Stats: 3,154,962 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (9810 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by youngies(m): 4:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
chigonye:

First of all u guys must understand there is a difference btwn Christains and Jews! Right now God is no longer dealing with Jews, all He knows & sees now are Christain- You have to get straight!

IGNORANCE is a disease!!

My religion is better than yours embarassed
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Lopezdee1: 4:56pm On Aug 24, 2009
@ comingo
I wonder why you post this topic in the first instance as I can see you are quick to shut down the views of those who do not subscribe to your opinion. The purpose of a forum like this is to allow everybody have their say however unacceptable their views might be instead of trying to whip those with opposing view into line.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by wunmilyn(f): 5:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
@poster
kindly help me to search where it is clearly written in the Bible dat "thou shalt not celebrate thy birthday" shocked shocked
cos i can't find it in mine.

then i wil know dat i av sin against God.

undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by princekevo(m): 5:23pm On Aug 24, 2009
This is the most dumb question and useless reason i have ever heard on Christendom, If ever you are a christain in  the first place,
So,  that people dies of Plane crash makes it evil for christains  to fly, Huh?
Who told you that birthday started from the Pharaoh in the time of Joseph?
Pharaoh is jst a name of the kings in Egypt till date and there have existed many Pharaohs in the land of Egypt even
b4 the Joesph's time in Egypt, Though Bible never gave account of it, but other Pharaohs in the past must have celebrated their birthdays without any blood shed,
So,  that one of the Pharaohs in the history of Egypt hung the chief baker on his birthday or King Herod cutting off the head of John the Baptist does not condemn nor change the purpose of birthday.
Rather bible stated it in the New testament for you not to be carried away by the over merriment on any ceremony not jst birthday,
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:33pm On Aug 24, 2009
Fredique:

Please what is the criteria for topics gracing front page? because I think this topic is out of place on the front page.

Help me ask them oh, this section does not have an active mod.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ndcide(m): 5:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
@COMINGo
readROMANS 14 5 & 6
  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

GUY celebrate and give God thanks.ok?
colossians 2: 16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

i believe if you really want an anser you would get it with out sentiments BUT if u are out to create agument then, u 're on ur own coz
YOU ARE NOT GOD

also if you are really a christian, then this topic should not bother you but how to make heaven at last
and pLZ beweer of those who twist the bible. it is a sign of the last days.People would worry about things that do not really matter in an attempt to disput Gods word or make christianity look weak or a waist of time.
remember God almighty sees and he will judge  every one.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by naylove(m): 5:43pm On Aug 24, 2009
sometimes I wonder why nairalanders bring up certain topics like this particular one.
@ comingo, i tried to imagine what might be going on in ur mind when you thought up this post. then again, i see some very inrtelligent responses particularly from ndcide.
let each man act according to his convictions .which is a function of your understanding of GOD which in itself is somewhat related to how much of communication and revelation you receive from God.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by slimslim: 5:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
@
Quote from: Fredique on Today at 04:39:25 PM
Please what is the criteria for topics gracing front page? because I think this topic is out of place on the front page.
[i][/i]

So people like you can give their comments. Afterall the post was made yesterday and not many responded until now.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by amosexy: 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2009
chigonye:

[s]Right now God is no longer dealing with Jews, all He knows & sees now are Christain- You have to get straight! I'm a Christain and not a Jew!

God is no longer dealing wit the Jews ? shocked
Devil does rite ?
Wake up man !
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by timmy7(m): 6:26pm On Aug 24, 2009
@poster, u can now go and teach ur jw brethren what u have learnt here.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2009
Nezan! Strongly Agree
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by mosopefolu(m): 7:17pm On Aug 24, 2009
THE BIBLE SAYS TEACH US TO NUMBER OUR DAYS THAT WE MAY PUT OUR HEARTS UNTO WISDOM.So ao cld u av ask ds question?wy did u nt ask abt other religions too or is it only xtians that celebrate birthdays?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 8:02pm On Aug 24, 2009
The poster is probably a Jehovah's witness.
That is their doctrine.
Forgetting the weighty things on the scripures and dwelling on frivolities.
Ndcide already gave 2 relevant scriptures .

colossians 2: 16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

The Bible never taught us how to conduct a wedding?
whether to wear a white gown or not?
naming ceremony
how to make amala.

The mark of false doctrine is picking up one verse of scripture and making an epistle out of it neglecting every other scripture.

Finally the other scripture caps it all and also is an answer to those who insist on keeping the sabaath day.
God is not concerned about such trivialities,he is interested in the condition of your heart.

ROMANS 14 5 & 6

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Our God already knew some will want to make a mountain out of a molehill and he gave an answer by the Holy Spirit through Apostle Paul.
If you celebrate birthdays and wedding anniversaries,you are not in error and if you choose not to,you are not in error either.
Let him who hath an ear hear.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by dasarge(m): 8:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
Simply Put, The Poster is a JEHOVAH'S witness. They have their own bible, they drink alcohol like fishes drink water, they believe in herbs and possibly "juju" and i am sorry to chip this in, their young females are promiscous!You dont preach against all these but you hold on to not celebrating bdays, not marking christmas and not giving nor receiving blood from transfusion.

You guys think!!! cry cry cry
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by MrCrackles(m): 8:19pm On Aug 24, 2009
dasarge:

Simply Put, The Poster is a JEHOVAH'S witness. They have their own bible, they drink alcohol like fishes drink water, they believe in herbs and possible "juju" and i am sorry to chip this in, their young females are promiscous!You dont preach against all these but you hold on to not celebrating bdays, not marking christmas and not giving or receiving blood from transfusion.
You guys think!!! cry cry cry
shocked shocked shocked shocked grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:20pm On Aug 24, 2009
Lmao see how truth turn them to =smiley
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Obotte(m): 9:24pm On Aug 24, 2009
There is something about the reply to this topic, my Nairaland brothers and sisters. I notice that most of us are so used to the birthday stuff even from our childhood that a mention of it as being a pagan celebration ignite almost fight. My suggestion is to be calm and notice something about the celebration quoted in the Bible. N[b]O WORSHIPER OF THE TRUE GOD CELEBRATED THEIR BIRTHDAY[/b], prove me wrong if any. ALL THOSE THAT THE BIBLE MENTIONED WERE PAGAN WORSHIPERS NOT HIS SERVANTS. WE HAVE SO MANY WEALTH PEOPLE AND POOR PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE THAT WORSHIPED GOD BUT DONE DID IT. FROM KING DAVID, HIS SON (THE RICHEST MAN ON EARTH) SOLOMON AND LEARNED MEN LIKE PAUL AND DOCTOR MARK, EVEN OUR GREATEST MAN JESUS DID NOT DO IT BUT THEY HAD SO MANY OTHER CELEBRATIONS AND PARTIES THE BIBLE RECORD THEM. THINK WILL YOU JOIN IN PERFORMING A CELEBRATION THAT WAS DONE ONLY MY PAGANS? I KNOW WE ARE LIVING IN A LIBERAL WORLD BUT THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIFE COUNT IN GOD'S SIGHT.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
Obotte:

There is something about the reply to this topic, my Nairaland brothers and sisters. I notice that most of us are so used to the birthday stuff even from our childhood that a mention of it as being a pagan celebration ignite almost fight. My suggestion is to be calm and notice something about the celebration quoted in the Bible. N[b]O WORSHIPER OF THE TRUE GOD CELEBRATED THEIR BIRTHDAY, [i]prove me wrong if any[/[/b]i]. ALL THOSE THAT THE BIBLE MENTIONED WERE PAGAN WORSHIPERS NOT HIS SERVANTS. WE HAVE SO MANY WEALTH PEOPLE AND POOR PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE THAT WORSHIPED GOD BUT DONE DID IT. FROM KING DAVID, HIS SON (THE RICHEST MAN ON EARTH) SOLOMON AND LEARNED MEN LIKE PAUL AND DOCTOR MARK, EVEN OUR GREATEST MAN JESUS DID NOT DO IT BUT THEY HAD SO MANY OTHER CELEBRATIONS AND PARTIES THE BIBLE RECORD THEM. THINK WILL YOU JOIN IN PERFORMING A CELEBRATION THAT WAS DONE ONLY MY PAGANS? I KNOW WE ARE LIVING IN A LIBERAL WORLD BUT THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIFE COUNT IN GOD'S SIGHT.

And no worshipper of the true God ate moin moin
prove me wrong.
None drank fanta,wore a white gown at their wedding and none jumped on an okada
None of them took their wives to a maternity and none drank pure water.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:35pm On Aug 24, 2009
What does food and merryment gotta do with the bible. Why birthday, why christmas ? The Op explained it was an innovation of the pagan to please their god
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
Abuzola:

What does food and merryment gotta do with the bible. Why birthday, why christmas ? The Op explained it was an innovation of the pagan to please their god

this argument is beyond you dear.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
Hey ! Birthday is an innovation of the pagan and you attribute it to jesus i.e christmas. Fear God and fear death. Wallayi you will account every deed you did. Did jesus told you to dance or clap in church or did he do it ? Fear God my fellow christians
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
Obotte:

There is something about the reply to this topic, my Nairaland brothers and sisters. I notice that most of us are so used to the birthday stuff even from our childhood that a mention of it as being a pagan celebration ignite almost fight. My suggestion is to be calm and notice something about the celebration quoted in the Bible. N[b]O WORSHIPER OF THE TRUE GOD CELEBRATED THEIR BIRTHDAY[/b], prove me wrong if any. ALL THOSE THAT THE BIBLE MENTIONED WERE PAGAN WORSHIPERS NOT HIS SERVANTS. WE HAVE SO MANY WEALTH PEOPLE AND POOR PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE THAT WORSHIPED GOD BUT DONE DID IT. FROM KING DAVID, HIS SON (THE RICHEST MAN ON EARTH) SOLOMON AND LEARNED MEN LIKE PAUL AND DOCTOR MARK, EVEN OUR GREATEST MAN JESUS DID NOT DO IT BUT THEY HAD SO MANY OTHER CELEBRATIONS AND PARTIES THE BIBLE RECORD THEM. THINK WILL YOU JOIN IN PERFORMING A CELEBRATION THAT WAS DONE ONLY MY PAGANS? I KNOW WE ARE LIVING IN A LIBERAL WORLD BUT THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIFE COUNT IN GOD'S SIGHT.

If  every celebration that David, Solomon or Paul did was written in the Bible,how big will it be?
Did you bother reading the scripture about reverencing and not reverencing days that I and another poster posted or that passage is not in your JW Bible?
See it again and may the Lord teach you,the letter kills,the Spirit gives life.
Desire the gift of the Spirit my dear.Eating meat or abstaining from meat will not save you.

ROMANS 14 5 & 6

Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2009
Lmao . God even forgot to mention christianity in the bible, abi ? Lol
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
Abuzola:

Hey ! Birthday is an innovation of the pagan and you attribute it to jesus i.e christmas. Fear God and fear death. Wallayi you will account every deed you did. Did jesus told you to dance or clap in church or did he do it ? Fear God my fellow christians

2 Samuel 6 :14

David, wearing a linen ephod, [size=24pt]danced before the Lord with all his might[/size], 15while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.

[size=16pt]Halleluia!!!!![/size]
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Obotte(m): 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
@And no worshipper of the true God ate moin moin
prove me wrong.
None drank fanta,wore a white gown at their wedding and none jumped on an okada
None of them took their wives to a maternity and none drank pure water.

THE ISSUE IS NOT A FRIVOLOUS ONE AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT. WHAT YOU LIST ARE JUST MODERN DAY ACTIVITIES. BIRTHDAY IS NOT A MODERN DAY CELEBRATION. GOD IS MUCH CONCERN ABOUT ORIGIN OF CELEBRATIONS.

LET ME GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE; ON LEAVING EGYPT THE FIRST IDOLATRY THE ISRAELITE PERFORM WAS CALF WORSHIP -EX32:1-8, 18,19, BUT THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT  THIS WORSHIP THAT YOU CAN BORROW TO HELP YOU KNOW THAT GOD IS MUCH CONCERN ABOUT THE ROOT OF A CELEBRATION. AT EX 32:5, AARON CALLED THE ISRAELITE THAT THERE IS A "FESTIVAL TO THE LORD". GIVING CALF WORSHIP A NEW NAME, "FESTIVAL OF THE LORD OR TO THE LORD". BUT GOD WAS STILL ANGRY WITH THEM. SO THAT IS HOW SERIOUS GOD TAKES CELEBRATION THAT HAS PAGAN ORIGIN. BIRTHDAY OR ANY OTHER EVEN IF YOU CHANGE THE NAME OF MODERNIZE IT THE PAGAN ROOT IS STILL THERE.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
If you do not want to celebrate your birthday, you have every right not to, but do not hinder others. In fact roll yourself in charcoal to remove all traces of merriment and mourn all day long.

ROMANS 14 5 & 6

Thanks for this verse.
Abuzola:

Hey ! Birthday is an innovation of the pagan and you attribute it to jesus i.e christmas. Fear God and fear death. Wallayi you will account every deed you did.  Did jesus told you to dance or clap in church or did he do it ? Fear God my fellow christians

Pele, our God said we can call him Father. A lot of psalms talk about praising God with our voices, hands, feet and instruments. If you cannot dance to your God, who does Abuzola dance to? Or Abuzola doesn't dance at all?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:51pm On Aug 24, 2009
Abuzola:

Lmao . God even forgot to mention christianity in the bible, abi ? Lol

And it came about that for an entire year they met with the church, and taught considerable numbers; [size=24pt]and the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.[/size]" (Acts 11:23-26

[size=24pt]Glory!!![/size]
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
where is that abuzola dunce?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
Mama chika, christian and christianity is not the same, you are a christian and not a christianity, your religion is christianity. Kindly show me one single christianity in the bible and put me to shame. Am waiting
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2009
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, English language is now a problem. cheesy
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 10:03pm On Aug 24, 2009
Abuzola:

Mama chika, christian and christianity is not the same, you are a christian and not a christianity, your religion is christianity. Kindly show me one single christianity in the bible and put me to shame. Am waiting

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yepaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Osanobuaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Chinekeeeeeeeeee
Oludumareeeeeeeeee
Olurun eeeeeeeeee
Kabiyesiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Ogheneeeeeeeeeeee
Tamunooooooooo
Ubangi jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

ha ha ha ha ha
hohoho ho ho
I no fit laugh oooooooooo

make I call allah sef
allhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Mohammed leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
abuzola don kill persin for hia
Abasiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by sosisi(f): 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
stillwater:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, English language is now a problem. cheesy

I wish I could laugh in Mohammedanism
Chineke God
I thought I'd heard it all
OK abuz,I'm a Christian and my religion is Christian
are you happy now?

How Has God Been Faithful To You In The Last 9 Months / The True And Real "Ark Of Covenant In Africa" / Christians: Does God's Word Allow Divorce or Not?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57