Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,545 members, 7,840,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (9835 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by JPot: 8:45am On Aug 25, 2009
Excuse me, Yes Mark didn't make any notice of Jesus birth. John did make notice of it, however in the spiritual realm of Jesus originating from God's Word.

I'll go correct my post now. TY huxley. grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Obotte(m): 9:11am On Aug 25, 2009
@Those references (herod and pharoh) are not christians so it cant be a standard for judgement. SO WHOSE STANDARD SHOULD WE USE SINCE NO WORSHIPER OF GOD CELEBRATED.

@ Freelink. THANKS FOR THAT NICE RESEARCH WORK. ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH IS NOT AN EASY THING TO ACCEPT OF GET.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE ONE. LETS DON'T TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by timmy7(m): 9:17am On Aug 25, 2009
Na wa o,because some pple killed on their birthday celebration it makes noting one's birthday bad Did i kill anybody when thanking God 4 anoda yr And will God punish me 4 celebrating my birthday because herod and pharaoh killed on ONE occassion of their birthday grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sleek29(m): 9:19am On Aug 25, 2009
it starts from the inside, anyone who celebrates a birthday without faith is committing a sin romans 14:23 for whatever is not from faith is sin
Hebrews 11:6, for without faith it is impossible to please God, if any man does anything at all without having faith in God clearly doesn't believe in God and so all is celebrations is vanity, celebrating birthdays isn't sin, one man can celebrate and please God and the other can displease God, it all starts from within,

celebrate to give thanks, it shows God how much we value what He gave us, but do it in Spirit and in Truth
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by steaming(f): 9:21am On Aug 25, 2009
@ poster, where u dey now?

In ur heart of hearts, ask ur self, if gettin loved ones together to rejoice and fank God with u for the life he's given u is a sin.

i know u r a Jehova witness, cos my cousin says the same fin too!

Do not do fins in excess, live a balanced life, dats y God gave us wisdom, "rejoice and again i say unto u rejoice", "for a merry heart doeth good like medicine"

b happy at every point in time u can grab happiness, life is too short!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Positivity(m): 9:26am On Aug 25, 2009
@Oyinda
there actually some people who think that way. they don't watch tvs, listen to certain music genres, don't wear pants, use electricity etc because people in the bible didn't do so.
i think they call them amish people. the nigerian version are the deeper life (i don't think they celebrate birthdays either)

but who am i to judge. . .

Lol, 'don't wear pants', Oyinda, don't tell me that' a Christianity doctrine as well ooooooooooo
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by freelinks: 9:47am On Aug 25, 2009
DON'T GET ME WRONG, IF I DECIDE NOT TO CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY BASED ON THE EARLIER PREMISE I PASTED, HOPE YOU DONT JUDGE ME SINCE THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL PREMISE FOR THAT.
MANY PEOPLE, I MEAN MOST CHRISTIANS DO THINGS WITHOUT KNOWING THE ORIGIN. THEY SAY,

MY PASTOR SAYSS,

SOMEWHERE IN THE BIBLE SAYS,
THE HOLY SPIRIT SAYS,

SOME SAID JESUS BIRTH WAS CELEBRATED BY GIVING OF GIFTS?

As astrologers, they were servants of false gods and were, wittingly or unwittingly, led by what appeared to them as a moving “star.” They alerted Herod to the fact that the “king of the Jews” had been born, and Herod, in turn, sought to have Jesus killed. The plot, however, failed. GOD intervened and proved superior to the demon gods of the astrologers, so instead of returning to Herod, the astrologers headed home another way after being given “divine warning in a dream.”—Mt 2:2, 12.

ECCL 11:9 SAYS: Rejoice, young man, in your youth, and let your heart do you good in the days of your young manhood, and walk in the ways of your heart and in the things seen by your eyes. But know that on account of all these the [true] God will bring you into judgment
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ttalks(m): 9:54am On Aug 25, 2009
JPot:

I laugh at all of your ramblings.

Almost all of the apostles made note of how Jesus came on the earth, and how he was born. We even read that the wise men came and gave PRESENTS to Jesus on his day of birth. They celebrated His birthday.

So why is it wrong to celebrate birthdays? Personally I don't know why. I think it is a good occasion to come together with friends and family to be happy about life, sing hymns to God, pray to God, and enjoy life like God made life to be enjoyed. God didn't say THOU SHALT NOT ENJOY LIFE. THOU SHALT NOT CELEBRATE. He made exceptions and listed out sins that shouldn't be committed when "enjoying life", but He never said it was wrong. Neither should we.

Think about it.

If we really check out the story of Jesus' birth, the wise men were not numbered at all and also,they didn't come on the day of Jesus's birth but some time(maybe some days, a year or two)after. Just thought I should point that out.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:56am On Aug 25, 2009
Lmao truth bitter o. See stages of madness. Unbelieveable
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by JPot: 9:58am On Aug 25, 2009
As astrologers, they were servants of false gods and were, wittingly or unwittingly, led by what appeared to them as a moving “star.” They alerted Herod to the fact that the “king of the Jews” had been born, and Herod, in turn, sought to have Jesus killed. The plot, however, failed. GOD intervened and proved superior to the demon gods of the astrologers, so instead of returning to Herod, the astrologers headed home another way after being given “divine warning in a dream.”—Mt 2:2, 12.

And as pagan God forsaken astrologers they were smart enough to give gifts to Jesus that corresponded to his eventual death on the cross. They were so pagan and God forsaken that God intervened and spoke to them in a dream. They were so God damned evil that they worshiped the only Son Jesus Christ.

Satan and his henchmen don't worship Christ. No questions asked.

And yea, I knew that there weren't three of them and that they came a year late. The point is that there is nothing wrong with giving presents, or celebrating. Jesus celebrated all the time, and utilized those opportunities to preach to laymen.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by freelinks: 10:07am On Aug 25, 2009
THIS IS REALLY A WONDEFUL THREAD, HOPE THINGS LIKE THIS COMES UP LATER

THE FACTS ARE CLEAR ABEG

THE POINT HAS BEEN MADE

NO ONE IS COMMANDING ANYONE HERE, JUST MAKING THE TRUTH CLEAR PEOPLE

JUST WONDERING WHY SOME MAKE IT A BIG ISSUE IF YOU HERE A FRIEND SAY

"I DONT CELEBRATE BIRTHDAY, ITS NOT SCRIPTURAL"
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ttalks(m): 10:08am On Aug 25, 2009
JPot:

And yea, I knew that there weren't three of them and that they came a year late. The point is that there is nothing wrong with giving presents, or celebrating. Jesus celebrated all the time, and utilized those opportunities to preach to laymen.

@JPot, I'm not against birthday celebrations.
People who make a deal out of them have a lot of time on their hands.
I was just pointing out something because ur earlier comment seemed to indicate that the wise men were there on the day of Jesus's birth.

JPot:

I laugh at all of your ramblings.

Almost all of the apostles made note of how Jesus came on the earth, and how he was born. We even read that the wise men came and gave PRESENTS to Jesus on his day of birth. They celebrated His birthday.

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by JPot: 10:13am On Aug 25, 2009
Incase you're wondering it's 2:00am over here. A time when you make mistakes and get very irritable. Sry about that. wink

No harsh feelings, right?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 10:21am On Aug 25, 2009
@Freelink, yeah, but they don't want to embrace the truth
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by freelinks: 10:24am On Aug 25, 2009
@ abuzor
thanks jare,
more pressing things to attend to, take kia
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by rasputinn(m): 10:27am On Aug 25, 2009
@ OP

Your opening post is so misleadingly leading that it begs the question
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by saintneo(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2009
@poster

I'm a Christian; I celebrate my birthdays when I have got the chips. I neither kill nor behead people on my birthday.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by enet1(m): 10:58am On Aug 25, 2009
i dont think there is anything wrong in a girl giving a guy gifts because it only shows that the girl luvs and cares 4 d guy but d guy shouldnt use dt to be xploiting d lady.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by enet1(m): 11:02am On Aug 25, 2009
god told us in d book of psalms to countour days and apply our hearts to wisdom,so dt is saying we should mark our birthday.i dont see anything wrong in celebrating a birthday,if only d motive is right,according to what nezan said.i agree with him totally.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by darqly(m): 11:26am On Aug 25, 2009
@ Abuzola and your pseudonym freelinks- That you have an opinion doesn't mean its a FACT. Why do you feel the need to force your beliefs down EVERYONE's throat? Why do christians celebrate their birthdays? the question should have been why do PEOPLE celebrate their birthdays because the last time i checked PAGANS, MUSLIMS, JEWS, CHRISTIANS, ATHEISTS, THE WHOLE SHEBANG celebrate their birthdays angry

Lest I forget, aren't you in your period of fast? Don't be expending your meagre energy levels online.

Bi Salaam grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oludashmi(f): 11:37am On Aug 25, 2009
@ Abuzola,

Which school did you attend and who were your teachers especially your English teacher (if you ever attended one)? All your replies are not annoying but irritating.

How can you say Christianity is different from Christian?

Dude, christian = christlike, or are you a pagan ? Mr poster said birthday is the practice of the pagan so why later on christians adopting it and even implying it on jesus, christmas
Also, from your statement in quote above, it shows you are just "Mr Poster's" follower, you dont know what you are typing at all.

Secondly, do you celebrate your birthday? If yes, why or did Mohammed said you 'Abozola' should celebrate his birthday?

darqly:

@ Abuzola and your pseudonym freelinks- That you have an opinion doesn't mean its a FACT. Why do you feel the need to force your beliefs down EVERYONE's throat? Why do christians celebrate their birthdays? the question should have been why do PEOPLE celebrate their birthdays because the last time i checked PAGANS, MUSLIMS, JEWS, CHRISTIANS, ATHEISTS, THE WHOLE SHEBANG celebrate their birthdays angry

Lest I forget, aren't you in your period of fast? Don't be expending your meagre energy levels online.

Bi Salaam grin

Dont mind the guy and his master 'the poster'.

What meagre energy does he have? Is he even fasting at all and if he is, is he missing more than lunch?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by eluke: 11:53am On Aug 25, 2009
Christians celebrate birthdays to glorify God and than god for keeping them safe and sound throught the year. Christians celebrate birthdays to appreciate God for giving them the opportunity to see another year. Just because birthday events recorded in the Bible had bad reports dosen't mean I cannot celebrate my own birthday. The question is - What is the meaning of birthday?. A birthday, as the term implies, is the anniversary of the particular day on which a person was born. The day Jesus was born, what happened according to the reports in the Bible. The Heavens opened and the Angels glorify God that our saviour has been born. He was later given gifts by the 3 wise men or call them whatever you want. . There is nothing wrong in celebrating your birthday as long as you used it to remember your creator and glorify God Almighty. Period!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hahaha. See me see people want to devour me simply for telling the truth. Muhammad never said we should celebrate his birthday, those celebrating it are herectic like you.

Please check your dictionary the differences between christian and christianity before taking up with me else you will be humiliating yourself just like now. To do me and others a favour kindly show us in the bible where Paul said christianity or christian is a religion. Am waiting . If you cam't then save your stories to yourself
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by JPot: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2009
Christianity isn't a religion! cheesy

I feel so free! cheesy

It doesn't bind me! smiley

It sets me free! kiss

Christ is my life, not my religion! grin

Christianity is a lifestyle! What we do to prove we love Christ. smiley
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by PDF: 12:43pm On Aug 25, 2009
The earlier posts (1st n 2nd pages) of the thread have answered every stupidity.

1. Stupid question: Did Jesus ask us to celebrate?
   Good response: Did Jesus command us NOT to celebrate??

2. As for Pharoah, that was not his first year on the throne, nor his first birthday to be celebrated, i imagine.

3. The two birthday accounts narrated (Pharoah n Herod) had significant aftermaths. Hence, the mention of them. (How Joseph got out of prison, n how John the Baptist died) Gen 40:1-23 n Matt 14:3-11

4. Between the time Pharoah celebrated his birthday n the time Herod celebrated his after Jesus' birth, does it mean that NO ONE celebrated their birthdays during the silent period Kings celebrate at every opportunity given, birthdays or wuteva

5. When Jesus gave any parable, it would follow, the moral of the lesson. Now, since none was particularly stated in the two events of birthday celeberations involving Herod n Pharoah, what do u, in ur honest opinion think it was?

Pls think!!!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2009
So what is ur religion or are an atheist ?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ayobase(m): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2009
thank u Eluke!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by darqly(m): 3:12pm On Aug 25, 2009
Abuz,you're either running a deficit educationally or the hunger is getting to you.If people who celebrate birthdays are heretics,welcome to the club.Because i know you must have had ur share of birthday parties before you became brainwashed.De Owambe that u people do nko?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
darqly:

Abuz,you're either running a deficit educationally [b]or the hunger is getting to you.[/b]If people who celebrate birthdays are heretics,welcome to the club.Because i know you must have had your share of birthday parties before you became brainwashed.De Owambe that u people do nko?

Lol. grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by chigonye: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2009
@ Abuzola - Christainity is not a religion, it is more than that, Christainity is a lifestyle, the very life of GOD HIMSELF imparted in human, 1Peter 1:23; John 1:1-13
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Se7nSwords: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2009
Truth is, if anyone of you spent a little time just to find out the basis and origins of most of what obtains in present day christianity, yu'll be shocked. Birthdays are the least of your worries, but to many of us,we are too busy to search beyond the obvious but just willing to accept what was passed on to us by our parents and pastors. To many of us, we are just content with being ignorant and that is very, very sad.

My advice is simple: always do adequate research before making comments on sensitive issues or else you sound like an ignorant fool.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Elgaxton(m): 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2009
When ur bday reach make u no celeb am u hia?

Na today nyase dey back?

Abegi jo,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The True And Real "Ark Of Covenant In Africa" / Does Bill Gates, Richard Branson And Oprah Winfrey Pay Tithes? / Choristers Please Help With Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.