Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? (14067 Views)

When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? / Guys Pouring Wine On New Car To "Wash" It (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by emhoonline(m): 7:44am On May 10, 2016
Me dey always wash my Golf 4 regularly expecially wen I entered mud area

It also enhance cool engine sound

Am about taking it to car wash now be4 I open dis tread...body, engine and radiator is what I am going for now.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by tete7000(m): 7:59am On May 10, 2016
Lost the alternator of my car to that. So afraid to do it again.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by akanniade10(m): 8:02am On May 10, 2016
Ejehjoe:
I have learnt much from post. I have finally concluded not to wash my car engine again save dusting and minor cleanings as directed above. God bless the poster. Worthy of occupying front page!

Amen!!! Learning a lot from these posts. obviously the practice works for some while some have had bad experiences. Maybe it all boils down to the Car Wash *just saying
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Jyde81: 8:12am On May 10, 2016
sdkalu:
I did so to my car 2 year ago, my car had not recovered from that shock. It was the Genesis of my car engine problem. I kept changing and changing until i left the car for up to 1 year after which my pastor redidcated the car and since then it is working but not like before. Up till this moment my car ac is not working etc.

I don't advice any one to do that.
Lol! I have washed my vehicle engine a coupke of times and quite frankly nothing negative hws happened till date. If anything the engine works better. I use a 2007 Honda Accord(Discussion Continue
)
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by jamace(m): 8:20am On May 10, 2016
I like seeing my car engine neat and shiny.

I wash my engine once it is dirty for my liking. Sometimes 3 months or 4 months.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by eromspete(m): 8:22am On May 10, 2016
Hope your insurance covers your practice below. Cleaning engine parts with fuel is not recommended smiley

d33types:
never..

a rag or foam dipped in fuel can be used to clean any dirty parts

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by eromspete(m): 8:26am On May 10, 2016
I get a jet wash on mine 6 times a year. grin

B7 2008, AUDI A4 owner here. No wahala at all
Don't think i will do same in Naija sha..
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by revolt(m): 8:32am On May 10, 2016
The Genesis of my cars issues, was that fateful day and ediot car washer, poured a full bucket of water on my engine. The car slept there and was finally towed to mechanic workshop. Ple a se ure engine has no biz with water.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by sheyishay: 8:35am On May 10, 2016
Thanks for this topic oooo. I've been thinking about having my Honda Accord engine washed but with these comments right now ,will not and never will.

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by OKorowanta: 8:38am On May 10, 2016
billyG:

make sure u dnt start d car until dry completely.

Thanks so much.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by ogawisdom(m): 8:41am On May 10, 2016
Engine wash esp without steam is a bad practice.

If u must wash it do it only during harmattan period with hot steam by a skilled technician who kws sensitive parts to cover
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Questyjayblack(m): 8:42am On May 10, 2016
U can wash the engine periodically It should be done by a professional in ur brand of car.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by udy4real(m): 8:50am On May 10, 2016
titosantana:
I did that once and I vow never to do it again. This happened two years ago.

It happened thus: after the watching, car refused to start, the mechanic I called had to work on it for like 2hrs before it eventually start. Meen that was so painful for I had lots to do that day.

Won't try it again after I washed my engine some 2 years ago and after washing I left d car wash around 7pm and before I could drive like 200 meters my car stopped,I tried to start again for d next hour but it refused,looked for any rewire or mechanic to help but they had all gone had to get some boys to push me to a filling station and look for a hotel nearby to save my head,woke up very early to go fix it and was told dat my alternator was burnt,terrible experience
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by newfound2012: 9:32am On May 10, 2016
I have lost count of the no of times I have washed my Camry Tiny light engine and I have never had any issue(s), though I have heard stories similar to what am reading now. so I think is a function of car brand and type,but come to think of it, our engines takes in a lot of water during heavy downpour and it doesn't give and I have not heard all the sour stories am hearing now
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 9:58am On May 10, 2016
The only issue with water ingress when an engine is steam cleaned, is compromised electrical connectors. If they have been "modified", then these connectors won't be water proof. Water in such areas can cause short circuits, partial or total.

Alternators are seldom waterproof, and are designed to operate even if water gets in under normal operation conditions. When driving in pouring rain, the engine bay does get wet, through the front grille, as well as from underneath the car. The fan also throws water over all components, including the alternator, ignition coil etc. If this will put a car out of action, then there's a problem.

Even with my mom's old Peugeot 504 GL, I washed the engine regularly with a hose and stiff brush, the only vulnerable area was the distributor, which I protected with a plastic carrier bag. This car never had any issues stemming from regular engine washing, and the engine bay looked mint. We lived in Benin City, with it's red dust, so I washed the engine and the bay once every 2 weeks.

My Audi A4 Quattro engine is steam cleaned / pressure washed on a regular basis, I have been doing this for over 20 years, and I'm yet to suffer any catastrophic failure. On occasion, I have had a misfire, which has cleared itself as the engine warmed up, but this was in the early days. Now I run the engine till it's warm, then proceed to steam clean it while it's still running. Which is a similar condition to driving in heavy rain conditions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 10:05am On May 10, 2016
ataspray:
lol what cars do you people drive biko? from what I am reading here, it seems people dont wash their engines because they feel some problem would arise from doing that?

It isn't about the type of car people drive but the inexperienced car wash operators who have no clue how proper engine wash is conducted and end up destroying your electrical components.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by kingreign(m): 10:09am On May 10, 2016
Siena:
The only issue with water ingress when an engine is steam cleaned, is compromised electrical connectors. If they have been "modified", then these connectors won't be water proof. Water in such areas can cause short circuits, partial or total.

Alternators are seldom waterproof, and are designed to operate even if water gets in under normal operation conditions. When driving in pouring rain, the engine bay does get wet, through the front grille, as well as from underneath the car. The fan also throws water over all components, including the alternator, ignition coil etc. If this will put a car out of action, then there's a problem.

Even with my mom's old Peugeot 504 GL, I washed the engine regularly with a hose and stiff brush, the only vulnerable area was the distributor, which I protected with a plastic carrier bag. This car never had any issues stemming from regular engine washing, and the engine bay looked mint. We lived in Benin City, with it's red dust, so I washed the engine and the bay once a very 2 weeks.

My Audi A4 Quattro engine is steam cleaned / pressure washed on a regular basis, I have been doing this for over 20 years, and I'm yet to suffer any catastrophic failure. On occasion, I have had a misfire, which has cleared itself as the engine warmed up, but this was in the early days. Now I run the engine till it's warm, then proceed to steam clean it while it's still running. Which is a similar condition to driving in heavy rain conditions.

new idea learnt. Will try this soon.
Ive always washed my car engine regularly and the engines of my customers cars especially after an engine or transmission job which may leave oil, grease or dirt stains.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by akanniade10(m): 10:13am On May 10, 2016
Siena:

Alternators are seldom waterproof, and are designed to operate even if water gets in under normal operation conditions. When driving in pouring rain, the engine bay does get wet, through the front grille, as well as from underneath the car. Now I run the engine till it's warm, then proceed to steam clean it while it's still running. Which is a similar condition to driving in heavy rain conditions.

So in other words, it is good practice to steam wash the engine while it's running
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by titosantana(m): 10:25am On May 10, 2016
udy4real:

Won't try it again after I washed my engine some 2 years ago and after washing I left d car wash around 7pm and before I could drive like 200 meters my car stopped,I tried to start again for d next hour but it refused,looked for any rewire or mechanic to help but they had all gone had to get some boys to push me to a filling station and look for a hotel nearby to save my head,woke up very early to go fix it and was told dat my alternator was burnt,terrible experience
Pathetic!

My mechanic once wanted to wash it for me, I said noooo, he should rather wash the body and inside for me. The guy laugh tire that day.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 10, 2016
akanniade10:
So in other words, it is good practice to steam wash the engine while it's running

It's good practice to do what you, and your car's engine is happy with.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by LIQUIMOLY(m): 10:59am On May 10, 2016
Liqui Moly Engine Flush Plus is a specially formulated combination
of additives and carrier fluid. In combination with
the carrier fluid, the highly effective detergent and
dispersant additives dissolve sludge and lacquer
formers. All types of oil-soluble and oilinsoluble
residues are brought into suspension and removed
during the next oil change. An engine which has been
cleaned of deposits and contamination and which is
then filled with fresh oil not contaminated with old
impurities can develop its full performance characteristics.
Properties
- optimal engine performance
- highly economical
- tested for turbochargers and catalytic converters
- does not attack common sealing materials
- gentle cleaning
- rapid cleaning
- suitable for diesel particulate filters
- simple to use without disassembly
- minimizes wear

Damian Nwaiwu
Sales Automotive

C. WOERMANN (NIGERIA) LTD.
P.O. Box 318, Lagos
6, Badejo, Kalesanwo Street
Matori Industrial Estate
Matori, Lagos
Nigeria

Mobile: +234 806 970 5284
Office: +234 01-7730904, +234 01-7736498

E-Mail: damian@woermann-nigeria.com
www.woermann-nigeria.com

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by paulavon: 11:37am On May 10, 2016
When washing your engine do not allow them to use that water pressure machine to wash the engine sensitive parts such as Alternator,coil,nozzle,sensors,fuses,plug area,carburetor in manual cars, kick starters,etc.They should wash these parts with rag and little water.
You need to be there to guide them and ensure that those sensitive parts are well covered with polythene bag or rags.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by greggng: 12:00pm On May 10, 2016
Engine wash is very necessary. Anytime I ply. Any dirty road and I. Discover. My engine is dirty, I must wash it. Must people complaining here are not using toyota. With toyota cars no shakin. All the needed is to cover the alternator and block side and u re good to go. Washing ur engine and radiator could be a permanent solution to overheating
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 10, 2016
paulavon:
When washing your engine do not allow them to use that water pressure machine to wash the engine sensitive parts such as Alternator,coil,nozzle,sensors,fuses,plug area,carburetor in manual cars, kick starters,etc. They should wash these parts with rag and little water.
You need to be there to guide them and ensure that those sensitive parts are well covered with polythene bag or rags.

With all the parts and areas you've listed as "sensitive", you might as well not bother washing the engine, and only drive the car when it's not raining.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 10, 2016
greggng:
Engine wash is very necessary. Anytime I ply. Any dirty road and I. Discover. My engine is dirty, I must wash it. Must people complaining here are not using toyota. With toyota cars no shakin. All the needed is to cover the alternator and block side and u re good to go. Washing ur engine and radiator could be a permanent solution to overheating

Actually, most people complaining here are using Toyota.

Besides, there are other cars in the world besides Toyota.

Out of interest, how do you cover the "block side"?
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by gerrard82: 1:11pm On May 10, 2016
sdkalu:
I dont advice any one to do that. Since i washed my car engine my car is yet to recover from the shock.
mind you bro, there are places you need to cover up before you start washing it,cos I do wash my car engine twice a month.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 10, 2016
This is the engine bay in my 2000 Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quad Cam 30V Quattro Sport:

This is the engine bay in my 2000 Audi A4 4.2 V8 Quad Cam 40V Quattro Sport (V8 conversion):

This is the engine bay in my 2000 Audi A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quad Cam 24V Quattro Sport:

These are 16-year-old cars, and their engine bays are pretty clean. The V8 is a very modern engine, loaded with "sensors", as Nigerian mechanics would tell you. Yet I absolutely blitz it with a pressure washer lance, and not a single DTC, check engine light or rough running.

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by greggng: 1:27pm On May 10, 2016
Siena:

Actually, most people complaining here are using Toyota.

Besides, there are other cars in the world besides Toyota.

Out of interest, how do you c

over the "block side"?

The guy that does the job uses a thick lylon bag with black tape.also he ensure he observe carefulness in handling such sensetive parts. Never had any issues though
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by peterjero(m): 3:24pm On May 10, 2016
Siena:

Even with my mom's old Peugeot 504 GL, I washed the engine regularly with a hose and stiff brush, the only vulnerable area was the distributor, which I protected with a plastic carrier bag. This car never had any issues stemming from regular engine washing, and the engine bay looked mint. We lived in Benin City, with it's red dust, so I washed the engine and the bay once every 2 weeks.

Daddy Siena if I got you right, you mean you wash the engine when car is running, isn't there a possibility of contraction of the engine as heat expand metal and water contracts. Just learning because I had a misfire once which I traced to the distributor, I then removed and cleaned with gasoline and I was good to go. This happened in my Camry but haven't washed the benz engine once just afraid of German electricals.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 10, 2016
peterjero:

Daddy Siena if I got you right, you mean you wash the engine when car is running, isn't there a possibility of contraction of the engine as heat expand metal and water contracts. Just learning because I had a misfire once which I traced to the distributor, I then removed and cleaned with gasoline and I was good to go. This happened in my Camry but haven't washed the benz engine once just afraid of German electricals.

There is no risk of engine contraction when pressure washing while it's running. This could only happen if there was no coolant in the motor, and it was seriously overheating through being run dry.

Washing a running engine is no different from driving the car while it's raining.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by suteco16: 4:13pm On May 10, 2016
I have never done this and I wil never do it!

It does not stop car from working proper to my own understanding ooo!
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 10, 2016
suteco16:
I have never done this and I wil never do it!

It does not stop car from working proper to my own understanding ooo!

No one's forcing you to wash your engine, no one claimed leaving your engine bay a mess prevents it from working.

However...consider what accumulated grit and dust does to an engine. Besides looking unsightly, it retains moisture, causing corrosion to cast-iron blocks, oxidisation to aluminium cylinder heads and rust on exposed nuts and bolts. Also, a very dirty block (oil-soaked dust and grit) will not dissipate heat efficiently, making the engine run hotter than it should.

Fast forward a year or two, and some maintenance is required. Those nuts and bolts are likely to be seized solid with rust, and this is when bolts and studs can snap in the cylinder block or cylinder head.

It's your car though, so you decide. I do know however, that I would not even consider purchasing a used car with a dirty, mud-encrusted or oil-stained engine / engine bay, unless I was buying the car to break up for spares. It just smacks of neglect. At least it does to me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Classier! A White Audi Q7 And A White Mercedes Benz Cls 500 / Bajaj Is About To Buy Ducati / 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.