Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,375 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. (4858 Views)

Embark’s Truck Completes 2400mi Trip From LosAngeles To Florida Without A Driver / Lagos To Zaria Road Trip (with Pics) / Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 6:14am On May 18, 2016
dumo1:
greenhulk i do hope you are not driving and taking pics and I presume you are using a dash camera.

Oh please stop it.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 18, 2016
After waiting for more than 1 hour, the road was finally cleared and yes it was a fuel tanker that got exploded blocking one side of the road. No fire fighters came but kudos to volunteers that helped control traffic. It would have been a lot worse if not for them. No other vehicle casualty and I'm not sure if there were human casualties.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Piyke: 8:25am On May 19, 2016
Joining the class though late angry
Should be doing Owerri - Abj soon wink
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by eromspete(m): 12:19pm On May 19, 2016
No update today? Good luck greenhulk
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by chukel(m): 1:44pm On May 19, 2016
Piyke:
Joining the class though late angry
Should be doing Owerri - Abj soon wink
Lokoja part of that road is horrible. Take am jeje
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Piyke: 6:09pm On May 19, 2016
chukel:
Lokoja part of that road is horrible. Take am jeje

Thanks man. Will open a thread at about the time cos I know the road would have changed a lot from when I last did the journey in 2011.
I plan to go via Enugu though. A friend told me it's much better than going through Edo. I would choose better roads over miles any day!
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 19, 2016
After the delay because of the tanker explosion road was smooth. Driving was enjoyable until I got to a bad portion of the Benin bye pass. Then I was stopped by customs officials asking for customs paper. Wtf... I've been driving this car since 2012, am I still supposed to move around with customs papers? Omo come see different cars wey dem Don seize... One of them is a Mercedes Benz clk cabriolet.

The dude asked me to park! Asked for papers and then customs papers even though it states on vehicle papers that the car was first registered in 2012. I had the papers with me but I told him they are in Lagos. After a lot of arguments he let me go. I no go lie fear catch me small.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 19, 2016
Finally getting closer to home.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 19, 2016
Onitsha to owerri very smooth road. Took about 45 mins.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 19, 2016
Onitsha to owerri very smooth road. Took about 45 mins. Got to my village around 5:30pm.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 19, 2016
Iroko tree at the back of my compound.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 19, 2016
Coming back, I left the village around 8:30am. Journey was smooth. I had to stop at Onitsha to drop my sister who was going to abuja, so about 30 mins delay in Onitsha. After that journey was bliss. Top speed 130km/hr (call me Mr slow). Also the p0139 error code came back between the village to Onitsha. I cleared it, came back after about 50km. I cleared it again in Benin and never came back from Benin by pass to Lagos which is about 300 km.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 19, 2016
Benin- asaba road, another accident caused by a truck.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 19, 2016
Cruising on benin- ore road I lost my front passenger Tyre. I felt the vibration on my steering, slowed down and parked. About 5 seconds after coming to a halt the Tyre busted. Thank goodness this didn't happen on high speed. I was actually doing 120km/hr when this happened. It was a miracle.

The rest of the journey was hassle free. As usual lots of check points on the other side of the road while only one check point on my side of the road from ore to ijebu ode. I got to Lagos around 4pm.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by ogawisdom(m): 7:26pm On May 19, 2016
greenhulk:
Coming back, I left the village around 8:30am. Journey was smooth. I had to stop at Onitsha to drop my sister who was going to abuja, so about 30 mins delay in Onitsha. After that journey was bliss. Top speed 130km/hr (call me Mr slow). Also the p0139 error code came back between the village to Onitsha. I cleared it, came back after about 50km. I cleared it again in Benin and never came back from Benin by pass to Lagos which is about 300 km.

How do u clear d check engine light
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 19, 2016
Total distance traveled, 1,442km. Couldn't calculate the amount of fuel used but I used less fuel coming back. Full tank from Onitsha and I still had about quarter tank when I got to Lagos.

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 19, 2016
ogawisdom:

How do u clear d check engine light

With a portable scanner. The p0139 is notorious for making my car sluggish thereby using more fuel. Once cleared car responds better.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by 9icetoo(m): 8:46pm On May 19, 2016
nice thread. more details would have been appreciated.
details like travel time, number of stops, fuel used (litres), distance covered (u gave that) etc.
your Honda looks neat by the way. thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 1:00am On May 20, 2016
We thank God for journey mercies o! and form all these trailers wey wan cut person life short and also for your sweet & clean honda accord. Amen.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by oblo(m): 10:37am On May 20, 2016
greenhulk:
Total distance traveled, 1,442km. Couldn't calculate the amount of fuel used but I used less fuel coming back. Full tank from Onitsha and I still had about quarter tank when I got to Lagos.

Had your engine cooled down totally before taking this pic of tour dash? I can.see your temp guage down.

1 Like

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 11:09am On May 20, 2016
oblo:

Had your engine cooled down totally before taking this pic of tour dash? I can.see your temp guage down.

Yes. That pic was taken several hours after parking the car. The engine was not running when I took it.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 11:09am On May 20, 2016
dumo1:
We thank God for journey mercies o! and form all these trailers wey wan cut person life short and also for your sweet & clean honda accord. Amen.

Thanks bro
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 20, 2016
greenhulk:

Thanks bro
You are welcome bro. please what's the name of your personal scanner that you used to clear the codes when they were popping up?
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 20, 2016
dumo1:

You are welcome bro. please what's the name of your personal scanner that you used to clear the codes when they were popping up?

Elm327 Bluetooth scanner
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by aieromon(m): 10:38am On May 21, 2016
greenhulk:
Cruising on benin- ore road I lost my front passenger Tyre. I felt the vibration on my steering, slowed down and parked. About 5 seconds after coming to a halt the Tyre busted. Thank goodness this didn't happen on high speed. I was actually doing 120km/hr when this happened. It was a miracle.

What do you think is the reason for the burst tire?
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 11:22am On May 21, 2016
aieromon:

What do you think is the reason for the burst tire?

I really can't say. But Benin-ore road is in a pretty bad shape, there are big pot holes and even if u are an expert at dodging potholes, u can't dodge all of them.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 11:59am On May 21, 2016
greenhulk:

I really can't say. But Benin-ore road is in a pretty bad shape, there are big pot holes and even if u are an expert at dodging potholes, u can't dodge all of them.
is it not this same benin-ore road that was allegedly worked upon in Johnathan's administration. so how did it detiorate so fast?
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 21, 2016
dumo1:

is it not this same benin-ore road that was allegedly worked upon in Johnathan's administration. so how did it detiorate so fast?

My bad actually. It is ore- ijebu ode portion of the road. Ore-benin is in top shape.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by FEGEITOK: 12:04pm On May 21, 2016
greenhulk:

I lost a brand new Michelin tire costing almost 30,000.00 in use for less than a month due to a pothole on a trip

I will create a thread on it when I have time and also update my other incomplete threads on my trips as my notes are intact, just no time to put them up since am kinda busy

Personally I think all this emphasis on tires without emphasis on eradicating or minimizing potholes by the authorities is extremely unfair to the populace in a dwindling economy

Interestingly i kept a similar nearly brand new dunlop tire that suffered the same fate two years ago and I notice something, the tear is almost identical

so here is my new way of handling potholes (before i used to dance around them at about 80km/hr) but am revising the speed down because the potholes have worsened and multiplied

1. slow down to less than or about 50km/hr to 60km/hr on pothole infested roads ( but get back the time by hitting 200km/hr on good roads)

2. try to drive as slow as possible into them if you cannot dodge them;

3. also do not use maximum permissible tire pressure so the tire can flex a bit;

4. ensure your shocks are in tip top shape but that does not mean you should not slow down since there is not enough time for the shock to act and you tire has no choice but to bear the brunt of much of the pressure;

5. brake as much as possible before entering a pothole but ensure you are NOT holding the brakes into the pothole cause you will lose the tire

This is why Lokoja Okene road is an invitation to party for kidnappers, drive fast and lose your tires or wreck your suspension, drive slow and be double-crossed

May God save us

Piyke please use Enugu, i travel alot, the road through enugu is in much better shape than the road through edo overall, you will still pass through Kogi and some parts of Lokoja, and maybe Okene but you cannot compare the state of both roads, the Enugu route is way way better

1 Like

Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by ogawisdom(m): 12:12pm On May 21, 2016
greenhulk:

The rest of the journey was hassle free. As usual lots of check points on the other side of the road while only one check point on my side of the road from ore to ijebu ode. I got to Lagos around 4pm.

What caused d tyre to burst in ur opinion

Under inflation
Over inflation
They r China
They r expired
Pot holes

Btw wats date was d tyre manufactured
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 21, 2016
ogawisdom:

What caused d tyre to burst in ur opinion

Under inflation
Over inflation
They r China
They r expired
Pot holes

Btw wats date was d tyre manufactured

Most probably pot holes. The tire did not tear immediately but must have taken some hit while hitting some potholes. The tyre got pretty bad on level road and finally bursted after I parked to the side of the road. I saw the mark where the tyre took the hit.
Re: My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. by Piyke: 3:19pm On May 21, 2016
FEGEITOK:

I lost a brand new Michelin tire costing almost 30,000.00 in use for less than a month due to a pothole on a trip

I will create a thread on it when I have time and also update my other incomplete threads on my trips as my notes are intact, just no time to put them up since am kinda busy

Personally I think all this emphasis on tires without emphasis on eradicating or minimizing potholes by the authorities is extremely unfair to the populace in a dwindling economy

Interestingly i kept a similar nearly brand new dunlop tire that suffered the same fate two years ago and I notice something, the tear is almost identical

so here is my new way of handling potholes (before i used to dance around them at about 80km/hr) but am revising the speed down because the potholes have worsened and multiplied

1. slow down to less than or about 50km/hr to 60km/hr on pothole infested roads ( but get back the time by hitting 200km/hr on good roads)

2. try to drive as slow as possible into them if you cannot dodge them;

3. also do not use maximum permissible tire pressure so the tire can flex a bit;

4. ensure your shocks are in tip top shape but that does not mean you should not slow down since there is not enough time for the shock to act and you tire has no choice but to bear the brunt of much of the pressure;

5. brake as much as possible before entering a pothole but ensure you are NOT holding the brakes into the pothole cause you will lose the tire

This is why Lokoja Okene road is an invitation to party for kidnappers, drive fast and lose your tires or wreck your suspension, drive slow and be double-crossed

May God save us

Piyke please use Enugu, i travel alot, the road through enugu is in much better shape than the road through edo overall, you will still pass through Kogi and some parts of Lokoja, and maybe Okene but you cannot compare the state of both roads, the Enugu route is way way better

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2013 Honda Accord With 178,864miles! / I Want To Purchase A Used Honda Accord 05,why Are People Against Me Buying / 8 Methods To Minimize The Price Of Your Car Insurance Coverage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.