Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,642 members, 7,820,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today (38649 Views)

Throwback: Dora Akunyili Battled The Cabal Under Yaradua (Video) / Buhari's Health: His Time Is Almost Up Like Yaradua, World Will Be Shocked - FFK / Oli Price Crashed $100 To $30 A Barrel And Nigerians Still Blame Buhari For Woes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Maybe you should make a good use, I mean a really good use of your brain.
as suspected..
A typical Nigerian yoot trying to talk smart but dumber than fish. grin

1 Like

Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by koboko69: 1:15pm On May 25, 2016
agabaI23:
First off, why did you eliminate the fact that oil rose to $147/barrel under UMYA before the downward trend?

Under Jonathan, the highest was about $105 or so...

Can you clarify if the $21.8 b mentioned by NOI include both foreign and domestic debt. I remember when NOI said that the bulk of the debt is due to the salary increase of 2010 which 'APC' strongly supported against NOI advice that the country could not carry it.

Out of the $21.8b, what percentage is external and what is domestic?

The kind of lies u people tell. Was APC in existence in 2010? Na wa ooooo. Oil peaked 147, yeah...but it started from a all time low and peaked in about 8 months. Then started a downward trend. Yaradua was able to raise 43 to $64bn with that short time. Jonathan enjoyed oil boom, averaging not less than 90usd for more than 2 years. He as no excuse.

2 Likes

Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by menxer: 1:16pm On May 25, 2016
Buhari met $32 bn as external reserves and $63 billion esternal debt even though Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, promptly rose to the defence of Mr. Jonathan’s administration, saying of the $63 billion debt, the administration only incurred $21.8 billion. How the external debt rose to an alarming rate remains unclear. Buhari also met a subsidy debt of about N600bn. How subsidy claims rose from N320bn to a whooping 2 trillion Naira under his administration remains unclear till this day.

The bolded is the only part of this article that is choking me, is there no logical way to explain it?
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:16pm On May 25, 2016
adeniyibolanle:
[s]And mind you, what made me respect GEJ was because he accepted defeat in good faith for peace to reign but apart from that guy he no try for the management of the economy [/s]

Oga, think na...please use ya head...

Do you think if he was truly corrupt, he would just give up like that? That he will allow anybody to win? That he will allow the opposition to have any breathing space, growing stronger by the day?

How well do you analyse his management?

Were you also aware that he gave a mid-term report of his stewardship and challenged anyone to criticize it? What did you do?
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by LaExpert: 1:20pm On May 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
By Nov. 2014, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala depleted our reserves by 2Billion dollars without appropriation. If they ran a healthy economy, why dip hands into the ECA.

Anyone who believes President Buhari inherited a healthy economy, does not know what a healthy economy is.

Define a healthy economy.

When has the Nigerian economy ever been healthy?

I hope you don't shy away, mr know-it-all.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:20pm On May 25, 2016
MetaHuman:
as suspected..
A typical Nigerian yoot trying to talk smart but dumber than fish. grin

Not the typical Nigerian youth I must tell you.

But you, the typical youth who does nothing of his own, will not do anything of his own, will never listen to anybody (especially those who are wiser and more knowledgeable), will never be creative nor innovative, will never want to get down to word, will never pursue productive ventures, will never ask meaningful questions, will hate schooling, but will want his food served on his table while he lays on his bed everyday.

You Zombie is the typical youth.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:22pm On May 25, 2016
adeniyibolanle:
I know that some fox will still come supporting GEJ as a die hard fan. Brother face reality, apc share, pdp share but I hate when people like you paint GEJ regime as perfect all because of your hatred for PMB

Brother, I do not paint GEJ's regime as all perfect

I don't hate Mr. Buhari...but I don't like him either.

Why do we always focus on 'pdp share'? That has always been my problem with these folks. Like PDP is responsible for the milk they drink.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by superstar1(m): 1:24pm On May 25, 2016
LaExpert:

You wrote the bold, yet, you'll declare that PDP destroyed Nigeria for 16years.

When will you ever stop being confused?

Show the world where i ever said that.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Not the typical Nigerian youth I must tell you.

But you, the typical youth who does nothing of his own, will not do anything of his own, will never listen to anybody (especially those who are wiser and more knowledgeable), will never be creative nor innovative, will never want to get down to word, will never pursue productive ventures, will never ask meaningful questions, will hate schooling, but will want his food served on his table while he lays on his bed everyday.

You Zombie is the typical youth.
hahahaha.. Would I ask you to counter op if I don't want to listen to anybody..
I was hoping to Read something smart from you but at the end you are just another empty brain wailer that sings zombie on every intelligent post

You cannot even comprehend a simple post .. Shitttt grin just gerahere and stop embrassing yourself already. grin
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Acidosis(m): 1:25pm On May 25, 2016
MetaHuman:
you are still not using your brain.

There are gas pipelines vandalism during obj, gej and yaradua's era.... That is not an excuse... In fact militancy should be the least of our problem..

The problem is there are no power generating plants.
The money meant for these plants has been stolen or mismanaged..

Nigeria spent 40billion dollars from oobj era to gejs but only able to add 2500mw to power generated with that whooping sum while china generated 25000mw with less than 30billion dollars.

Now imagine if pdp gave us atleast 20000mw with that money from diverse power generation e.g solar, to hydro and wind, Even if millitants blow up the entire naija delta, it wont stop nigeria from having power..
But then the money has been stolen leaving us at the mercy of militants.

Get the logic now?

You see why I said I hate arguing with zombies??

We are talking about the CURRENT epileptic power supply as opposed to the amount of megawatts APC promised yearly, the best defence you have is to state how PDP should have generated 20,000 megawatts of electricity.

If PDP had done that, would you have voted APC?

Did you not see the problems before you PRINTED placards and tagged it CHANGE?

If Buhari had built power plants in 1984 and generated at least 15,000 megawatts, would Nigeria not be better now?

This, obviously, is my last opinion on this issue. I hate arguing with zombies.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by RedCapChief(m): 1:27pm On May 25, 2016
menxer:

The bolded is the only part of this article that is choking me, is there no logical way to explain it?

As at the time of Yar'adua's death. He had increased the government's wage bill by 53%.
Okonjo-Iweala has already explained that. The @op just doesn't want to see that.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by mokset123: 1:29pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:
When I say we have a problem with the way people think.....

Just negodu this one....same post ooo

you misunderstand the post, the first paragraph is a quote from a post. I had to correct the misconception with my post below
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by jdleo32(m): 1:31pm On May 25, 2016
seunmsg:

OBJ'S first budget was a little over N800billion, now, we are talking of financing a N6trillion budget. The minimum wage as at the time OBJ took over was less than N4000 before he increased it to N7500. Today, it's N18000 and labour are already calling for increase. So bro, times are very different. Nobody, not even OBJ can do any miracle with Nigeria's economy if crude oil prices remain as low as we've seen since last year.
I wish i can tell you face to face. This administration kacks direction. You and i know it. we keep complaining of low oil price but we aint thinking generating income from a lasting source So 60% of the crisis encountered to would be in the past. What idea is this govt putting to diversify and put the past admin to shame. i am not speaking for the past admin but every meaningful and concerned citizens. lets put the past behind and see the future. The change we craved for was not to see price increase but to use interllect to sterm it. Why in Gods name will you know hw bad things were and let it get worst. As at today what we ordinary citizens have felt is much worst compared to abachas admintration. while we still hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel i feel the best are yet to be unveiled but buhari must do more i say MORE on price reduction. OKONJU wouldnt let price fall below wat it was knowing what was put in to hold inflation,GDP and various index on a favorable standard. The people must feel the need of this govt. remember its not everybody that leaves in the city those in the village must tell good about the govt. therefore those price increase that affected the poor must be put to consideration less this admin. is doom for failure.

thanks and God bless our leader GMB
And NIGERIA.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Cvesta(m): 1:31pm On May 25, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.
What a joker.

How dare you quote Premium Times to me as your source for economic facts.

Premium Times is a tabloid, not a source for real economic facts.

I suggest you get an education to help you know the difference between external DEBT and Total debt stock that includes Domestic DEBT.

Stop embarrassing yourself with your half-baked knowledge.

Gosh!
Talk about dishonesty and buffoonery. undecided
Why not post the source of your hard earned facts and figures rather than resort to sheer throw of tantrum at a fellow debater who has laid bare arguments backed with authorities
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 25, 2016
Acidosis:

You see why I said I hate arguing with zombies??

We are talking about the CURRENT epileptic power supply as opposed to the amount of megawatts APC promised yearly, the best defence you have is to state how PDP should have generated 20,000 megawatts of electricity.

If PDP had done that, would you have voted APC?

Did you not see the problems before you PRINTED placards and tagged it CHANGE?

If Buhari had built power plants in 1984 and generated at least 15,000 megawatts, would Nigeria not be better now?
if PDP had done right thing,APC won't even exist to begin with.. Common sense which wailers like you lack.

The fact that PDP failed is the reason we voted APC and they have 4years to prove their worth. APC promised to stabilize power even when PDP promises same and failed while your fellow failure wailers hail them, we gave PDP 16years, give apc at least 4years, if they then failed, then come back with your I told you so then.

Kapish?
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:36pm On May 25, 2016
MetaHuman:
hahahaha.. Would I ask you to counter op if I don't want to listen to anybody..
I was hoping to Read something smart from you but at the end you are just another empty brain wailer that sings zombie on every intelligent post

You cannot even comprehend a simple post .. Shitttt grin just gerahere and stop embrassing yourself already. grin

Really? You claim to comprehend that intelligent post? You even have the guts to call it an intelligent post?

Smh

What a disgrace you are to education.

Like these fallacies?

It will be hypocritical and unfair for anyone not to expect the economy woes of today with the above analysis. With the indications above it is not out of place to say President Buhari inherited a virtually empty Treasury

Buhari met $32 bn as external reserves and $63 billion esternal debt

While Jonathan was unable grow the foreign reserves like his predecessor during the oil boom remains unclear.

Alot of leakages have been plugged, and a solid foundation is being layed down.

You must be damp!
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by LaExpert: 1:36pm On May 25, 2016
fiizznation:
The previous administration sold oil{our only export earning commodity} for about $147 per barrel for almost 5yrs, now tell me, what the hell did they do with all the money and where did they kept the money?

Hear from your fellow grin

koboko69:

Yeah we all know the higher the cruilde price the more subsidy paid, but this did not balloon the subsidy rate withnoil @ $147/barrel. What actually changed? The last time i checked oil didn't get that high at any point in Jonathan's regime. Besides with crude oil going low, why was there no corresponding decrease in subsidy claims that a whopping 600bn was left as money owed to the marketers.

Zombies will always represent what they stand for. grin
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:37pm On May 25, 2016
mokset123:
you misunderstand the post, the first paragraph is a quote from a post. I had to recorrect the misconception with my post below

Ohhh, sowi! cry cry cry
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by IkpuMmadu: 1:37pm On May 25, 2016
koboko69:

Geeeraaaahaaaahear......

Very lame argument. Cos of a single typo. When u ain't blind u can see it correctly spelt in others.

But u just can't spell external
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:38pm On May 25, 2016
Cvesta:

Why not post the source of your hard earned facts and figures rather than resort to sheer throw of tantrum at a fellow debater who has laid bare arguments backed with authorities

You know not the rules of engagement in the politics section!
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Really? You claim to comprehend that intelligent post? You even have the guts to call it an intelligent post?

Smh

What a disgrace you are to education.

Like these fallacies?

Alot of leakages have been plugged, and a solid foundation is being layed down.

You must be damp!
yawnz

Its not my problem if you are too stupid to comprehend stuff.. Go back to school kid and get off my mention tongue
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by agabaI23(m): 1:38pm On May 25, 2016
koboko69:

The kind of lies u people tell. Was APC in existence in 2010? Na wa ooooo. Oil peaked 147, yeah...but it started from a all time low and peaked in about 8 months. Then started a downward trend. Yaradua was able to raise 43 to $64bn with that short time. Jonathan enjoyed oil boom, averaging not less than 90usd for more than 2 years. He as no excuse.

I did not think you won't see the invited coma...
Why did you think I did that? Fancy?
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by adeniyibolanle(m): 1:39pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

Brother, I do not paint GEJ's regime as all perfect

I don't hate Mr. Buhari...but I don't like him either.

Why do we always focus on 'pdp share'? That has always been my problem with these folks. Like PDP is responsible for the milk they drink.
I get you bro, the same thieves in pdp don migrate go apc. GEJ had a good vision but he was misled by the kabal and GEJ is a soft man. I no like PMB too but I feel 9ja needs someone with a brave heart and who is not afraid of anybody "no be dis nonsense wey herdsmen de do and the idiot just kept quiet " to fight corruption because my brother corruption don almost finish this country
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 1:41pm On May 25, 2016
MetaHuman:
yawnz

Its not my problem if you are too stupid to comprehend stuff.. Go back to school kid and get off my mention tongue

It is my problem when you act like a zombie because tomorrow, you'll claim to have the magic wand that can cure all ills affecting the country!

Now uncle, go chew your fellow zombies, after all that's all you do.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Cvesta(m): 1:44pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

You know not the rules of engagement in the politics section!

What might those rules be Mr?
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:44pm On May 25, 2016
APC knew what they were getting into prior to the presidential election. Oil prices were already dropping with economist projections saying it would drop further. Before the election day, Buhari & his cohorts promised so many things despite being aware of the fall in oil price & depleted reserves. As electorates, are we not to hold our leaders accountable to their words?
All this talk of PMB being unfortunate is baseless, if he knew the condition of nigeria & still went ahead to campaign. Then he knew what he was getting into & so deserves our complain if he doesn't deliver
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by LaExpert: 1:45pm On May 25, 2016
superstar1:

Show the world where i ever said that.

In case you did not see my post or cannot comprehend; here is it again.

LaExpert:

You wrote the bold, yet, you'll declare that PDP destroyed
Nigeria for 16years.
[quote author=superstar1 post=45955774]

Yes, you'll declare that. Yes, You...and your fellow zombies.

Don't make me ask you directly.
Infact, let me ask.

In PDP's 16 years of governing Nigeria, did it make it a better place or did it destroy it?

Answer simply if you dare!
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 25, 2016
kaboninc:

It is my problem when you act like a zombie because tomorrow, you'll claim to have the magic wand that can cure all ills affecting the country!

Now uncle, go chew your fellow zombies, after all that's all you do.

lemme know when you post something meaningfull to counter the thread ..
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by nenergy(m): 1:51pm On May 25, 2016
plaetton:

Op.

You are a big liar.

As of October 2015, Nigeria's external debt stood at around $10b.
In FACT, $8b to $10 had been the average since 2008, long before Jonathan became president.

Therefore, Jonathan did not increase Nigeria's external debt by any significant amount.

It is on record that the current minister of finance is using Nigeria's very low DEBT to GDP ratio as a justification for seeking more external loans this year.

In your lopsided analysis, selective amnesia didn't allow you mention that OBJ inherited a Nigeria that had completely collapsed economically and politically.

He inherited a mere $3b in reserves and $38b in debt and oil price in the teens.
How did he and NOI do the magic?

Buhari inherited $30b reserves, $10b external debt and he is sulking and whining like a spoilt brat.

Be man enough to call incompetence and failure what it is: INCOMPETENCE and FAILURE.

All of you should go and hide in shame.

Oga! Stop shouting!! where are your own links? Op provided links to support his point, where at yours?

1 Like

Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by superstar1(m): 1:54pm On May 25, 2016
LaExpert:

In case you did not see my post or cannot comprehend; here is it again.

I have no business with any party.

OBJ made impact an turned things around. Yar Adua only came to save and to stop all on-going projects.

Th Mandela of Otuoke only came to loot. Even Abacha will be scared of the looting capabilities of the wailers' Hero.
Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by kaboninc(m): 2:03pm On May 25, 2016
adeniyibolanle:
I get you bro, the same thieves in pdp don migrate go apc. GEJ had a good vision but he was misled by the kabal and GEJ is a soft man. I no like PMB too but I feel 9ja needs someone with a brave heart and who is not afraid of anybody "no be dis nonsense wey herdsmen de do and the idiot just kept quiet " to fight corruption because my brother corruption don almost finish this country

Truth is that no matter how good you are, you will always have saboteurs. No matter how good your intentions are, you will always have those who will discredit and make a f..ool of you. It happens world over. In our homes, in our offices, in our schools, in everywhere. But I don't subscribe to the statement that he was misled by a cabal. Because truth is, the foundation this administration is building its phantom dreams were laid by the GEJ administration.

GEJ at an early stage realized that it is very expensive to fight the Nigerian type of corruption because no matter what you do, the corruption industry will always boom and people will always find ways to beat the system. So what did he do? He set out to identify those weaknesses, those loopholes in the system that encourages corruption. Today, there is a system that is battling ghost workers. There is a system that is battling government procurement contracts. There is a system that is checking abuse in subsidies. Heck, the Administration of Criminal Justice was passed into law! We could have achieved a whole lot in the oil industry but because the problem was from the inside and as you keep bringing new blood, the players on the outside will also keep infecting them. That was why he elected to remove subsidy.

Now if you look at most of the corruption cases being fought by the EFCC, you will notice that they are mostly premised on "abuse of office", "financial misconduct", using the Badeh case as a case study. Now in Badah's case, there is this money that is allocated to his office under the line item "Training and Operations". These allocations were supposed to be used to conduct "Training" either for those who work in his office or the entire Force group. Instead, it is alleged that he used the money (about 500 million monthly) to build and acquire properties. Now this is a clear case of financial impropriety, abuse of office and gross official misconduct. It didn't start with Badeh. Even former Defence Chiefs are not left out. Mind you also, there was no petition against Badeh but rather something led to something and they realized that the guy has assets scattered here and there.

Don't you think if a whistle had been blown in the time of GEJ, he would not have prosecuted him?

Let us look at issues objectively and until we do, we won't take a step forward.

2 Likes

Re: How The Economy fared Under Yaradua With Oil @ $40/barrel And The Reality Today by plaetton: 2:03pm On May 25, 2016
nenergy:

Oga! Stop shouting!! where are your own links? Op provided links to support his point, where at yours?

Go through the thread again, and kindly point out the FACTS for which you need references.

I would be happy to oblige you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Akeredolu And Aiyedatiwa: When The Going Was Good (picture) / Buhari Sacks Muhammad Mustapha Abdallah, NDLEA Chairman / Photos From National Council Of State Meeting Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.