Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers (13581 Views)

Job Scammers Now Using Ex-corpers Info From Nysc Yearbook / God Gave Me A Nice Job As My Xmas Present -PHOTO / Career Tips:surviving Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by petra22(f): 8:36am On May 09, 2016
The situation of things in the country right now has gotten to the level where normal human beings would have reacted by shutting down the economy, going on a nationwide strike or calling for the impeachment and resignation of inefficient government officials. But Nigerians being who we are would rather climb the wall when push comes to shove. We always find a way around every inhumane situation and hardship the country throws in our face. When life shows Nigerians pepper, we make goat meat pepper soup.
Just recently, the National Youth Service Corps passed out thousands of young men and women into the real world; the labour favour market. So before you begin this new phase of your life, here are some tips that would help you conquer the world regardless of whatever pepper Nigeria shows you.

1. Have a wardrobe of well-ironed shirts and corporate outfits: You need to have at least five neatly ironed shirts. I say five because that would take you through five working days. You shouldn’t wait till you are called for an interview on a very short notice before you start thinking of how to wash and iron your outfit because NEPA can decide to show you pepper at any time. Remember, your appearance speaks volume at an interview. And please, you’re no more in school so stop that rubbish of heating up your pressing iron on a camp gas. Always plan your outfits ahead and be ready at the drop of a hat.

2. Buy a power bank: Still on the light issue, power banks have become part of a typical Nigerian’s accessory. I have two power banks and I’m looking at getting a third one but a solar powered one this time around. As a job seeker, you need your mobile gadgets connected to the internet at all times so you can surf the net, apply for jobs, reply emails, read ebooks and so many other things that would most likely drain your battery. We live in the digital age and opportunities disappear as fast as they come. Do you know how many people have missed out on great opportunities all because they were offline when someone posted a vacancy with very limited slots? We live on the fast lane and it’s fastest fingers first.

3. Protect yourself from the sun: all my life in Lagos, I have never experienced this kind of heat going on now. I cannot begin to imagine how hot places like Abuja and other northern states will be like. Except you are fortunate enough to have a car, you will do a lot of trekking under the scotching sun while attending interviews or dropping your CV at various firms. I once trekked from Obalende to Civic Centre for an interview and I think it might be one of the root causes of my recurrent migraine. The sun is merciless but the hustle must continue. For the guys, you can reduce the effect of the sun on you by wearing short-sleeved shirts instead of long-sleeves. Knot your tie and keep it in your bag; wear it when you are close to the interview venue. If you choose to wear a long-sleeved shirt, please don’t wear your jacket while hopping buses, you can simply sling this across your shoulder and put it on when you get to your destination. For the ladies, wear more of smart looking chiffon shirts instead of corporate shirts. They are lighter and you won’t sweat as much. Corporate gowns would do just fine too. Also, invest in sunscreen to protect your skin from sun burns. There are lots of them in cosmetic stores. Then drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, whether you are a guy or a girl.

4. Use the BRT: This one is especially for Lagos residents. There are two BRT options in Lagos, there are the red mostly rickety looking ones and there are the blue fully air-conditioned ones. They are more affordable and comfortable than the nightmares called Danfo. Those guys are very notorious for hiking their bus fares at the slightest opportunity and with the current fuel scarcity and general inflation in the economy, they charge twice to thrice as much as their former rates. The BRTs on the other hand operate at a fixed rate and before they increase their fares (which they rarely do) seculars would have gone round and prior notice given to commuters. They also have a bus card which is cheaper to use in the long run. If you are in a hurry, ditch this option.

May all our hearts’ desires be fulfilled and I hope we all find our dream jobs.
Make your contributions, what are the other ways you think we can survive the harsh realities of our present day Nigeria?

Source: http://strippedmind.com/surviving-in-present-day-nigeria-for-the-ex-corpers/

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by ugojaysly(m): 9:29am On May 09, 2016
Nice one op
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by maxwell767(m): 9:32am On May 09, 2016
God bless you, Nice write up... grin

1 Like

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Category1: 10:17am On May 09, 2016
[size=13pt]thanks op..but u didnt add the hardship we are facing now bxoz of one dullard?[/size]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by MrFlavvor(m): 10:17am On May 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by mmmustapha(m): 10:17am On May 09, 2016
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by jamex93(m): 10:17am On May 09, 2016
Always pray and sleep with cutlass by your side

Fulani might just b close by u can never tell

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Category1: 10:17am On May 09, 2016
Ffc
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Booty4me: 10:18am On May 09, 2016
grin
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Zico5(m): 10:18am On May 09, 2016
The situation is really unbearable but at least life goes on. Only the lazy will suffer no matter how. As u are waiting for better job, make do with what ur hands can grab.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Ask4bigneyo(m): 10:18am On May 09, 2016
Otondos
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by MChaze25(m): 10:19am On May 09, 2016
Nice
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Dapsin2901: 10:19am On May 09, 2016
Awwww you are 100% right nice one bro
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by jay2pee(m): 10:19am On May 09, 2016
nice write up
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by MzPecs(f): 10:19am On May 09, 2016
Well written, encouraging and informative. cool
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by wizkidblogger(f): 10:20am On May 09, 2016
Learn how to blog and it will expose you to many ways you can be making money from home.

Trust me within few months, you won't have time to be submitting CV up and down in the sun. Even if you would still want to work, you will be selective.

2 Likes

Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by mmmustapha(m): 10:20am On May 09, 2016
please someone should advise me on what business to start with 400,000 Naira. just finished my Nysc and I have no work to do.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by wheezie24(m): 10:21am On May 09, 2016
an ex-corper but dz s fr d job seekers tho...

e no "consign" me
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Nobody: 10:21am On May 09, 2016
wow nice write up.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by OLAJADON: 10:22am On May 09, 2016
petra22:
The situation of things in the country right now has gotten to the level where normal human beings would have reacted by shutting down the economy, going on a nationwide strike or calling for the impeachment and resignation of inefficient government officials. But Nigerians being who we are would rather climb the wall when push comes to shove. We always find a way around every inhumane situation and hardship the country throws in our face. When life shows Nigerians pepper, we make goat meat pepper soup.
Just recently, the National Youth Service Corps passed out thousands of young men and women into the real world; the labour favour market. So before you begin this new phase of your life, here are some tips that would help you conquer the world regardless of whatever pepper Nigeria shows you.

1. Have a wardrobe of well-ironed shirts and corporate outfits: You need to have at least five neatly ironed shirts. I say five because that would take you through five working days. You shouldn’t wait till you are called for an interview on a very short notice before you start thinking of how to wash and iron your outfit because NEPA can decide to show you pepper at any time. Remember, your appearance speaks volume at an interview. And please, you’re no more in school so stop that rubbish of heating up your pressing iron on a camp gas. Always plan your outfits ahead and be ready at the drop of a hat.

2. Buy a power bank: Still on the light issue, power banks have become part of a typical Nigerian’s accessory. I have two power banks and I’m looking at getting a third one but a solar powered one this time around. As a job seeker, you need your mobile gadgets connected to the internet at all times so you can surf the net, apply for jobs, reply emails, read ebooks and so many other things that would most likely drain your battery. We live in the digital age and opportunities disappear as fast as they come. Do you know how many people have missed out on great opportunities all because they were offline when someone posted a vacancy with very limited slots? We live on the fast lane and it’s fastest fingers first.

3. Protect yourself from the sun: all my life in Lagos, I have never experienced this kind of heat going on now. I cannot begin to imagine how hot places like Abuja and other northern states will be like. Except you are fortunate enough to have a car, you will do a lot of trekking under the scotching sun while attending interviews or dropping your CV at various firms. I once trekked from Obalende to Civic Centre for an interview and I think it might be one of the root causes of my recurrent migraine. The sun is merciless but the hustle must continue. For the guys, you can reduce the effect of the sun on you by wearing short-sleeved shirts instead of long-sleeves. Knot your tie and keep it in your bag; wear it when you are close to the interview venue. If you choose to wear a long-sleeved shirt, please don’t wear your jacket while hopping buses, you can simply sling this across your shoulder and put it on when you get to your destination. For the ladies, wear more of smart looking chiffon shirts instead of corporate shirts. They are lighter and you won’t sweat as much. Corporate gowns would do just fine too. Also, invest in sunscreen to protect your skin from sun burns. There are lots of them in cosmetic stores. Then drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, whether you are a guy or a girl.

4. Use the BRT: This one is especially for Lagos residents. There are two BRT options in Lagos, there are the red mostly rickety looking ones and there are the blue fully air-conditioned ones. They are more affordable and comfortable than the nightmares called Danfo. Those guys are very notorious for hiking their bus fares at the slightest opportunity and with the current fuel scarcity and general inflation in the economy, they charge twice to thrice as much as their former rates. The BRTs on the other hand operate at a fixed rate and before they increase their fares (which they rarely do) seculars would have gone round and prior notice given to commuters. They also have a bus card which is cheaper to use in the long run. If you are in a hurry, ditch this option.

May all our hearts’ desires be fulfilled and I hope we all find our dream jobs.
Make your contributions, what are the other ways you think we can survive the harsh realities of our present day Nigeria?

Source: http://strippedmind.com/surviving-in-present-day-nigeria-for-the-ex-corpers/

nice write up
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by 0955eb027(m): 10:25am On May 09, 2016
Good points.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by SmithHumble50: 10:26am On May 09, 2016
It is well with u
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by murphyibiam15(m): 10:28am On May 09, 2016
Zico5:
The situation is really unbearable but at least life goes on. Only the lazy will suffer no matter how. As u are waiting for better job, make do with what ur hands can grab.
WORD!
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by murphyibiam15(m): 10:30am On May 09, 2016
wizkidblogger:
Learn how to blog and it will expose you to many ways you can be making money from home.

Trust me within few months, you won't have time to be submitting CV up and down in the sun. Even if you would still want to work, you will be selective.
AM INTERESTED TO KNOW HOW TO BLOG AND HOW I CAN MAKE MONEY FROM IT....CAN U HELP?
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Nobody: 10:33am On May 09, 2016
abeg if you will like to serve again, you can pm me. i will only do the three weeks camp then you take over for the remaining year. you will get all the alewee that will be paid.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by fromnigeria(m): 10:36am On May 09, 2016
The points and title are like bournvita and garri.

All the same kudos.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by caesaraba(m): 10:38am On May 09, 2016
What is "ex-corper?" More like yet-to-be-employed graduate or simply unemployed.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by Dygeasy(m): 10:39am On May 09, 2016
cool
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by tolsh: 10:39am On May 09, 2016
mmmustapha:
please someone should advise me on what business to start with 400,000 Naira. just finished my Nysc and I have no work to do.

Depending on the location you like to invest, I mean the state.
Re: Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers by orobs93(m): 10:41am On May 09, 2016
jamex93:
Always pray and sleep with cutlass by your side

Fulani might just b close by u can never tell

You self

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apply For The Drury Industries Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (30 Positions) / Invitation From Dangote Fertilizer Limited Ibeju Lekki / How Man Scams People With "FG Jobs": Scammer On The Prowl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.