Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:31 AM

FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply (27426 Views)

Afam Power Plant, Kashimbila & Gurara Hydro Plants To Operate In Nigeria / Be Careful What You Say, I Never Promised Better Power Supply – Fashola / I Never Promised Better Power Supply", Fashola Informs Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by misscall247: 7:58am On May 24, 2016
mar talk.......APC can't change anytin even in d next 8years

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by bukynkwuenu: 7:59am On May 24, 2016
.i hope that is part of his plan for sorting out his 95%...cos the 5% aint smiling
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by omolola15(m): 7:59am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

I expected that many far northern state shuld have been depending on solar already.

I read somewhere that if only 1% of our 937,000sqkm of our land mass can be used for solar farm then we would generate more than 10x the amount of power we need..... and i wonder with all the billion spent every yr and the area that has been encroached by the desert ,which will give us areas of maximun irradiarion,why we have not even look at that alternative all this while

Small time they'll start stealing the solar panel. Na naija we dey.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Aare2050(m): 7:59am On May 24, 2016
last moth, government planning
last week government planning

yesterday government planning

today again. government planning

tomorrow government planning

next week, government planning

next month, government planning
next year, government planning
2019, government planing.
when is government going to start implementing

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Opharhe: 8:01am On May 24, 2016
Way to go. We can't continue laying our eggs in one basket. Diversification of the economy and particularly of energy sources for the country is the way.

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by greenmonk: 8:04am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

I expected that many far northern state shuld have been depending on solar already.

I read somewhere that if only 1% of our 937,000sqkm of our land mass can be used for solar farm then we would generate more than 10x the amount of power we need..... and i wonder with all the billion spent every yr and the area that has been encroached by the desert ,which will give us areas of maximun irradiarion,why we have not even look at that alternative all this while

The fact is that at the current cost of solar power no country including the US have been able to use it beyond a back-up mode for essential services. Anybody dreaming to use solar in commercial volume is just day-dreaming for now.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by obailala(m): 8:04am On May 24, 2016
How much does it really cost to set up a solar farm of 1000mw?

This is an option we should have explored a long time ago. But we keep relying on the erratic gas simply because we are looking for how to utilise our gas and stop flaring. Its time we start building windfarms in coastal cities and solar farms in the sahel regions. India produces up to 12,000mw from solar power alone.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DifferentBoy1(m): 8:07am On May 24, 2016
Propagandist.... always planning without executing....cowards.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by BIAFRANFLAG(m): 8:08am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Come oh.. is it cumpolsary that only FG that hav to build power plants?

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Pls anyone that know how this thing work should let us know.

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale

That's why we are clamouring for REGIONAL GOVERNMENT whereby every zone will take charge of their destiny and develop at their own pace.

For as long as we are practicing UNITARY SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT. states will always depend and takes others from ABUJA.

We are living in a ZOO.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by obailala(m): 8:08am On May 24, 2016
greenmonk:

The fact is that at the current cost of solar power no country including the US have been able to use it beyond a back-up mode for essential services. Anybody dreaming to use solar in commercial volume is just day-dreaming for now.
India produces 12,000mw of its electricity from solar alone. 12,000mw is almost 3 times Nigeria's current capacity; if we can have up to half of that, I can assure you we would have up to 20hrs of electricity per day nationwide.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Papichulo18: 8:08am On May 24, 2016
It's dat time of May were most ppl come out to say tins der can't do. 5days to May 29 kiss, we shouldn't be hapi yet
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nbote(m): 8:10am On May 24, 2016
Goke7:
Hydro is the just the best alternative, good to know the govt is thinking in that direction. I hope the ikere gorge dam in one Ogun, Oyo state is included too

Are u serious or u really don't know? Govt thinking in dat direction? D country have been using hydroelectric power since donkey years already via d Shiroro and Kainji Dam mainly which is why power generation drops once d dry season sets in fully. Maintaining and upgrading d already existing once to full capacity so as to optimize production should b a priority first. With d deposits of coal in Enugu, anoda thermal plant there should b considered and it's high time d nation moves with d times and start considering nuclear power generation.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by BIAFRANFLAG(m): 8:11am On May 24, 2016
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNimri7ZExs

[size=14pt]Nigeria Signs MoU With The U.S. On Electricity Supply[/size]

We keep hearing this almost every year with nothing to show for it.

I bet you, you will still hear it again in the year 2020.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by fiizznation: 8:11am On May 24, 2016
obailala:

This is an option we should have explored a long time ago. But we keep relying on the erratic gas simply because we are looking for how to utilise our gas and stop flaring. Its time we start building windfarms in coastal cities and solar farms in the sahel regions. India produces up to 12,000mw from solar power alone.
Solar is good but is efficiency is very low. Even the advanced countries that fashola is trying to immolate only use solar as a backup

2 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Exponental(m): 8:13am On May 24, 2016
I'm highly disappointed in Fashola. He should have been in the meeting with the American investors rather than attending the commissioning done in Lagos. Sending his SSA on a very important issue concerning the Nation shows little seriousness and all he could do was attend a ceremony..... I'm 'fantastically' disappointed!
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Ferdinandu(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2016
All I see and hear are all the same old lies.At the end of the day all those MOUs comes to nothing
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by fiizznation: 8:19am On May 24, 2016
Nbote:

Are u serious or u really don't know? Govt thinking in dat direction? D country have been using hydroelectric power since donkey years already via d Shiroro and Kainji Dam mainly which is why power generation drops once d dry season sets in fully. Maintaining and upgrading d already existing once to full capacity so as to optimize production should b a priority first. With d deposits of coal in Enugu, anoda thermal plant there should b considered and it's high time d nation moves with d times and start considering nuclear power generation.
May God bless you my bro. Maintaining and upgrading the ones you have now are the key words and that's exactly what I was preaching in a similar thread like this some days ago. Diversification in the power sector is not an option for now. Let's maintain and upgrade what we already have now. But you see that nuclear power of a thing you mentioned; hmm I don't agree with that

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Anowax(m): 8:21am On May 24, 2016
MIKOLOWISKA:
is it there hungry governor's looting left right centre. Obj said anybody can collect licence and build but refused to allow Lagos under fashola to do so cos they were opposition
Was Fashola a governor when Obj was in power...? Agent of misinformation

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Thatitan234(m): 8:22am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale

Lagos owns 6 Independent Power Plants, used in supplying power to various government establishments and facilities like street lights. However, the NERC does not permit it to supply commercial and residential areas.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Itsekiriman101: 8:29am On May 24, 2016
This is what you get when you feel you have the monopoly of power. The Niger Delta is the looser at the end of the day. The oil that we so pride ourselves on is daily being made irrelevant because the world has had enough of the stranglehold of oil on their lives and are now seeking alternative sources of energy.

Oh Niger Delta!!!! At the time when our oil becomes worthless, where do we turn to? Is it the lands that we have destroyed with the spillages from pipelines that we bombed with our own hands? Is it the river that we have polluted with our nefarious activities?

Do we turn to other regions? When we have burnt the bridges that good neighbourliness would have strengthened? We cannot even farm our lands because we have destroyed it with the hydrocarbons that should have been a blessing to us.

Niger Deltans think again. We cannot exist alone, stop the destruction of our land. If we are not developed, it is purely our fault. Anambra does not get 13% derivation but see the development taking place there; same with Lagos, even Ogun state. Wake up, wake up before we destroy our future and that of our children.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nbote(m): 8:34am On May 24, 2016
fiizznation:
May God bless you my bro. Maintaining and upgrading the ones you have now are the key words and that's exactly what I was preaching in a similar thread like this some days ago. Diversification in the power sector is not an option for now. Let's maintain and upgrade what we already have now. But you see that nuclear power of a thing you mentioned; hmm I don't agree with that

I understand everyone's skepticism about d whole nuclear power thing, if yawa gas for d plant na National disaster but looking in dat direction isn't jus about processing it. We could Exchange/swap nuclear materials for renewable and other clean sources of energy seeing dat we are still faaaaaaaaar behind in nuclear advancements in d energy sector.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Robertbh(m): 8:41am On May 24, 2016
mofayodeyahoo:
By now northern states ought to av being using solar, it hardly rainfall until may ending to october. Former govt said similar things
hae excess rain does not favour dam construction....hav u been to d north b4? Rain starts as early as april sometimes march and ends october. Am in Niger and the state has 3 hydro electric dams, zungeru HEP project will be the 4th. D best way to arrest this issue is to construct mabilla,it will add greatly to our national grid
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hustla(m): 8:43am On May 24, 2016
obailala:

500mw is about $1.2b with a life span of 25 years I think but some dasukis would rather swallow the money while some nairalanders will come and shout witch hunting
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by mamawin(f): 8:45am On May 24, 2016
Businessideas:
Good thinking. I think that only the power plants in the Niger delta should run on gas.I think the discos should be allowed to build and own their own power plants, these guys are not having products to sell to their customers. How do you want their business to survive if they have to keep hearing this kind of story. undecided
thank you, how will they pay salary?
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by 989900B: 8:45am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

The laws are archaic; needs to be amended.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by davodyguy: 8:48am On May 24, 2016
AZeD1:

Anyone can build a power plant but it's a capital intensive venture.

Not necessarily capital intensive.

$100,000 will give you a mini hydro power plant and feed people electricity
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Litmus: 8:50am On May 24, 2016

The world's largest solar plant began producing electricity this week in California’s Riverside County desert, as a series of successful, federally-backed utility projects show sunlight becoming an increasingly competitive energy source.

Gov. Jerry Brown has called on California to increase green electricity up to 50 percent by 2030, up from the current goal of 33 percent by 2020. His call came about a month before Monday’s dedication of the Desert Sunlight Solar Farm — which can power up to 160,000 homes.

The majority of state governments now require a significant portion of electricity to come from renewable sources, and President Barack Obama has pledged action to speed a transition to clean energy.

"Solar projects like Desert Sunlight are helping create American jobs, develop domestic renewable energy and cut carbon pollution," U.S. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said in a statement issued Monday. "I applaud the project proponents for their vision and entrepreneurial spirit to build this solar project, and commend Gov. Brown for implementing policies that take action on climate change and help move our nation toward a renewable energy future."

The project’s launch follows the opening of the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System — which can power up to 140,000 homes — last year in California’s Mojave Desert. Nationwide the U.S. Bureau of Land Management has approved 52 large renewable energy projects, including 29 solar plants, since 2009.

Desert Sunlight is constructed on about 4,000 acres of federal land and is owned by NextEra Energy Resources, GE Energy Financial Services and Sumitomo Corporation of America. First Solar, an Arizona-based energy company, is building and operating the plant, according to the California Energy Commission.

The project was made possible through federal loan guarantees amounting to $1.5 billion. The Energy Department said Monday it has provided a total of $4.6 billion in such guarantees to support five large photovoltaic solar projects including Ivanpah in the Southwest, at a time when developers were struggling to obtain financing.

Commercial lenders were not willing to approve loans for such projects because solar plants had not been built at that large a scale in the U.S. before, the Department of Energy said on its website. It said all five projects for which it provided loan guarantees are generating clean electricity and repaying loans.

Today the United States has enough solar projects to power 1.4 million average American homes, according to the Department of Energy.

“The U.S. brings as much solar power online every three weeks as it did in all of 2008,” the department’s website said. “Desert Sunlight … represents nearly half of solar power installed in all of 2008.”

Solar power's rapid growth in recent years has been largely spurred by government targets for renewable energy production and carbon dioxide emission controls, and the International Energy Agency has said that solar energy could be the world's biggest source of electricity by 2050.

President Barack Obama said Tuesday that he aims to raise $2 billion from the private sector for investments in renewable energy. The aim of the Clean Energy Investment Initiative is to spur development of low-carbon technologies and energy sources including solar panels, wind power and advanced batteries.

Though low oil prices have prompted doubts about the solar industry’s ability to remain competitive and continue to grow, many analysts say oil and solar represent separate, non-competing markets and therefore solar’s expansion won’t likely be affected.

The price of solar energy is widely expected to become increasingly competitive compared to other sources of electricity. The costs of producing solar energy are closer to those of other forms of energy when when subsidies meant to support the solar industry are subtracted.

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by enigma2007(m): 8:51am On May 24, 2016
AZeD1:

Anyone can build a power plant but it's a capital intensive venture.

Not anyone (only the FG can do it) especially once it goes beyond a certain MWs. Anybody trying to build power plants would contravene the constitution!

They need to rework the constitution to decentralize the building of power plants as well. looking for the link

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Doyin2(m): 8:51am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Comparative advantage. Simple

Power plants in the north can run on hydro, solar while those in the east can run on coal and gas for those in the south south simple

It give everybody sense of contribution and doesnt make some region feel they are depended upon
South West nko?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

33-Year-Old Ibarakumo Otobotekere Appointed As Commissioner In Bayelsa (Photos) / Obi, His Schoolmate, Valentine Ozigbo, Pay Last Respects To Their Father-in-law / Don’t Vote For Atiku In 2019, Adamawa Crown Prince Tells Electorates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.