Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,389 members, 7,822,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone (53079 Views)

Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. / Backup & Restore KIK Chats From Iphone / Ipad / Ipod Touch / How Can I Download Two Kik On My Fone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by klbakare(m): 11:10pm On May 30, 2016
oliidell:
Sorry man. Next time, man up and explain yourself without fear. No crying, no begging.

Btw I had trouble flowing with ur write-up. Okay, maybe u were typing wit the handcuffs on.

U dey madt walahi, u re one crazy modafoka ***winks***

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:10pm On May 30, 2016
uptimum123:

Lol true talk..it's even illegal for any police officer to go through one's phone,d police wey go try am with me go hear am

Apart from that sef, my papa never go through my phone, e come be one idiot in mufti in the name of Police.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 30, 2016
Those sarz don turn life unbearable in omu aran!
Maybe na me go later clip thier wings
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:14pm On May 30, 2016
MrMcJay:

Mister, no policeman has a right to check your phone without a valid warrant. Once you tell a Policeman this, he'll know that you are bad market for him and he'll let you go. Ordinary twitter fit comot cloth for him body.

If you decide to let them ride you, Na you sabi

This is what people don't know!
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by phemolala07(m): 11:14pm On May 30, 2016
I sabi dat area wella I serve for dat place....game boy na yahoo boy....sorry bro
SARS yapa for dat place gan dem don stop me b4 dey ask me where I put dat codeine I was like WTF

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by ybalogs(m): 11:15pm On May 30, 2016
Tundeiab:
Hmmm

That's the new change we are experiencing o.

Human rights are no longer respected!!!

They have a mentor in Buhari.
Nah today, police has been showing their irresponsible self since I can't remember sef. Why must some of you guys drag Buhari into every bad things? Shows ilesanmi dunju one lo niyen oooo(It's better to be just home than seek for posts).

4 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by ybalogs(m): 11:17pm On May 30, 2016
Samtoby:
Like an hour ago, I was at the back sit of SARS vehicle with handcuffs in my hands. They said am a Yahoo boy for having a kik application on my smartphone.

I was traveling from Omu Aran to ilorin, I pressed up, wearing my blue Jean, T shirt, my newly bought African shaped neck chain and All stars sneakers. So the journey began and we passed the first police check point and few minutes after continuing the journey, we got to SARS people (at a junction in about entering Oke Onigbin town) and we were told to come down (all boys), I first feel scared but also I have nothing to be scared off cause I have the receipt for all my gadget with me, so I keep calm and answer his question perfectly. He check my pocket and found my two phones (Lumia 535 and Infinix Note 2), he check my bags and found my belongings (books, wires and my laptops), he asked if I have the receipt and I answered yes. Then he said I should unlock my phone (Note 2), I did and he start checking then he saw a social media app (KIK) on my phone, he asked if am a "game boy" and I said yes, all my mind was he is asking about video games because I have up to 20 games on my phone. He check other guys then told me to follow him, I did and he said "it's good that I don't lie", he asked my school and my name and I told him. Then from no where he said am a "Yahoo boy", the soul in me seems to left my body that moment, I realise am in big soup and I start swearing on everything that comes to my mouth. I deny his allegations then he start frowning and threat to destroy my career in school and that I will go to jail if I didn't confess, so I decided to come down to his level and ask how much to settle him, he said 20k, I started begging but he's desperate and then he called his boss, an old man, to my surprise he also lay the same allegations and all I can do is start begging and swearing am not a Yahoo boy.

After begging and rejecting their allegations, I was told to sit behind their vehicle, I did and they close the door on me while one of them keep saying they should handcuff me, I keep rejecting their allegations and then the guy earlier attempted to slap me right in the vehicle I sat in, he then decided to handcuff me from then. They start claiming they will destroy my life, that I agreed to been a Yahoo boy and then I started denying it again. I decided to keep shut and wait till my dad comes since we are not too far from home and I have signal to my brother (we both traveling together) to call my dad which he did, I waited and didn't talk to them anymore. Every cars passing were all looking at me right behind the vehicle, I felt embarrassed.

My dad came and they attended to him, they tell him what they said I am (yahoo boy) and that I have admit it, he knowing fully well who I am, told them that I am not and he knows fully what I do online. He told them that I am an importer and also work online as a freelance graphic designer. They said the app is for Yahoo boys and not app to import goods. I can't help but burst into tears because am presently embarrassing my dad along with me.

The boss then show my dad an app on his phone but my dad doesn't know anything about this stuff, the boss told me to explain what happened in front of my dad, I did and he ask why I have those apps on my phone, I explain am an importer and also an online person but he left and asked the first guy to attend to us. So my dad asked what the solution is since he knows they all want money, I didn't hear what goes next but he later gave them 2k after demanding for 5k, they removed the handcuff, gave my phone back to me and we left.

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire 20 years on earth, I only hear it but it happened to me today. It makes it my first time in their car or police car and first time of been in handcuff (which breaks my heart).

This is purely violation of human right and I regret that I have no evidence to follow this up. But never can I forget their faces on this earth.

***The app (Kik) is a social media app which I used to chat with a friend in Los Angeles, not a very common app in Nigeria but one of the most used app in USA making it the only social app to connect with her.

If this is what Nigeria has become (became), then it's a sad story.

Don't know if this is the right section, mods plz help forward to Front Page.
Learnt you can't go past these guys without dropping something if you use iPhones. That sounds really crazy.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Ajani2plus(m): 11:17pm On May 30, 2016
Hmmn....Bro, u just have to accept it as fate. That was how I and my family was delayed for an 1hour+ along that road when we were traveling down to Omu-Aran during the Presidential Election period.

One have to just dance to their tune to avoid long stories that touches. grin

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by zeedof(m): 11:21pm On May 30, 2016
You are a jjc. You are a student and you are not current, you only come on nairaland to book space or read comment but you never read the news gan gan.. SARS dey make you sweat thumb down for you bro... IG ban police officer from using private car for operation 1 and 2 they should not access your phone at checking point unless the case is critical an you have been taking to station and they need it for report or evidence. Next time always calm okay and if they want to prof stubborn tell them to take you station time tht you need to get where you going to in time. Don't be scared and be ready to waste some time. When you get to station they don't kill there all you do is put down statement and they will let you go. Don't fight with police at checking point they can an undo just keep asking them to take you to station they will realise you because them too dey fear.

5 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by prinsam30: 11:21pm On May 30, 2016
pls guys stop castigating our Nigeria Police, don't you know that Police is your friend.

OP what happened to you was just a coincidence, this is a case of 1 in every 1000

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by psalmsjob: 11:23pm On May 30, 2016
Twaci:
Kpele. You had better comprehend a question before replying next time.

...like seriously "Are you a game boy?" "Yes I am!" What a response from a 20-year old chap to such a question...you definitely need that "mild" experience... Most chaps your age don't have Dad's for like 8 years ago and they definitely know never to answer in the affirmative to such questions from a SARS.

Grow up man, Nigeria has always been like that but change is here now! Besides Facebook messenger is used both in US and Nigeria...all this itk about one KIK could still get you into more trouble if you learnt more than one lesson from your experience... maku iku obirin.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Phemmy0011: 11:31pm On May 30, 2016
Funny... I have been waiting for this kind of thread because I really don't know how to post or make my story go on front page cos it was just about a week now when my kidbro got robbed by these same SARS people along ilorin road because he was wearing a Gucci cap. A black cap with a red and green Gucci stripe and for that, they said he was impersonating VGN vigilante and he has to pay 20k and they told the driver to drive off and leave him with them. My brother was traveling from ado EKiti to some town to buy melon (egusi) for my aunt's business in kwara, patigi I think. He told me the guy said he is going to jail...1yr improsinment for impersonation just for wearing gucci cap OmG!
I was so mad when he called me, but I couldnt do anything, I haven't been to that state before and I couldn't have driven that far or make it earlier to get to him cos I knew they would have taken all the money he had about 300k to purchase the goods before I could get there or even accuse him of other things he didn't do cos I know they could be very persuasive or maybe they would even say he is an armed robber and could kill him placing fake evidence on him if they get to know he had so much money on him. So I had to tell him to give them whatever they want as I don't know anyone from that state so as to just go with the driver. He later called back that a woman pleaded for him and they collected 5k with the cap after so much plead! Nigeria is so messed up! I hate police!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by HtwoOw: 11:32pm On May 30, 2016
Had a similar experience , in my case they asked for 200k despite showing my ID card , my paint mixing machine and my receipts from Banggood where i shop to sell my goods in Nigeria, I was pepper sprayed, they took me to their office , I have cousins and aunts in the Nigerian Army, Navy and Airforce, one call to them would have changed the situation , eventually they let me go , but not until someone paid them 8k to thier disappointment, I still regret not calling my links , it would have been a pleasure watching and recording them get beaten

We really need to do something about the impunity of the so called SARS officers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Mykelpato(m): 11:33pm On May 30, 2016
xmich:

chai what an embarrasing moment,sorry dear that is the price you have to pay as a nigerian.
Most of this said yahoo boys our security operatives dey catch na like this ooh,if you dont have any body to come for your rescue at that moment once it gets to station them go beat you sotee you concur,just thank your stars your dad knows your biz and was alarted earlier if not by tomorrow the news on nairaland would have been - 20yrs old yahoo boy
nabbed by Special Anti Robbery Squad
grin
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by solayd(m): 11:34pm On May 30, 2016
sorry! this department of police called SARS need overhauling they act like criminals

4 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by mmauton: 11:34pm On May 30, 2016
The first time I heard of such along this same route was when my designer narrated his experience. They checked his phone and saw money transferred to him for a Grooms men wedding suit material. And they decided he is a yahoo boy. Until he gave them something before he was let go.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by KingTom(m): 11:36pm On May 30, 2016
popcykaylah:

All this mouth wey you dey make na for normal police..any day wey sars ask for your phone ..please tell them say them no born them well..belive me by the time dey are done with you ..na he'll you go wake up
no mind am na so he dey make mouth anyhow

2 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 30, 2016
Twaci:
Kpele. You had better comprehend a question before replying next time.

Hmm, does that make what he went through anything close to being benign?
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Tonnierichy(m): 11:43pm On May 30, 2016
This Op no get brain jare. Y e dey fear in the 1st place
Na him make d police guy dey Shakara am.
B like say him hands no clean sef
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Francheezy(m): 11:43pm On May 30, 2016
Fvck the police We are suppose to feel safe around them But that's not how it is now

4 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Francheezy(m): 11:45pm On May 30, 2016
Fvck SARS especially They think they are above the law.
Finally all game boys should play safe.

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 30, 2016
I can relate to your plight, just last year december i went to ITF office in Enugu from Abakaliki to sign my SIWES log book. On my way back i entered one of this pick and drop buses right in front of the ITF office, along Enugu-Abakiliki express road we came across a mobile police check point and they told all the boys to alight from the bus and they searched our pockets and bags. They found my Tablet in my bag (lost my tecno p5 some days back so i had no choice but go with the tab). They asked me for the reciept unfortunately i wasn't with it. That was where the whole bruhaha started, they labeled me a theif instanta and took me to their van. They threaten to detain me at the state command and took my name, phone number and other shitty details and denied me the right to a phone call(who i go even call sef). To cut the long story short, after 3.5hrs of a very horrible experience and plea to no avail they requested 5k from me to refund me my tab, i pleaded that i only had 1.5k with me and they said they wont take nothing less than 2k, i had to beg from other commuters that they flagged down to raise the balance which i emptied all to, leaving me with N0.00. The wickedest part of it all was they had to wash me trek my way from Enugu to Ai knowing fully well i had nothing on me with no iota of sympathy nor concern, i had to flag down a tipper carring sand to my destination. That was my first experience in the hands of nigeria police and i my confess i was highly intimidated, but that can never happen again cause am wiser now.

3 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by akashi01(m): 11:57pm On May 30, 2016
Has anyone noticed that the people that shared dimiliar experience said it happened on the same road?

Government should look into this and sack all those fools
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by raphy(m): 11:58pm On May 30, 2016
Being a lagos bred I have come across all this before..am very. Sharp now and am aint a yahooboy n nver will be..I had problem wth some roadside
Police in 2012.I was waiking around loloking for Work whn they stop me.I showed thm my I'd.but they said I don't sound like naija boy .I taik like a french accent..thy ask me about my parents and were I grewup.I told. Em everything ..they said I was lieing saying am from french speaking countries.they drill me for 30min then call sombody to speak my local language n I answered.tht was my saving grace .
Am very sharp nw goes evrywereb with my I'd card now.
I don't blame them ,I blame the country whch is #fantasticallycorrupt .
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 30, 2016
dipznano:

Panic is the greatest weapon against yourself in situations like this! You need to stay composed... Many times have I been harassed driving, strolling or even in a cab, they say I'm dressed like a yahoo boy and my hair cut is like one undecided I just laugh at them for about a minute before I flash dem several Id cards and den ask dem for my phone or car keys while staring into their eye sockets... I swear I don offer them biscuit wey I dey chop on a stroll one day like dat dem no collect am sha grin

+ op, get urself together abeg, the whole matter still dey show 4 ur English, u no even sabi if na become or became grin
u wicked I swear. But the op na small boy sha. I dress properly that no policeman dare try nonsense with me. My hair cut afro with my normal shirt(long sleeve) and trouser. D kind English wey I go speak for the policeman im go know say to graduate for political science no easy.

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Francheezy(m): 11:59pm On May 30, 2016
Dumb muthafvcckkaz with guns
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 12:00am On May 31, 2016
ilobex:
Sars in kwara state is anoda things else xpecially in ilorin, imagine them searching thru corpers phone with nysc uniform.
dis one get K-leg ooo
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by aliuka(m): 12:04am On May 31, 2016
Dose guyz ehn....
moi first experience wif dem was on ogbomoso to ilorin road,it was almost dsame situation buh d difference is jus dat I denied dier allegations completely, dey checkd tru all d apps on moi fone,sms and even d contacts, e opend moi whatsapp msgs one after d oda and later accused me of bin a Yahoo boy asking me d last time I kolet money? u sabi say dem no dey speak english na. lol
I was jus laughing and it got d man soo angry, e said I should remove moi cloths and d shoe which I obediently did while still laughing, e on moi laptop and check tru all d apps.
after evrytin e said I should go
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 12:05am On May 31, 2016
ALAYORMII:

Fundamental human right in Nigeria?

I don't think you have ever been arrested by a uniformed armed robber (police)
police don't just arrest anybody anyhow. Your mode of dressing attracts them to u. You don ever see whr police arrest person wey dress corporate before for street? Dress and look like a yahoo boy and become the number one suspect.

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by 360command: 12:06am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:
Like an hour ago, I was at the back sit of SARS vehicle with handcuffs in my hands. They said am a Yahoo boy for having a kik application on my smartphone.

na so d country be.. Reading your mail I thought they have stopped this searching of phones..I remembered police officer stopping me,checking my phone and they saw an english name with a +226 no.. They said I am into yahoo. I said she is my gf in school.. Dem no gree. This men called d no, it was not going through.I argue with them so tey say na burkina faso number b dat.. No be yankee.. Before dem let me go... Naija police stupid.. God go purnish any naija police man,woman children wey dey read dis.. Dey have really destroyed d country..

3 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:12am On May 31, 2016
Tundeiab:
Hmmm

That's the new change we are experiencing o.

Human rights are no longer respected!!!

They have a mentor in Buhari.

Guy be reasonable pls, which one is buhari again, this shit has been happening since far back as 2009 if i can remenber, guys have been arrested on the streets just for carrying a laptop, having their hair done with braids, looking different, having apps and more on their phone, stop embarrassing the intelligent Nigerian youth with this your low iq post, so na 1 year old buhari that turned our ever corrupt police to more corrupt people abi....

3 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:15am On May 31, 2016
OP i feel your pain, i also have had to learn the hard way from these guys, trust me they are all thieves and all they do is play mind games just to extort money from you, police, rrs, sars, the whole lot, they all stink of corruption, brou aren't alone in this, i have been arrested while just stopping to see scores on man united match and taking to one major police station, calinfg me thieve and all sorts of name and when the time came, it was all back to the negotiation table, from 10k, to 5k to 3k, these guys are thieves and something should be done about them, they tramp on our rights and abuse us, the corruption level in Nigeria is so deep and bad that i wonder how it can all go away in just 4 years under one president.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Glo Introduces New Improved Data Plan / App To Know Your Bvn Name And Dob / Apart From Yahoo, What Can I Do With My Phone And Earn A Living?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.