Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,564 members, 7,840,336 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (9836 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 10:05pm On Aug 24, 2009
Solomon married thousands wives and concubines, david committed adultery 2 samuel 11:4 and he committed murder, why do the christian ignore this and run to old testament when it feel convenience. Christianity my foot
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2009
Mama chika you can't get away so cheaply, if you claim you are a christian and your religion is christian pls kindly show the world where it was stated that 'CHRISTIAN IS THE RELIGION' and am ready to show you from the Quran where it was stated that ISLAM IS THE TRUE RELIGION' . Your folks will laugh at your post, lmao
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oge4real(f): 10:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
Why do christians own calendars tongue tongue tongue
Some people sef.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 10:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
Why don't you read the op post first. He said It is the practice of the pagan, they innovated it
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Hauwa1: 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
Abu,
i am hungry of Tuwon da miyan yakua or kerikeshi, cry
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by eeguru: 11:14pm On Aug 24, 2009
Who is a Christian? He is one that is a reflection or representative of Christ. In order words, he is the one that follow christ footstep closely both in his way of life and conduct. All Scripture is inspired of God and is beneficial for teaching. (2tim 3:16,17). If so, then content of the bible is enough to provide guidance for our living. hence we dont need to introduce a believe or religious idea that seems right from human standpoint cos such idea is foolishness from God's standpoint (Prov. 16:25). If Birthday is something significant in ones life,then the author of the bible would have ensured that at least christ or one of his true follower's birthday celebration is recorded in the bible. But unfortunately, Christ himself that spent over 30years while on earth did not remember his own birthday. None of his apostles remembered their birthday. Rather the bible made it clear at Proverb that a persons death is even more important than ones birthday.
from the bible standpoint birthday celebration is unscriptural in a christians life. Some are making reference that does it mean that if Christ do not use a car, a christian will not use car. That analogue is wrong. What is the use of car? To convey one from one place to another, didnt christ entered horse for that purpose. So lets use our God give reasonableness and allow the Scripture that mould our life if actually we want to be Christlike.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ciscostaz: 11:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
@Poster

Its only Jehovah Witness guys that ask such questions. Because they do not celebrate Birthdays, naming ceremony etc.

Are you one of them?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by corrall(f): 11:22pm On Aug 24, 2009
@OP, this is a typical Jehovah Witness statement. no celebrations at all, i wonder y they even bother to do a wedding, even at weddings sef, no toast,

Abuzola:

Mama chika,  christian and christianity is not the same, you are a christian and not a christianity, your religion is christianity.  Kindly show me one single christianity in the bible and put me to shame. Am waiting

This is d dumbest thing i have heard in a while, seriously. How could you talk like this. ah ah,
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by chibaby5(f): 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
lol wat a funny question . . . . i cnt shout cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 11:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
Your ogas have tried their best, am still waiting - show me one single christianity in the bible, jesus did not leave any religion to you, says the bible, thats why you are fond of wandering. Ask me to show you Islam as a religion in the Quran i will hurribly do so
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by omoge001: 12:11am On Aug 25, 2009
Truth is very bitter and people prefer to eat and drink and do whatever others do in order to be accepted in this decayed world, meanwhile, the bible says that the world is passing away and so are its desires, but whoever does the will of Jehovah God is the one that'll survive,

The holy writhings(The Bible) made us to know that as it were in the days of noah, people were eating, drinking, men marying and women being given in marriage until the day of God came upon them all, The same thing is happening today, owambe have replaced many upbilding activities in the lives of people, but the truth is that you can be happy without participating in everything just because u're afraid u'll be socially unaccepted or ridiculed, u can stand on your feet for the first time, study the bible by yourself and seek help if there's a part u don't understand

Pause for a while, open your mind and think like a freeman, During his 33 years on earth, how many times did Jesus celebrated his birthday or any of his desciples or apostles? Not even once! Christians are supposed to live a christlike life but people bend or twist the word of God to adapt to their situation.

Live a christlike life, visit www. wachtower.org to learn more about the bible, you'll be glad u did!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by omoge001: 12:21am On Aug 25, 2009
Solomon married thousands wives and concubines, david committed adultery 2 samuel 11:4 and he committed murder, why do the christian ignore this and run to old testament when it feel convenience. Christianity my foot

BLASPHEMY!!!

Thank God for his mercies and for his son that paid the ransom, if it were to be in the past, God's angel could have dealt with you in a way u won't live to remember.

For the god of this system of things i.e satan has blinded the mind of unbelievers so that the good news of the Christ who is made in God's image may not shine through, so says the holy bible, think before u talk
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Morizo(m): 12:32am On Aug 25, 2009
Most girls wld not find this topic funny grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by mamagee6(f): 1:23am On Aug 25, 2009
@poster

Are you okay?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Outstrip(f): 5:27am On Aug 25, 2009
Birthdays are an opportunity to thank God. How can you pull those two verses out of the Bible and then say that that proves that this is means that Birthday celebration is bad. Don't you think that is misleading. Weddings were celebrated in the Bible. The birth's of babies was celebrated, engagements were celebrated and you can go on and on. Please do not mislead people.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 5:28am On Aug 25, 2009
Omoge thank you very much, this is the truth most of them don't want to hear
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by princekevo(m): 5:30am On Aug 25, 2009
omoge 001:

Truth is very bitter and people prefer to eat and drink and do whatever others do in order to be accepted in this decayed world, meanwhile, the bible says that the world is passing away and so are its desires, but whoever does the will of Jehovah God is the one that'll survive,

The holy writhings(The Bible) made us to know that as it were in the days of noah, people were eating, drinking, men marying and women being given in marriage until the day of God came upon them all, The same thing is happening today, owambe have replaced many upbilding activities in the lives of people, but the truth is that you can be happy without participating in everything just because u're afraid u'll be socially unaccepted or ridiculed, u can stand on your feet for the first time, study the bible by yourself and seek help if there's a part u don't understand

Pause for a while, open your mind and think like a freeman, During his 33 years on earth, how many times did Jesus celebrated his birthday or any of his desciples or apostles? Not even once! Christians are supposed to live a christlike life but people bend or twist the word of God to adapt to their situation.

Live a christlike life, visit www. wachtower.org to learn more about the bible, you'll be glad u did!

That Jesus did not celebrate his birthday for 33yrs he spent on earth does not mean that Christan's are not supposed to celebrate their birthday, Maybe becoz Jesus didn't get married even at 33years, so being married or marriage ceremony is evil also,
B4 you start speaking blasphemy against urself you have to define the meaning and purpose of Birthday,
The bible said in everything Give thanks to the most high, So you mean giving thanks to God for adding one year to your life does not worth celebration, Then you must be ungrateful.
Jesus celebrated his triumphant entry, He celebrate his last days on earth, which was the passover feast with his disciples, He attended so many ceremonies and feast which one was the marriage at Galilee,
Celebration is never an evil thing my fren but the purpose to which you are celebrating, Jst as many does today for the purpose of show off.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 5:33am On Aug 25, 2009
Dude, christian = christlike, or are you a pagan ? Mr poster said birthday is the practice of the pagan so why later on christians adopting it and even implying it on jesus, christmas
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by donaremu(m): 5:34am On Aug 25, 2009
@Poster,

Please stop,
Just apply Wisdom.
I celebrate my birthday by giving God the glory that I am alive and I am courting my days so I can apply it onto wisdom.
If you want to preach your Religion (Jehovah Witness) just go straight to the point and stop writing about what you do not understand.
Imagine if Jesus is on earth now, try to figure out where he will be?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 5:40am On Aug 25, 2009
Hmm. So jesus will own a plane, celebrate christmas ? You must be ignorant, who told you jesus didn't know all these yet he abstain
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by princekevo(m): 5:47am On Aug 25, 2009
Abuzola:

Dude, christian = christlike, or are you a pagan ? Mr poster said birthday is the practice of the pagan so why later on christians adopting it and even implying it on jesus, christmas
Please you and the poster should show us in the bible where it was stated that celebrating Birthday is the practice of the pegans?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by jkemzy(m): 7:12am On Aug 25, 2009
Those references (herod and pharoh) are not christians so it cant be a standard for judgement.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by jkemzy(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2009
Those references(Herod and Pharoh) were not christians so they can not be a standard for judgement.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by aniedu: 7:26am On Aug 25, 2009
@ POSTER,
I DONT TO BE TOLD THAT YOU ARE A MEMBER OF JEHOVA'S WITNESS
WHATEVER YOUR PASTOR OR PREACHER OR WHATEVER TEACHES YOU IS PERSONAL
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN CELEBRATING ONE'S BIRTHDAY TO TELL GOD THANK YOU FOR ADDING ANOTHER YEAR TO YOUR AGE.
GO AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU THINK OR CLAIM IN YOUR HOUSE OR YOUR CHURCH DONT BRING IT HERE TO CONFUSE PEOPLE. OKAY
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by freelinks: 7:45am On Aug 25, 2009
well well, i think what the guy that started this post is trying to say is that:

- as christians, we are followers of christ and try following him no matter what, even if not convenient
- Jesus never told his disciples to celebrate his birth, rather his death
- Now of Jesus Disciples Celebrated it, not even the apostles
- It is not a criteria for being a servant of God
- Biblical history shows that only Pagans Celebrated it
- the bible shows that the day of death is better
there is even more and i will show you soon
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by freelinks: 7:55am On Aug 25, 2009
THE celebration of birthdays is regarded by most people today as merely an innocent custom.

But the Bible does not paint a positive picture of this tradition.

For one thing, the Scriptures contain no indication that any of God’s faithful servants celebrated birthdays.

The only two birthdays the Bible does mention were for rulers who were enemies of God. Each celebration included

an execution, so that the guests could gloat over the death of one who had displeased the king. In the first

instance, Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, executed his chief baker. (Genesis 40:2, 3, 20, 22) The Egyptian ruler did so

during the feast because he had grown indignant with his servant. In the second instance, Her

od, the immoral ruler

of Galilee, beheaded John the Baptizer as a favor to a girl whose dancing at the party had pleased him. What

repulsive scenes!—Matthew 14:6-11.

Yet has not the Bible focused on two very exceptional birthdays?

Not really. The ancient Jewish historian Josephus reveals that these incidents were not unique. He records other

instances of the practice of birthday executions for entertainment.

For example, some occurred after Jerusalem’s destruction in 70 C.E., when 1,000,000 Jews perished and 97,000

survived to be taken prisoner. En route to Rome, Roman general Titus took his Jewish captives to the nearby

seaport of Caesarea.

Josephus writes:

“While Titus remained at Caesarea, he celebrated his brother Domitian’s birthday with great splendor, putting over

2,500 prisoners to death in games with beasts and flames. After this he moved to Berytus [Beirut], a Roman colony

in Phoenicia, where he celebrated his father’s birthday by killing many more captives at elaborate exhibitions.”—The

Jewish War, VII, 37, translated by Paul L. Maier in Josephus: The Essential Writings.

It is no wonder that The Imperial Bible-Dictionary comments: “The later Hebrews looked on the celebration of birth-

days as a part of idolatrous worship, a view which would be abundantly confirmed by what they saw of the common

observances associated with these days.”

SO THINK ABOUT THAT
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by timmy7(m): 8:02am On Aug 25, 2009
Abuduzola shuld i be suprised u r as daft as mohammad No? Can u tell me if islam/islamic av any similitude because u seem to lack simple knowledge of parts of speech and am nt suprised abt that since u spend quality time on nl instead of reading ur books olodo grin
@omoge, it is christian sect like urs that brings controversy into d body of christ when u take a scripture and form a doctrine out of it neglecting d fundamentals of xtian teaching,all i see watchtower org does is aggressive church advert all u pple do is to win pple to ur church claiming to be d only group doing d right thing and stylishly give out publications that u will eventually get some money 4. I believe u know where d basis of jw belief come from, in isaiah talking abt 'u r jehovah's witness, ' Just lyk d seven days formed their doctrine around sabath, may God help us.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by cloud7: 8:16am On Aug 25, 2009
I am sure that Youngaman that posted this Topic is a Jehovah Witness and rather inspired by their Teachings.
My question is what is the Punishment for those that celebrates Birthday in the Bible!!
That Topic is a sublte and indirect way of Insulting people's Human Right!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by pek(m): 8:23am On Aug 25, 2009
i will always celebrate my birthday because its the Lord`s doing and it is marvelous in my eyes.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by JPot: 8:28am On Aug 25, 2009
I laugh at all of your ramblings.

Almost all of the apostles made note of how Jesus came on the earth, and how he was born. We even read that the wise men came and gave PRESENTS to Jesus. They celebrated His birthday.

So why is it wrong to celebrate birthdays? Personally I don't know why. I think it is a good occasion to come together with friends and family to be happy about life, sing hymns to God, pray to God, and enjoy life like God made life to be enjoyed. God didn't say THOU SHALT NOT ENJOY LIFE. THOU SHALT NOT CELEBRATE. He made exceptions and listed out sins that shouldn't be committed when "enjoying life", but He never said it was wrong. Neither should we.

Think about it.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by huxley(m): 8:33am On Aug 25, 2009
JPot:

I laugh at all of your ramblings.

All of the apostles made note of how Jesus came on the earth, and how he was born. We even read that the wise men came and gave PRESENTS to Jesus on his day of birth. They celebrated His birthday.

So why is it wrong to celebrate birthdays? Personally I don't know why. I think it is a good occasion to come together with friends and family to be happy about life, sing hymns to God, pray to God, and enjoy life like God made life to be enjoyed. God didn't say THOU SHALT NOT ENJOY LIFE. THOU SHALT NOT CELEBRATE. He made exceptions and listed out sins that shouldn't be committed when "enjoying life", but He never said it was wrong. Neither should we.

Think about it.

I don't think so. I think only Matthew and Luke record the Jesus birth narrative. None of the others even so much as mentioned it, but I would like to be corrected if I am wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does Bill Gates, Richard Branson And Oprah Winfrey Pay Tithes? / Choristers Please Help With Lyrics / What If My Mother Is Really A Witch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.