Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman (17741 Views)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Maduike Ezeibe Discovers Cure For HIV/AIDS (Michael Okpara University Professor) / Pictures From Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by unapapadeycraze: 7:58pm On May 21, 2016
Oliviaarims:
The sole purpose of education isn't to get a job or make money. It goes beyond that.

There are pertinent concerns, which being educated affords such as; grooming, moulding and refining an individual...arming one with the necessary "weaponry" to deal with life's intricacies that come up now and again, those in which only an educated individual can grapple and meander through.

Education improves your reasoning ability.

I could go on and on. Education's never overrated... Schooling might be. A wise person will fuse both.

This girl, i like you because you like to blow big grammarcheesy.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by HorLa00(m): 8:03pm On May 21, 2016
Academic Education alone is not enough coz The same Seun who owns the platform you want to kill yourself on dropped out of Unilorin, later from OAU to start his web career.

Don't say no to Education, remember it is not only Academic..
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by EduRegard: 8:43pm On May 21, 2016
tete7000:

This kind of crap is only written by those who think education and money is synonymous. I no blame the person sha, it is what our society has turned to...money, money and money without any value.

Real education enlightens the mind and sets it free from shackles of slavery. Nothing stops an educated mind from owning a successful business ventures but there us usually a shortcoming in owning a business without proper education.
We need explanations here cos it's like you were probably too busy minding your business profits and couldn't find the time to digest that post before dropping a comment and running off.

The top reads "Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman", which implies, the opinion stated was only that of the writer and solely according to his own perspective, which is possible if it differed compared to yours. So why are you taking it to the head? It's one man's opinion and not meant to be generally accepted.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by azeez4islam(m): 8:46pm On May 21, 2016
THIS REMIND ME OF A LECTURER IN MY SCHOOL WHO WAS ALWAYS WHINING AND CONDENMING EDUCATIONAL DESIGN. MIND YOU, GREAT MINDS DESIGNED EDUCATION TO FIT FOR EVERY ASPECT EVEN THE BUSINESS NEEDS IT. WHICH I CAN GO ON TO EXPLAIN MYSELF BETTER
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by tete7000(m): 8:47pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:
We need explanations here cos it's like you were probably too busy minding your business profits and couldn't find the time to digest that post before dropping a comment and running off.

The top reads "Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman", which implies, the opinion stated was only that of the writer and solely according to his own perspective, which is possible if it differed compared to yours. So why are you taking it to the head? It's one man's opinion and not meant to be generally accepted.

And that is my own opinion too. Am I not entitled to it too? We are all free to have opinion going by your argument I suppose?
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by EduRegard: 9:09pm On May 21, 2016
tete7000:

And that is my own opinion too. Am I not entitled to it too? We are all free to have opinion going by your argument I suppose?
lol...I understand,...but u ddnt state it like an opinion...it sounded like u wanted to beat d OP
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by SammieLowkey(m): 9:13pm On May 21, 2016
Horlaz:
you jst said it all...educational jst prepare you for challenges out there and to make a way where seem no way and to have a better way of doing tins different frm illiterate...
GBAM! You're pretty good in summary.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by bastien: 9:32pm On May 21, 2016
Vick4rill:
this is the most myopic, and unreasonable post i have read today. honestly you and ur aunty are crown pessimist. better drop out from that skul, because u are wasting ur time.who told u a graduate can not do bussiness or even do better than ur aunty? i am a graduate secured a good job and ve so many bussinesses, so what will u say abt that?. to the young minds reading this if you foolishly dump ur educational pursue because of the shit you read here be ready to blame nobody bt ur slf. ur aunty situation is that of a blind man who doesnt ve eyes and then concludes that the eyes smells.
sire since you have businesss and a better job, how about employing me? Don't pay me for 3months unless I'm hard working
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by tete7000(m): 9:38pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:
lol...I understand,...but u ddnt state it like an opinion...it sounded like u wanted to beat d OP

..lol.. My brother, I fit beat person wey I no see? I no be violent man o, just dey ear my own opinion. No mind if it sounded confrontational, I didn't intend that..
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Rick9(m): 9:39pm On May 21, 2016
Just make money that's all
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Elxandre(m): 9:46pm On May 21, 2016
abizo:
please when next you are posting experience tales like dis. av it in mind also dat not everyone is entrepreneurship inclined. Destiny they said might delay but can not b altered. av seen a graduate who after many years of driving as an okada rider became a branch manager of a particular firm tru is former coursemate. now earning #100,000k/month
100k for a branch manager?

That firm must be small ooo.....
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by mexzony: 10:04pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:
He half walked, half dragged to the front of my aunt’s vet store. I had no choice but help aunty Kemi man the place as she is trying to open yet another store in Ikeja.

I was counting on my fingers, trying to find out how many days we had before we resumed back to school. This holiday had been as boring as watching paint dry. I was counting my remaining days of boredom when he knocked, taking me away from my reverie.

He instantly reminded me of Frank Donga. “Please, is there vacancy here? ” he asked. I looked at him from head to toe. His shirt had definitely seen better days. His hair was like a refuse dump and his mouth smelled like a mortuary. His shoes reminded me of canoes. Worn out canoes.

I was still assessing his unpresentable appearance when he shoved photocopied documents into my hands.

“Please sir, I have bsc and msc zoology from OAU, ife”. I thought he was joking. A quick scan of the papers confirmed my fears.

He continued “please give me a job, any job. I will work for free for three months if you want. Please!”. Desperation oozed from his thin frame.

He must have thought I owned the place. “No vacancy” slipped from my lips. He looked at me, fought back tears and snatched his papers. He trudged on.

I watched him go. My aunt who owed the store this masters degree holder is begging for a job didn’t go to any university. Her business is worth over thirty million naira. She always told me the university is a cage that force you to sit behind a desk for four years so you’ll be qualified to sit behind another desk for forty years.

She said university will teach you to look for jobs but never create one. It will teach you yo work for a living but never have a life. I sat. I thought.

She had blamed the craze on the oil boom in the seventies. Then, graduates were entitled to cars and automatic jobs.

She said people still live in that delusion. She told me the richest man alive is a college dropout who followed his dream.

She asked what my dream was. She said ” do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”. I am convinced, college degrees are overrated.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Source : http://eduregard.com/a-quick-story-to-justify-why-degree-education-is-overrated/
what you wont be told is that "only one out of several hundred graduates say 200 will turn out to be a bill gates while the rest will languish in poverty forever."
there is always two sides to a coin.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 21, 2016
unapapadeycraze:

This girl, i like you because you like to blow big grammarcheesy.

Lol. You should love Ronald4lif, then.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Bsmartt(m): 10:36pm On May 21, 2016
It's a very technical question I must say.
First, we have to have a genuine reason for studying a particular course in the higher institution. This will allow one set is goal on both short and long term basis.
Secondly, higher institution does not necessarily mean you will/must secure a job with you course of study but a place to develop/discover that hidden talent/skills that you've got.
Lastly, join the SMART crew.
S- let your goal as a potential graduate be specific
M-Let it be measurable
A-Let your goal be Achievable
R-Let it is be realistic(this is where most of the undergraduate /graduates fail)
T- The goal should be time bound that is, set a time frame for the actualization of your goals.
#myopinion
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by kazyhm(m): 10:45pm On May 21, 2016
thesicilian:

There are some things that sound good to the ears and seem to make a lot of sense, but on indepth analysis turn out to be not so true. This article is one of such.

I'm almost certain you aunty did not on her own decide not to attend a university, it is most likely to have been due environmental factors such as finance, external exams like WAEC & JAMB, or even her own flair (or lack of it) for bookwork..

The richest man in the world did not drop out of university because he did not like university or he was too dull, he dropped out because he was too busy with his programming and the school work was a distraction. Mind you, he was enrolled at Harvard, an elite school strictly for the creme de la creme.

Not every graduate looks for a job. Some get a job while still in school, some right after school, some start up their own companies after university.

Not all job seeking graduates are unkempt, like the one you described above.

The fact that one person made it without seeing the four walls of a university does not call for a condemnation of those who graduated from universities. Your aunty may not have attended one, but its most likely that she had benefited from the knowledge of those who did, either in the planning stages or in the form of formal or informal consultations.

The university does not make you to be dependent on a job, it is the kind of education you give yourself that determines how you turn out in life. The university is a place for learning and research, it is not supposed to be a sit-in-the-classroom-and-copy-notes set up.

And finally I think if anything is overrated, it is the notion of "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life''. Yes it may be less stressful because you have a passion for it, but you still have to work your ass off daily if you intend to make any meaningful impact...

how else can one tell explain it ?

was just thinking, most musician are passionate about their career but you need to witness the stress in entertaining fans

most people don't understand sh!t about life
most importantly, the op doesn't understand the purpose of schooling

2 Likes

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by karkinase(m): 10:46pm On May 21, 2016
I think most people dont reli understand the huge difference between going to School and getting an Education . A School trains you to be an employee but an Education gives one the opportunity and knowledge to explore various horizons. Op, i think you commmited a fallacy by rubbishing the idea of going to school jst because your aunt owns some million naira store without going to school, for your info. some jobs are technically oriented and require expertise knowledge. Bottomline is graduates should learn to be versatile and do what work best for them, dats the idea an Education is meant to provide.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by RicheDadTutors(m): 11:42pm On May 21, 2016
<<MAKE 8 CREDITS & ABOVE IN YOUR WAEC GCE; GUARANTEED>>

2016 NOV/DEC WAEC GCE REGISTRATION is in progress and closes soon! Register with us at Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja and make all your paper in just ONE SITTING- it is a guarantee!

At Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja; we have the BEST EXAMINATION CENTRE in the FCT, as well as the BEST TUTORIAL CENTRE/ FACILITY in the FCT.

We have proofs from the 2015 NOV/DEC WAEC. Below are the results and phone contacts of some our candidates. You are free to contact them for confirmation. Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari, Abuja put smiles on their faces!

1. Name: Anyankpele Caleb
Subjects/ Grades: English (B3), Mathematics (A1), Physics (B3), Chemistry (C5), Biology (B3), Further-Mathematics (C5), Geography(B2), Economics (C6), etc
Exam Agent: Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08132369486

2. Name: Jonah Emmanuel
Subjects/ Grades: English (C5), Mathematics (C5), Physics (C6), Chemistry (C5), Biology (C6), Agric. Science (B3), C.R.S.(C6), Economics (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08186675464

3. Name: Momoh David
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (C5), Physics (C6), Chemistry (C6), Biology (C6), Geography(C5), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08140480835

4. Name: Okeke Stephenie
Subjects/ Grades: English (B2), Mathematics (C5), Biology(C6), Economics (C4), Government (B3), Literature (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08037024790

5. Name: Udoh Amarachi
Subjects/ Grades: English (B2), Mathematics (C5), Government (A1), CRS (A1), Economics (B3), Literature (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08039331457

6. Name: Shalkwgwa Abraham
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (C6), Economics (B3), Geography(B3), Government (B3), Biology (C5), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08067431217

7. Name: Samuel Juliet
Subjects/ Grades: English (C5), Mathematics (C6), Biology (C4), Literature (C6), History (C4), Economics (C6), CRS (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08171326863

8. Name: Zainab Oluwabukola
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (B3), Government (B3), Biology (C4), Agric. Science (C4), Financial Accounting (C6), Economics (C4), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08033173806

And many more colourful results (which are available in our office for confirmation)

For details or registration, feel free to contact the Director of Studies, Riche-Dad Education Consults, Bwari, Abuja on: 08064465717, 08075850108, or 08098802353

Or add us up on whatsApp: +2348186222802

You can visit our office or Study Centre/ Facility, located at:
Adjacent the JAMB CBT MODEL CENTRE, Kogo II or By Laura Hospital Crescent Junction, Kogo II, Bwari, Abuja

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by unapapadeycraze: 12:02am On May 22, 2016
Oliviaarims:

Lol. You should love Ronald4lif, then.

btw, what are you studying in school?
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by nkemjacob2(m): 12:08am On May 22, 2016
Most parent wants their child to go 2 sch and look for a better jobs. With d current economy situation university is not overated. But dat does not min u shud not go to sch. There wil b a different wit some1 who goes and some who do not. However in our state of economy dis not d employment time but d entrepreneur time were we nid ideas to move d economy. I do tell graduate dont look for jobs look for mins to start ur business and initiate ideas.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Originalsly: 12:53am On May 22, 2016
Op is confused.... there is a difference between having a degree and having a degree education. Many have degrees..... but lack the Education that the degree represents. If his aunt had a degree education her business would have been at higher levels.In any aspect of life.... higher education is never a waste of time. Having a passion is not all. ...as we can see the thousands of Kazeems that have a serious passion for auto repairs.... they are like degree holders but lack degree education.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by tee4naija(m): 2:16am On May 22, 2016
Some people's monthly salary is more than the worth of your Aunty's entire business. So,blush no more.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Nobody: 5:07am On May 22, 2016
http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

Here is a list of the top 100 entrepreneurs that never received a college degree. Many of them you will know while others decided to remain slightly under the radar.

1. Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, U.S. president. Finished one year of formal schooling, self-taught himself trigonometry, and read Blackstone on his own to become a lawyer.

2. Amadeo Peter Giannini, multimillionaire founder of Bank of America. Dropped out of high school.

3. Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist, and one of the first mega-billionaires in the US. Elementary school dropout.

4. Andrew Jackson, U.S. president, general, attorney, judge, congressman. Home-schooled. Became a practicing attorney by the age of 35 – without a formal education.

5. Andrew Perlman, co-founder of GreatPoint. Dropped out of Washington University to start Cignal Global Communications, an Internet communications company, when he was only 19.

6. Anne Beiler, multimillionaire co-founder of Auntie Anne's Pretzels. Dropped out of high school.

7. Ansel Adams, world-famous photographer. Dropped out of high school.

8. Ashley Qualls, founder of Whateverlife.com, left high school at the age of 15 to devote herself to building her website business. She was more than a million dollars by 17.

9. Barbara Lynch, chef, owner of a group of restaurants, worth over $10 million, in Boston. Dropped out of high school.

10. Barry Diller, billionaire, Hollywood mogul, Internet maven, founder of Fox Broadcasting Company, chairman of IAC/InterActive Corp (owner of Ask.com),

11. Ben Kaufman, 21-year-old serial entrepreneur, founder of Kluster. Dropped out of college in his freshman year.

12. Benjamin Franklin, inventor, scientist, author, entrepreneur. Primarily home-schooled.

13. Billy Joe (Red) McCombs, billionaire, founder of Clear Channel media, real estate investor. Dropped out of law school to sell cars in 1950.

14. Bob Proctor, motivational speaker, bestselling author, and co-founder of Life Success Publishing. Attended two months of high school.

15. Bram Cohen, BitTorrent developer. Attended State University of New York at Buffalo for a year.

16. Carl Lindner, billionaire investor, founder of United Dairy Farmers. Dropped out of high school at the age of 14.

17. Charles Culpeper, owner and CEO of Coca Cola. Dropped out of high school.

18. Christopher Columbus, explorer, discoverer of new lands. Primarily home-schooled.

19. Coco Chanel, founder of fashion brand Chanel. A perfume bearing her name, Chanel No. 5 kept her name famous.

20. Colonel Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). Dropped out of elementary school, later earned law degree by correspondence.

21. Craig McCaw, billionaire founder of McCaw Cellular. Did not complete college.

22. Dave Thomas, billionaire founder of Wendy's. Dropped out of high school at 15.

23. David Geffen, billionaire founder of Geffen Records and co-founder of DreamWorks. Dropped out of college after completing one year.

24. David Green, billionaire founder of Hobby Lobby. Started the Hobby Lobby chain with only $600. High school graduate.

25. David Karp, founder of Tumblr. Dropped out of school at 15, then homeschooled. Did not attend college.

26. David Neeleman, founder of JetBlue airlines. Dropped out of college after three years.

27. David Ogilvy, advertising executive and copywriter . Was expelled from Oxford University at the age of 20.

28. David Oreck, multimillionaire founder of The Oreck Corporation. Quit college to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

29. Debbi Fields, founder of Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chippery. Later renamed, franchised, then sold Mrs. Field’s Cookies.

30. DeWitt Wallace, founder and publisher of Reader's Digest. Dropped out of college after one year. Went back, then dropped out again after the second year.

31. Dov Charney, founder of American Apparel. Started the company in high school, and never attended college.

32. Dustin Moskovitz, multi-millionaire co-founder of Facebook. Harvard dropout.

33. Frank Lloyd Wright, the most influential architect of the twentieth century. Never attended high school.

34. Frederick “Freddy” Laker, billionaire airline entrepreneur. High school dropout.

35. Frederick Henry Royce, auto designer, multimillionaire co-founder of Rolls-Royce. Dropped out of elementary school.

36. George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor, Kodak founder. Dropped out of high school.

37. George Naddaff, founder of UFood Grill and Boston Chicken. Did not attend college.

38. Gurbaksh Chahal, multimillionaire founder of BlueLithium and Click Again. Dropped out at 16, when he founded Click Again.

39. H. Wayne Huizenga, founder of WMX garbage company, helped build Blockbuster video chain. Joined the Army out of high school, and later went to college only to drop out during his first year.

40. Henry Ford, billionaire founder of Ford Motor Company. Did not attend college.

41. Henry J. Kaiser, multimillionaire & founder of Kaiser Aluminum. Dropped out of high school.

42. Hyman Golden, co-founder of Snapple. Dropped out of high school.

43. Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, one of the richest people in the world, dyslexic.

44. Isaac Merrit Singer, sewing machine inventor, founder of Singer. Elementary school dropout.

45. Jack Crawford Taylor, founder of Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Dropped out of college to become a WWII fighter pilot in the Navy.

46. Jake Nickell, co-founder and CEO of Threadless.com. Did not graduate from college.

47. James Cameron, Oscar-winning director, screenwriter, and producer. Dropped out of college.

48. Jay Van Andel, billionaire co-founder of Amway. Never attended college.

49. Jeffrey Kalmikoff, co-founder and chief creative officer of Threadless.com. Did not graduate from college.

50. Jerry Yang, co-founder of Yahoo! Dropped out of PhD program.

51. Jimmy Dean, multimillionaire founder of Jimmy Dean Foods. Dropped out of high school at 16.

52. John D. Rockefeller Sr., billionaire founder of Standard Oil. Dropped out of high school just two months before graduating, though later took some courses at a local business school.

53. John Mackey, founder of Whole Foods. Enrolled and dropped out college six times.

54. John Paul DeJoria, billionaire co-founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems, founder of Patron Spirits tequilla. Joined the Navy after high school.

55. Joyce C. Hall, founder of Hallmark. Started selling greeting cards at the age of 18. Did not attend college.

56. Kemmons Wilson, multimillionaire, founder of Holiday Inn. High school dropout.

57. Kenneth Hendricks, billionaire founder of ABC Supply. High school dropout.

58. Kenny Johnson, founder of Dial-A-Waiter restaurant delivery. College dropout.

59. Kevin Rose, founder of Digg.com. Dropped out of college during his second year.

60. Kirk Kerkorian, billionaire investor, owner of Mandalay Bay and Mirage Resorts, and MGM movie studio. Dropped out eighth-grade.

61. Larry Ellison, billionaire co-founder of Oracle software company. Dropped out of two different colleges.

62. Leandro Rizzuto, billionaire founder of Conair. Dropped out of college. Started Conair with $100 and hot-air hair roller invention.

63. Leslie Wexner, billionaire founder of a Limited Brands. Dropped out of law school. Started the Limited with $5,000.

64. Marc Rich, commodities investor, billionaire. Founder of Marc Rich & Co. Did not finish college.

65. Marcus Loew, multimillionaire founder of Loews theaters, co-founder of MGM movie studio. Elementary school dropout.

66. Mark Ecko, founder of Mark Ecko Enterprises. Dropped out of college.

67. Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Inc. Did not attend college.

68. Michael Dell, billionaire founder of Dell Computers, which started out of his college dorm room. Dropped out of college.

69. Michael Rubin, founder of Global Sports. Dropped out of college in his first year.

70. Micky Jagtiani, billionaire retailer, Landmark International. Dropped out of accounting school.

71. Milton Hershey, founder of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate. 4th grade education.

72. Pete Cashmore, founder of Mashable.com at the age of 19.

73. Philip Green, Topshop billionaire retail mogul. Dropped out of high school.

74. Rachael Ray, Food Network cooking show star, food industry entrepreneur, with no formal culinary arts training. Never attended college.

75. Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's. Dropped out of high school.

76. Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Records, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Mobile, and more. Dropped out of high school at 16.

77. Richard DeVos, co-founder of Amway. Served in the Army and did not attend college.

78. Richard Schulze, Best Buy founder. Did not attend college.

79. Rob Kalin, founder of Etsy. Flunked out of high school, enrolled in art school for a time, faked a student ID at MIT so he could take classes. His professors subsequently helped him get into NYU, they were so impressed.

80. Ron Popeil, multimillionaire founder of Ronco, inventor, producer, infomercial star. Did not finish college.

81. Rush Limbaugh, multi-millionaire media mogul, radio talk show host. Dropped out of college.

82. Russell Simmons, co-founder of Def Jam records, founder of Russell Simmons Music Group, Phat Farm fashions, bestselling author. Did not finish college.

83. S. Daniel Abraham, founder of Slim-Fast, billionaire. Did not attend college.

84. Sean John Combs, entertainer, producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur. Never finished college.

85. Shawn Fanning, developer of Napster. Dropped out of college at the age of 19.

86. Simon Cowell, TV producer, music judge, American Idol, The X Factor, and Britain's Got Talent. High school dropout.

87. Steve Madden, shoe designer. Dropped out of college.

88. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, billionaire. Did not complete college.

89. Ted Murphy, founder of social media company Izea Entertainment. Dropped out of college.

90. Theodore Waitt, billionaire founder of Gateway Computers. Dropped out of college to start Gateway – one semester before graduating.

91. Thomas Edison, inventor of the lightbulb, phonograph, and more. Primarily home-schooled, then joined the railroad when he was only 12.

92. Tom Anderson, co-founder and “friend” of MySpace. Dropped out of high school.

93. Ty Warner, billionaire developer of Beanie Babies, real estate investor, and hotel owner. Dropped out of college.

94. Vidal Sassoon, founder of Vidal Sassoon, multimillionaire. Dropped out of high school.

95. W. Clement Stone, multimillionaire insurance man, author, founder of Success magazine. Dropped out of elementary school. Later attended high school, graduating. Attended but did not finish college.

96. W.T. Grant, founder of W.T. Grant department stores, multimillionaire. Dropped out of high school.

97. Wally “Famous” Amos, multimillionaire entrepreneur, author, talent agent, founder of Famous Amos cookies. Left high school at 17 to join the Air Force.

98. Walt Disney, founder of the Walt Disney Company. Dropped out of high school at 16.

99. Wolfgang Puck, chef, owner of 16 restaurants and 80 bistros. Quit school at the age of 14.

100. Y.C. Wang, billionaire founder of Formosa Plastics. Did not attend high school.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by NigerianScholar: 5:20am On May 22, 2016
EduRegard:
He half walked, half dragged to the front of my aunt’s vet store. I had no choice but help aunty Kemi man the place as she is trying to open yet another store in Ikeja.

I was counting on my fingers, trying to find out how many days we had before we resumed back to school. This holiday had been as boring as watching paint dry. I was counting my remaining days of boredom when he knocked, taking me away from my reverie.

He instantly reminded me of Frank Donga. “Please, is there vacancy here? ” he asked. I looked at him from head to toe. His shirt had definitely seen better days. His hair was like a refuse dump and his mouth smelled like a mortuary. His shoes reminded me of canoes. Worn out canoes.

I was still assessing his unpresentable appearance when he shoved photocopied documents into my hands.

“Please sir, I have bsc and msc zoology from OAU, ife”. I thought he was joking. A quick scan of the papers confirmed my fears.

He continued “please give me a job, any job. I will work for free for three months if you want. Please!”. Desperation oozed from his thin frame.

He must have thought I owned the place. “No vacancy” slipped from my lips. He looked at me, fought back tears and snatched his papers. He trudged on.

I watched him go. My aunt who owed the store this masters degree holder is begging for a job didn’t go to any university. Her business is worth over thirty million naira. She always told me the university is a cage that force you to sit behind a desk for four years so you’ll be qualified to sit behind another desk for forty years.

She said university will teach you to look for jobs but never create one. It will teach you yo work for a living but never have a life. I sat. I thought.

She had blamed the craze on the oil boom in the seventies. Then, graduates were entitled to cars and automatic jobs.

She said people still live in that delusion. She told me the richest man alive is a college dropout who followed his dream.

She asked what my dream was. She said ” do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”. I am convinced, college degrees are overrated.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Source : http://eduregard.com/a-quick-story-to-justify-why-degree-education-is-overrated/
College is a place to learn and enhance your skills. You grow and become more mature...you cant xpect a16 year old secondary school graduate not to go to university and become an entrepreneur. Develop your abilities before using it to make money
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Elxandre(m): 9:42am On May 22, 2016
And I can count several prominent millionaires worth more than 30 million naira.
Fashola, Kachikwu, Femi Falana, Osibanjo etc.

A man worth 30 million Naira is actually not super rich, he's just comfortable, and don't forget many earn this per annum working in the likes of Chevron etc.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by anitank(f): 12:05pm On May 22, 2016
I think a lot of people misunderstand this post, but unfortunately the op is very right. While education is not useless or even overrated, degree education in Nigeria is completely overrated!
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by James4424: 1:09pm On May 22, 2016
My advice here is that. You shouldn't put all your eges in one basket. I will explain: students in schools should not give all their attention to only studying they must make tons of useful friends. Socialize more and see the results when you're OFFERED A JOB.

School is not useless, it's simply how you go about it.

Criticism is welcome.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by cr80vity(m): 2:44pm On May 22, 2016
EduRegard:

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

r u sure she s a zoology graduate of oau...I am also a graduate of zoology dept and I wish u can give me more information abt her
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by goldtooth: 3:23pm On May 22, 2016
thesicilian:

There are some things that sound good to the ears and seem to make a lot of sense, but on indepth analysis turn out to be not so true. This article is one of such.

I'm almost certain you aunty did not on her own decide not to attend a university, it is most likely to have been due environmental factors such as finance, external exams like WAEC & JAMB, or even her own flair (or lack of it) for bookwork..

The richest man in the world did not drop out of university because he did not like university or he was too dull, he dropped out because he was too busy with his programming and the school work was a distraction. Mind you, he was enrolled at Harvard, an elite school strictly for the creme de la creme.

Not every graduate looks for a job. Some get a job while still in school, some right after school, some start up their own companies after university.

Not all job seeking graduates are unkempt, like the one you described above.

The fact that one person made it without seeing the four walls of a university does not call for a condemnation of those who graduated from universities. Your aunty may not have attended one, but its most likely that she had benefited from the knowledge of those who did, either in the planning stages or in the form of formal or informal consultations.

The university does not make you to be dependent on a job, it is the kind of education you give yourself that determines how you turn out in life. The university is a place for learning and research, it is not supposed to be a sit-in-the-classroom-and-copy-notes set up.

And finally I think if anything is overrated, it is the notion of "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life''. Yes it may be less stressful because you have a passion for it, but you still have to work your ass off daily if you intend to make any meaningful impact...

I love the way you articulate your thoughts. Thumbs up
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by thesicilian: 3:52pm On May 22, 2016
goldtooth:

I love the way you articulate your thoughts. Thumbs up
Thanks. Respect!

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by CaptainKodak(m): 6:45pm On May 22, 2016
I was really hit by this...it's the truth,even FG told schools to teach GSE they don't follow it up...We all know all Naija education is theoretical majorly
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by petermarcus: 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2018
Education became overrated, that's true. But there are always educational resources that offer Leon the professional analysis at https://primetimeessay.com/leon-the-professional-analysis/, which will be a great help to you. In my opinion, the future is in hands of online education, that cares more about kids then any teacher does.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Okays 65-year Retirement Age For Teachers / 5 Types Of People You'll Find In A Student Hostel / Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.