Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,598 members, 7,851,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:24 PM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (9860 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ladygaga(f): 9:42am On Aug 28, 2009
, and maybe we 'all' should stop elections too, and stop everythng and anythng civil,
paganisn=birthdays?!
i wonder why the 3wise men went to visit jesus when he was born, with 3 GIFTS
, or just maybe cos they were ''WISE'',
May God keep givin me wisdom and common sense,.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by manny4life(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
segan:

Christainity means being christ-like, Jesus christ and his disciples did not celebrate birthday, yes for sure no records in the bible that they did,
is not the matter of JW stuffs is factual, so if you say u are a chrsitain then follow the christ and do what he did when he was on earth,
if u clain to be a christain and do contracy you are u fooling yourself,
IF you like it or not Birthday is a pagan celebration call is what u like,
ace
thaz all folks,
let those who can hear do,
if you dont buy the notion take a walk and dont abuse anybody,
nairaland i saluta all of u guys, miss nija,

That is what you think because you interpreted the bible that way and like you said you can call it what u like it's no pagan practice period.

Shouldn't people be ashamed of themselves criticizing birthday as pagan practice, yet they engage themselves in one way or another with supposed pagan practices. Since people want to be an exemplary Christ- like, for a start how about supposed people back off from using the internet, or a computer for a start; most computer makers are not operating the Christ like way. Turn down your job offers because your employers are corrupt, after all the bible said give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and God what belongs to God
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by jonakinwa: 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2009
the fact is that while not judging any1 for what he/she does. We should find out if what we do has any precedent from the Scriptures. Is there any God's servant who celebrated his/her birthdays in the Bible? Jesus lived more than 30years on earth and there is no record of him celebrating his birthday not once during those period. The fact is that if he want us to he would have demonstrated this as he did of his death, therefore in my own opinion birthday celebration is not scriptural.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by manny4life(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2009
jonakinwa:

the fact is that while not judging any1 for what he/she does. We should find out if what we do has any precedent from the Scriptures. Is there any God's servant who celebrated his/her birthdays in the Bible? Jesus lived more than 30years on earth and there is no record of him celebrating his birthday not once during those period. The fact is that if he want us to he would have demonstrated this as he did of his death, therefore in my own opinion birthday celebration is not scriptural.

So what is your point? I would assume that since it's not scriptural, therefore it's pagan. If that is your point, I would bet that there are so many thing that Christ never demonstrated in the bible or instructed you to do, yet you do.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by africhika(f): 8:43pm On Aug 28, 2009
hello everyone! i just joined and found this topic interesting. honestly speaking, everything in life is not in the Bible. God gave us a brain and a spirit of discernment to make decisions. there is nothing inherently sinful with celebrating the anniversary of the day you were born. i don't think God gets angry seeing someone celebrate it either. God has other things to worry about.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 29, 2009
Birthday keeping is not from God. It encourages pride and self worship. What happened to humility? You are the same people that says God gives and God kills, so you are celebrating that you havent being killed yet, stupid.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Rebarobyn: 12:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
so all these people saying celebrating birthdays are unscriptural have never attended any celebration before whether wedding reception, child dedication after party, get-togethers, picnics?? abeg you guys should just stop this attempt at self-righteousness, not everything we do as Christians is written in the bible and the same bible says that "let he who eats not judge those who do not", the fact that you do not do something and others do it does not mean you are the saint and they are sinners, if your heart does not feel right with it then don't do it but don't impose your ideology on those who are not convinced that it is wrong.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by mendax: 2:01pm On Aug 29, 2009
so you are celebrating that you havent being killed yet, stupid.

OR mayb u should b SOBER dat u ar one more year closer to the grave! cry
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2009
Birthday is not scriptural if u like it or not, during jesus period on earth birthday was celebrated by pagans,
if anyone can tell me any person in the bible that was jesus christ disciples or any body that was going what the right in God eyes,like abraham,job,lot .e.t.c that celebrated birthday, then this forum should be close with that answer then it will be logical and scriptural to celabrate birthday, dont forget the day of accountabily will come, what will u say, where did u get that birthday notion from? From who in the bible?all pagans where the genesis of birthday, so take it of leave it,
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by beewhyfocs(m): 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2009
@ Poster

I hope you are not trying to justify your personal belief and beef against christain. Those cases you mentioned might be the first recorded experiences in the bible but not necessarily the only one.

What makes a pagant event is not the events but the object of worship. If you direct your birthday at worshipping and thanking God, how then is it  Pagan?  The bible says; "teach us to number our days that we might apply our heart to wisdom", Psalm 90:12.

The essence of the birthday is to appreciate the gift of life and re-examine your progress and purpose!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by beewhyfocs(m): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2009
segan:

Birthday is not scriptural if u like it or not, during jesus period on earth birthday was celebrated by pagans,
if anyone can tell me any person in the bible that was jesus christ disciples or any body that was going what the right in God eyes,like abraham,job,lot .e.t.c that celebrated birthday, then this forum should be close with that answer then it will be logical and scriptural to celabrate birthday, dont forget the day of accountabily will come, what will u say, where did u get that birthday notion from? From who in the bible?all pagans where the genesis of birthday, so take it of leave it,

@ Segan

Apart from all those cases cited by the poster, tell me other pagan people who celebrated birthday? As much as God himself did not out rightly warn us in the bible that it is paganistic, why should you twist the bible to suit your religious sect?

God warned the Isrealites not to offer their child to Molech or other Idol exclusively and dint tell them about birthdays. I feel there was no emphasis on that at all in the bible, as these are lesser compared to the weightier matters of the Kingdom!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by africhika(f): 4:16pm On Aug 29, 2009
wow. what is wrong with waking up every morning and saying, "God it is by YOUR grace that I am alive" ??
what is wrong with marking one year and saying, "God it is by YOUR grace that I have seen another year" ??

honestly, why do christians keep trying to paint God as a mean fire breathing dragon!!!??  embarassed
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by manny4life(m): 4:27pm On Aug 29, 2009
I left with no doubt that people here who criticize birthdays have no damn clue what pagan practise is and they try to argue what they dont know, that right there is a damn shame. @ Beewhyfocs, thank you for distinguishing the differences between the two. Just because Idol worshiper drinks alchohol and offer it to their gods, necessarily does not define drinking alcohol beverage as a sin.
segan:

Birthday is not scriptural if u like it or not, during jesus period on earth[b] birthday was celebrated by pagans, [/b]

I will keep saying it again, anyone (self righteous people) that claims they want to live righteously,  I bet that half of the things they do today was not quoted in the bible neither was it demonstrated by Jesus Christ, in that sense would it still be paganistic? I believe everyone should stick with their beliefs, if you are convinced in your heart about not doing something, then don't do
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by beewhyfocs(m): 4:33pm On Aug 29, 2009
manny4life:

I left with no doubt that people here who criticize birthdays have no damn clue what pagan practise is and they try to argue what they dont know, that right there is a damn shame. @ Beewhyfocs, thank you for distinguishing the differences between the two. Just because Idol worshiper drinks alchohol and offer it to their gods, necessarily does not define drinking alcohol beverage as a sin.
I will keep saying it again, anyone (self righteous people) that claims they want to live righteously, I bet that half of the things they do today was not quoted in the bible neither was it demonstrated by Jesus Christ, in that sense would it still be paganistic? I believe everyone should stick with their beliefs, if you are convinced in your heart about not doing something, then don't do

I quite agree with you. Even Nairaland chat was not supported in the bible yet we do chat!lol

People like to form a doctrine around their self discovered research as practiced by a sect who claims to be christains.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Cruzgee: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2009
My people, I'll like you all to read the book HEAVEN IS SO REAL by Choo Nam Thomas. You will get to meet a woman whom Jesus Himself had taken to heaven 17times while she still lives! that's relationship with God. What am saying is that there is a part of the book where the woman testified to the fact that Jesus celebrates his birthday every year! Read this book yourself and you'll have a better understanding instead of these arguements. God bless you all.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by mamagee3(f): 1:31am On Feb 23, 2010
Poster. . .
Are you Daft!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Lying Deity / How Has God Been Faithful To You In The Last 9 Months / 2-year Old Recites Psalm 23 (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.