Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply (27380 Views)

Afam Power Plant, Kashimbila & Gurara Hydro Plants To Operate In Nigeria / Be Careful What You Say, I Never Promised Better Power Supply – Fashola / I Never Promised Better Power Supply", Fashola Informs Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 10:47pm On May 23, 2016
Vandalism: FG considers more investment in hydro, solar for better power supply

For the incessant vandalisation of gas pipelines to power plants, the Federal Government is planning more investment on hydro and solar for better electricity supply.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) stated this at a partnership between the United States government, under the aegis of USAID and Power Africa initiative on one hand; and Nigeria’s power distribution companies, the DisCos, on the other hand in Abuja.
The Minister, who revealed that the country had attained the highest level of electricity generation of 5, 074 megawatts of power supply in February, stated that it has dwindled as a result of deliberate vandalisation of oil production platforms and pipelines and gas supply lines.

Stating that with this situation it is difficult to rely on gas fired plants to increase power generation, he said, “We have also focused on accelerating the deployment of solar power in order to diversify our energy mix and reduce our dependence on gas and the risk that over-dependence on gas poses to our plan of incremental, steady and ultimately uninterrupted power.

“We are working hard to stimulate the use of solar, and we are accelerating plans to complete Zungeru hydro power plant, the Kashimbilla hydro plant, the Gurara hydro plant and conclude the procurement plan to start the construction of the Mambilla hydro plant.

“In addition, I am pleased to inform you that the ICRC has concluded business case reviews for the first phase of eight small hydro power plants
“We will be taking further steps to complete the procurement process and start work on these dams to generate electricity with our water resources and gradually reduce our dependence on gas and the risk of a single power source.

“We have been dependent on gas by choice and we will become independent by choice and diversification.”

http://newtelegraphonline.com/vandalism-fg-considers-investment-hydro-solar-better-power-supply/

23 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Businessideas: 10:53pm On May 23, 2016
Good thinking. I think that only the power plants in the Niger delta should run on gas.I think the discos should be allowed to build and own their own power plants, these guys are not having products to sell to their customers. How do you want their business to survive if they have to keep hearing this kind of story. undecided

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 10:59pm On May 23, 2016
Comparative advantage. Simple

Power plants in the north can run on hydro, solar while those in the east can run on coal and gas for those in the south south simple

It give everybody sense of contribution and doesnt make some region feel they are depended upon

74 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Goke7: 11:02pm On May 23, 2016
Hydro is the just the best alternative, good to know the govt is thinking in that direction. I hope the ikere gorge dam in one Ogun, Oyo state is included too

3 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by mofayodeyahoo: 11:39pm On May 23, 2016
By now northern states ought to av being using solar, it hardly rainfall until may ending to october. Former govt said similar things

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 12:22am On May 24, 2016
Come oh.. is it cumpolsary that only FG that hav to build power plants?

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Pls anyone that know how this thing work should let us know.

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Horus(m): 1:21am On May 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNimri7ZExs

[size=14pt]Nigeria Signs MoU With The U.S. On Electricity Supply[/size]

3 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:06am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale
is it there hungry governor's looting left right centre. Obj said anybody can collect licence and build but refused to allow Lagos under fashola to do so cos they were opposition.

Sorry o
I meant to write under tinubu o
Old age loading

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Segadem(m): 4:25am On May 24, 2016
I don't want to know which method of generating power u use, what we want is constant and stable electricity

2 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Segadem(m): 4:29am On May 24, 2016
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNimri7ZExs

[size=14pt]Nigeria Signs MoU With The U.S. On Electricity Supply[/size]
how many times will Nigeria sign MOU with others countries?
3 years ago they sign the same agreement with Indian government, what has it been the outcome?

5 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Beremx(f): 5:52am On May 24, 2016
nice one Fashola!

The useless Avengers should keep bombing the pipelines for all i care. they should also be ready to clean up their environment themselves.

22 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by sheguy(m): 6:21am On May 24, 2016
Dis man is really thinking rite!!! God pls gv him more brain and power to succeed i pray oh lord.

22 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by viccassi(m): 6:43am On May 24, 2016
Well, why did they not think of this before? And should be applied to other sectors to reflect a kind of true fedralism.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 6:54am On May 24, 2016
MIKOLOWISKA:
is it there hungry governor's looting left right centre. Obj said anybody can collect licence and build but refused to allow Lagos under fashola to do so cos they were opposition

I expected that many far northern state shuld have been depending on solar already.

I read somewhere that if only 1% of our 937,000sqkm of our land mass can be used for solar farm then we would generate more than 10x the amount of power we need..... and i wonder with all the billion spent every yr and the area that has been encroached by the desert ,which will give us areas of maximun irradiarion,why we have not even look at that alternative all this while

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 6:55am On May 24, 2016
And probably by now we should hav built up expertise in that sector
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by dunkem21(m): 7:01am On May 24, 2016
No source .. Propaganda week loading grin

4 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Ajibel(m): 7:11am On May 24, 2016
Fashola has got good ideas for the Power sector. The painful thing is that it'll take some time for us to feel the effects. But I believe he'll do it.

So in the meantime they just have to arrest the issue of pipeline vandalism and give us light, while working on diversifying our power generation capabilities.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Poweredbreww: 7:26am On May 24, 2016
dunkem21:

If its news about bombings, you will rush here with that your dirty hand to insult everyone and post your usual trash. Go find a job and stop disgracing yourself everywhere. Mschew

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 7:27am On May 24, 2016
dunkem21:

You didnt see all the quoted source? Bro look again, this time with your glasses on

9 Likes

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by dunkem21(m): 7:30am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

You didnt see all the quoted source? Bro look again, this time with your glasses on

Wey the source na ..
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by AZeD1(m): 7:37am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

Anyone can build a power plant but it's a capital intensive venture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vice President Vs Senate President: Who Is More Politically Relevant In Nigeria? / Teachers Absent As Borno Governor, Shettima, Takes Roll Call In Schools. PICS / Egypt To Deport 7 Nigerians Over End SARS Protest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.