dapyd1:
You guys forget that we are talking about literature as an art, and using the word 'better' does not capture it.
Depending on the reader, critic or environment the criteria for measuring which writer is better will be entirely different.
Why do humans like putting people in a box by classifying them as better or worse.
We have had a horde of brilliant writers over the past century in the African continent, majority of whom even the OP has not read even if you spend every minute of your life reading.

The question is subjective and can only lead to arguments and counter-arguments.

My two cents though.
. Dude, this is way beyond two cents. Excellent post

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Chijosky(m): 8:22am On May 06, 2016
mungo park
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by mzzhavilah(f): 8:23am On May 06, 2016
Orikinla:
. Camara Laye was better than Chinua Achebe. And if you have not read Laye, please SHUT UP and don't reply my comment. Too many ignorant comments on this topic by those who don't read.
Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by mzzhavilah(f): 8:31am On May 06, 2016
Orikinla:
u shut up do u even kn wot literature is,u read and don't understand and share ur dumb,frustrated view.dont blame ur dumb relentless countenance for speakin trash,only Camara Laye wen u don read people no go hear word idiot,abege carry ur illegal view jump in front of train.

1 Like

Re: Which African Writer Wrote Better Than Chinua Achebe? by Tellemall: 8:33am On May 06, 2016
dapyd1:

My two cents though.

Literature is an art, but a well written book will be appreciated by even those who cannot see beauty in words.

We are talking about known works here. And there are works that are better than some others. You can speak of genres differing, but not going as far as to say that no work is better than the other. What are the qualities of a good book? That it can be critiqued implies that there are grades.

Storytellers paint on the canvass of the mind, the better painter will provoke the greater images.

As for other writers, Ngugi wa Thiongo leaves an impression. Go to East Africa, Kenya, and read till you drop with satisfaction. Those guys are good. Also Mda.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! / Sites To Read Novels Online / Two Can Play The Game Season 2 - A Game For Love & Marriage - Extended - LIVE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.