Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief (1287 Views)

Photos Of Buhari With APC And PDP Governors And Aisha Buhari In London / Buhari’s Photo With APC Governors In London Is Old And Fake – FFK / APC Chief Opens Up On The Fight Between President Buhari And Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by LocalChamp: 9:23pm On May 30, 2016
A private radio station in Akwa Ibom State on Monday abruptly ended a live interview with the Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress in the state, Ita Awak, after the guest mentioned the name of the speaker of the state House of Assembly, Onofiok Luke on air.
Mr. Awak believed he was discharged from the ‘Team Nigeria’ programme on Planet 101.1FM because authorities feared he might proceed to criticise Governor Udom Emmanuel and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party.
The APC spokesman said he was well received by the host of the show but that 10 minutes into the programme, the interview was discontinued immediately he mentioned Mr. Luke’s name.
Mr. Awak said he referred to Mr. Luke in context, while trying to recall what the speaker’s opinion was on looted funds so far recovered by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The station stopped airing Mr. Awak’s interview, and started playing music in its place.
Mr. Awak said even before the interview started, he was warned by the station’s General Manager, Sunday Edet, not to talk about Governor Emmanuel, the Peoples Democratic Party, the Akwa Ibom state government or anybody within the state government.
“He told me since I am an APC spokesman I should only talk about the federal government that is being led by the APC.
“I challenged him on that. I said how can I, being an APC spokesman, talk about 17 years of democracy in Nigeria, without localising it?”
After the first interruption, the General Manager, Mr. Edet, negotiated with him to commit not to refer to any official of the state government during the programme.
When he felt a compromise had been reached, Mr. Edet gave permission for the interview to resume.

But Mr. Awak did the unexpected.
When the interview resumed, Mr. Awak told listeners, “Ladies and gentlemen, that break in transmission was caused by the censorship I am experiencing right now in this studio. The manager is prevailing on me not to mention anything about Akwa Ibom State government.”
Mr. Edet, who was standing in the studio to personally monitor the interview, immediately shut down the broadcast again.
Mr. Awak said when he asked why, Mr. Edet told him it was wrong for him (Awak) to have informed the listeners that he was being censored.
“So, you stand here to censor me, and you don’t want me to tell the public about it?” Mr. Awak told the GM, and then left the studio in anger, when he realised that the station would not allow the interview to resume.

The presenter of ‘Team Nigeria’, Aniekan Udosen, corroborated Mr. Awak’s claims, and added that the general manager of the station even ordered a studio assistant out of the studio when the interview was going on.
“It’s unprofessional for a station manager to stand inside the studio to monitor how an interview was being conducted,” Mr. Udosen said.
“The general manager told me he was there in the studio to protect his station, and I asked him ‘protect your station from who?’
“In broadcasting, we are guided by the code provided by the National Broadcasting Commission. There is absolutely nothing that Ita Awak said that is prohibited by the code.
“It’s politics, we know.”
Mr. Awak, who said he would brief the APC leadership in the state, and then wait for them to decide what action to take, said he almost had a similar encounter with the federal-owned Atlantic FM station in the state, a few days ago.
“The GM of Atlantic FM received phone calls from some persons within the Akwa Ibom State government, and became very restless about me being interviewed in the station.
He tried everything possible to make sure I didn’t criticise the state government.
“For me, this is very ominous signs.”
Mr. Edet, the GM of Planet FM, declined to comment for this story, when PREMIUM TIMES contacted him.
Sampson Akpan, the special assistant on electronic media to Governor Emmanuel, said no one should blame the governor for what happened to Mr. Awak.
“Planet FM is a private radio station, no government has the right to interfere it its running,” Mr. Akpan said.
This is not the first time Planet FM would be involved in controversy bordering on censorship.
In 2014, the station discontinued a live interview with the then senator representing Akwa Ibom North West, Aloysius Etok, who at the time had deep political disagreement with the Governor Godswill Akpabio.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/204390-protecting-governor-emmanuel-pdp-radio-station-halts-live-interview-apc-chieftain.html
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by DickDastardly(m): 9:27pm On May 30, 2016
Nice check there ... good riddance ... well played cool

4 Likes

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by satelliteDISH(m): 9:31pm On May 30, 2016
Make I pitch my tent here...
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Cope1(m): 9:36pm On May 30, 2016
Zombies food don show
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by SamuelAnyawu(m): 9:37pm On May 30, 2016
Dictators everywhere cool cool cool from Presidency to Governors to Local Government Chairmen

1 Like

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by ORACLE1975(m): 10:01pm On May 30, 2016
okay
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by modath(f): 10:06pm On May 30, 2016
DickDastardly:

I'm holding this as EVIDENCE.. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Splinz(m): 10:23pm On May 30, 2016
What nonsense! Why is the State government scared of criticism if not that Udom is a damn failure occupying government house for nothing? Mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by ayzTIGER: 10:24pm On May 30, 2016
As he was about to sing the BLAME song he got censored.... Good riddance

1 Like

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by luvinhubby(m): 10:26pm On May 30, 2016
modath:

Slip of his tongue. tongue
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by LoveMachine(m): 10:51pm On May 30, 2016
He might wanna be careful. People tend to end up missing in Akwa Ibom.

2 Likes

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by scampy(m): 11:47pm On May 30, 2016
Oga, you better becareful cos what you say can be used against you.
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Nobody: 12:20am On May 31, 2016
All these South South people
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by One1after: 1:00am On May 31, 2016
DickDastardly:

Soon you will be everywhere blaming and insulting the President, some of you kids dont even have any shame. Hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Nobody: 1:24am On May 31, 2016
This is not healthy for our democracy. The press must understand the pivotal it plays in nurturing democracy.
The attempt to muzzle the interviewee voice is a distasteful act. How could an opposition spokesman be disallowed from giving his assessment of the party in power?
The station should apologize to him and fix a new date for another interview.
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by tit(f): 1:40am On May 31, 2016
modath:

when did nta or frcn interview any pdp member?
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Unblockable: 2:01am On May 31, 2016
Nebuchadnezar:
[s][/s] Nonsense
Bloodykiller, go and sleep.
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by tinkinjow: 5:00am On May 31, 2016
I wonder why some bother abt what ur enemies say. To even think that It's an enemy you have defeated twice.
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by Nobody: 5:22am On May 31, 2016
angry
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by rooftech: 5:26am On May 31, 2016
one this guy mr ita awak is not the APC publicity secretary,he is an impostor.
Disclaimer
My  attention has been drawn to various publications on new and print media by certain cohorts and ostensibly a certain man called  mr ita awak parading himself as the State Publicity Secretary. of APC Akwa Ibom State Chapter.
I  wish to bring to public notice that there has been no congress held to elect new officers of the party at any level of the party in the Country as I remain the only State Publicity Secretary of  APC Akwa Ibom State and that the party  does   have any parallel executives other than that recognised by the national exco .
Our party constitution is clear,Mr Ita Awak  is an impostor and impersonator, I advice him and I will continue to advise him  to stop impersonating my office. It is my believe that Mr Ita awak was appointed PA to the State Chairman on media and publicity and instead of him to carry out his jobs as assigned, he is now trying to carry-out my jobs. He should be warned to desist fotthwith.   APC  is a discipline party that respect the party constitution very well in that the Office of the State Publicity Secretary is not an appointive offce but an elective office of which I contested the party's congress and won. The general public is hereby advice not to take any publication made by Ita Awak serious as he is not holding brief for me nor have the capacity to speak for the party in the state as there is only one State Publicity Secretary of APC.
Thank you, Signed Obong Samuel Udobong State Publicity Secretary- APC Akwa Ibom State
Re: Protecting Gov. Emmanuel, PDP, Radio Station Halts Live Interview With APC Chief by rooftech: 5:27am On May 31, 2016
the idiot disobeyed the NBC broadcast codes.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Makes 47 Ambassadorial Appointments, forwards list to Senate for confirma / Aisha Prove Nnamdi Kanu Right..pix / Murdered Preacher Of RCCG Eunice Olawale Buried Today In Company Of Family (pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.