Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide (40174 Views)

ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike, See The Memo / Universities School Fee Hike, ASUU Kicks, Talks Strike Possibilities. / ASUU Declares One Week Warning Strike (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Mufasa1805(m): 10:43pm On May 17, 2016
Ademola Babalola in Ibadan

National President of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Professor Biodun Ogunyemi has mobilized members of the union for strike and mass action commencing Wednesday to force the Federal Government to revert the pump price from N145 to N86.50.

In a letter sent to members of the congress nationwide and read at the University of Ibadan Chapter where the Chairman, Dr Deji Omole mobilized members to get ready for mass resistance to what he called the obnoxious and callous policy of fuel price increment.

According to Omole, the policy of subsidy removal was the most criminal ambush from the Mohammadu Buhari-led federal government to empower the rich and cripple the poor.

The ASUU boss who said that the common denominator to all Nigerians is poverty added that the same APC government that failed to pay civil servants for months is now celebrating budget signing with the legalization of black market.

Omole who noted that many state governors who now align with the removal of subsidy ran their states aground through wasteful spending added that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission should beam search lights on state governors.

ASUU boss noted that the coup against the masses adding that since Nigeria runs motorized economy, Nigerians cannot be forced to carry the problems created by the rich and friends of government.

ASUU president in the letter entitled “Increase in Pump price of Premium Motor Spirit to N145 perlitre: Proposal for Joint Action with NLC stated that ASUU members are called upon to according to our Union’s principles, fully respect Article 2 of the Constitution of ASUU; that our Union and members shall work for the protection and advancement of the socio-economic interests of the nation. Branch Chairpersons are to conduct emergency congress meetings on Tuesday 17 May 2016 to mobilise our members for the action commencing on Wednesday. All branches of ASUU nationwide are to comply”

Ogunyemi anchored the position on “delayed, partially paid and in most cases unpaid salaries for a number of months by state, federal and local governments, disguised retrenchment of workers, especially by State Governments, in the name of verification exercise and endless hunt for ghost workers and heavy taxation”.

Source:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/17/fuel-hike-ASUU-declares-nationwide-strike/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by omonidayo: 10:47pm On May 17, 2016
Really??
Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by gangwolf(m): 11:00pm On May 17, 2016
Is this the change?

25 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Abuklaw(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2016
This got me thinking hard. When will these curvy-turvy affairs end?

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by bluestone77em(m): 11:16pm On May 17, 2016
ASUU is always on the right path for the masses.

146 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by bluestone77em(m): 11:18pm On May 17, 2016
ASUU is always on the right path for the masses. Thank you.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by folabisi07(m): 11:25pm On May 17, 2016
U.I is on strike, ASUU is on strike, so when strike meets strike what happens?? O God of creation, direct our noble cause!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by moyakz(m): 11:32pm On May 17, 2016
i weep for my beloved country! this is what happens when old men that ought to be resting are made to rule us.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by reyscrub(m): 11:36pm On May 17, 2016
Shall we say dat ASUU got it wrong?

Does ASUU understand the government of subsidy?

Shall we say dat 70& of ASUU members fully support the position of their union regarding going on strike due to subsidy remover?

I & many of my colleague do not support the union decision of embarking on industrial action.

At our Congress today many did not support ASUU going on strike but as long as the national has made up their mind in joining NLC, what else.

The point is dat let us give the present government a trial for some period and see what shall happened to the price and economy.

Why Jonathan's subsidy remover was greeted with nation wide protest and strike was dat he was not trusted and transparent with public fund management unlike Buhari regime.

Remember gsm service provider case dat at first, it was so expensive to belong, but today due to multi player of competitors, any one can easily acquire it.

My opinion for you.

Thanks

47 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Mufasa1805(m): 11:47pm On May 17, 2016
FP things pls

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by MVLOX(m): 11:50pm On May 17, 2016
ASUU aka the strike lovers....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by kayfam(m): 11:53pm On May 17, 2016
reyscrub:

Shall we say dat 70& of ASUU members fully support the position of their union regarding going on strike due to subsidy remover?

I & many of my colleague do not support the union decision of embarking on industrial action.

At our Congress today many did not support ASUU going on strike but as long as the national has made up their mind in joining NLC, what else.

The point is dat let us give the present government a trial for some period and see what shall happened to the price and economy.

Why Jonathan's subsidy remover was greeted with nation wide protest and strike was dat he was not trusted and transparent with public fund management unlike Buhari regime.

Remember gsm service provider case dat at first, it was so expensive to belong, but today due to multi player of competitors, any one can easily acquire it.

My opinion for you.

Thanks

Can you hear yourself?

135 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by reyscrub(m): 11:58pm On May 17, 2016
kayfam:

Can you hear yourself?

As in?

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by fistonati(m): 12:12am On May 18, 2016
Enough of this impunity by the federal government

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by nnachukz(m): 12:21am On May 18, 2016
Good Good Good. Zombies may lose appetite tonight and develop terrible headache on hearing this news. I just pray they don't mistake otapiapia for a pain reliever. Shabi they were dancing shakiti Bobo for the thread with the Ajiero faction of NLC. They can now dance on as we match to the protest ground later today.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by nnachukz(m): 12:25am On May 18, 2016
FG said no work no pay but I tell you my countrymen and women that in ASUU she will meet her match. Even that Kangaroo Industry Court ruling will not save her.

18 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by BadIntentionz: 1:47am On May 18, 2016
To strike or not to strike. Me I'm confused sef! Who's report do I believe? Well I will just enter cab and stop in the middle of the road. Neither at home nor at work. Shikina

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Deme98(m): 6:18am On May 18, 2016
God punish ASUU ... they want the 2013 incident to happen again , the students would b at d receiving end .... stop this nonsense protest. !!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by pendusky(m): 6:18am On May 18, 2016
Lol
Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by pendusky(m): 6:21am On May 18, 2016
reyscrub:

My opinion for you.

Thanks

Zombie spotted. grin

so Buhari is trusted? Yet He's working with former thieves who failed to appear before court for money laundry charges. time will tell.

Spare us biko.

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Whizzcute(m): 6:25am On May 18, 2016
Mufasa1805:
Ademola Babalola in Ibadan

National President of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Professor Biodun Ogunyemi has mobilized members of the union for strike and mass action commencing Wednesday to force the Federal Government to revert the pump price from N145 to N86.50.

In a letter sent to members of the congress nationwide and read at the University of Ibadan Chapter where the Chairman, Dr Deji Omole mobilized members to get ready for mass resistance to what he called the obnoxious and callous policy of fuel price increment.

According to Omole, the policy of subsidy removal was the most criminal ambush from the Mohammadu Buhari-led federal government to empower the rich and cripple the poor.

The ASUU boss who said that the common denominator to all Nigerians is poverty added that the same APC government that failed to pay civil servants for months is now celebrating budget signing with the legalization of black market.

Omole who noted that many state governors who now align with the removal of subsidy ran their states aground through wasteful spending added that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission should beam search lights on state governors.

ASUU boss noted that the coup against the masses adding that since Nigeria runs motorized economy, Nigerians cannot be forced to carry the problems created by the rich and friends of government.

ASUU president in the letter entitled “Increase in Pump price of Premium Motor Spirit to N145 perlitre: Proposal for Joint Action with NLC stated that ASUU members are called upon to according to our Union’s principles, fully respect Article 2 of the Constitution of ASUU; that our Union and members shall work for the protection and advancement of the socio-economic interests of the nation. Branch Chairpersons are to conduct emergency congress meetings on Tuesday 17 May 2016 to mobilise our members for the action commencing on Wednesday. All branches of ASUU nationwide are to comply”

Ogunyemi anchored the position on “delayed, partially paid and in most cases unpaid salaries for a number of months by state, federal and local governments, disguised retrenchment of workers, especially by State Governments, in the name of verification exercise and endless hunt for ghost workers and heavy taxation”.

Source:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/17/fuel-hike-ASUU-declares-nationwide-strike/

let this not be true
Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by iamnlia(m): 6:55am On May 18, 2016
Nawa oo
Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by emmasege: 6:59am On May 18, 2016
reyscrub:

My opinion for you.

Thanks
I'm fully in support of ASUU's position not only because I'm a member but also because it's an equal & opposite reaction to government's insensitivity & deception. This government needs to be reminded that power belongs to the people before they take the only fundamental human right (freedom of expression) we have left, from us.
What makes you think Buhsri's regime can be trusted either? Neither him nor the thieves around him can be trusted as well. A world power (Cameron) said it, he (buhari) affirmed it and UK media sealed it.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by clerkent(m): 7:41am On May 18, 2016
Buhari is fighting coruption does nt mean that his adiministration is nt corrupt.we know people he is working with and he have never prove that those money wnt vanish because we never see any work in progress.only traveling and talking.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by BUSHHUNTER: 7:42am On May 18, 2016
fvuck As$ U.

They don't exist in ma world

They. Can go into oblivion for all I care

Strike or no strike that organization is dead long ago.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by DaFuhrer(m): 8:15am On May 18, 2016
Thank God I'm out of school already...those guys (ASUU) can be frustrating. They made me spenf extra year during GEJ regime.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by ebig21(m): 8:34am On May 18, 2016
I like ASUU, this guys can frustrate any government. Kudos

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by weezii(m): 8:39am On May 18, 2016
If Buhari wants to fight corruption he should cleanse his cabinet and trusted allies

The look on his face and Osinbajo laugh sef tells you we are in for a long ride to 2019

10 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Nbote(m): 8:58am On May 18, 2016
reyscrub:

My opinion for you.

Thanks

First things first, it's not Subsidy Remover but Subsidy Removal so I wonder what Congress discusses "remover" instead of "removal". Well I expect u to claim it's auto-correct blah blah but then u asked if ASUU understood the govt of subsidy? From ur write up and use of English I laughed at d part where u mentioned "U and ur colleagues" and "at ur Congress today".
Anyways unions don't need 100% vote to reach an agreement or take a decision. Majority as we know always carries d day which means there'll b some who oppose d idea.
I find it laughable d new excuse of d masses not trusting d GEJ govt with public funds or his govt having transparency issues because he had jus won d elections a few months earlier for christ sakes. How com he won d elections since d new claim dat he wasn't trusted or transparent enof? I don't think U or d govt or anyone else needs to give excuses as to why ppl opposed it, jus giv reasons y dey shld support d move simple. I'm not in support or any industrial action by d NLC or ASUU or any other body at dat cos dey have been silent for too long and shld had done so way before now wit d persistent scarcity and clear indication in d budget of d removal of subsidy. But d ryt to embark on an industrial action is totally theirs if dey deem so.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by CaptainEColeJnr: 9:20am On May 18, 2016
Change is a vague word.
But at least when it is mentioned without a negative prefix then we assume it to be a positive change.
But last year when the APC were campaigning, they were shouting Chain! Chain!
But y'all mistook it to be change!
now see

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Hike: ASUU Declares Strike Nationwide by Built2last: 9:24am On May 18, 2016
Bad news everywhere.

Niger Delta Avengers dey do their own.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I'm Officially A Graduate (Pics) / Meet Yaashwin Sarawanan Malaysian Human Calculator On Asia's Got Talent (Photos) / “The Suffering Boy Has Graduated”- Man Who Did Menial Jobs To Sponsor His School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.