Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

5 Parties That Should Alleviate Hardship In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Parties That Should Alleviate Hardship In Nigeria (347 Views)

Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga / Only Few Nigerians Are Complaining Of Going Through Hardship – Femi Adesina / Hardship Hits Buhari ’s Ministers , Aides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Parties That Should Alleviate Hardship In Nigeria by timawoku(m): 4:37pm On May 24, 2016
Nigerian government; through its policies and economic reforms, has plummeted its people to hardship. We are not going to talk about the ingenuity or the positive goals which these economic reforms seek to achieve, rather we will to shed light upon the hardship and why it will linger due to the actions or (largely) inactions of different parties in the country. These parties are not limited to:
1) Religious institutions: the religious institution in Nigeria is largely not people sensitive, all their functions tend towards expansion and growth. Our religious institutions are being ran just like business outfits; profit oriented. Sadly, some churches go to the extent of declaring their financial statement for fiscal years. I feel sad to tell you that our religious institutions have failed us. Ordinarily many economist believes in the reform of this present government, many have argued that there is a chunk of money in the economy but not circulating largely (but not limited to) due to church activities, that was why tax for churches has been the bane of debate in every administration of the country. The money expended on building lots of big houses for church activities (for more tithe collection), private jets and cars by a church can easily be channeled to alleviate poverty, or better still, help to alleviate the current hardship Nigerians face. Juxtaposing with Europe, religious institutions help the needy and act as intermediary; collecting from the surplus sector and channelizing to the deficit sector. When I was studying in England I was opportune to be a beneficiary of ‘hare Krishna’, I was fed by them till I graduated, I don’t even believe in their belief. How many churches can do that in Nigeria?
2)Nigerian labor congress: the Labor union has turned a blind eye towards alleviating the plight of the people through self-sustenance programs and other poverty alleviation programs. I wonder the function of the union to the masses aside strike action emanating only from increase in pump price. By now the union should have insurance and investments that can sustain many of its members through this hardship period as well as support the government in helping the poor masses. They can also incite the surplus sector to give to the needy through creation of different financial intermediary channels. But if it is not pump price, then it’s no business of NLC, smh…
3)Banks/Telecommunication: banks and telecommunication companies in Nigeria provide social responsibility in the most awkward way. It is high time they moved from planting trees and sponsoring sports to helping the needy. Banks need to revisit their social responsibility activities and directly help needy people by creating programs that can empower them. They can train them to be IT experts, phone repairers, etc.
4)Education sector: our lecturers and professors have failed us; they have limited their function only to classrooms. This is the time they can be of function to the government as well as to the people, they should come out and sensitize the people on the best way they can survive this hardship. They should also create absorber for the masses through innovative ideas which can help the people survive. This can be done by appealing to stake holders through media, workshop, etc on the different ways which they (stakeholders) can help alleviate hardship in the country. Last time I checked ASUU only goes on strike because of unpaid salaries or for salary increment. Smh.
4)People: the Nigerian people are too dependent on the government and largely not willing to help each other. A friend once told me that if there should be a swap of city of people in London and Ikorodu (for instance) for a year, Ikorodu would turn to haven of delight while London would turn to a slum. We as a people need to emancipate ourselves from our current mental orientation. We are our major problem. Our people need to unite more than ever and lift Nigeria up. Sadly this generation’s youth has been plagued with disturbing mentality; IPOD, Zombie, wailer character is the order of the day. Some are so brilliant in finding fault with the government but never bringing to the table suggestions that might lead us somewhere. If we don’t stand together as a people now then when? Remember we are saving our children’s lives and not just us.
If all these parties can work positively then be rest assure that Nigeria will be great again!
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Saraki Marks Children's Day With Reading Session / EFCC Interrogates 11 INEC Staff Over N120m Bribery Allegations / Poem Appraising Buhari's Government By Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.