Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? (26609 Views)

Can You Eat This Dried Tomatoes? / Dried Tomatoes For Sale !!! / N1000 Tomatoes That I Saw Today In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by ladylaurel(f): 10:53am On May 18, 2016
This tomato issue na wa o.
A friend was telling me about egusi stew. she gave me d recipe.
I'm thinking of trying it out hoping it will come out as gud as she said it would
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Damysa(f): 10:56am On May 18, 2016
I used it for the first time on Sunday last week and it was very nice
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Sleekyshuga(f): 10:59am On May 18, 2016
joseph1832:
It seem I should be finding my way to your kitchen right now. I love a girl who can cook. grin wink

Frankly, I really haven't seen dried tomatoes, all I've seen is dried tatashe and dried atarodo. I'll really like the OP to upload a pic of it, so we can see and know...
Make sure you marry one tongue cheesy..

Yeah!! The OP would have backed up the message with a picture to help those of us who haven't seen any cry, though I have pictured it, it wasn't good looking grin..

**thinking** A healthy fresh tomatoes shrinking under the sun cheesy? Hahahahaha...

emmachukwu99:

I love the Ofe akwu wella, better than tomato stew even.
With enough scent leaves, dry fish and chilli pepper cheesy..

1 Like

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Bloomingbud(f): 11:08am On May 18, 2016
Dried tomato is not bad, though not same as fresh ones. To get a good result just soak in hot water and wash well before blending. Spice up with enough onions (its cheap) and you are good to go.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by joseph1832(m): 11:08am On May 18, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Make sure you marry one tongue cheesy..

Yeah!! The OP would have backed up the message with a picture to help those of us who haven't seen any cry, though I have pictured it, and it wasn't good looking grin..

**thinking** A healthy fresh tomatoes shrinking under the sun cheesy? Hahahahaha...

I intend to! I love good food, and any girl who can deliver, surely will have my heart. grin

Now I hear you. Lol. That'll be a sight to see...
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Evalily(f): 11:22am On May 18, 2016
Dried tomatoes stew can never taste as good as the fresh tomatoes stew.

Meanwhile

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by hottestberry08(f): 11:26am On May 18, 2016
I used it's once nd I dnt like d colour of d stew nd d taste too....
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Abukc(m): 11:26am On May 18, 2016
My wife has being using dry tomatoes now over 6month.is just like normal fresh. tomatoes,meanwhile you will soak it for like 30mins before it readyy for use,you can add tin tomatoes for best result if needed.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by favouredon(f): 11:27am On May 18, 2016
quote author=acada111 post=45729302]Used it for the first time last week, didn't even know it existed till then. It's sold for N50 per pack.
Simply wash well with warm water and soak for about 30mins before use. Stew don ready o!!! cheesy[/quote]do u prepare it as u would with the fresh ones?
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 11:30am On May 18, 2016
Try banga, its not compulsory that you must use tomato. angry

Thats whats killing us here copy copy and lack of originality.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Rhea(f): 11:54am On May 18, 2016
[size=13pt]Back in the days, our parents would buy lots of fresh tomatoes and dry them up and store for use during the dry season. They actually make the stew quite red and concentrated. I prefer the taste to that of fresh tomatoes because it tastes like a match between fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes. The art of drying tomatoes is lost mores so now that most girls/women do not even know how many cooking pots they have in the house[/size]
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by delishpot: 12:11pm On May 18, 2016
Rexyl:

dry tomatoes in a room, doing that must be during harmattan, it can't just be done successfully in humid areas

Well, not room per se, just an open space where air can flow like a shaded balcony or special space created for such. I should correct that part. When I say room I meant a shaded place.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 18, 2016
I still prefer tin tomatoes
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by acada111(f): 12:33pm On May 18, 2016
favouredon:
quote author=acada111 post=45729302]Used it for the first time last week, didn't even know it existed till then. It's sold for N50 per pack.
Simply wash well with warm water and soak for about 30mins before use. Stew don ready o!!! :Ddo u prepare it as u would with the fresh ones?

After blending, I steamed it and the tin tomatoes together before use.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by amicable09(f): 1:23pm On May 18, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Of course, I know my way round the kitchen cheesy.. No be my mama born me cheesy?

I know Tatashe, and it's not tomatoes na undecided.. It's a red bell pepper.

The OP said dried (maybe, sun dried) fresh tomatoes undecided.. It's very rare, if not found in PH.
Dried tomatoes is in Mile 3 market Shuga grin
You won't find such in Kala or Wimpey markets though but in Ultra Modern markets where women who sell Tomatoes and Pepper in large quantity are.

Used it myself though the colour isn't bright red and you have to soak it in water for a while before grinding or blending. I still prefer fresh tomatoes to dried one sha smiley
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Sleekyshuga(f): 1:56pm On May 18, 2016
amicable09:

Dried tomatoes is in Mile 3 market Shuga grin. You won't find such in Kala or Wimpey markets though but in Ultra Modern markets where women who sell Tomatoes and Pepper in large quantity are.

Used it myself though the colour isn't bright red and you have to soak it in water for a while before grinding or blending. I still prefer fresh tomatoes to dried one sha smiley
Are you serious shocked?

Well, they haven't been a reason for its usage, reasons I may not know it cheesy.. I will ask mum when she comes back..

Wait!! Is dried fresh tomatoes the ones they call awarawa? I guess not as those ones are slightly fresh, though broken with injuries and too soft undecided..

I don't even like tinned tomatoes (if no be say condition bend undecided)..

Fresh tomatoes still remains the best kiss..

I go to Mile 3 market too oo cry tongue.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by kechywillz(m): 2:03pm On May 18, 2016
Nigerians has never had it worst like this before. I pray things get better
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by kechywillz(m): 2:05pm On May 18, 2016
Nigerian has never had it this worst. I pray things get better
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Tingler(m): 2:07pm On May 18, 2016
Plz pals I advice you to use the dried tomatoes for your stew, all you need to do is to wash it thoroughly and soak it in a warm water before grinding it. Avoid tin tomatoes for your health. If you don't want CANCER avoid all canned food especially tin tomatoes
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by mamawin(f): 3:23pm On May 18, 2016
Joygalore:
Dried tomatoes

Weird undecided

Now,I see one of the reasons we've got sick people in that country called Nigeria angry
sit down there, if you have a family to feed, you won't say that. I mix the two with tatashe, rodo and onions, I tell you, its nice.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by mikolo80: 4:11pm On May 18, 2016
Omotayor123:
Didn't know dried tomato exists, I haven't seen one before.
powdered tomato sef de just like grinded(ground) pepper
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by amicable09(f): 5:01pm On May 18, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Are you serious shocked?

Well, they haven't been a reason for its usage, reasons I may not know it cheesy.. I will ask mum when she comes back..

Wait!! Is dried fresh tomatoes the ones they call awarawa? I guess not as those ones are slightly fresh, though broken with injuries and too soft undecided..

I don't even like tinned tomatoes (if no be say condition bend undecided)..

Fresh tomatoes still remains the best kiss..

I go to Mile 3 market too oo cry tongue.
Lol @ Awarawa grin

No, they are not the same. Awarawa are those soft, broken tomatoes they sell at a much cheaper rate and they are usually displayed in plastic bowls on the floor or a tray.

These dried ones are tied in transparent white nylons and the colour is almost like coffee brown due to sunning. Ideally, before you take the tomatoes to those guys who ground stuff, the seller may help you soak it in water for a couple of minutes. The good thing about dried tomatoes is you don't have to worry much about drying it for stew like the fresh ones and another thing, people who cook for occasions buy them too to augment the fresh ones.

In all, fresh tomatoes still are my most preferred. Tinned plum tomato are a little foreign to me, the first time I used them, their was this 'touch' of Africaness it lacked wink. I don't know how I will do it when I get to ali beke wink grin
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Sleekyshuga(f): 5:13pm On May 18, 2016
amicable09:

Lol @ Awarawa grin

No, they are not the same. Awarawa are those soft, broken tomatoes they sell at a much cheaper rate and they are usually displayed in plastic bowls on the floor or a tray.

These dried ones are tied in transparent white nylons and the colour is almost like coffee brown due to sunning. Ideally, before you take the tomatoes to those guys who ground stuff, the seller may help you soak it in water for a couple of minutes. The good thing about dried tomatoes is you don't have to worry much about drying it for stew like the fresh ones and another thing, people who cook for occasions buy them too to augment the fresh ones.

In all, fresh tomatoes still are my most preferred. Tinned tomato plums are a little foreign to me, the first time I used them, their was this 'touch' of Africaness it lacked wink. I don't know how I will do it when I get to ali beke wink grin
My market analyst, bless you cheesy.. I haven't paid attention to dried tomatoes sha..

Hahahaha @ ali beke.. My dear, it was from R's mouth I heard of tinned tomato plums; come and see class on different classification and packaging of fresh tomatoes cheesy..

Don't worry.. You will learn..
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 18, 2016
Like I did too
Taeewo:
I used dried pepper and sachet tomatoes for stew ..
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by mariekay: 6:54pm On May 18, 2016
I bought it since Sunday, was scared to use it, not until I saw one tomato for (#100) immediately I have to soak it with hot water overnite, I just used it now, still okay as we rely on God for new era. But the taste can't be compare with the fresh one.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by amicable09(f): 7:12pm On May 18, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

My market analyst, bless you cheesy.. I haven't paid attention to dried tomatoes sha..

Hahahaha @ ali beke.. My dear, it was from R's mouth I heard of tinned tomato plums; come and see class on different classification and packaging of fresh tomatoes cheesy..

Don't worry.. You will learn..
Lol.
There are loads of classification of Tomatoes o, there is nothing we won't see. R is preparing your mind for what is ahead... arrange your fork and knife well.

As for me, I will sha learn so that onye ocha will not send me back to Naija after I must have entered obodo oyibo. Lol.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Elizabethoni(f): 11:15pm On May 18, 2016
favouredon:
With the recent scarcity of tomato, after going up and down without getting good fresh tomatoes to buy, one of the tomato sellers told me to buy dried ones which she now sells.

I want to know, has anyone tried using d dried tomato? How does it taste? How is it prepared? Is there any difference in colour, taste etc with the fresh one?

Your contributions are highly welcomed. Thank you.

Nahhhh...dont try it abwg...not nice...buy pepetera..mix with plenty of onions tatase nd shonbo(long pepper) and small rodo cos the pepetera is amixture of tomatoes and rodo
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by lorhema(f): 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2016
I buy a basket of UTC tomatoes, wash and slice them. Then I spread them out to dry in the sun. When dry, they still have their color and I store them for the months when tomatoes are in short supply. I haven't noticed a difference in taste and because of the quality of the tomato a little goes a long way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairalander Tastes Abacha Umunze For The First Time / How Much Is The Price Of Indomie Noodles In Your Area? / Why Suya Isn't Being Sold In The Day Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.