Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother (23350 Views)

Meet Ossy Achievas, The Man Behind Davido’s 30BG Concert / 'science Student': Olamide Clears Air On The Hit Single. Fans React / Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by robosky02(m): 8:33pm On May 14, 2016
Personality Profile: Prince Nico Mbarga the man behind the hit song “Sweet Mother"

Nico Mbarga (1 January 1950 – 24 June 1997),
better known as Prince Nico Mbarga, was a highlife musician, born to a Nigerian mother and a Cameroonian father in Abakaliki, Nigeria. He is renowned for his hit song "Sweet Mother", recorded with his band Rocafil Jazz.

Music
He played the xylophone, conga, drums, and electric guitar in school bands and he made his professional debut as a member of a hotel band, the Melody Orchestra, in 1970.

Early years
Although he only recorded one significant hit, "Sweet Mother," in 1976, which sold more than 13 million copies (and which is recognised as one of Africa's greatest songs), Mbarga played an important role in the evolution of African popular music. With his soulful vocals set to the light melodies of his acoustic guitar, Mbarga created a unique hybrid of Igbo and Congolese guitar playing and uplifting highlife rhythms. He formed his own group, Rocafil Jazz, to perform regularly at the Plaza Hotel in the eastern Nigerian city of Onitsha.
After releasing a disappointing single in 1973, Mbarga and Rocafil Jazz had their first success with their second single, I No Go Marry My Papa, which became a regional hit. The band's inability to break past their local following resulted in their recording contract being dropped by EMI, a decision that proved ill-fortuned when the band signed with Rogers All Stars, a Nigerian recording company based in Onitsha, and recorded "Sweet Mother".

Sung in Pidgin English, "Sweet Mother" became one of the top sellers in the history of Nigerian music. In the six years that Mbarga and Rocafil Jazz remained with Rogers All Stars, 1975 to 1981, they recorded nine albums.

Later years
On a repeat tour to England in 1982, Mbarga became known for his flamboyant, 1970s glam rock-inspired performances. While he continued to appear with Rocafil Jazz, Mbarga also performed with London-based highlife band the Ivory Coasters and former Rocafil Jazz member, Cameroonian vocalist Louisiana Tilda. Despite launching his own Polydor-distributed record label, upon returning to Nigeria, Mbarga and the original members of Rocafil Jazz separated after some disagreements. Although he later formed the New Rocafil Jazz Band, Mbarga failed to match his early success. Leaving music, he turned his attention to managing the 4-star hotel that he owned, the Sweet Mother Hotel, located in the town of Ikom just minutes away from the Cameroon-Nigeria border.

Death
Prince Nico Mbarga was killed in a motorcycle accident on June 24, 1997, leaving behind "Sweet Mother" as the most popular song amongst Nigerians. Sweet Mother is sometimes called Africa's anthem and has been voted Africa's favourite song by BBC readers and listeners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Nico_Mbarga

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 14, 2016
Wooooooa.......

I love this song.....

* Legendary Musician.....

33 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by robosky02(m): 9:01pm On May 14, 2016

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by robosky02(m): 9:03pm On May 14, 2016
SANDOSKI:
Wooooooa.......

I love this song.....

yes especially if you love your mum

5 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by jmichlins(m): 9:05pm On May 14, 2016
You see that shoe we call it AKPOLA. This info is good for the indomie generation

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 14, 2016
He died the yr i was born smiley a legend gone, a legend born

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by hungryboy(m): 9:08pm On May 14, 2016
SANDOSKI:
Wooooooa.......

I love this song.....
i love the track too, It's been a while i heard the track on the radio though,
Make i go find am download now sef

2 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 14, 2016
hungryboy:
i love the track too,
It's been a while i heard the track on the radio though,

Make i go find am download now sef

Abi.... Make I follow you download am oooogrin

1 Like

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by robosky02(m): 9:26pm On May 14, 2016
a mother should be celebrated daily not just on mothers day

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 14, 2016
robosky02:

yes especially if you love your mum

Yeah. You are right about that...

3 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by JohnEazy(m): 3:41pm On May 15, 2016
Ok
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Godwinolaiya: 3:41pm On May 15, 2016
Ok
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by firstolalekan(m): 3:43pm On May 15, 2016
Lol grin grin

See hin shirt and shoes grin grin

E don tey wey people don dey dress like modern day gays cheesy
Denrele is a learner.

Lesson: Today's fashion is tomorrow's rag (firstolalekan_ 2016) cool

10 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by confy22: 3:45pm On May 15, 2016
Z he Danrele's fada?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by emandman: 3:46pm On May 15, 2016
He also left a legacy for denrele

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Galacious1: 3:46pm On May 15, 2016
Evergreen song

1 Like

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by RichDad1(m): 3:47pm On May 15, 2016
Sweet mother I no go forget you.

RIP Mom. cry cry cry cry cry cry

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Pyroxene: 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
lilzcee:
wooow u are so old and mature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by scholes23(m): 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
Oh men check out that shoe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by KissCODE(m): 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
robosky02:

listen to the sung here

audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Prince-Nico-Mbarga-Sweet-Mother-BellaNaija-May-2015.mp3]
Download
was he married? How many children does he have?

When writing a profile of someone these points are important too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Sunofgod(m): 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
Greatest African song...
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Pavore9: 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
That song is a real classic!

4 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by showgolee(m): 3:49pm On May 15, 2016
That shoe tho......anytime I have an opportunity to listen to this song, there is a lil drop of tear from my eye......All that I am and all that I hope to be I oew it to my Momma

4 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by firstolalekan(m): 3:49pm On May 15, 2016
lilzcee:
Indomitable pikin wink

5 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Menace2Society(m): 3:50pm On May 15, 2016
Legend!One of the greatest songs from Africa
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by gurunlocker: 3:51pm On May 15, 2016
Denrele role model.... Great man
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Eyor1(m): 3:52pm On May 15, 2016
So na this man danrere learn from?

1 Like

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Nixiepie(f): 3:57pm On May 15, 2016
My mum best song cheesy
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by madjune(m): 3:58pm On May 15, 2016
lilzcee:

I was right.

Na small children full this Nairaland.
Indomie generation.

16 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Galacious1: 4:00pm On May 15, 2016
KissCODE:
was he married? How many children does he have?

When writing a profile of someone these points are important too.
most Nigerian writers don't av time diggin deep. We manage wat we see.

1 Like

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by floragregs(f): 4:02pm On May 15, 2016
I was born in the 80's and that's the last sane generation!

9 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga The Man Behind The Hit Song “sweet Mother by Ahmed99: 4:08pm On May 15, 2016
lol....now I kno where denrele got this is craziness for women fashion...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wizkid And Burna Boy Show Their Shaku Shaku Dancing Skills In London / Seyi Shay Flaunts Gorgeous Look As She Rocks Casual Outfit / Femi Adebayo Meets Aliko Dangote And Femi Otedola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.