Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,506 members, 7,770,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:21 AM

Shortening The Menstrual Cycle - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Shortening The Menstrual Cycle (26690 Views)

Common Misconceptions About The Menstrual Cycle / The Menstrual Circle And How It Take Place / What Is The Effect Of An Unstable Menstrual Cycle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 8:23pm On Sep 20, 2009
hello NL peeps!
well i was wondering if there was any natural remedy to shortern the span of the menstrual cycle.
like i know there are some pills out there for that, and birth control, ect. . .
but i was wondering if there is any NATURAL way to do it, without taking pills.
the side effects they name just sound horrible! id rather not take the risk.

so is there any way i can shorten it from 5 days to 3 days?
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Sissy3(f): 9:02pm On Sep 20, 2009
i am not aware of any safe and proven method to do that, other than going on the BC pills. maybe you could ask your GP at your next physical
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2009
there is this one pill before that gives you 8 periods a year and makes them short, but the side effects were WAY too much.
and BC pills, im scared to take those too.

i hate taking pills as it is. lol
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 9:59pm On Sep 20, 2009
Hi poster

Yes I use it myself because of p pains sad, eating lots of carrots, carotene rich foods and eating and drinking lemons and the juice.
You can buy tablets which contain carotene based substances but I am not sure about doing that.

Some vegetarians or vegans or both pratice this method.

One other thing about eating a lot of carrots or taking carotene pills is that it does have a yellowing effect on the skin, this  really is true which is why I stick to eating and drinking lemons, i make 1 cup of tea from a 1/4 of a lemon 4 times a day. Wash the skin very well.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 10:02pm On Sep 20, 2009
thanks! im going to try that!

i was going to post it, but i didnt want to sound stupid.
but anyway, my friend once ate a lot of lemons during the second day of her period. her period usually last 5 days, like mine, but later that day it just stopped.
maybe it was coincidence?
and then the next month she did it again, and it worked.
but i wasnt too sure if it was her cycle changing or just the lemons.

maybe the lemon idea really is true.

THANKS!!! im going to try it.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2009
THE AMAKA

Yes do use the lemon method, I started with the carrot method but it really did make my skin get a yellow tint, but I have been eating and drinking lemons for the past 2 years and I am now down to a set 5 days from 8, if it does try to linger on the 5th day I take 2 on that day.

One great side effect with  drinking lemons, you will lose weight, I lost 1 1/2  in one year. No room in your tummy for sweets or snacks. grin
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 10:28pm On Sep 20, 2009
lose weight? im not too concerned about that even though im already a really slim girl.
but thanks for the lemon idea. maybe it really does work.
you knocked off 3 days? you had such a long period. lol

i wanna get down to 2 or 3 days at the most.
well THANKS A BUNCH!
MUAH!   kiss
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by LadyT(f): 10:34pm On Sep 20, 2009
I really dont think it is a good idea to fill yourself up on one type of food it will always have side effects!

I doubt you can shorten your period and 5days is not long some people have it for 7-10days which I cannot even imagine.
As you get older your period length will change and regulate.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 10:36pm On Sep 20, 2009
THE AMAKA

Yes i was a bit of a porker, size uk 14   but now 10/12.

Sorry but getting your p to 2 or 3 days would be too short for your health, aim for about 1 day off. Do not put sugar in your lemon tea it will effect your teeth.

Do you know a lot of female athletes have very short or no periods, because they are below a normal body fat ratio.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2009
see lazy women.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Sissy3(f): 10:45pm On Sep 20, 2009
how is lemon and carrot going to help regulate a cycle?
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 10:46pm On Sep 20, 2009
davidylan

No it's not because we are lazy but for the health factor. Periods pains can be very debelating and in some cultures your husband can not partake of his  rights,maybe even  for 10 days.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2009
Sissy

The carrot or carotene effect was found out by accident because people who ate alot of this foodstuff ceased menstruating.They also use carrot tables for tanning.
The lemon thing I am not sure how they found this out But it does work, I use it because I did not want to go on the pill. It is not really regulating just shortening almost like they way some female animals only bleed at some times during the year.

If you are under weight you also sometimes stop having periods.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by LadyT(f): 10:57pm On Sep 20, 2009
MADLADY so when you turn orange from eating carrots or you start farting lemon juice you really think your husband will want to come near you?

Plus I am sure most married people not trying for babies would be on some kind of birth control and I doubt very much it would be condoms.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Sissy3(f): 10:59pm On Sep 20, 2009
madlady:

Sissy

The carrot or carotene effect was found out by accident because people who ate alot of this foodstuff ceased menstruating.They also use carrot tables for tanning.
The lemon thing I am not sure how they found this out But it does work, I use it because I did not want to go on the pill.

If you are under weight you also sometimes stop having periods.

i am fully aware of the low body fat and ceased menstruation, however, yet to know about the correlation between carrot/lemon with the regulation of cycles.

@ Amaka

5days isnt really that long especially after you have passed the first few days of the pain. i wouldnt personally take anything at this stage to regulate it, as you grow it may normalize itself to maybe 4days. and your 5days is withing the normal range of duration.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 11:04pm On Sep 20, 2009
lady T

I do not use the carrot method anymore but carotene based tablets are for sale for tanning so just made me look like I had a slight tan.Lemons and zest artificial or real are used to scent many a perfume so just makes me smell sweet smiley, I have also been told it changes the taste of body fluid lipsrsealed

Some people do not or cannot use the pill, I mentioned it because that  was what the doctor recommend for me to use for my period pains not for contraception
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 11:10pm On Sep 20, 2009
abeg!! i just wanted advice.

and lemons/lemon tea is not the ONLY thing i will be eating.
haaaa
but i consider myself one lucky girl because i dont get cramps. its one less thing for me to worry about.
but i just want my period down to 3 days, thats all.

and yes i know about the under body fat percentage that have women having extreamly short periods or none at all.
but im not underweight, so im not trippin.

and when i get married and start thinking about having kids, then maybe ill go off the diet (if it proves to be a success).
im not even thinking about that now in my life.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 11:12pm On Sep 20, 2009
Sissy

You maybe right about the proof thing. Like the green/white tea thing Or it could just be the extra amount of a certain food stuffs you would be taking in, I just found like the posters friend that it  worked for me, shorter period hence less pain.Do you think if it does work for some people that it could be worse than taking the pill.

I do agree with you that 2/3 days could be bad for your health.

Amaka

I know you are not underweight just chatting about some things I was told when I tried to reduce my period problem and I like you believe anything natural and not taken in excess is fine, I feel the pill would / may give more problems than what we are looking to sort. You will be eating a balance diet just adding one extra lemon a day.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 20, 2009
@OP,
Just take pain killers.
Don't use any drugs to change the cycle.
You can only risk that when you're through with child bearing.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by kellorah: 11:18pm On Sep 20, 2009
Is it that important to have ur period, eventhough you're not trying for a child-not for a few years anyway?

[Sorry bout diverting the topic]
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Sissy3(f): 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2009
kellorah:

Is it that important to have your period, eventhough you're not trying for a child-not for a few years anyway?

[Sorry bout diverting the topic]

yes. i would only say thats not necessary only when youre on the pill. but not having your period and not on any pill that could cause cessation of it, might be an indication of a health problem and needs to be checked out.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by kellorah: 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2009
~Sissy~:

yes. i would only say thats not necessary only when youre on the pill. but not having your period and not on any pill that could cause cessation of it, might be an indication of a health problem and needs to be checked out.
4got to mention that ^^, my bad.

PHEW!!! tongue tongue tongue
Thanks. wink wink wink
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by LadyT(f): 11:39pm On Sep 20, 2009
THE AMAKA:

abeg!! i just wanted advice.

and lemons/lemon tea is not the ONLY thing i will be eating.
haaaa
but i consider myself one lucky girl because i dont get cramps. its one less thing for me to worry about.
but i just want my period down to 3 days, thats all.

and yes i know about the under body fat percentage that have women having extreamly short periods or none at all.
but im not underweight, so im not trippin.

and when i get married and start thinking about having kids, then maybe ill go off the diet (if it proves to be a success).
im not even thinking about that now in my life.

*rolls eyes*

You have a lot of growing up to do. Start a topic then go bonkers before we even get to page two.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Sissy3(f): 11:46pm On Sep 20, 2009
LadyT:

*rolls eyes*

You have a lot of growing up to do. Start a topic then go bonkers before we even get to page two.

i wonder ooo. she said she wanted "advice" and when we started discussing the "advices" given, she made it seem as though we were doing something else undecided
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 2:11am On Sep 21, 2009
well anyway, thanks for those who gave me a little chat about the menstrual cycle.
id rather not take any pill, no thanks.

i guess ill just stick with my 5 day, cramp free, period.
THANKS! kiss
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 21, 2009
no cramps and u dey complain? Come and see what my chick goes through every month as a result of cramps.
Be thankful girl and don't be a wimp.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 2:43pm On Sep 21, 2009
thanks, i kinda realized that now.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Gabry(f): 3:04pm On Sep 21, 2009
Amaka, 5 days its not long.

I have mine for 1 week to 2 weeks
I get frustrated most of the time because of this. , , . And at times my bf is frustrated as well. . . . . . Although he dos not show it but I can see it and I can feel it.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by Oluschenco(m): 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2009
You are an ingrate, my GF's period was formerly 5 days, but now 2 days, she is very sad because of this. So are u not satisfied with what you have.

The last she did is a bit black/too deep, did anyone know the cause & remedy for this
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 12:34am On Sep 23, 2009
well thats your girlfriend, not me.
ill be happy at 2 days even, man i consider her lucky.
but i guess its different things for different people.

but i do think that can effect how fertile you are, but thats a whole nother thing.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by madlady(f): 7:10am On Sep 23, 2009
THE AMAKA

Just another quick chat about lemons, take a look at this site, e.Vegetarian.net, then go to "The Amazing Health Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water" my LT not working well other-wise I would cut and paste or post a link.

I know you can find just about anything on the net to prove or disprove an idea but I really believe it can work, plus I LOVE the other benefits of lemons (i know you do not need said) I even use the used lemons in the bath.

Sometimes changing our period time/length really can be necessary even if not for health reasons, I have a work mate who does this when her husband comes home, he his in the Army, so needs most, she does it with the pill, she's good I would not.
Re: Shortening The Menstrual Cycle by THEAMAKA(f): 7:14am On Sep 23, 2009
thanks. imma check it out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Treat This Stubborn Malaria And Typhoid I Have Had For Over 4 Months? / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / Six Proven Underwear Tips For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.