Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,885 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Politics Library Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Library Project (745 Views)

Fayose Browsing At College Of Education E-library, Ekiti (Photo) / Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / Obj Rushes 250-bedroom Hotel Instead Of Non-profit Library Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Library Project by RichyBlacK(m): 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2009
This thread is to group the threads in the politics section into groups.

I want suggestions on how to group the threads. For example:

1. By governmental levels: Federal, State, Local Government Areas

2. By topics: Finance, Legal, Elections, Infrastructure, etc.

3. Chronological groups: Jan 2008, Feb 2008, . . . , Aug 2009

I want the brilliant posters here to suggest and recommend a grouping strategy. Thanks.
Re: Politics Library Project by bawomolo(m): 9:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
A specific thread for Biafra related issues.

I would say group them by topics.
Re: Politics Library Project by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Aug 20, 2009
Keep me informed if you're going to do something different.
Re: Politics Library Project by JamesG: 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2009
Separatist proponents – this way those of us who love this country dearly won’t be subjected to vile comments.
Re: Politics Library Project by pcicero(m): 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2009
I suggest something like political economy too.
Re: Politics Library Project by pcicero(m): 9:48pm On Aug 20, 2009
@JamesG
We all love ths country but when things aren't working well with the present arrangement then we should restructure along divides. yes ke tongue
Re: Politics Library Project by blacksta(m): 10:22pm On Aug 20, 2009
bawomolo:

A specific thread for Biafra related issues.

I would say group them by topics.

I disagree - The moment u have a biafra section you will soon find out u will need and 249 tribe specific section
Re: Politics Library Project by bawomolo(m): 10:33pm On Aug 20, 2009
can u at least move the biafra threads to the culture section. they are overwhelming the politics section.
Re: Politics Library Project by SeanT21(f): 3:29am On Aug 21, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This thread is to group the threads in the politics section into groups.

I want suggestions on how to group the threads. For example:

1. By governmental levels: Federal, State, Local Government Areas

2. By topics: Finance, Legal, Elections, Infrastructure, etc.

3. Chronological groups: Jan 2008, Feb 2008, . . . , Aug 2009

I want the brilliant posters here to suggest and recommend a grouping strategy. Thanks.

Good Idea!! wink
Re: Politics Library Project by RichyBlacK(m): 5:54am On Aug 21, 2009
Constructive inputs so far!

Keep them coming!

Thanks! smiley
Re: Politics Library Project by Ibime(m): 9:12am On Aug 21, 2009
I suggest a true application of federalism for the politics section with seperate autonomous components all paying tax to the centre!
Re: Politics Library Project by ikeyman00(m): 9:28am On Aug 21, 2009
seun
Keep me informed if you're going to do something different.

oga moderator

and
Re: Politics Library Project by Beaf: 9:55am On Aug 21, 2009
The only suggestion that can work is chronological grouping.

The politics section is fine as it is, splitting it up is a bad idea. Politics by nature is highly interconnected; this is especially the case in Nigeria, because of the unitary system under which the country is run.
Splitting by state, federal or local politics would only create topics that are orphaned from their essence (relationship to the center). The end result would be a disconnected spaghetti without vibrance. Bad move.
Re: Politics Library Project by Beaf: 10:06am On Aug 21, 2009
bawomolo:

can u at least move the biafra threads to the culture section. they are overwhelming the politics section.
JamesG:

Separatist proponents – this way those of us who love this country dearly won’t be subjected to vile comments.

Wow! Politics is not romance. It requires a strong stomach and needs to be all inclusive. Have you considered that this attitude in the real World is the very thing that drives others to want separation?

How can we "love the country so dearly", but want to banish comments of the dissatisfied to outer Siberia? Proponents of Biafra and separation are part of Nigeria too; thats the real World.
Re: Politics Library Project by KnowAll(m): 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2009
The internet is the last bastion of hope for Biafra hence the avalanche of Biafra thread. I am sure the first lady Turai Yardua will be more than fed up of seeing the glut of Biafra thread created every other day her being an avid internet subscriber.
Re: Politics Library Project by ikeyman00(m): 3:30pm On Aug 21, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@

abeg modeartor

we no want too much browsin oo

leave am as it is

cool
Re: Politics Library Project by RichyBlacK(m): 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2009
Beaf:

The only suggestion that can work is chronological grouping.

The politics section is fine as it is, splitting it up is a bad idea. Politics by nature is highly interconnected; this is especially the case in Nigeria, because of the unitary system under which the country is run.
Splitting by state, federal or local politics would only create topics that are orphaned from their essence (relationship to the center). The end result would be a disconnected spaghetti without vibrance. Bad move.

Interesting view.

But the chronological grouping may be approximate as sometimes posters create threads out of actual chronological order. However, this can be remedied by increasing by using larger time periods like months instead of weeks.

Is there a way of combining the "topics" and "chronological" groupings?
Re: Politics Library Project by RichyBlacK(m): 5:39pm On Aug 21, 2009
SeanT21:

Good Idea!! wink

I too like the topics groupings. But the problem is can we partition all the threads into a manageable number of topics, say ten? How do we deal with possible intersections of these subgroups?

Let me take a stab at it:

1. Personalities: Any and all news focused on a specific political personality, e.g.,Okonjo-Iweala, Obasanjo, Hilary Clinton, Saraki, etc.

2. Education politics: News related to education, e.g. UME statistics, ASUU strike, etc.

3. Elections: All things elections.

4. Health politics: Policies and issues related to health, e.g., swine flu, polio, etc.

5. Financial politics: Policies related to the financial sector, e.g., the recent removal of some bank CEOs, Nigeria's debt, etc.

6. Jurisprudence/Legal Matters: All news related to specific legal/constitutional issues, e.g. Sharia law, supreme court decisions, major high court rulings, etc.

Please feel free to suggest others, thanks!
Re: Politics Library Project by Delivar(m): 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2009
ca
Re: Politics Library Project by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 21, 2009
The groupings is a bad idea for me. leaving it the way it is will make us have access to more information at a quick glance of a single page more easily than when the topics are distributed under seperate sub-headings. Do we have to browse too many pages before we can obtain all the info about politics? politics is politics whether health politics, education politics, etc. The whole idea will be messed up because it will be very easy for posters to mix up the topics. we need fast and easy access to info. so richyblack, leave it the way it is.
Re: Politics Library Project by nex(m): 11:38pm On Aug 21, 2009
I was about to post a new topic: Nairaland, the Diary of Nigeria.

You don't have a diary segmented into various topics. So chronological it MUST be.
Re: Politics Library Project by blackspade(m): 3:17am On Aug 22, 2009
I agree w/ SeanT21. cool
Re: Politics Library Project by davidif: 4:26am On Aug 22, 2009
the moderators don't do there work, instead of censoring vile comments or divisive topics like tribalism displayed by some people who are still fighting a war that they lost even before they were born they don't do anything. How incredibly incompetent. People who post racist comments or those who attack other people should be banned.

By the way, there should be a feature that allows one to invite other people to this forum but there is none.
Re: Politics Library Project by blackspade(m): 5:21am On Aug 22, 2009
Why should they be banned? If the comments were made in the section they were supposed to be made in (Racism, Tribalism, Sectarianism), why do they deserve a ban?

Censoring people won't solve the problem, they'll just come back under a different name.
Re: Politics Library Project by Nobody: 5:57am On Aug 22, 2009
davidif:

the moderators don't do there work, instead of censoring vile comments or divisive topics like tribalism displayed by some people who are still fighting a war that they lost even before they were born they don't do anything. How incredibly incompetent. People who post racist comments or those who attack other people should be banned.

By the way, there should be a feature that allows one to invite other people to this forum but there is none.

So much for inclusiveness!!!!
Re: Politics Library Project by Sagamite(m): 8:37am On Aug 22, 2009
I think politics needs only 2 sections:

1) Politics

2) Sectarianism/Tribalism/Ethnic views

No post or suggestions about Biafra, Arewa and Benin Republic should be in (1). Let Becomerich, Eziachi, Udezue, dede1, ikeyman001 rot in (2).

Splitting politics will only mean we might miss some posts as I see the Foreign affairs section is quite inactive.

But if you must split (1), then it should be into:

a) Foreign Affairs

b) Government

c) Industry

Just a few categories, not too many.

(2) is a NECESSITY no matter what format you take, so 2-4 sections in total from my angle.
Re: Politics Library Project by Edoji: 11:02am On Aug 22, 2009
Leave it the way it is!
Re: Politics Library Project by naliakar: 7:55pm On Aug 22, 2009
By topic of course. Retain the foreign affairs section as it is.

But let Biafra and Yoruba/Benin charades be topical sections on their own. That way your capacity for control will be greatly enhanced and it would be nice to have the passionate Yoruba and Biafra afficionados speaking in an echo chamber.
Re: Politics Library Project by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 24, 2009
Poster.
Why must you seek the opinion of *brilliant posters* dont u think u're particularly making reference to some peeps? And remember u're a mod too for using such lang.
Think about this. shocked
Re: Politics Library Project by Seun(m): 7:51am On Aug 24, 2009
I'm locking this thread, because I don't see the relevance to our overall goals and objectives.

(1) (Reply)

With Thinking Like The Diasporians, Will Nigeria Or Any State Ever Advance. / Governors Dump Yar-adua! / Nnpc, Lagos Endorse $25bn Refinery, Hydrocarbon Park Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.