Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. (76991 Views)

US Scientist Becomes Immune To Snake Venom After Allowing Deadly Snakes Bite Him / Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / 20 Myths About Snakes That Will Blow Your Mind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by neocortex: 8:11pm On May 30, 2016
Dexema:
no matter how colourful they are snakes are disgusting slithering animals. good job explorers you could add some pictures of snakes swallowing other snakes. I won't mind if you can get the snake duel between Moses and the magicians of Egypt. grin

That story was a myth.

2 Likes

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Heineken(m): 8:14pm On May 30, 2016
Omo mehn... This snake get mind o... Imagine make snake swallow antelope. Seriously them just be like our naija politicians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by krak101(m): 8:18pm On May 30, 2016
Dexema:
no matter how colourful they are snakes are disgusting slithering animals. good job explorers you could add some pictures of snakes swallowing other snakes. I won't mind if you can get the snake duel between Moses and the magicians of Egypt. grin
check national geographic... Am sure they'll have it grin
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by zanyzara: 8:19pm On May 30, 2016
Nairaland and snake shocked

See the number of members and guests at the viewing centre grin
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nathkem01(m): 8:22pm On May 30, 2016
U can lie oooooo.........snake swallowed goat,swallowed Antelope,kangaroo for wia
I no kuku like snake anyway......
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by damogul: 8:23pm On May 30, 2016
olatunjithomas:
holy cow!! consumed a deer? with its tree-branchlike horns.
that must be mad!!

He said female deer. Female deers or doe do not have antlers, the male do.

2 Likes

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by AlanSugar(m): 8:23pm On May 30, 2016
See how dem de shout "lalasticlala"as if they are not enjoying the snake gist! Abeg, this documentary make sense die! BTW, it was posted since the 22nd of May and just appearing on fp today, why then the lalasticlara crucification?! Nairaland peeps, Just like our lost iPod's!

1 Like

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Spanner4(m): 8:31pm On May 30, 2016
For the benefits of those who are baffled as regards how a snake can swallow large animals. Pls read this facts about snakes.

Feeding Facts
Most people are aware that snakes swallow
their food whole as opposed to taking bites,
but how they do this is still a mystery to some.
Snakes have specialized jaws that enable them
to eat their large prey, along with specialized
skin and bones that can move in different
ways. Their method of eating allows them to
eat large meals at one time, sometimes
sustaining their need to feed for several
weeks.
Extra Bones
The joint between your jaw and your skull is
one of the pivotal features that allows you to
open your mouth. Located just below the ear
on either side, you can easily feel this joint
when you open and close your mouth. Snakes
have an additional bone between the jaw and
skull, which allows them to open their mouths
much wider than a human can.
Separated Lower Jaw
One of the most fascinating facts about a
snake's eating method is his separated lower
jaw. Instead of being attached with bone or
being one piece, the two sides of the jaw are
attached only with stretchy ligaments. The
right and left sides of the jaw do not meet in
the middle, allowing each side to move
independently of the other. When eating a
meal, particularly one that is much larger than
himself, the snake will "walk" the right and left
lower jaw, one after the other, up the body of
his prey. This, along with his backward-curved
teeth, effectively moves the prey animal
further into the snake's body.
Stretching Skin and Locomotion
Once the prey animal has begun to pass
through the mouth and into the esophagus,
the snake's body needs to be able to pass such
a large meal. Humans and many other animals
must chew their food into smaller, bite-sized
pieces to be able to swallow, but a snake's
body and skin stretch to encompass the full
size of the prey. The muscles in the snake's
esophagus contract to push the food down the
esophagus toward the stomach. The snake then
moves his spine behind the food, which causes
his ribs to push in on the food, effectively
pushing the food further down his throat into
his stomach.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Frankamah11(m): 8:31pm On May 30, 2016
Hehehehehe!!!!!!! The snake go Chi chomchim!!! E just be like when u come back from lectures and so OK fucking hungry,u cut and boil one tuber of yam.at the end,u can only eat 5 pieces of the 20 parts!!!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by BetaThings: 8:31pm On May 30, 2016
Ajewealth123:
with that their tiny head,how do they manage to swallow things as big as that?
double post
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Aremu01(m): 8:32pm On May 30, 2016
Reminds me of that ig of police some years back.... Tafa Balogun with his pot belly

hahn:
These snakes share similar traits with our political office holders undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 30, 2016
hahn:

Ahahahaha, u wan kill person wit lafta?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 30, 2016
I hate snakes with passion...
I wonder why God created them,disgusting.

1 Like

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by BetaThings: 8:43pm On May 30, 2016
Ajewealth123:
with that their tiny head,how do they manage to swallow things as big as that?

Read this

Pythons can kill and swallow human beings

http://planetsave.com/2015/02/04/snake-fence-hanging-dead-snake-photo-real-fake/

watch this, although it is in Hindi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7n3Tf_HfE
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 30, 2016
These snakes remind me of PDP.
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by GodblessNig247(m): 8:48pm On May 30, 2016
khalifahsparkles:
boy! this is scary.

Seriously!! ! I enjoyed watching it
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by 4nobody4every1: 8:50pm On May 30, 2016
cool
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Sunkyphil(m): 9:00pm On May 30, 2016
Lala n snake na like 5 n 6
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by sylvez(m): 9:01pm On May 30, 2016
no one don swallow elephant?
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by lovat(m): 9:13pm On May 30, 2016
Michellla:
am i the only one that finds this creepy?
yes
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by lovat(m): 9:17pm On May 30, 2016
Snowangel4:
I hate snakes with passion...
I wonder why God created them,disgusting.
snakes are very important for a balanced ecosystem. Don't hate me plz.

Some shoes and belts are made from snake skin
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 30, 2016
lovat:
snakes are very important for a balanced ecosystem. Don't hate me plz.

Some shoes and belts are made from snake skin

Other things can be use for that .

Y will I hate u
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by lovat(m): 9:26pm On May 30, 2016
Snowangel4:

Other things can be use for that .

Y will I hate u
cos i love Snake
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by prophetfire: 9:29pm On May 30, 2016
Lanceslot:
Holy sh!t! Saw a cobra few days ago about 4ft long crossing the road and I nearly hit a bike man coming from front while dodging it. I hate this creature with passion.
you deserve flogging. You hate it with psassion yet you didn run it over n kill it. You are just afraid of it.you were scared down to ur d-ick that you cldnt act.

1 Like

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 30, 2016
Omo if person see this kind snakes na to pick race ooo. The way dem go take swallow person wey dem catch ehn.
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 30, 2016
hahn:

Guy u nailed it.........uncountable likes from me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 30, 2016
Instant formula to hit front page: kill or write about snakes.
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:42pm On May 30, 2016
The way I hate snakes eh, only God can understand. They have some stupid and flexible jaws that dislocate whenever they are about to do the needful, they can swallow almost anything - their gastric acid is so strong too that helps them digest the horns of any animal. sad angry
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Oluwaxhango(m): 9:50pm On May 30, 2016
Akagum is a siniooooo...

*singing

*leaving thread

*destiakins just left
Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 30, 2016
lovat:
cos i love Snake

Yuck

1 Like

Re: Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. by AustinStevens: 10:16pm On May 30, 2016
..Anyaukwu!!! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mutant Four-Legged Hen Seen In China With Two Limbs Protruding From Its Bum (Pix / A Hippopotamus Killed At Jebba, Niger State (Photos) / A Huge Snake With A Lot Of Eggs In Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.