Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes (19715 Views)

$1.2bn Zungeru Power Plant Completion Date Shifted To 2020 / Century Power Begins 2000mw Power Plant Construction In Anambra / Photos Of President Buhari As He Resumes Work Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by TomLepskie(m): 2:19am On May 08, 2016
((( While noting that this would deliver incremental power, he added that government is working to consider alternative and sustainable fuel supply to the 215MW plant in Kaduna which was designed to use gas, but is located several hundred kilometers away from gas sources.

stressing that government has resolved never to site power plants far away from their fuel source.

“To achieve this, we are working round-the-clock within the ministry, and with other ministries like Solid Minerals, Water Resources and Ministry of Environment, to deliver an energy mix that will assist power production, investors and all stakeholders on how to site solar power in the North, hydro power in the North and North-Central, coal in the North Central and South East and gas in the South-West and South-South. )))

Here comes the solution if well implemented, Solar/Hydro power in the North,Coal in the South East and Gas in the South West and South south.

All this yrs the only excuse all the previous govts have been giving to Nigerians for NEPA inefficiency is either shortage of gas or pipeline vandalization but with this new development the Niger delta militants ll only be doing harm to themselves if they choose to vandalize gas pipelines.

Siting power plants close to their energy source and not relying solely on gas to power this plants is the solution.PMB/BRF is a perfect team cuz it's one thing to hv a good minister and another to give him a free hand and political backing to do his job, after all it was in this country that berth nnaji was forced to resign simply because he was stepping on toes, how can you change things progressively in a country like Nigeria without stepping on toes, God less PMB.common sense is not acquired through PHD.

Could this be the reason the NDA rushed to bomb gas pipelines immediately the budget was read because they were amazed with the smile and confidence on Baba's face while signing the budget?they want to undermine the genuine efforts of PMB abi?God pass them.
PDP the best way to play the role of opposition party is not by undermining the efforts and achievements of the government in power but by criticizing constructively. By so doing Nigeria ll be a better place for us all.
So call your Niger delta boys to order for them not to be treated as common criminals.

5 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by AbuMaryam1(m): 2:41am On May 08, 2016
YoursGEJ:
Fashola for President (2023-2031). Wailers can continue to wail

This will likely happen, because minorities are resting muscles with the majority.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 4:29am On May 08, 2016
emerged01:

Nothing you can fast track about PHCN. It will take a lot of years to witness improvement in power.

But the man said providing power in 8 months isn't a rocket science contrary to the view you're expressing now. Let's think before talking or writing. OK?
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 4:36am On May 08, 2016
fizufizy:
tell your militants to stop bombing pipelines and see if power won't be steady.

So after striving to provide power and security to our homes through generators and local vigilante, we would be the ones chasing militants? What's the primary function of Buhari and Fashola in govt? Haba!
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 4:48am On May 08, 2016
Yungbitz:

If you ain't myopic you will see a new initiative proffered by him aside his belief in continuity...Siting power plants far away from Fuel source has always been a wrong decision..gas pipelines will always be vandalized but if the distance is very close to the plant..you partially eliminate the Vandals out of the equation and thus constant gas supply to Power stations becomes inevitable

If you're not daft, how's this an initiative that's a clearcut departure from the age long dependence on hydro and gas power scheme that has led Nigeria to nowhere? Why are you Nigerians easily deceived by tokenism and pettiness? Changing power plant location matrix has suddenly become a big deal? How would that increase the generation capacity of the plants?Gosh!
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by defash8: 5:42am On May 08, 2016
Fashola been a smart lawyer has successfully change the theme of music from uninterruptible power supply to incremental, smart dude.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by olalat(m): 5:45am On May 08, 2016
Oga or madam, wc rdmap u continue mentioning nah. Mambilla power plant design has been put in place since 60s or 70s if im nt mistaking. Look at second niger bridge jonathan campaign wt as far bk as 2010, only 4 him to start d design when election was near. Are u telling me concession arrangement on lagos/Ibadan express was nt a lofty idea, what was d achievement on it? See, Our problem has never bn laws, programs, policies, roadmap or wtever. It has always bn political will to implement such covered by greed, corruption and unpatriotism. Are we suppose to be talking of any roadmap at this stage of our national existence? Our past leaders are failure. I pray pmb does nt fail.
OLADD:

Pls point to any part of my posts both past and current where I accused Fashola of continuing with existing projects other than picking him up on inability to initiate new initiatives to fastrack the power re-engineering process. If you had read my post before criticising, you would have noticed the part where I dressed him down on failure to review the existing power roadmap having condemned it in the past. Read carefully before reacting pls.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by 989900: 6:16am On May 08, 2016
AdamsBashforth:

That is not what the writer is saying. Just acknowledge when you see something good, that is all. Most projects initiated by the GEJ administration were well thought out. It is also good that the current minister is continuing. I am also convinced that Elrufai must be regretting the way he ridiculed the office of the presidency. You can imagine what our dear president is going through. The youths struggle to out do each other by calling the president unprintable names.

Your point again?
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Thatitan234(m): 6:47am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

What's not true? That Buhari and Fashola ostensibly chose not to probe the power sector because of the bigwigs involved? Tell me another story.

The sales are already complete and law binding, invalidating or trying to invalidate them will just lead to more crises - prolonged legal battle, shutdown of the companies and so on. so I believe its better they work it out this way.
cheers
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by emmygzy(m): 6:54am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

No, compatriot. No rational thinking person would canvass for discontinuation of existing projects for new ones They must be complimentary. However, I find it unreconcilable for Fashola and Buhari not to introduce new initiatives that are different from the existing ones which they completely rubbished as a waste prior to the last election. By now, this govt should be focusing on alternative source(s) of power generation other than the gas and hydro powered ones. All the noises made in the rundown to the 2015 elections on electricity turnaround were mere hoax and election winning lies.That's my take.
what of the 40,000 megawatts they promised in 4 years? During campaign and after inauguration.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Amerage(m): 7:00am On May 08, 2016
Federal government just find out that power plant should be built nearer to where the gas is been generated?
I think this government is waking up to there responsibilities

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by emmygzy(m): 7:00am On May 08, 2016
tempest01:
Why site gas plants in kogi when you have to transport gas from the Niger Delta and still evacuate the power to the National Grid?

Why not site Many gas power plants in Akwaibom and other SS states, then put facilities in place to evacuate this. The pipelines to be monitored are now shorter and the raw material is readily available.
that was obasanjos fault. What Jonathan did was to triple the capacity of those gas plant and started laying gas pipeline as well as connecting them to the national grid. APC knew all this but they just wanted to rubbish Jonathan and now theyre continuing his projects that they rubbished. Meanwhile they kept shut on 40,000 megawatts they promised before 2019.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 7:04am On May 08, 2016
emmygzy:
what of the 40,000 megawatts they promised in 4 years? During campaign and after inauguration.

Many sensible Nigerians knew they were lying.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by omokab: 7:16am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

Pls point to any part of my posts both past and current where I accused Fashola of continuing with existing projects other than picking him up on inability to initiate new initiatives to fastrack the power re-engineering process. If you had read my post before criticising, you would have noticed the part where I dressed him down on failure to review the existing power roadmap having condemned it in the past. Read carefully before reacting pls.
I don't want to write on your post before but this your last post will make me to do so. You accuse someone one not initiated one project by himself or by his his government and you are saying you did not condemn him on continuity, which means you are you don't know what you are saying then. If you read very well is not only on last government but the entire PDP govt like the suppose completion of rural electrification since 2006. This is the best government, because had it been is another government like what is happening in state level they will abandon all the project done by the past administration and start there own at fresh but they know it will bring hardship on their people and decided to work on the abandon and over pricing project by the past administration.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by emmygzy(m): 7:16am On May 08, 2016
TomLepskie:
((( While noting that this would deliver incremental power, he added that government is working to consider alternative and sustainable fuel supply to the 215MW plant in Kaduna which was designed to use gas, but is located several hundred kilometers away from gas sources.

stressing that government has resolved never to site power plants far away from their fuel source.

“To achieve this, we are working round-the-clock within the ministry, and with other ministries like Solid Minerals, Water Resources and Ministry of Environment, to deliver an energy mix that will assist power production, investors and all stakeholders on how to site solar power in the North, hydro power in the North and North-Central, coal in the North Central and South East and gas in the South-West and South-South. )))

Here comes the solution if well implemented, Solar/Hydro power in the North,Coal in the South East and Gas in the South West and South south.

All this yrs the only excuse all the previous govts have been giving to Nigerians for NEPA inefficiency is either shortage of gas or pipeline vandalization but with this new development the Niger delta militants ll only be doing harm to themselves if they choose to vandalize gas pipelines.

Siting power plants close to their energy source and not relying solely on gas to power this plants is the solution.PMB/BRF is a perfect team cuz it's one thing to hv a good minister and another to give him a free hand and political backing to do his job, after all it was in this country that berth nnaji was forced to resign simply because he was stepping on toes, how can you change things progressively in a country like Nigeria without stepping on toes, God less PMB.common sense is not acquired through PHD.

Could this be the reason the NDA rushed to bomb gas pipelines immediately the budget was read because they were amazed with the smile and confidence on Baba's face while signing the budget?they want to undermine the genuine efforts of PMB abi?God pass them.
PDP the best way to play the role of opposition party is not by undermining the efforts and achievements of the government in power but by criticizing constructively. By so doing Nigeria ll be a better place for us all.
So call your Niger delta boys to order for them not to be treated as common criminals.
Oga, that is what is called karma. They did worse when they we're in opposition, they rubbished Jonathan's programs and now they're still following his programs, theyve brought nothing new to the table. I can count so many. E.g. TSA, multi national bokoharam fighting force, power projects, e.t.c. I even read an article where lai Mohammed was condemning okonjo iweala when she told the governors that they should save excess crude account and people like amechi and fashola dragged her and jonathan to court. lai Mohammed was supporting the governors, saying okonjo should share the money. Now the same people are saying that he did not save. I can go on and on. They've denied all of their campaign promises. They promised 40,000 megawatts in 4 years and they're now saying getting 7,000 megawatts from the existing plants.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by emmygzy(m): 7:46am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

Many sensible Nigerians knew they were lying.
lolz. Only few Nigerians are sensible jare. The mumu government is just too slow for my liking. One thing I just like about them is seriousness unlike Jonathan that doesn't take serious. And I know der will be enough monitoring of spending, unlike Jonathan that doesnt monitor d money he gave out, hence so many diversion into private pockets. Naija go better
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by muller101(m): 7:56am On May 08, 2016
malton:

Because power plants use water for cooling.
that should be for nuclear reactors only
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by muller101(m): 7:59am On May 08, 2016
Stalwert:
Why some useless fools are bombing pipelines here and there sensible people are making Nigeria a great place to live ride team change
shey na cow milk , ground nut and cocoa dem go use fund the project. Open ur eyes don't reason like ur dullard president.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by billyG(m): 8:03am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:
Sentiment aside, has anybody noticed that Fashola hasn't introduced any initiative on power improvement apart from recycling existing roadmap which he and other APC leaders (including Buhari) roundly condemned in the past? Having accused the last govt of awarding power projects to its cronies, one would have expected this govt to embark on massive review of the power contracts toward fast tracking electricity improvement but alas, it's déjà vu. Well, we know Buhari can't touch the owners of the GENCOs and DISCOs. Na only Dasuki, Deziani, Obanikoro FFK etc dem fit probe.
Did dullard like u read d part he said a case was in court 4 yrs,review an already signed contract?u think they just cancel contract like that b/c u dnt like d person face, or u wnt them 2 demolish d power plants of previous admin?do those plant belong 2 gej or naijerians.Boy grow above ethnic sentiments.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by muller101(m): 8:06am On May 08, 2016
bayulll011:

Site them at ss,so that they will continue to bomb it abi no way,if I were bubu no infrastructural development in that region again,all offices should be relocated to lagos and sw state I don't trust ipob state also they are all child of bitterness and enemy of progress
site it in ND they won't blow them up. Locate it in west then sit bck and enjoy steady power supply. U tap raw materials from ND to power south west. Thief.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by muller101(m): 8:07am On May 08, 2016
tinsel:

I am not sure any investor will be willing to invest in SS now. They will blow up his entire investment in a minute. What they hope to achieve by doing this I don't know.
blow the pipes conveying gas to the plant. How will the plant function.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by billyG(m): 8:07am On May 08, 2016
malton:

Because power plants use water for cooling.
Lie frm an ignoramus,only nuclear power plant need water 4 cooling.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by OLADD: 8:11am On May 08, 2016
billyG:

Did dullard like u read d part he said a case was in court 4 yrs,review an already signed contract?u think they just cancel contract like that b/c u dnt like d person face, or u wnt them 2 demolish d power plants of previous admin?do those plant belong 2 gej or naijerians.Boy grow above ethnic sentiments.

Education is one thing but been wise is another. This is how people like you fail common comprehension in school. Pls point to any part of my post where I mentioned the word CANCEL. There's is a difference between cancel and review. Pls learn to be attentive anywhere you're.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by billyG(m): 8:20am On May 08, 2016
Frm this unvieled Roadmap it means SS & SE will live in darkness while d north will hav constant electricity b/c d useless NDA are blowing gas pipelines while d north will dpnd on coal,hydro,solar & wind 4 electricity.una see una life now!after making sapele,warri a ghost town & ogogoro joints they want 2 extend it 2 other ND towns.make un continue.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by saintdennis(m): 8:48am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:
Sentiment aside, has anybody noticed that Fashola hasn't introduced any initiative on power improvement apart from recycling existing roadmap which he and other APC leaders (including Buhari) roundly condemned in the past? Having accused the last govt of awarding power projects to its cronies, one would have expected this govt to embark on massive review of the power contracts toward fast tracking electricity improvement but alas, it's déjà vu. Well, we know Buhari can't touch the owners of the GENCOs and DISCOs. Na only Dasuki, Deziani, Obanikoro FFK etc dem fit probe.

Bro GOVERNMENT IS CONTINUUM, what you should applaud is them COMPLETING EXISTING PROJECTS even very old ones and not practicing the same politics that killed this country. I.e. Abandoning predecessors projects (even from same party). And starting up a new project so as to get all the glory.

This my brother is an aspect of change.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by malton: 8:56am On May 08, 2016
muller101:
that should be for nuclear reactors only

Okay, thanks for the correction. I started following up electricity quite recently, so my knowledge might not be quite as indepth on the subject. I've seen my stated reason as why. Guess it was only a generalization.

billyG:

Lie frm an ignoramus,only nuclear power plant need water 4 cooling.

slowpoke, take your crass self somewhere else!

You don't go about labelling silly tags on people you barely know anything about!
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Nobody: 8:57am On May 08, 2016
989900:

Your point again?
It doesn't really mean someone has an opposing view when you are quoted. You are a little bit aggressive. I agree with what you wrote.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by 989900: 9:12am On May 08, 2016
AdamsBashforth:

It doesn't really mean someone has an opposing view when you are quoted. You are a little bit aggressive. I agree with what you wrote.

I'm sorry if it came off that way, I do not mind intelligent opposing views -- it makes us learn more, however, your response felt like you quoted the wrong person, 'cause it sounded totally not related to my angle.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by vereniken: 9:14am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

No, compatriot. No rational thinking person would canvass for discontinuation of existing projects for new ones They must be complimentary. However, I find it unreconcilable for Fashola and Buhari not to introduce new initiatives that are different from the existing ones which they completely rubbished as a waste prior to the last election. By now, this govt should be focusing on alternative source(s) of power generation other than the gas and hydro powered ones. All the noises made in the rundown to the 2015 elections on electricity turnaround were mere hoax and election winning lies.That's my take.

What's this one saying...where are the funds to start another fresh plan?

When the existing plans were already discussed with international fund partners like in China and th govt didn't follow up. You think any partner will put money into a new one when the old one agreed wasn't implemented?

Sentiments apart..am happy Fasola continued. If someone had continued the OBJ one...tidy up the grey areas and probe if necessary, we wouldn't have lacked power this much.
Thank you.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by yaki84: 11:13am On May 08, 2016
kayfra:
Construction works has resumed at the site of the 700 megawatts (MW) Zungeru power plant in Niger State, after the federal government facilitated an out of court settlement by parties involved in the dispute, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has said.

The minister disclosed this while delivering a lecture titled Nigeria’s Electricity Challenge: A roadmap for change, at a public lecture in Lagos yesterday.

Fashola explained that although the project which was held up in court for several years, is now three years behind, the dispute has been resolved, parties are out of court and over 800 workers are back on site.

While noting that this would deliver incremental power, he added that government is working to consider alternative and sustainable fuel supply to the 215MW plant in Kaduna which was designed to use gas, but is located several hundred kilometers away from gas sources, stressing that government has resolved never to site power plants far away from their fuel source.

“To achieve this, we are working round-the-clock within the ministry, and with other ministries like Solid Minerals, Water Resources and Ministry of Environment, to deliver an energy mix that will assist power production, investors and all stakeholders on how to site solar power in the North, hydro power in the North and North-Central, coal in the North Central and South East and gas in the South-West and South-South.

“This is our roadmap to incremental power, because it not only makes the power cheaper, if the fuel is nearer, but it makes it easier to plan and execute transmission plan, to ensure the power is evacuated and distributed,” he said.

Other imminent power sources listed by the minister as important to the quest for incremental power include the 40MW Kasimbilla power plant, the Katsina 10 MW wind and the 222 MW Gbarain plant in Bayelsa State.

He added that “There are also those who just require gas to operate and deliver full power such as the AES 240 MW plant in Lagos, the Geregu I and II plants in Kogi state where four turbines of 115 MW each simply do not have gas, the Omotosho and Olorunsogo power plants where only three turbines out of 12 turbines are working, and with the supply of gas we can increase power from the present 160MW to over 600MW,” Fashola stated.

Speaking further on the roadmap for incremental power, the minister stated that there are also plans by this administration to complete about 2,100 inherited rural electricity projects which should have been completed by law since 2006.

Credit: Leadership. 06-05-2016

http://leadership.ng/business/524012/construction-700mw-zungeru-power-plant-resumes-fashola

the only roadmap to constant power supply in nigeria is for states to generate, transmit n distribute their power.
anything short of that will be futile.
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by yaki84: 11:15am On May 08, 2016
Standing5:
I was expecting your type already. You accuse Fashola of continuation when you should talking about holding the last admin accountable for paying large percentage of project cost but leaving relatively little work on ground for Fashola. By pointing out fashola continuation of Power Sector Roadmap you make it seem as if construction of power plant is a new invention or the average illeterate out there doesn't know we need them in this country.

how much was budgetted for power during the last admin?
Re: Construction Of 700MW Zungeru Power Plant Resumes by Yungbitz(m): 11:41am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

If you're not daft, how's this an initiative that's a clearcut departure from the age long dependence on hydro and gas power scheme that has led Nigeria to nowhere? Why are you Nigerians easily deceived by tokenism and pettiness? Changing power plant location matrix has suddenly become a big deal? How would that increase the generation capacity of the plants?Gosh!
A fool will always remain a fool..continue to wallow in your self induced mental decadence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From 74th Birthday Parade For Pres. Buhari Today / Alpha Beta: "Take Back Lagos From Ambode And Tinubu" - Sowore Omoyele / 14 Out Of 35 Ministers Attending FEC As Osinbajo Presides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.