Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,531 members, 7,954,991 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:49 PM

Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle (1356 Views)

What Is The Effect Of An Unstable Menstrual Cycle? / Reasons Why You Should Sleep Naked / Shortening The Menstrual Cycle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 7:11pm On Aug 13, 2009
I need help with correcting my sleep cycle.
I sometimes go to bed at 2am, only to wake at 5:30am to watch TV before going back to sleep at 7am and finally getting out of bed at 8:45am.
I sometimes go to bed at 3:30am and end up getting out of bed at 7am to read or watch TV
There are times I sleep at 1am, get up at 4am and have difficulty falling asleep, so I stay up for 2 hours to browse the computer and finally go back to sleep before getting out of bed when my alarm goes off.

Is there a way to fix this? I have tried sleeping early but it doesn't work. No matter what I usually get up earlier/later than I would like to.
Suggestions?
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2009
lay off the caffine
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2009
Do you work ? If you had a job maybe things might be different,

If you do work, whats ur work schedule like ?
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

lay off the caffine

might be true actually. i usually don't drink coffee, but over the past 8 weeks it has been my standard liquid of choice.
if not coffee then it's fanta or mountain dew.

good to know. i will steer in a different direction.

posakosa:

Do you work ? If you had a job maybe things might be different,

If you do work, whats ur work schedule like ?

not work, school. only thing is, my classes range from like 10am to 8pm.
how does that make things different?
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2009
Stress?
caffine? not only from coffee, but soda too
Isomnia?
Maybe your body is used to late night sleep during school periods?
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:26pm On Aug 13, 2009
C2H5OH:

not work, school.  only thing is, my classes range from like 10am to 8pm.
how does that make things different?

Yea caffeine or sugar might be a problem but the issue is that caffeine wears off pretty quickly: when you urinate or as you sweat. It only gives a quick high and then goes away.

Well, you can leave your biological clock the way it is or create a schedule and train yourself to do follow that schedule.  

After 8pm I imagine you commute home to do some homework ?  When you are ready to sleep turn off all electronics, maybe drink some hot cocoa, and maybe listen to some classical music to relax your brain and mind,

otherwise you may also have some sleep condition/disorder.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 7:28pm On Aug 13, 2009
Stress, caffeine, insomnia- I guess yea all of these things would apply to me. I always thought just sleeping early is enough to fix the irregularity.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 7:34pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

Yea caffeine or sugar might be a problem but the issue is that caffeine wears off pretty quickly: when you urinate or as you sweat. It only gives a quick high and then goes away.
ARe you saying the caffeine is not that much of a problem?

When you are ready to sleep turn off all electronics,
I don't know about that. I leave my TV on whenever I'm home. When I go to bed my TV is the only device in operation. When I wake up my TV is on. Without it I would have to stare at my ceiling while tossing/turning on my bed trying to pass time or fall asleep. Breaking my computer like 2 weeks ago doesn't help either. My only other remedy would be to load my stomach with enough food to make me tired, and after a while that alone would make me want to sleep.

Maybe I need some kind of medication then, yeah?
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

Well, you can leave your biological clock the way it is or create a schedule and train yourself to do follow that schedule.  

After 8pm I imagine you commute home to do some homework ?  When you are ready to sleep turn off all electronics, maybe drink some hot cocoa, and maybe listen to some classical music to relax your brain and mind,

What college student sleep before 2am? Talkless of 8pm?

But oyu made some sense about sweating out the caffine, I was going to suggest some vigorous activities.

Exercise, but then the OP already does that.

I know that this might sound tacky, OP could try some spiritual excercise. Doesnt have to be religious. Just think about stuff. Release yourself [Counseling, been there done that].

Just don't take any sleeping pills, plz
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:39pm On Aug 13, 2009
C2H5OH:

ARe you saying the caffeine is not that much of a problem?

I don't know about that. I leave my TV on whenever I'm home. When I go to bed my TV is the only device in operation. When I wake up my TV is on. Without it I would have to stare at my ceiling while tossing/turning on my bed trying to pass time or fall asleep. Breaking my computer like 2 weeks ago doesn't help either. My only other remedy would be to load my stomach with enough food to make me tired, and after a while that alone would make me want to sleep.
Maybe I need some kind of medication then, yeah?

Yes, Caffeine is NOT much of a problem. Its quickly released out of the body thru Urine or Sweat.

Try turning the TV off. Meditate, pray, or read your bible, or have a reflection moment. Trust moi, its not hard turning the TV off.

If you eat, prior to going to bed, you won't be able to sleep.

No need for medication, all you ought to do is RELAX.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2009
caffeine is not the problem . . . sleeping late is. Get into a comfortable bed no later than 9.30pm, turn off lights, no reading, no sound . . . after a week or two your body will automatically adjust.

side effect of this for me is that i wake up within 3 hrs!  angry

In short . . . if you have the same sleep problem as me, there's no hope for you.  grin Just sleep when you can.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

Yes, Caffeine is NOT much of a problem.  Its quickly released out of the body thru Urine or Sweat.

Try turning the TV off. Meditate, pray, or read your bible,  or have a reflection moment. Trust moi, its not hard turning the TV off.

If you eat, prior to going to bed, you won't be able to sleep.

No need for medication, all you ought to do is RELAX.

Fantastic point . . . i was going to add that too.

Whatever you do dude, dont take sleeping pills!
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2009
FL Gators:

What college student sleep before 2am? Talkless of 8pm?

But oyu made some sense about sweating out the caffine, I was going to suggest some vigorous activities.

Exercise, but then the OP already does that.

I know that this might sound tacky, OP could try some spiritual excercise. Doesnt have to be religious. Just think about stuff. Release yourself [Counseling, been there done that].

Just don't take any sleeping pills, plz

I always slept before 2am. Only stayed up late for exams or when papers were due. So yes its possible.

Exercising before going to sleep could definitely help. Exercise until you are tired, then take a nice shower then go to sleep. Think about all that you can when exercising, that way you'll exercise harder.

Yup, No sleeping pills. Its addictive. Unless you want to meet your creator.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 13, 2009
College students with good time management can sleep before 10pm. In my first yr in college i never went to bed later than 9pm even during exam periods . . . if you read EVERYDAY after classes for no more than 2-3 hrs you wont need crash courses when you have a test. Infact i had my best ever college results in my first yr.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2009
and what happened after the first yr ? tongue tongue tongue
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 7:46pm On Aug 13, 2009
davidylan:

College students with good time management can sleep before 10pm. In my first yr in college i never went to bed later than 9pm even during exam periods . . . if you read EVERYDAY after classes for no more than 2-3 hrs you wont need crash courses when you have a test. Infact i had my best ever college results in my first yr.

yup, I totally agree. Time management: importante! I only read when I needed to. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

and what happened after the first yr ? tongue tongue tongue

women! grin
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Hauwa1: 7:55pm On Aug 13, 2009
TV in a student bedroom is bad. take your tv away. get a leather rich lavender soap and soak your self in the tub with plenty of soothing lavender candles. dry up and go straight to bed.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 7:58pm On Aug 13, 2009
Okay no sleeping pills for sure.
I exercise basically everyday. The gym is my 2nd or 3rd home. And yes I always have to shower after the excess exercise, because I can't bring myself to sleep since the odor/sweat itches my body if I lay down without taking a shower.

I didn't even know that eating immediately before bed is counter-productive to the goal I wanted to accomplish. I always imagined that it aided my sleep.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

I always slept before 2am. Only stayed up late for exams or when papers were due. So yes its possible.

Exercising before going to sleep could definitely help. Exercise until you are tired, then take a nice shower then go to sleep. Think about all that you can when exercising, that way you'll exercise harder.

Yup, No sleeping pills. Its addictive. Unless you want to meet your creator.
Yea, I got you.
I had the same problem and still couldnt sleep early.

@hauwa
kilo so?

take my TRUTV away?

pesin no get liver to try am

@acid
How does eatig b4 sleeping help?
na weight gain be that
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 8:04pm On Aug 13, 2009
I think you are right that better time management would better my odds.  Although I can almost say with 100%  certainty that no college student at this school goes to sleep before 9/10, with the exception of maybe weekends.  The workload is neverending and simply too much.  You can't afford to do that because you will fall behind.
Most students go to class during the day and can only study at night.

*Hauwa*:

TV in a student bedroom is bad. take your tv away. get a leather rich lavender soap and soak your self in the tub with plenty of soothing lavender candles. dry up and go straight to bed.

Ah ahn so that I can become the laughing stock of the boys abi?  LAvender candles, body all soaked up in tub .  chineke

I'm almost never home to watch the thing, except at nights anyhow.

All of last year I didn't even have a TV.
I can't get rid of the TV because I am under contract with comcast cable for at least 6 months.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by C2H5OH(f): 8:05pm On Aug 13, 2009
posakosa:

I only read when I needed to. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
you only crammed when you needed to? if you do that your report card will fill up with C's in a hurry.
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 13, 2009
And some classes end at late 9pm, its impossible
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by posakosa(m): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
C2H5OH:

you only crammed when you needed to?  if you do that your report card will fill up with C's in a hurry.

Didn't cram. No need to. I read to understand. I liked what I was studying but  I was very fond of reading one or two days prior to an exam.

As a marra of fact, I finished with distinctions,  no lele!   wink
Re: Help With Screwed Up Sleep Cycle by oyinda3(f): 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2009
stop exercising at night b4 u go to sleep. that will probably keep u up later
try skipping a day or two of those ur exercises n see of u sleep better.  or maybe exercise earlier in the day than later at night

C2H5OH:

I didn't even know that eating immediately before bed is counter-productive to the goal I wanted to accomplish.  I always imagined that it aided my sleep.

that depends on the individual. eating meals late help some ppl sleep actually.

C2H5OH:

I need help with correcting my sleep cycle.
I sometimes go to bed at 2am, only to wake  at 5:30am to watch TV before going back to sleep at 7am and finally getting out of bed at 8:45am.
I sometimes go to bed at 3:30am and end up getting out of bed at 7am to read or watch TV
There are times  I sleep at 1am, get up at 4am and have difficulty falling asleep, so I stay up for 2 hours to browse the computer and finally go back to sleep before getting out of bed when my alarm goes off.

when did this start? ur sleeping very little I don't even think this is about sleep cycle. more like insomnia. u just have to figure out what's causing it. when did it start and what did u do differently before it started?

(1) (Reply)

The Medicinal Value Of Pawpaw / Prevent Your bosoms From Saggin / Little Known Ways To Burn Ugly Belly Fat FAST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.