Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes (19695 Views)

$1.2bn Zungeru Power Plant Completion Date Shifted To 2020 / Century Power Begins 2000mw Power Plant Construction In Anambra / Photos Of President Buhari As He Resumes Work Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by kayfra: 6:40pm On May 07, 2016
Construction works has resumed at the site of the 700 megawatts (MW) Zungeru power plant in Niger State, after the federal government facilitated an out of court settlement by parties involved in the dispute, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has said.

The minister disclosed this while delivering a lecture titled Nigeria’s Electricity Challenge: A roadmap for change, at a public lecture in Lagos yesterday.

Fashola explained that although the project which was held up in court for several years, is now three years behind, the dispute has been resolved, parties are out of court and over 800 workers are back on site.

While noting that this would deliver incremental power, he added that government is working to consider alternative and sustainable fuel supply to the 215MW plant in Kaduna which was designed to use gas, but is located several hundred kilometers away from gas sources, stressing that government has resolved never to site power plants far away from their fuel source.

“To achieve this, we are working round-the-clock within the ministry, and with other ministries like Solid Minerals, Water Resources and Ministry of Environment, to deliver an energy mix that will assist power production, investors and all stakeholders on how to site solar power in the North, hydro power in the North and North-Central, coal in the North Central and South East and gas in the South-West and South-South.

“This is our roadmap to incremental power, because it not only makes the power cheaper, if the fuel is nearer, but it makes it easier to plan and execute transmission plan, to ensure the power is evacuated and distributed,” he said.

Other imminent power sources listed by the minister as important to the quest for incremental power include the 40MW Kasimbilla power plant, the Katsina 10 MW wind and the 222 MW Gbarain plant in Bayelsa State.

He added that “There are also those who just require gas to operate and deliver full power such as the AES 240 MW plant in Lagos, the Geregu I and II plants in Kogi state where four turbines of 115 MW each simply do not have gas, the Omotosho and Olorunsogo power plants where only three turbines out of 12 turbines are working, and with the supply of gas we can increase power from the present 160MW to over 600MW,” Fashola stated.

Speaking further on the roadmap for incremental power, the minister stated that there are also plans by this administration to complete about 2,100 inherited rural electricity projects which should have been completed by law since 2006.

Credit: Leadership. 06-05-2016

http://leadership.ng/business/524012/construction-700mw-zungeru-power-plant-resumes-fashola

18 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by wilybebsy(m): 6:44pm On May 07, 2016
Nice one... let the change begin grin grin grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 07, 2016
good news

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by DropShot: 6:49pm On May 07, 2016
So, the Change was waiting for Baba's signature on the budget?

Some of us actually opined that once the budget is signed, the economy will experience more life. I'm confident that the next one to two months will herald more good news.

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by kayfra: 6:51pm On May 07, 2016
DropShot:
So, the Change was waiting for Baba's signature on the budget?

Change needs financial backing. The country has been operating on a supplemental budget based on GEJ's shoe string budget.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by YoursGEJ(m): 6:52pm On May 07, 2016
Fashola for President (2023-2031). Wailers can continue to wail

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 07, 2016
I hear
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by malton: 6:56pm On May 07, 2016
Way to go!

Baba is already enroute delivering at least 10,000 MW of power. Good enough for a start.

So basically, we can get roughly 3050+3050+700+? (This is assuming that they follow through with both the Mambilla Power Plant and the other Taraba one).

I got my hopes high cos Baba Fash got this!

The man should offer free deliverance sessions, cos he always delivers!

grin

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:57pm On May 07, 2016
I thought Omotosho power plant is hydro-powered.

Well, here are good dreams, I wish and pray this Government succeed in their effort to make all these a reality.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by UAE123(m): 6:57pm On May 07, 2016
Nigeeia will b a better country for it if d Buhari administration can fully focus on delivering an adequate power supply to d people of Nigeria bcus it will boost business activities in d country

17 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by chinchum(m): 7:07pm On May 07, 2016
Keep on the good work my man, your enemies will confess by 2017.

26 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:08pm On May 07, 2016
UAE123:
Nigeeia will b a better country for it if d Buhari administration can fully focus on delivering an adequate power supply to d people of Nigeria bcus it will boost business activities in d country

You've said it all cool cool cool cool

7 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Beremx(f): 7:19pm On May 07, 2016
This kind of news makes me glad.
thumbs up Fashola.

21 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 7:21pm On May 07, 2016
Sentiment aside, has anybody noticed that Fashola hasn't introduced any initiative on power improvement apart from recycling existing roadmap which he and other APC leaders (including Buhari) roundly condemned in the past? Having accused the last govt of awarding power projects to its cronies, one would have expected this govt to embark on massive review of the power contracts toward fast tracking electricity improvement but alas, it's déjà vu. Well, we know Buhari can't touch the owners of the GENCOs and DISCOs. Na only Dasuki, Deziani, Obanikoro FFK etc dem fit probe.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by malton: 7:22pm On May 07, 2016
FOLYKAZE:
I thought Omotosho power plant is hydro-powered.

Well, here are good dreams, I wish and pray this Government succeed in their effort to make all these a reality.

No, It's gas-powered!

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Standing5(m): 7:27pm On May 07, 2016
The last regime started numerous project in a bid to campaign with them. Lots of such project with low completion % but high payment %. God will see us through.

12 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by kayfra: 7:28pm On May 07, 2016
OLADD:
Sentiment aside, has anybody noticed that Fashola hasn't introduced any initiative on power improvement apart from recycling existing roadmap which he and other APC leaders (including Buhari) roundly condemned in the past? Having accused the last govt of awarding power projects to its cronies, one would have expected this govt to embark on massive review of the power contracts toward fast tracking electricity improvement but alas, it's déjà vu. Well, we know Buhari can't touch the owners of the GENCOs and DISCOs. Na only Dasuki, Deziani, Obanikoro FFK etc dem fit probe.

That's not true. Watch this space in a few days.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by olafum1(m): 7:30pm On May 07, 2016
There is no light in my area in Akure for the past One year o

Help needed.. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Standing5(m): 7:34pm On May 07, 2016
OLADD:
I was expecting your type already. You accuse Fashola of continuation when you should talking about holding the last admin accountable for paying large percentage of project cost but leaving relatively little work on ground for Fashola. By pointing out fashola continuation of Power Sector Roadmap you make it seem as if construction of power plant is a new invention or the average illeterate out there doesn't know we need them in this country.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 7:35pm On May 07, 2016
kayfra:

That's not true. Watch this space in a few days.

What's not true? That Buhari and Fashola ostensibly chose not to probe the power sector because of the bigwigs involved? Tell me another story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Standing5(m): 7:36pm On May 07, 2016
olafum1:
There is no light in my area in Akure for the past One year o

Help needed.. cry cry
So whose fault is it? Stop making up stories and tell us your area. I am sure people will debunk that wicked lie in no time.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 07, 2016
OLADD:
Not true, and will it be fair if those project was abandone because it was started by the previous govt. Like wike abandone the monorail because it was started by ameachi?

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:40pm On May 07, 2016
malton:

No, It's gas-powered!

Pls educate me.

Why is the plant turbine built inside Oluwa river?

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by malton: 7:48pm On May 07, 2016
FOLYKAZE:

Pls educate me.

Why is the plant turbine built inside Oluwa river?

Because power plants use water for cooling.

11 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:50pm On May 07, 2016
malton:

Because power plants use water for cooling.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 7:54pm On May 07, 2016
Standing5:
I was expecting your type already. You accuse Fashola of continuation when you should talking about holding the last admin accountable for paying large percentage of project cost but leaving relatively little work on ground for Fashola. By pointing out fashola continuation of Power Sector Roadmap you make it seem as if construction of power plant is a new invention or the average illeterate out there doesn't know we need them in this country.

Pls point to any part of my posts both past and current where I accused Fashola of continuing with existing projects other than picking him up on inability to initiate new initiatives to fastrack the power re-engineering process. If you had read my post before criticising, you would have noticed the part where I dressed him down on failure to review the existing power roadmap having condemned it in the past. Read carefully before reacting pls.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 07, 2016
But where is lalasticlala sef

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by 989900: 7:57pm On May 07, 2016
OLADD:

Lack of continuity has been our bane, are you saying he should abandon the uncompleted ones to start new ones? BTW, he his only 6 months in office.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 8:01pm On May 07, 2016
MrTruth4real:

Not true, and will it be fair if those project was abandone because it was started by the previous govt. Like wike abandone the monorail because it was started by ameachi?

The article says the project was put on hold due to litigations and conflicts among vested stakeholders. Not necessarily intended to be outrightly abandoned.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Stalwert: 8:03pm On May 07, 2016
Why some useless fools are bombing pipelines here and there sensible people are making Nigeria a great place to live ride team change

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by ckmayoca: 8:03pm On May 07, 2016
Better idea. This is better than than the yeye nuclear energy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Standing5(m): 8:15pm On May 07, 2016
OLADD:

Pls point to any part of my posts both past and current where I accused Fashola of continuing with existing projects other than picking him up on inability to initiate new initiatives to fastrack the power re-engineering process. If you had read my post before criticising, you would have noticed the part where I dressed him down on failure to review the existing power roadmap having condemned it in the past. Read carefully before reacting pls.
why not you pick out what's inaccurate in my post. Stop changing stance.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Hope Uzordinma Orders Contractors Back To Site Within 72 Hours / New Year: Tinubu Promises New Minimum Wage For Workers / Sanwo-Olu Promising To End Apapa Warf Gridlock In The First 100 Days (Throwback)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.