Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

How To Spot A Bad Candidate Who Looked So Perfect On Paper - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Spot A Bad Candidate Who Looked So Perfect On Paper (429 Views)

4 Incredible Ways To Handle A Bad Boss At Work Without Getting Burned / See what ARM Life Plc did to this candidate! / How To Leave A Bad Day At Work Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Spot A Bad Candidate Who Looked So Perfect On Paper by BISolutionsng: 11:40am On May 20, 2016
Have you ever put in a good word for someone, only to hear that he or she got the job—and then totally bombed? I’ve been there and I can tell you: It’s super awkward.
But if people (myself included) can be fooled by contacts we know, what hope do HR managers have to spot a bad apple when all they have is an interview process?

1. They (Only) Talk About Themselves

Yes, it’s an interview, a.k.a., a Q&A in which the candidate answers questions. However, it’s red flag if someone talks about himself—exclusively.

After all, there should be at least a few times when other people’s names pop up. When you ask about the applicant’s career aspirations, you’d ideally want him to throw out the name of some successful person he admires. Or, if you ask someone about his previous experience and how it led to where he is now, he’ll hopefully mention someone positively—be it an influential colleague, boss, or client—in the answer.

2. They Take Credit for Everything (Good)

Yes, an interview is a place to sell your accomplishments and pitch your potential, but be wary of someone who sounds like any on-the-job success he’s ever had is his and his alone. This person may become the teammate who steals ideas or takes sole credit for a team win. Whenever, there’s something to take credit for, he’s suddenly a one-man show.

3. They Don’t Discuss Their Shortcomings

I’d choose the person who has the confidence to discuss areas of improvement with his prospective boss. Being able to recognize his weaknesses and working to improve them will go a lot further on the job than trying to sweep them under the rug.

4. They’re Unprofessional Throughout the Process

But, if that same candidate continues to be unprofessional throughout the interview process—he swears when answering a basic question or he brings up his ex and follows it up with “Gosh, I don’t know why I just said that!”—it can be hard to know whether you should chalk it up to bad luck and nerves or assume the worst.

5. They Seem Too Good to Be True
I’d say to be wary of a candidate who is literally perfect for the job. All applicants want to show how their qualifications align with the position description, but for many roles it would be surprising—and a little fishy—to find someone with the exact number of years of experience you’re looking for, in the exact field, with the preferred degrees, and whose resume or cover letter states she’s checked every single box.

HR managers often say they want someone who could “hit the ground running,” so it’s surprising (even to them) when they’re turned off by someone who could set the course on fire. But unless you’re totally sure this would be the best hire, know that it’s OK to trust your gut and look for someone you think would grow within the role—rather than someone who might feel immediately constrained by it.

www.biempowerment.com
‪#‎WeLoveGraduates‬
‪#‎WeEmpowerYouths‬

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Employers! Have You Ever Hired Someone On Freelancer.com, Upwork, Etc? / Bank Wahala!!!...@nlc...reasons Why Aggrieved Staff Won't Go Back / Job Opportunities For INSO, Chevron, Shell and many more!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.