Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,318 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness (13247 Views)

Fayose Defeats EFCC As Court Says EFCC Lacks Power To Probe State Finances / Folashade Oke Bought Ikoyi Flat With $1.6m Cash, Says EFCC / Cct Trial: Efcc Witness Admits Saraki Was Charged Without Petition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by 2050thinker(m): 3:14am On May 19, 2016
THE primary prosecution witness, Mr. Michael Wetkas, in the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) trial of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, may have created another major pothole for the federal government’s prosecution team, as he has stated on cross-examination that there was insufficient evidence to sustain Count 11 of the 16 paragraph indictment against the Senate President.

Paul Usoro (SAN), who led the cross-examination of Wetkas on Wednesday proceedings, steered Wetkas through a series of questions to try to figure out how the Federal Government arrived at its conclusion to bring Charge 11 against Saraki, a former two-term Governor of Kwara State.

Wetkas, who is also an operative of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the lead witness in the case, admitted that he never asked the defendant about the mortgage alluded to in Count 11, and neither did he see the mortgage agreement to confirm the ownership of the property in question.

The EFCC witness also admitted to the fact that no current evidence shows the location and/or description of the property referred to in Count 11 (No. 37 A Global Road, Lagos) as he was not entirely sure if the Global Road in question was in Ebute Meta, Lagos or Ikoyi, Lagos.

Following the revelations, the tribunal adjourned the trial to Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 for further cross-examination

http://silverbirdtv.com/politics/12433-sarakis-trial-we-have-no-details-sustain-charge-11-efcc-witness

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by freeze001(f): 3:46am On May 19, 2016
When people say all this drama is political persecution because Saraki bucked the norms of party supremacy and clinched the seat of Senate president, the crazies who are officially tagged zombies come out to scream fight against corruption and corruption fighting back.

Not holding brief as to whether he's innocent or not but it's just so friggin clear there's more to this than 'fighting corruption'.
Let the drama keep unfolding

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Dreal11247: 4:11am On May 19, 2016
What's next then?
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Osehnetworld(m): 5:46am On May 19, 2016
s lik ds Paul usoro s more active Dan KANU agabi , d game ve changed sinx he took over d cross examination

4 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:48am On May 19, 2016
freeze001:
When people say all this drama is political persecution because Saraki bucked the norms of party supremacy and clinched the seat of Senate president, the crazies who are officially tagged zombies come out to scream fight against corruption and corruption fighting back.

yea, he's innocent of the charges, right..

Em...you're igbo, right?

grin grin grin

We knw

17 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Consiglier: 6:20am On May 19, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:

Em...you're igbo, right?

grin grin grin

We knw

Its like the word Igbo gives you erec+ion?

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by freeze001(f): 6:34am On May 19, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:

Em...you're igbo, right?

grin grin grin

We knw

Nope, not saying he's innocent. If u choose to be honest though you'd realise or agree this is a case that was hurriedly knocked together. It would have been neater if the issue arose out of a general investigation of assets declaration and his was singled out as having the issues which form part of the charges he's answering for.

Read the op again, can u not see that the charge in question went to no issue? How do u file a charge against a person and there's no evidence, no investigation done so how did they plan to get that to fly? I mean the witness wasn't even sure of the location of the property in issue! That's a clear sign of a case hurriedly knocked together to achieve an aim other than justice unless of course u mean to admit that sloppiness and incompetence are to be expected in every thing about this government including investigation/prosecution of corruption cases...

Finally yes, u are right I'm 200% Igbo...does that make anything I've said untrue or unfounded? Stereotyping can be offensive u know? You don't have to be...attack or criticize content rather than form. That's maturity and intelligence, completely contrary to what ur post discloses about you.

69 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by popez: 6:44am On May 19, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:

Em...you're igbo, right?

grin grin grin

We knw

You are daft, right? It's obvious!

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by MilanGuy: 7:29am On May 19, 2016
freeze001:

Nope, not saying he's innocent. If u choose to be honest though you'd realise or agree this is a case that was hurriedly knocked together. It would have been neater if the issue arose out of a general investigation of assets declaration and his was singled out as having the issues which form part of the charges he's answering for.

Read the op again, can u not see that the charge in question went to no issue? How do u file a charge against a person and there's no evidence, no investigation done so how did they plan to get that to fly? I mean the witness wasn't even sure of the location of the property in issue! That's a clear sign of a case hurriedly knocked together to achieve an aim other than justice unless of course u mean to admit that sloppiness and incompetence are to be expected in every thing about this government including investigation/prosecution of corruption cases...

Finally yes, u are right I'm 200% Igbo...does that make anything I've said untrue or unfounded? Stereotyping can be offensive u know? You don't have to be...attack or criticize content rather than form. That's maturity and intelligence, completely contrary to what ur post discloses about you.

Its igbos like you who give people the impression that all igbos want PMB to fail.I'm igbo and I strongly believe and support his government.

You have already concluded that Saraki is been persecuted, all in a bid to paint the PMB bad and to console yourself that your"hero"was the best thing to have ever happen to you since birth.

Jonathan was an epic failure and isnt coning back, you all needs to get your heads out of your asses and stop thinking demented fools.

10 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by freeze001(f): 7:34am On May 19, 2016
MilanGuy:

Its igbos like you who give people the impression that all igbos want PMB to fail.I'm igbo and I strongly believe and support his government.

You have already concluded that Saraki is been persecuted, all in a bid to paint the PMB bad and to console yourself that your"hero"was the best thing to have ever happen to you since birth.

Jonathan was an epic failure and isnt coning back, you all needs to get your heads out of your asses and stop thinking demented fools.

My dear, stick to the subject and deal with facts. It's the truth of the situation right now. I'm all for investigation and prosecution of corrupt persons but I draw the line at vindictiveness cos that's what erodes professionalism, objectivity and neutrality.

You don’t have to lie to appear 'different from the rest', u know u are not even remotely Igbo. Furthermore, I don't suffer fools gladly so don't let ur fingers run away when u want to start typing insulting words for no provocation because u then come off as the demented fool stinking of shiit because u keep ur head stuck up in ur arse and can't even find a way to come up for air even to save urself.

You see the bolded word? That gives a better representation of where you're from, certainly facilitates the head-in-ass disease u suffer so greatly.

40 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:15am On May 19, 2016
Consiglier:

Its like the word Igbo gives you erec+ion?
yeah, it gives me orgamsz...

U knw, Igbos being the owner of 90% of the whole Nigeria state.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:23am On May 19, 2016
freeze001:

My dear, stick to the subject and deal with facts. It's the truth of the situation right now. I'm all for investigation and prosecution of corrupt persons but I draw the line at vindictiveness cos that's what erodes professionalism, objectivity and neutrality.

You don’t have to lie to appear 'different from the rest', u know u are not even remotely Igbo. Furthermore, I don't suffer fools gladly so don't let ur fingers run away when u want to start typing insulting words for no provocation because u then come off as the demented fool stinking if shiit because u keep ur head stuck up in ur arse and can't even find a way to come up for air even to save urself. You see the bolded word? That gives a better representation of where your from, certainly facilitates the head-in-ass disease u suffer so greatly.
there's no sticking out of the subject with what he said.

Na only u?

When was the last time the yorubas protested against the thieves who were being haunted by their actions?

Each one of them is a thief, but whoever has the turn to face his crimes, why protest against that?

Soz the guy is still on the topic!

Recently, some sets of deranged individuals blew up pipelines again ( grin grin that part always for me laffin every time it happens) and asked for kanu to be released (agreed, that is still pertinent), and dasuki (I am lost here grin grin) is to be released too.

Now, u're claiming witch hunting as if you're making sense...

Talk abt a guy whose name appeared in the world corruption scandal and whose assets and riches denies him bluntly. Someone whose resources was concentrated on stopping the court trial and ure talking witch hunting. When are we going to stand up as a youth and ask for these thieves to be killed?

grin grin grin I guess that's a dream...with people like u playing a part..

13% derivatives since the time of OBJ and u guys are still blaming the feds for your woes while u sing praises of ur looters.

Your allocation is at times 10 times of other states and your States are not even bigger than the ones collecting paltry allocation and yet, whenever one if your looters are picked up, u start collecting 500naira and start throwing sticks in the air!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by NapoIeon: 8:42am On May 19, 2016
a very tantalizing refreshing great news for my friend chukwudi44 cktheluckyman and a shame to bloody hypocrites like modath omenka and co

good news popping out nowadays grin

magu is a bastard vagabond monkey

Buhari is a terrorist

Death to apc
let them burn
i hate Buhari the rapist terrorist vagabond bastard kunu sipping daura cattle rearer with fura d'nunu and roasted suya infested brain

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Nobody: 9:18am On May 19, 2016
1/13 no problem, he wont survive the remaining 12.
12 * 2 years = 24 years
Plus hard labour
Plus withdrawal of all titles
Plus loss of assets
Plus new charges on Panama Leak

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Dannyset(m): 9:20am On May 19, 2016
Even if Saraki escaped some of these charges, he won't escape the Panama revelation. He will still be sentenced.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by MadCow1: 9:20am On May 19, 2016
EFCC should investigate that Witness.. angry

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by peter1994(m): 9:20am On May 19, 2016
undecided

Osehnetworld:
s lik ds Paul usoro s more active Dan KANU agabi , d game ve changed sinx he took over d cross examination

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Kingspin(m): 9:20am On May 19, 2016
Blame EFCC, they blame witnesses. We are fighting corruption indeed.
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by butanep(m): 9:24am On May 19, 2016
If after the trial and counter-trial, Saraki is not prosecuted and sent to jail. It means the corruption fight is a mere scam and fraud.

Saraki is guilty. Even the little baby in kwara state knows. He might have the money to hire 1000 SANs but he is not bigger than the law. He need to be place behind bars.

If they are fighting a poor man now, the case would have be concluded and the man would've been facing jail sentence.

Be fast in this case... it's taking a long time.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by rozayx5(m): 9:24am On May 19, 2016
MilanGuy:

jonathan is a blockbuster movie compared to the idiots we have in aso rock today

one year now pmb has achieved nothing. someone who cud not develop himself or his community wont develop a country.

5 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Nobody: 9:37am On May 19, 2016
I can only laf cos they won't nail him else buhari will be impeached. ;DI can only laf cos they won't nail him else buhari will be impeached. ;DI can only laf cos they won't nail him else buhari will be impeached. ;DI can only laf cos they won't nail him else buhari will be impeached.
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by freeze001(f): 9:42am On May 19, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
there's no sticking out of the subject with what he said.

Na only u?

When was the last time the yorubas protested against the thieves who were being haunted by their actions?

Each one of them is a thief, but whoever has the turn to face his crimes, why protest against that?

Soz the guy is still on the topic!

Recently, some sets of deranged individuals blew up pipelines again ( grin grin that part always for me laffin every time it happens) and asked for kanu to be released (agreed, that is still pertinent), and dasuki (I am lost here grin grin) is to be released too.

Now, u're claiming witch hunting as if you're making sense...

Talk abt a guy whose name appeared in the world corruption scandal and whose assets and riches denies him bluntly. Someone whose resources was concentrated on stopping the court trial and ure talking witch hunting. When are we going to stand up as a youth and ask for these thieves to be killed?

grin grin grin I guess that's a dream...with people like u playing a part..

13% derivatives since the time of OBJ and u guys are still blaming the feds for your woes while u sing praises of ur looters.

Your allocation is at times 10 times of other states and your States are not even bigger than the ones collecting paltry allocation and yet, whenever one if your looters are picked up, u start collecting 500naira and start throwing sticks in the air!!!

You see, in a democracy imperfect as ours is, justice must be done and seen to be done. The provisions of the law are clear.

For stopping the trial:
1. The issue he raised was jurisdiction of the tribunal as to constitution of the panel. The CCB Act says 3 judges constitute a panel. The intention of the law for providing an odd number even in the appellate courts is so that in the event of dissenting judgements, there will always be a majority which becomes the binding judgment. However, the law also says 2 judges can form a quorum and on the basis of this, his appeal was quashed at the Supreme Court. He had the right of appeal which he rightly exercised.

2. Another issue raised was the condition precedent set by the tribunal with Tinubu which is also a set down precedent in the Act that the declarant must be informed and his statement or clarification to issues raised by the CCB must be received in writing by the CCB. Where the CCB is satisfied by the clarification of any issues raised, there will be no need to proceed to the tribunal but where it is not satisfied, it can approach the tribunal and that written statement by the declarant is one of the mandatory documents with which to institute an action at the tribunal and which vests it with the jurisdiction to entertain the matter.

This was not complied with in Tinubu's case on the basis of which the tribunal chairman dismissed the charges against Tinubu. The same situation played out in Saraki's case as he wasn't informed nor given the opportunity to respond as statutorily required before he was served with notice to appear before the tribunal.

Again he had the right to rely on the precedent set by the tribunal and the extant provisions of the law. The same chairman that ruled on Tinubu's case chose to overrule himself rather than comply with the law and its own precedent. Legally the tribunal has no power to act as an appellate court unto itself and can no longer rule on a previous judgment because it is functus officio. Still that has been done and the matter continues.

3. Asking the chairman to recuse himself on grounds of bias: In law, even the slightest whiff of bias established by a defendant against a judge allows issues to be resolved in his favor upon appeal. The possibility of and actual bias is frowned upon very strongly. Saraki rightly pointed out the possible bias of the tribunal due to his pending issues with EFCC, the same EFCC which is testifying against Saraki.

My point with the above is that with an independent judiciary, all these issues raised on appeal can overturn the decision of the tribunal upon appeal. It would then be on apparently technical grounds to those who don't understand these things because jurisdiction is fundamental. If that happens, u all will still say the judiciary is the problem!

The FG has not done it's job well because it doesn't seek justice but political vendetta and equity will not be used as a cloak for fraud. A defendant has every right to explore every legal avenue for justice, it must not be interpreted as an admission of guilt or an attempt to evade justice.

The law simply requires that he who comes to equity must come with clean hands and the Prosecution must always be mindful so its actions do not amount to a nullity.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Iyaju(m): 9:47am On May 19, 2016
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by gabbytabby: 9:55am On May 19, 2016
Apparently(if you can trust the source of the information) for those in the diaspora who are really interested he did not declare UK assets at 7and 8 whittaker street. If my lookup serves me right this is in belgravia london so for 3 pounds at land registry uk online you can get copy of the title register and know who owns, amount paid, year bought, the mortgagee if any and other information.
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Akainzo(m): 9:59am On May 19, 2016
freeze001:

Not holding brief as to whether he's innocent or not but it's just so friggin clear there's more to this than 'fighting corruption'.

My guy, I am quite surprised at how Count 11 out of a 13 Count charges shows that the proceedings are politically motivated. Haba!

Everywhere in teh world, an accused can be found guilty of Count 1, Not Guilty on Count 2, Guilty of Count 3 and Guilty of Count 4. It is normal.
However, the report as presented by this journalist is quite a half-truth and it is intended to serve people looking for excuses to blame the Govt. The witness clearly stated that he got the evidences of the transfers, and corroboration of the UK personnel to determine that the property was bought by Saraki. What he said was that he did not see the physical mortgage papers for the transactions.

The question to ask is this: How did GTB finance a mortgage and claim not to have copy of the mortgage documents?
The only way is simple: when the transaction is fraudulent and when one is trying to hide the facts.

This report up there from the stable of the "Common Sense" Senator, a known supporter of Saraki is junk reporting.

3 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by lomprico(m): 10:00am On May 19, 2016
MilanGuy:

What is all this na? What has jonathan has to do with this kwanu? The man has left power for u zombies, leave him too na.

7 Likes

Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Akainzo(m): 10:01am On May 19, 2016
gabbytabby:
Apparently(if you can trust the source of the information) for those in the diaspora who are really interested he did not declare UK assets at 7and 8 whittaker street. If my lookup serves me right this is in belgravia london so for 3 pounds at land registry uk online you can get copy of the title register and know who owns, amount paid, year bought, the mortgagee if any and other information.

Send the link and I would pay the 3 Pounds to get it and send to Saraki to defend himself (wait, is Saraki as a UK citizen not also aware of this to use to defend himself? smiley )
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by gabbytabby: 10:09am On May 19, 2016
Akainzo:

Send the link and I would pay the 3 Pounds to get it and send to Saraki to defend himself (wait, is Saraki as a UK citizen not also aware of this to use to defend himself? smiley )

how do you copy a link using a Samsung galaxy phone
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by Abeyjide: 10:13am On May 19, 2016
I know for sure he will be guilty of at least two or more count charges so is as good as being guilty for all.
Re: Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says EFCC Witness by gabbytabby: 10:17am On May 19, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

NUPENG To Commence Strike On Monday. / Checkout Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message To Nigerians(pics) / Ex-presidential Candidate, Pere Ajuwa, Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.