Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,598 members, 7,840,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (9839 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2009
darqly:

Abuz,you're either running a deficit educationally[b] or the hunger is getting to you[/b].If people who celebrate birthdays are heretics,welcome to the club.Because i know you must have had your share of birthday parties before you became brainwashed.De Owambe that u people do nko?

That's what it is
They are hungry till dusk then they pig out on tuwo shinkafa grin
By evening he'll be more rational
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by anataala: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2009
HELLO, ALL,

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2009
@last poster. Thank you very much for the hadith, they thought muslims transgress like them, going beyond the scope of Quran and hadith

@osisi, can you see how ur folks refuted ur claim that Christian is christian religion. Lol
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by douxange(f): 9:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
To every true christian, your belief brings you closer to God. Also the way you see him. Do u see Him as a father u can run to n talk to no matter what, one who feels what you feel, a father who smiles with you, laughs with you and loves you inspite of all or do you see God as someone with a perpetual frown on his face and a whip in his hand ready to strike at the slightest provocation to put us in line.
Let God lead you and follow what he has put in your heart. He wants you to be happy so do what makes you happy and glorifies Him all the way.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by eddykayan: 12:07am On Aug 26, 2009
Anybody wey get money fit celebrate his/her birthday, if u no get money u fit go read bible where they behead people head for birthday occasions, I guess it's a better way to tell ur friends u r broke on ur birthday
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by manny4life(m): 3:32am On Aug 26, 2009
@OP
Because God did not command it does not mean that celebrating it is bad, therefore, it's not pagan. If you have money to celebrate your life, then do it, if u don't then I guess. My birthday is next month/labor weekend and I sure hell ain't killing nobody, instead, I'm taking off all week/end off to; Vegas baby Vegas . I don't understand why people twist the bible upside down to suit their belief which is cool, but don't criticize everyone else who disagrees with you. I will tell you get used to it.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Oba234: 4:16am On Aug 26, 2009
na wa o for the poster, I have heard it all on nairaland.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ayobase(m): 10:57am On Aug 26, 2009
Yeah.

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 3:32pm On Aug 26, 2009
This is damn funny.

The bible didn't instruct you to breathe, yet still you do.

Pagans also pray, and probably did before the advent of christianity. Will you then stop?

I haven't seen instruction in the bible or quoran that it's okay to drive a car. Or drink water from the fridge. Or use any form of technology (including the PC). These discoveries were to a large extent made by pagans. Hahaha. The PC is pagan, log off at once. The internet is pagan also

This thread confirms it - religion is BACKWARD.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Rebarobyn: 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2009
Banderas:

This is damn funny.

The bible didn't instruct you to breathe, yet still you do.

Pagans also pray, and probably did before the advent of christianity. Will you then stop?

I haven't seen instruction in the bible or quoran that it's okay to drive a car. Or drink water from the fridge. Or use any form of technology (including the PC). These discoveries were to a large extent made by pagans. Hahaha. The PC is pagan, log off at once. The internet is pagan also

This thread confirms it - religion is BACKWARD.

true talk, funny how people assume everything has to be backed by some scripture. that's what differentiates a fanatic from a normal human, they probe into things so much that they lose the basis of their initial question. The more you look the less you see
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ladygaga(f): 11:05am On Aug 27, 2009
@banderas thankyou, u nailed it
@abuzola, wot ru talkn about, ur not in anyway betta than d poster, u always luk 4anythn to say even when not necessary!, grow up!!its nt by ranting
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
@bandres: Birthday was a kind of culture of the pagan like the op post said and this is the very reason why jesus and the disciples never did it even though it exist at their time, so why will you later christian embraced it. Reason with me
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2009
Fasting is pagan, yet muslims do it.

Marriages are pagan

Sex is pagan.

Again, why are you on the internet?

And Jesus had a reputation (amongst the pharisees) of being someone who went out "partying",
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by muhsin(m): 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2009
Banderas:

Marriages are pagan

Sex is pagan.

And Jesus had a reputation (amongst the pharisees) of being someone who went out "partying",

Funniest reply of the day! grin grin grin

Think before posting, dude.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2009
Funniest reply of the day!

Think before posting, dude.

Really? Strangely you're unable to point out what part of my post is funny.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 12:43pm On Aug 27, 2009
Lol: did i mention civilization to you or civic innovation. Do me a favour and quote or have your research if marriage, fasting etc were innovated by pagans. Am waiting !
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 12:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
Christianity = 200+ years old
Islam = much younger than christianity

marriage = waaaay before the birth of christ.

Simple logic.

Fasting? Budhist writings define and speak about fasting LONG before Saudi Arabia existed.

Druids, Sango worshippers, they all fast.
Did you really think Mohammed invented it?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by muhsin(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2009
LOL grin

Let me retake it:

Not actually pagan. If you other religious followers I will agree with you. And its mentioned in the Qur'an that its too ordained to other God religions by Him before Muhammad, may Allah exalt his mention.

“O ye who believe! Fasting is ordained for you as it was ordained for those before you, so that you may learn self-restraint.” Qur’an 2:183

Marriages are pagan

Everyone marries; not only pagan, man.

Sex is pagan.

As above answer says.

Internet browsing is not religious practice in any way. Cut it off.

Elaborate of that. I'll, inshaAllah, take it.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 12:59pm On Aug 27, 2009
Internet browsing is not religious practice in any way. Cut it off.

Exactly. Birthdays are not religious either. Cut it off.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
You get strong head o, we are admonishing you that Bday is a pagan innovation, or don't you know what is innovation.

During jesus time there was Bday so whatz yo xcuse
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 1:10pm On Aug 27, 2009
Sigh.

Common sense is not common.

I said Marriage is pagan. You said everyone marries.

Using the same logic, everyone celebrates birthdays.

Do you not understand?

During Jesus time there were weddings, and there was sex, just like there were birthdays, what does this have to do with anything?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 1:14pm On Aug 27, 2009
Don't be ridiculous, jesus enjoin marriage and i can prove it to you in ur bible if you are ignorant of ur bible.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by muhsin(m): 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2009
Banderas:

Exactly. Birthdays are not religious either. Cut it off.

Birthdays are associated partly with religious practice, don't you know that?

And b'day predates, with thousand years, internet. Further still, the OP is about b'day.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
Exactly.

Listen here boy, if your religion says you should fast, that doesn't mean it's not a pagan custom, it was innovated by PAGANS. So your religion is now borrowing it from PAGANS.

See, there are lots of things that are done by "pagans" (wtf is a pagan anyway) which are good, which are useful, and which can be used positively.

The bible says "whatsoever things are good, pure and of a good report, think on these things".

Birthdays are good, so we celebrate them.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Banderas(m): 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2009

Birthdays are associated partly with religious practice, don't you know that?

And b'day predates, with thousand years, internet. Further still, the OP is about b'day.

Technology (in yoruba) is associated with Sango and Ogun.

Fasting is also religious practive.

I use these as examples to point out why there is NOTHING wrong with birthdays. If you don't want to celebrate them, then stop. Nobody is forcing you. And mind your own business instead of nosing around and complaining about other people celebrating their own birthdays.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by blesdman(m): 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2009
For one to think that Pharaoh celebrated a birthday and would thus take any one that celebrates a birthday ceremony as being paganic, really has an absurd thinking.
Ok. If celebration of birthdays by pagans makes it paganic then learning the sciences and being educated in the ways of Egypt as done by Moses and even Daniel in the case of Babylon made him a pagan as well. We have to think realistically and in the light of love. SOmetimes I really do think that those who castigate the practices of christians are just being legalistic not reading the spirit behind the letters but the letters only. Have they not heard that meditation brings out the spirit in the letters?All the reasons proffered by those who celebrate birthdays tend towards worship of God in the spirit;faith that he is and he is the one that prolongs life.
I think that these explanations should clarify the issue to an extent.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by darqly(m): 7:04pm On Aug 27, 2009
Banderas, all your deductive reasoning will not and cannot make sense for some on this forum that have a history of being impossibly obstinate. undecided

Simply put, I've not read the quran much, but I CAN SWEAR that muhammed NEVER used the internet. Does that make browsing the WWW a sin or Pagan activity? undecided

And if it does, then why are the mighty holy muslims browsing? This PAGAN and evil and un-quranic ritual.

Abuz and Co, after you do "Bude baki" and glucose helps you think, maybe you'd like to give us an "Intelligent" response for once, I beg of you lot. cheesy

I'm off again, my cousin's birthday was yesterday, I heard she celebrated, yes, she's PAGAN! And I can't wait for my day of hedonism in October grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2009
Birthday is pagan innovation period. Fasting, marriage, eating etc were first done by our first parent Adam and eve who happen to be true believers
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by timmy7(m): 11:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
Tell me abudu,is it mohammad's birthday or deathday muslims celebrate durind Eid mouloud abi na idi malu sef
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 11:33pm On Aug 27, 2009
I told you those who do it are herectic like you miserable cross worshippers
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 28, 2009
Christainity means being christ-like, Jesus christ and his disciples did not celebrate birthday, yes for sure no records in the bible that they did,
is not the matter of JW stuffs is factual, so if you say u are a chrsitain then follow the christ and do what he did when he was on earth,
if u clain to be a christain and do contracy you are u fooling yourself,
IF you like it or not Birthday is a pagan celebration call is what u like,
ace
thaz all folks,
let those who can hear do,
if you dont buy the notion take a walk and dont abuse anybody,
nairaland i saluta all of u guys, miss nija,
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by timmy7(m): 7:55am On Aug 28, 2009
So the FG is heretic for always declaring public holiday for eid moloud celebration abudu, Bloody mohammadin angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What If My Mother Is Really A Witch / Top 15 Quotes By Famous Atheists / What I Learnt In Church Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.