Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,163 members, 7,856,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 03:19 AM

FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply (27442 Views)

Afam Power Plant, Kashimbila & Gurara Hydro Plants To Operate In Nigeria / Be Careful What You Say, I Never Promised Better Power Supply – Fashola / I Never Promised Better Power Supply", Fashola Informs Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by linkin8k(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
obailala:
India produces 12,000mw of its electricity from solar alone. 12,000mw is almost 3 times Nigeria's current capacity; if we can have up to half of that, I can assure you we would have up to 20hrs of electricity per day nationwide.

Bro.. India even have up to 7000 MW installed solar capacity yet, they presently have 6762 installed capacity and hope to reach 7000 MW by 2017. (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_India)

People should always try to carry out a background research before giving wrong info on a forum as big and respected as Nairaland.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by chyket(m): 11:05am On May 24, 2016
MIKOLOWISKA:
is it there hungry governor's looting left right centre. Obj said anybody can collect licence and build but refused to allow Lagos under fashola to do so cos they were opposition
Obasanjo was not in power when Fashola was a governor.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by linusbnn(m): 11:08am On May 24, 2016
Goke7:
Hydro is the just the best alternative, good to know the govt is thinking in that direction. I hope the ikere gorge dam in one Ogun, Oyo state is included too

Abeg when them wan do am?. Everyday we hear government to do this and that,i only wonder when
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by linusbnn(m): 11:09am On May 24, 2016
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNimri7ZExs

[size=14pt]Nigeria Signs MoU With The U.S. On Electricity Supply[/size]

Abeg when them wan do am?. Everyday we hear government to do this and that,i only wonder when. Many signatures everywhere
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by obailala(m): 11:38am On May 24, 2016
linkin8k:

Bro.. India even have up to 7000 MW installed solar capacity yet, they presently have 6762 installed capacity and hope to reach 7000 MW by 2017. (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_India)

People should always try to carry out a background research before giving wrong info on a forum as big and respected as Nairaland.
My bad, I think I must have mixed it up somehow; but 6762 isn't bad at all under our present circumstances.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by obailala(m): 11:51am On May 24, 2016
fiizznation:
Solar is good but is efficiency is very low. Even the advanced countries that fashola is trying to immolate only use solar as a backup
Since 50 years of independence, Nigeria still struggles to produce a measly 5000mw from all sources. Yet we have nations who have well over that amount as just 'backup.' Bro, if we can only get half of that backup, then most of our electricity woes would be over.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Tuktuk: 12:24pm On May 24, 2016
greenmonk:

The fact is that with the current cost of solar panels and all other accessories needed for the successful installation and efficient utilization of same, no country including the US have been able to use it beyond a back-up mode for essential services. Anybody dreaming to use solar in commercial volume is just day-dreaming for now.
my point exactly. solar panels are very expensive. we have enormous coal deposits in enugu and other places what is wrong with building coal fired plants like most or all developed nations? they preach climate change but practice that in reality. Nigerian Government should do as they do not as they say.
secondly id because of pipeline vandalization the government is thinking of diversifying our energy sources, then we are in a sorry state. why dont the Government find a lasting solution to that problem while we continue to harness other sources. that i think is what a serious minded and proactive government does.
finally the decision to build generating plants right where the energy source is,is a welcomed development,however the unity and interdependency of different parts of this country should be put into consideration in all of this. this is what makes Nigeria a nation.

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by linkin8k(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2016
obailala:
My bad, I think I must have mixed it up somehow; but 6762 isn't bad at all under our present circumstances.

It's not bad at all. If we could even generate half of that from solar power then i'm sure investors would troop in
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by khSteel: 1:04pm On May 24, 2016
AZeD1:

Anyone can build a power plant but it's a capital intensive venture.

No...anyone cannot build and transmit power because it is on the exclusive list just like interstate railways, etc.

Solar projects are not cheap with respect to power output ratio. I honestly wonder why we can't just sit down and fix our constitutional (structural) issues and make things easy for everyone instead of this constant run-around that will still bring us back to square one at the end.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 24, 2016
Way long overdue, if the energy mix and economy as a whole is balanced, the country wouldn't have to kiss the militants ass each time they start misbehaving.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hmuhammad(m): 1:55pm On May 24, 2016
3ples:
And the wailling waillers will say buhari is building them only in the North
don't mind wailers, they all want PMB to fail
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hmuhammad(m): 1:59pm On May 24, 2016
tete7000:

Its ok but we can't run away totally from what we have in abundance and flare flagrantly. We should equally explore and find permanent solution to vandalism. Let us not forget that even the high tension lines are sometimes vandalised. Who says if we run away from gas the vandals won't return to frustrate us by vandalising the power lines.
vandalism isn't what we can fight in a day, it's a gradual process. I still believe more gas plants will be built in the south
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by brosammy(m): 2:02pm On May 24, 2016
It is reallg gladden to see that our so called legislative has started reasoning like a normal human being who posses potentials worthy of his office, since independent Nigera have been using hydro electric power, and we actually enjoy it then not until when a lugubrious corruption set in to the extent that NEPA only make billion every month but will never reserve even minute to rehabilitate those dams despite the cheaper cost of maintanance when compare to gas plant. During those period we never heard of an vandalism as regard the dam, instead those dams even serve as torisim and source of employment to fisher men in the area where it is been constructed. Every of the geo political zone that makes up this country are blessed with aboundance water which facilitate power generation with ease and without wastage of other benificial resources throughout the year. For them then to continue using this fixed and readily available resources, something got wrong with their reasoning and they diversify into using resources that is not readily available, require some level of processing and kind of expensive
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by greenmonk: 2:03pm On May 24, 2016
obailala:
India produces 12,000mw of its electricity from solar alone. 12,000mw is almost 3 times Nigeria's current capacity; if we can have up to half of that, I can assure you we would have up to 20hrs of electricity per day nationwide.

In economics u dont talk of numbers in isolation to other parameters. India with a population of over 1 billion and organised tax system canot be compared with lootocratic Nigeria where people go into public office with sole intention to steal. If our senate was to be in india alot of hem would have resigned by now from the scandal they are enmeshed in.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by obailala(m): 2:08pm On May 24, 2016
greenmonk:

In economics u dont talk of numbers in isolation to other parameters. India with a population of over 1 billion and organised tax system canot be compared with lootocratic Nigeria where people go into public office with sole intention to steal. If our senate was to be in india alot of hem would have resigned by now from the scandal they are enmeshed in.
There is nothing wrong with my comparison especially as it concerns the subject of discussion; if India can generate so much from solar farms, I see no reason why it cant be emulated by Nigeria.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by greenmonk: 2:08pm On May 24, 2016
obailala:

In economics u dont talk of numbers in isolation to other parameters. India with a population of over 1 billion and organised tax system cannot be compared with lootocratic Nigeria where people go into public office with sole intention to steal. If our senate was to be in india alot of them would have resigned by now from the scandal they are enmeshed in.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by porka: 2:12pm On May 24, 2016
Beremx:
nice one Fashola!

The useless Avengers should keep bombing the pipelines for all i care. they should also be ready to clean up their environment themselves.

All infrastructure is vulnerable to vandalism.

There is nothing on ground to suggest that these power infrastructure would be insulated from attacks by any aggrieved/criminal group or from external aggression - absolutely nothing.

Boko Haram attacked the network providers' masts and other equipment savagely; the whole of North East was cut-off from civilization at a point.

The solution is to begin the process of restructuring Nigeria.

All attempts at taking the easy route by sidestepping and running away from the real issues would be postponing the evil day.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Adminisher: 4:46pm On May 24, 2016
Tuktuk:

my point exactly. solar panels are very expensive. we have enormous coal deposits in enugu and other places what is wrong with building coal fired plants like most or all developed nations? they preach climate change but practice that in reality. Nigerian Government should do as they do not as they say.
secondly id because of pipeline vandalization the government is thinking of diversifying our energy sources, then we are in a sorry state. why dont the Government find a lasting solution to that problem while we continue to harness other sources. that i think is what a serious minded and proactive government does.
finally the decision to build generating plants right where the energy source is,is a welcomed development,however the unity and interdependency of different parts of this country should be put into consideration in all of this. this is what makes Nigeria a nation.
x

So many calculations are showing coal fired plants more expensive than solar because you have to fluidize the coal to burn properly and then after burning you have to install expensive flue gas treatment to meet Kyoto accords.
If you start investing in solar however, I am quite sure the US and Europe will pay up to half of it if we know what grants to tap
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:08pm On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Come oh.. is it cumpolsary that only FG that hav to build power plants?

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Pls anyone that know how this thing work should let us know.

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale
Nigerian Law does not allow the states to build power plants without contributing it to the national grid. When it gets to the national grid it will then be shared. Lagos had before now been arguing for states to have the power to generate and meet their own needs. Just like it was arguing for the right to state policing. But since the man who was making the argument is now the minister for power, he can just go ahead and provide it for us all.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by BossKratos: 6:29pm On May 25, 2016
grin
dunkem21:

Wey the source na ..

How market?
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:42pm On May 26, 2016
chyket:
Obasanjo was not in power when Fashola was a governor.
sorry tinubu wanted to do private power. Obj no gree
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:43pm On May 26, 2016
kolexy:

Obj was not President when Fashola became Governor.
my bad I meant to tinubu. Chai see Wetin old age de cause. I don even forget every finish
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:44pm On May 26, 2016
Anowax:
Was Fashola a governor when Obj was in power...? Agent of misinformation
Yeeeeeeee see fuckup. Na tinubu o, mistake
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:46pm On May 26, 2016
DaudaAbu:

I expected that many far northern state shuld have been depending on solar already.

I read somewhere that if only 1% of our 937,000sqkm of our land mass can be used for solar farm then we would generate more than 10x the amount of power we need..... and i wonder with all the billion spent every yr and the area that has been encroached by the desert ,which will give us areas of maximun irradiarion,why we have not even look at that alternative all this while
I read it too. Desertec. Na d who go sponsor the 400 billion dollar investment we de wait
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:47pm On May 26, 2016
DaudaAbu:

I expected that many far northern state shuld have been depending on solar already.

I read somewhere that if only 1% of our 937,000sqkm of our land mass can be used for solar farm then we would generate more than 10x the amount of power we need..... and i wonder with all the billion spent every yr and the area that has been encroached by the desert ,which will give us areas of maximun irradiarion,why we have not even look at that alternative all this while
and nobody will try it now that they've seen how unsecure the North is. Na personal solar be d way forward.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 12:59pm On May 29, 2016
porka:

All infrastructure is vulnerable to vandalism.

There is nothing on ground to suggest that these power infrastructure would be insulated from attacks by any aggrieved/criminal group or from external aggression - absolutely nothing.

Boko Haram attacked the network providers' masts and other equipment savagely; the whole of North East was cut-off from civilization at a point.

The solution is to begin the process of restructuring Nigeria.

All attempts at taking the easy route by sidestepping and running away from the real issues would be postponing the evil day.

Yes nothing, but hydro station have been existing in Niger state from time immemorial yet you've not heard of one single one been Attacked/bombed.
kainji, shiroro, even recent zungeru and gurara are all in the same state. Have cried foul? There are state that are historically known not to be violent except if the decide to take a leaf frm the avenger

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eze Madumere Releases Statement On Impeachment / Residents Lament As Heavy Downpour Washes Off Ondo Bridge (photos) / Mele. Kyari: NNPC To Stop Running Refineries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.