Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. (73014 Views)

Complete List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Of Nigeria Where They Live / Nigerian Tribes And States Where They Live / Tribes And Their Best Occupation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by henks(m): 2:11pm On Jun 04, 2016
This is a very old list before the creation of the six 6 last states ,most of Nasarawa and Gombe tribe are in plateau and Bauchi state pls review ur list. U try sha.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Chartey(m): 9:33am On Jun 05, 2016
henks:
This is a very old list before the creation of the six 6 last states ,most of Nasarawa and Gombe tribe are in plateau and Bauchi state pls review ur list. U try sha.

True. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Lordmykel(m): 10:57pm On Jun 06, 2016
saintkeppy:
. Sorry for the long story i just wanted to give u a comprehensive backup to my claims. Yes i'm an Oro Nation man, Mbo LGA to be precise. I speak both oro & Efik language fluently, infact i feel like typing in Efik. Edididieh, odu ke mmong ke calabar?
Eyen eka, ndu ke calabar o.. Ami nto Odukpani, esit anem mi eti eti di kut fi mi ke Nairaland. Thanks brother.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 10:58am On Jun 07, 2016
Lordmykel:
Eyen eka, ndu ke calabar o.. Ami nto Odukpani, esit anem mi eti eti di kut fi mi ke Nairaland. Thanks brother.
. Esit enem mi ntre eyen eka mi, nnso ke anam ke calabar?, odu ke ufok nwed?, oh ama kure nwed?, ame yene utom sa'amam? Kot mi ise ye uruk uting iko' omi 08030632836.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by iblawi(m): 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
shizzy7:
NO...

Mambilla plateau = Taraba state...
I want to build my villa there.
Na so you like cold weather reach.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by shizzy7(f): 10:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
iblawi:

Na so you like cold weather reach.
Aawww, ibla my friend I have missed you ooo...

Yes oooo I don't care about how cold the place will be I am just tired and fed up of this heat. The place will be my wonderland.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by iblawi(m): 9:39am On Jun 12, 2016
shizzy7:
Aawww, ibla my friend I have missed you ooo...

Yes oooo I don't care about how cold the place will be I am just tired and fed up of this heat. The place will be my wonderland.
Why don't you try Jos first. Am sure that will solve your problem. Mambilla is by far colder than jos.

I miss you too.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Kirigidi(m): 9:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
fratermathy:

This is why I said you need to learn ooooo!

Urhobos left Igodomigodo during the time of the Ogisos, the sky rulers, before Ekalederhan exiled himself and Oranmiyan came and named Igodomigodo Ubinu which later became Benin. This preceded the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great who formed the Benin empire and conquered surrounding towns and cities going as far west as Lagos!

Urhobos were primarily in Udo before they migrated due to tussles and rifts. However, Urhobos were never under the Benin empire whatsoever. We had no representatives from the Oba and we sent none. However, we revered and feared his power and eminence. We respected his throne but WE WERE NEVER UNDER HIM!
Good write-up, friend! D same thing I've bin sayin. Urhobo weren't unda d Benin Kingdom. Urhobo ancestors left Udo district long bfor Benin Kingdom was establishd by Oranmiyan! Rather, Urhobo were stakeholders in d kingdm of d OGISOS which was den knwn as AKA KINGDOM wit capital in UDO!

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by hollywhyte: 11:25pm On May 09, 2017
Lordmykel:
this was quite lengthy, are you an Akwa Ibomite?
please ignor his claim, let him becareful in his write up, let him tell us the real name for efik.
take note OKU IBOKU is efik weather he accept it or not
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by hollywhyte: 11:26pm On May 09, 2017
Lordmykel:
this was quite lengthy, are you an Akwa Ibomite?
please ignor his claim, let him becareful in his write up, let him tell us the real name for efik.
take note OKU IBOKU is efik weather he accept it or not
the efik are known as IBOKU
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Ubameyang: 9:07pm On May 10, 2017
Abeg jor d whole of bayelsa na ijaw. Even Ofoni wey speak urhobo r under(tarakiri)ijaw
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by lawani: 10:38am On Jun 29, 2018
There are yoruba in edo and niger states as well
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Sinistami(m): 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2018
Number 111. Epie is found in Bayelsa nt Rivers. thats the language i speak. The list is not complete. In Bayelsa we have 5 major languages, and some of them are nt in the list Gud job sha

I wanted to say that thank you for saying it the list is not current.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by kayfra: 11:31am On Jul 01, 2018
Yorubas are in Edo (Akoko) and Delta (Olukumi) states. Update the list
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2018
Akoko-Edo are Edo, not yoruba and Lukumi are also Edo.
you and your yoruba should stop laying claims to peoples heads !
You guys are limited to a few south-western states and brazil and illorin.
By the way, Edo is a people, not a land.
Edo-state is just a part of the land of the Edos, Edo-state and Delta-state are considered the core of Edo land, but almost all southern nigeria was part of the Benin empire. And almost as much was part of Benin Kingdom and administered from Benin City by Omo n'Oba n'Edo.

kayfra:
Yorubas are in Edo (Akoko) and Delta (Olukumi) states. Update the list
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by kayfra: 5:10pm On Jul 01, 2018
prolog2:
Akoko-Edo are Edo, not yoruba and Lukumi are also Edo.
you and your yoruba should stop laying claims to peoples heads !
You guys are limited to a few south-western states and brazil and illorin.
By the way, Edo is a people, not a land.
Edo-state is just a part of the land of the Edos, Edo-state and Delta-state are considered the core of Edo land, but almost all southern nigeria was part of the Benin empire. And almost as much was part of Benin Kingdom and administered from Benin City by Omo n'Oba n'Edo.

You have no clue
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 4:27am On Aug 26, 2018
Lordmykel:
etie didie?
Efik Edi mbakara.
Ami ndu ke Benin.
Mmong nyong di obio Canaan ke ukabare isua oh
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 4:39am On Aug 26, 2018
saintkeppy:
. Sorry for the long story i just wanted to give u a comprehensive backup to my claims. Yes i'm an Oro Nation man, Mbo LGA to be precise. I speak both oro & Efik language fluently, infact i feel like typing in Efik. Edididieh, odu ke mmong ke calabar?
hello I'm from Akwa ibom State. I worked in ministry of culture and tourism under Victor Ntai.
I left to Benin last year for studies.
Pls bro I need few information from you.
Though I know that uruan people are efiks but does uruan share boundaries with Odukpani and if yes which part of uruan village can I access so I can get into cross River cos I thought it's only Itu bride and Oron sea that one can access cross River.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 6:19am On Aug 26, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
hello I'm from Akwa ibom State. I worked in ministry of culture and tourism under Victor Ntai.
I left to Benin last year for studies.
Pls bro I need few information from you.
Though I know that uruan people are efiks but does uruan share boundaries with Odukpani and if yes which part of uruan village can I access so I can get into cross River cos I thought it's only Itu bride and Oron sea that one can access cross River.

Yeah, uruan is the Cradle of the Efiks, no Uruan High Chief from that clan where Efik migrated from, no coronation of Obong of Calabar,
He must be at Efe Asabo to witness the Coronation of the new king. It's an ancient tradition that has been in practice till date.

Note, Calabar as a City has three ethnic groups,
Namely, Abakpa, Efut &Efik, which Efik is the minority but mighty, influential&the power to oppress, Lol grin from its name, edi fik owo wink
And each group has a Traditional Ruler but it's only Obong of Calabar FG recognizes, you can smell jealousy from the other two. grin
The remaining 5 Efik Clans in 5LGAs are in AKS territory which they usually pays Obong homage called "Utomo Obong" in his palace every December. It was the current Obong that brought the idea, to unite Efik brothers in the other divide.

Now back to ur question, yes Uruan shares boundry with Odukpani infact it's one of the longest boundry besides Okobo, Oron &Mbo LGAs with CRS, yes, you can access Odukpani via:

Ifiayong Usuk, Ibom Le Meridian 5star Hotel host community, there's a River there where u can access Ikoneto &other villages in Odukpani on a continuous sail to Tinapa&Marina Resort in Calabar, Cross River State.

Note, There's a special Chartered Boat Cruise Services for this route between Marina Resort&Ibom Le Meridian for anybody that wants to explore to&fro which you pay for a fee.

Then Gov.Donald Duke used this route to arrive Uyo in a matter of minutes to attend the commissioning of the 5star Hotel&Golf Resort via special Ferry Boat instead to travel by Road, this trip cut down his Travelling time&unneecessary stress.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 8:34am On Aug 26, 2018
saintkeppy:

Yeah, uruan is the Cradle of the Efiks, no Uruan High Chief from that clan where Efik migrated from, no coronation of Obong of Calabar,
He must be at Efe Asabo to witness the Coronation of the new king. It's an ancient tradition that has been in practice till date.

Note, Calabar as a City has three ethnic groups,
Namely, Abakpa, Efut &Efik, which Efik is the minority but mighty, influential&the power to oppress, Lol grin from its name, edi fik owo wink
And each group has a Traditional Ruler but it's only Obong of Calabar FG recognizes, you can smell jealousy from the other two. grin
The remaining 5 Efik Clans in 5LGAs are in AKS territory which they usually pays Obong homage called "Utomo Obong" in his palace every December. It was the current Obong that brought the idea, to unite Efik brothers in the other divide.

Now back to ur question, yes Uruan shares boundry with Odukpani infact it's one of the longest boundry besides Okobo, Oron &Mbo LGAs with CRS, yes, you can access Odukpani via:

Ifiayong Usuk, Ibom Le Meridian 5star Hotel host community, there's a River there where u can access Ikoneto &other villages in Odukpani on a continuous sail to Tinapa&Marina Resort in Calabar, Cross River State.

Note, There's a special Chartered Boat Cruise Services for this route between Marina Resort&Ibom Le Meridian for anybody that wants to explore to&fro which you pay for a fee.

Then Gov.Donald Duke used this route to arrive Uyo in a matter of minutes to attend the commissioning of the 5star Hotel&Golf Resort via special Ferry Boat instead to travel by Road, this trip cut down his Travelling time&unneecessary stress.
God bless you so much bro. You've sum it all. I'm now so enlightened.

I came across this at Wikipedia and also at a site where it started that Uruan and Ibiono shares boundary with Odukpani and my friend doubted.

I also saw where Akpabio approved the River at Le Meridian to be accessed to Tinapa and Marina resort.
Thanks.
Do you know how much the ferry will cost from le meridean to Odukpani or to Tinapa?
Oron route fare seems costly, last time I went there it's like I paid 1,500.
This is the first time of hearing about the Efuts, initially I was born in bred in calabar south and I schooled at calabar but never heard of them. Which language do they speak and which axis of calabar do they base?

I believe you know what an Island is, a place that can only be accessible via boat since it's surrounded by waters, lekki and Victoria Island at Lagos, bonny Island in rivers state are all examples of Island. Now is there any of such Island in Akwa ibom state or Cross River?
Lastly I'll be coming back to Uyo on November and will spend the Yuletide season till I go back on January, I hope we see so we can even tour this places together cos obio Efik dey sweet during Xmas oh though na money you go spend sha.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by kayfra: 11:44am On Aug 26, 2018
GossipHeart:
The most successful, most educated, the tribe with the highest number of millionaires, the most peaceful tribe.

Guess what tribe

Ibos

The thread is about tribes and their indigenous states. Your inferiority complex could not let you follow along the same theme with useful contribution. So you had to boast like an empty barrel

Smh

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 12:52pm On Aug 26, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:

I came across this at Wikipedia and also at a site where it started that Uruan and Ibiono shares boundary with Odukpani and my friend doubted.

I also saw where Akpabio approved the River at Le Meridian to be accessed to Tinapa and Marina resort.
Thanks.
Do you know how much the ferry will cost from le meridean to Odukpani or to Tinapa?
This is the first time of hearing about the Efuts, initially I was born in bred in calabar south and I schooled at calabar but never heard of them. Which language do they speak and which axis of calabar do they base?

I believe you know what an Island is, a place that can only be accessible via boat since it's surrounded by waters, lekki and Victoria Island at Lagos, bonny Island in rivers state are all examples of Island. Now is there any of such Island in Akwa ibom state or Cross River?
Lastly I'll be coming back to Uyo on November and will spend the Yuletide season till I go back on January, I hope we see so we can even tour this places together cos obio Efik dey sweet during Xmas oh though na money you go spend sha.

Ibiono shares but not much infact it's 1 of LGA with many boundaries even with Abia state, cos of it size in the North-East corner of the state map, same as Oruk Anam in the South-west corner, these are the 2most largest LGA in Landmass followed by uruan, Ini, Essien Udium

These LGAS are along the boundary in these order, Itu, Uruan, Okobo, Oron, Mbo along the Cross River Estuary down to the Atlantic connectin'Ibeno at the Base.

Please note it is at Mbo axis that River has a larger gateway &deeper around the Cameroon/Atlantic channel into Nigerian territory &AKS in particular, the idea behind IBAKA DEEP SEAPORT development at Mbo.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:

Thanks.

I'll respond 2other qestions lemme charge ma phone.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 10:50pm On Aug 26, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:

Thanks.

Q1. Don't know the price for now but heard it's expensive then, the reason why it's not viable cos people prefer to travel by road, that route is mainly used by locals.

But for tourism's sake you can charter a boat cruise with friends just to have fun&catch the feelins of travellin'by sea.

Q2. You lived in Calabar South &u don't know Efut Well they're ur landlords cheesy

OK, let me brief you, Efut people migrated from Efut Usakedet in neighbourin'Cameroon
To settle in present day Calabar centuries ago &it was an efik man named Asibong who got married to Mutaka while in his sojourn in Efut usakedet living with Ekondo his father-in-law, upon his return to Calabar, he brought many in-laws with him whom they later split &they migrated to different parts of greater part of Calabar to form clans in 4LGAs namely, Calabar South(majorly), Odukpani, Akpabuyo,&part of Bakassi, not too sure if they're found in Calabar Muncipality cos Municipal are mainly Abakpa(Quas) which Ndidem is the traditional ruler which also have an ancestral root in Mamfe, south-west province Cameroon.

Efut people had their language but it went extinct cos of Efik Language dominance like I told you Efik is domineering &influencial in nature no matter the fact that they are small in size, Efut adopted the efik language &this does not change their heritage &identity or ethnicity as an Efut person, they occuppy the greater part of Calabar South down-ward, part of unical, mt.zion, Goldie, Etonko, Atu, yellow duke, Musagha, Atamunu, all in Efut Abua Clan headed by a Muri (clan head), Ekpo Abasi, Ekpo Ase, Ambo &environs, Anantigha, Afuokang &environs including Efut Ekondo clan are all divided into Clans headed by different Muris same as clans in other LGAS I mentioned earlier.

The paramount ruler &Grand patriarch of the entire Efut People is called MURI MUNENE (have u heard this name before?)he usually appointed as paramount ruler of Calabar South since an Efik man Obong of Calabar has the highest traditional stool recognized by FG cos it will be unfair to have an Efik man as a paramount ruler of the same LGA mainly occupied by the two ethnic groups(efik&efut)

OBONG is to Efiks

NDIDEM is to Quas (Abakpa)

MURI MUNENE is to Efuts
All in calabar, there's usually a debate as "who owns Calabar" among the three ethnic groups.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 01, 2019
Contrary to popular belief, there is indeed enough Oga Ade to go around. lipsrsealed
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Marshalees10(m): 7:15am On Jun 08, 2019
Shey op no know say KAGOMA dey kaduna state abi?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by iObEy(m): 10:20am On Jan 16, 2021
saintkeppy:
. Cross River State is also an example. There's a village in the state that women speaks different from men. Over 5 languages spoken in 1 LGA. Lol very funny. In calabar, an Efik or Efut man finds it difficult to understand Abakpa(Qua) language, who are the landlords of calabar Municipal council. These three tribes are the occupants of the Greater Calabar. Infact the state is a mini Nigeria.

Please can you tell me more about this Efut tribe? Language, tradition, emmigrants etc.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by iObEy(m): 10:21am On Jan 16, 2021
saintkeppy:
. Wow! U knw a lot about ma pdople? U even knw Efut lol they are 1 of the cameroon immigrants just like the Qua Nation of the Ejagham stock. we have the larger Efut ethnic group in that country. ...Which of the town do u reside currently?

Please can you tell me more about Edit tribe? I'm interested.

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 11:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
iObEy:

Please can you tell me more about this Efut tribe? Language, tradition, emmigrants etc.

Ok, efut are Cameroon immigrants, they settled down in Calabar few centuries ago, it was an efik man named Asibong who brought them to Calabar from Efutland, Cameroon after staying over there for a very long time, he got married to their daughter named Mutanda Ekondo over there, it was when he decided to returned home, that he came back with his wife & numerous inlaws which when they arrived Calabar they migrate to different parts of old Calabar to occupy empty farm lands, some inter-married to form many clans which are found in Creek town, Odukpani, Akpabuyo, Calabar south &Bakassi Local Government Areas which is mainly southern part Cross River State.

Ekondo an efut man was the father-in-law of Asibong an efik man, before he left Cameroon his father-in-law gave him a mystery... so he can use it to protect his daughter n family from danger.

Their language has gone extinct here, except those in Cameroon, cos of relevance of efik language which is spoken widely, so they speak efik as a result of that, they get efik traditions to some extent. The dress like the efiks, you can't just differentiate the people, except you are told.

They occupy main/greater part of Calabar south LGA.
The traditional head of the efut people is known as "Muri Munene" he is usually appointed as Paramount Ruler of Calabar south to balance traditional sharing formular,

in that Ndidem of the Quas (abakpa) is the Paramount Ruler of Calabar municipal Area,

while Obong of Calabar reigns as a special first class king which FG recognizes & Obong remains the grand patraich of the great Efik people, he exercises his authority with influence, swaggz, he is indeed in a class of his own, Lol

Calabar &Warri in Delta state is known to have 3 important traditional rulers

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by NewDawn2O21: 6:33pm On Jul 04, 2021
Nigal72:
nice1 mine is 117 Etuno IGARRA Akoko Edo in Edo state
do you also reside there?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by sylve11: 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2021
Dething:

No Ijaw in Edo. They are in d riverine States. Ondo, Delta, Bayelsa, rivers etc

Lmao. grin cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Origin Of Various Igbo Clans / Ooni Ogunwusi And Silekunola Moronke Naomi's First Outing (Picture) / 4 Northern Nigeria Elites Whose Daughters Don’t Wear Hijab (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.