Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha (44679 Views)

BREAKING: Biafra Demonstration In Aba Now! / See Photos Of Sen Akpabio Consoling Akwa Ibom Gov Over Church Building Collapse / EFCC Closes In On Ex-gov Over 29 Dubai Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by anambraeyes: 8:50pm On May 31, 2016
Gentlemen of the Press,

1. I convened this conference today to offer some clarifications on the crisis that erupted in Nkpor yesterday between the law enforcement agents and the young men and women who staged a peaceful demonstration under different names to mark the annual Igbo Day. This conference became a necessity following the curious interpretations given to the incident by different segments of the media.

2. However, we are worried that the recent crisis in Nkpor appears to have opened an unpleasant vista on the reportage of issues of grave national importance in the contemporary history of the Nigerian press. We are concerned at how a strain of virulent sensationalism appears to have crept into the various accounts given by different media platforms on the incident (We hope for a more cautionary approach that takes cognizance of the fragile strands of national unity and the supremacy of objectivity over fanciful headlines in professional journalism).

3. It was in a bid to provide a balanced perspective on the matter that we issued a Press Statement yesterday to serve as a guide to journalists whose aim is to provide an objective account on the crisis to the public. Unfortunately, much to our perplexity, a great number of people preferred the sensational to the factual. It is for the purpose of separating the imaginary from the hard facts that we wish to restate as follows –

i. That the peaceful demonstration by youths who allegedly belong to the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to mark the Igbo Day was hijacked by hoodlums whose designs were antithetical to the peace and security of Anambra State.

ii. That these elements who infiltrated the peaceful demonstration, turned violent at Nkpor; fired live bullets at the policemen who were detailed to watch the procession and ensure that it was peaceful and burnt down a patrol van to send a dangerous signal to the entire neighbourhood that Anambra had lost the peace we had all enjoyed for two unbroken years.

iii.
a. Nothing happened inside St Edmunds Catholic Church Nkpor. The confrontation was at a nearby Primary School.
b. No house was burnt. We counted about 2 cars at Eke Nkpor and a motorcycle at Afor Nkpor.
c. His Excellency, Governor Willie Obiano has already expressed his deepest condolences to families who lost their dear ones to this avoidable shootout.
d. Items recovered
i. Dynamite
ii. Charms
iii. Machetes
iv. Banners (IPOB etc)
iv. That the actual number of casualties can be ascertained from the office of the Commissioner of Police in Anambra State as against the curious figures being bandied in the press.
v. That contrary to the sensational report alleging that some citizens who took shelter in a church were murdered in cold blood inside the chapel, no such incident happened in actuality. My team visited Nkpor this morning to verify that claim from the residents and it was dismissed as dubious and misleading. However, there was a gun battle between those criminal infiltrators and the police in the premises of a nearby primary school. We urge the general public to disregard this claim as it is false. It is the duty of the Obiano administration to protect the life and property of every Nigerian resident in Anambra State and a threat to the life of any citizen will be resisted with the strongest possible force.
vi. We want to assure Ndi Anambra that calm has since returned to Nkpor and that people have resumed their normal lives under the re-assuring protection of the law.
vii. We wish to appeal to our colleagues in the media and various Nigerians who have assumed the sacred duty of citizen journalism with their mobile phones to always place national interest far and above other considerations, especially in a season of anomie as the one our dear country has found itself in.
viii. Thank you.

Ogbuefi Tony Nnachetta
Hon Commissioner for Information and Strategy
Anambra State.

Source: http://www.anambrablog.ng/2016/05/the-nkpor-crisis-drawing-line-between.html

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by vedaxcool(m): 9:09pm On May 31, 2016
ipob is touts and hoodlums, touts and hoodlums is ipob. Peaceful demonstration wey dynamite dey na peace be that? shior

142 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 31, 2016
h
Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by xmich(m): 9:21pm On May 31, 2016
story for the gods Dynamite
you recovered
i. Charms
iii. Machetes
iv. Banners (IPOB etc)

when a country is build with lies that country i tell must surely fail.
Nigeria/Nigeria can never do without lieing WhY?

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 31, 2016
This is why the North will forever be superior to the South.

Your people are being butchered by the Fulani-controlled Army for protesting. Instead of you to speak out, you are here singing the tunes they told you to sing. The same Army would never try that in the North because they know the tone with which the Northern governors and people will respond.

Hoodlum ko. Hoodlums ni.

As much as I used to dislike Fayose, it's obvious he is the only Southern Governor that is not a coward and a puppet to Buhari's Fulani-led government.

165 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by meeky007(m): 9:35pm On May 31, 2016
ALSO WARN YOUR SECURITY FORCES TO STAY CLEAR PEACEFUL PROTEST INORDER NOT TO CREAT VIOLENCE.
THANKS.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by SuperS1Panther: 9:35pm On May 31, 2016
That was how they lied that 3million died during Biafra War without selfies of the 3million.

Even the devil will slap Ipods for their level of lies. He will even tell them ''U no dey fear God'' followed by a good slap.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by xmich(m): 9:40pm On May 31, 2016
Well nailed

Harbioollah:

Your people are being butchered by the Fulani-controlled Army for protesting. Instead of you to speak out, you are here singing the tunes they told you to sing. The same Army would never try that in the North because they know the tone with which the Northern governors and people will respond.

Hoodlum ko. Hoodlums ni.

As much as I used to dislike Fayose, it's obvious he is the only Southern Governor that is not a coward and a puppet to Buhari's Fulani-led government.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by dontjealousme: 9:45pm On May 31, 2016
Meanwhile Northerners that enjoy Nigeria are busy bailing their brothers in Lagos and insisting they did no wrong.

That is wat we call representation.

Who are these old men representing? It is a sad day wen son turns gun on father but it will happen for these old men to understand the tone and mindset of the younger generation.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by WASMOG(m): 9:50pm On May 31, 2016
meeky007:
ALSO WARN YOUR SECURITY FORCES TO STAY CLEAR PEACEFUL PROTEST INORDER NOT TO CREAT VIOLENCE.
THANKS.
It's unfortunate that today we the Igbos are
shading crocodile tears after betraying chief
Ojukwu severally when he was alive, Ojukwu
brought his party APGA and contested in the
presidential election under it,he didn't win a
single state in the whole of the east,his party
only won gubernatorial in only Anambra state,
and in 2015 we sold Anambra again which is
the only APGA state to the PDP. And now our
politicians are sponsoring a dead movement
called biafra,the real Biafra died and was buried
with Ojukwu,its better we retrace our steps in
this country cos we cannot fight for those few
aggrieved politicians who are only feeding their
pockets. Pls ndigbo we shud stop that
hypocrisy. I know u will insult me but at least
I've bared my mind. Oya start the insults.

205 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by attackgat: 9:57pm On May 31, 2016
There are too many lies in this press statement. They said it was "Igbo day". Which one is Igbo day? Everyone knows that the 30th of May is Biafran remembrance day. 30th of May being the day Ojukwu declared Biafra. They report also said that that nothing happened in Nkpor. I saw videos of of several people with gun shot wounds and one person dead in Nkpor on the Radio Biafra website last night. Also, many people called into Radio website giving graphic accounts of the security forces shooting unarmed people. It is highly disturbing that this sort of thing is happening in a country that calls its self giant of Africa. That the security forces can shoot people all over Onitsha is just unbelievable. The videos are on YouTube for all to see

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by freespeech: 9:59pm On May 31, 2016
vedaxcool:
ipob is touts and hoodlums, touts and hoodlums is ipob. Peaceful demonstration wey dynamite dey na peace be that? shior

and you believe Nigerian politicians ? Did you ,or have you ever heard in recent times of Igbo youth blowing up any government buildings or bridges, infrastructure etc ? Surely if they had access to dynamite , they would have used it prior to now ?

Think.....

10 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by dontjealousme: 10:00pm On May 31, 2016
Obiano should leave state house and go to Nkpor. That way he will give us eye witness account that we can believe.

Further, wat do dey have to say about IPOB peaceful protesters held by the military? The once murdered by the military? Amnesty international seems to be doing far more than our representatives. I am disappointed in Eastern Governors and representative.

I did blow them all up!

8 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by CHIJIOKE1314: 10:05pm On May 31, 2016
[s]
WASMOG:
[/s]

No need for insults
'You bared your mind'. .

Thank you..

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by felalegend: 10:13pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

Hoodlum ko. Hoodlums ni.

Remember this http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/201615-kaduna-govt-says-347-shiites-killed-by-nigerian-troops-given-secret-mass-burial.html

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Greatfuture: 10:19pm On May 31, 2016
Harbioollah:

Hoodlum ko. Hoodlums ni.

that army was tried by the el zaky zaky group in zaria and we all know the result. Or is el zaky now ndigbo or is zaria south east. lawlessness is not good

98 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Hisduchess(f): 10:30pm On May 31, 2016
anambraeyes:
Gentlemen of the Press,

1. I convened this conference today to offer some clarifications on the crisis that erupted in Nkpor yesterday between the law enforcement agents and the young men and women who staged a peaceful demonstration under different names to mark the annual Igbo Day. This conference became a necessity following the curious interpretations given to the incident by different segments of the media.

2. However, we are worried that the recent crisis in Nkpor appears to have opened an unpleasant vista on the reportage of issues of grave national importance in the contemporary history of the Nigerian press. We are concerned at how a strain of virulent sensationalism appears to have crept into the various accounts given by different media platforms on the incident (We hope for a more cautionary approach that takes cognizance of the fragile strands of national unity and the supremacy of objectivity over fanciful headlines in professional journalism).

3. It was in a bid to provide a balanced perspective on the matter that we issued a Press Statement yesterday to serve as a guide to journalists whose aim is to provide an objective account on the crisis to the public. Unfortunately, much to our perplexity, a great number of people preferred the sensational to the factual. It is for the purpose of separating the imaginary from the hard facts that we wish to restate as follows –

i. That the peaceful demonstration by youths who allegedly belong to the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to mark the Igbo Day was hijacked by hoodlums whose designs were antithetical to the peace and security of Anambra State.

ii. That these elements who infiltrated the peaceful demonstration, turned violent at Nkpor; fired live bullets at the policemen who were detailed to watch the procession and ensure that it was peaceful and burnt down a patrol van to send a dangerous signal to the entire neighbourhood that Anambra had lost the peace we had all enjoyed for two unbroken years.

iii.
a. Nothing happened inside St Edmunds Catholic Church Nkpor. The confrontation was at a nearby Primary School.
b. No house was burnt. We counted about 2 cars at Eke Nkpor and a motorcycle at Afor Nkpor.
c. His Excellency, Governor Willie Obiano has already expressed his deepest condolences to families who lost their dear ones to this avoidable shootout.
d. Items recovered
i. Dynamite
ii. Charms
iii. Machetes
iv. Banners (IPOB etc)
iv. That the actual number of casualties can be ascertained from the office of the Commissioner of Police in Anambra State as against the curious figures being bandied in the press.
v. That contrary to the sensational report alleging that some citizens who took shelter in a church were murdered in cold blood inside the chapel, no such incident happened in actuality. My team visited Nkpor this morning to verify that claim from the residents and it was dismissed as dubious and misleading. However, there was a gun battle between those criminal infiltrators and the police in the premises of a nearby primary school. We urge the general public to disregard this claim as it is false. It is the duty of the Obiano administration to protect the life and property of every Nigerian resident in Anambra State and a threat to the life of any citizen will be resisted with the strongest possible force.
vi. We want to assure Ndi Anambra that calm has since returned to Nkpor and that people have resumed their normal lives under the re-assuring protection of the law.
vii. We wish to appeal to our colleagues in the media and various Nigerians who have assumed the sacred duty of citizen journalism with their mobile phones to always place national interest far and above other considerations, especially in a season of anomie as the one our dear country has found itself in.
viii. Thank you.

Ogbuefi Tony Nnachetta
Hon Commissioner for Information and Strategy
Anambra State.

Source: http://www.anambrablog.ng/2016/05/the-nkpor-crisis-drawing-line-between.html
op I like ur moniker.u be pure anambra son.anything anambra too dey sweet me I just don't know why

1 Like

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by mayorchelsea(m): 11:22pm On May 31, 2016
Some say it can't happen in the North,it's only in the south.The Shiites who died in Kaduna happened in which region?

34 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by BudeYahooCom: 11:29pm On May 31, 2016
vedaxcool:

muslim?

1 Like

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by BudeYahooCom: 11:30pm On May 31, 2016
WASMOG:

Mr Wasiu, your rants are meaningless!

11 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by donsteady(m): 11:32pm On May 31, 2016
God please interven
Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Flashh: 11:33pm On May 31, 2016
Yeye people.

8 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by bright007(f): 11:33pm On May 31, 2016
k
Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by lifezone247(m): 11:33pm On May 31, 2016
I'm here to read comments.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by NDdking: 11:33pm On May 31, 2016
vedaxcool:
Receive sense

2 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Nkem4040: 11:34pm On May 31, 2016
I posted the below several hours ago and exactly my prediction is happening.

I find it funny how they keep mentioning MASSOB. You won't understand if you cannot reason critically. The government has bribed MASSOB to use it to neutralize IPOB, meaning if the Army kills IPOB members, they will say it was MASSOB members they killed in self defense and they... bribed MASSOB will confirm that yes they only killed our members not IPOB. They will even go as far as justifying their killings that the dead and wounded were hoodlums acting outside of MASSOB guidelines... by arming themselves to harm the Army.

Exactly as I predicted! Critical thinking is important not to be brainwashed.

7 Likes

Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by Dymaco(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2016
dynamite....
*fall down*
obiano sabi lie
Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by manutdrichie(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2016
Ok
Re: Official Statement Of The Anambra State Gov Over Biafra Demonstration In Onitsha by ilovebbwgirl: 11:35pm On May 31, 2016
for those that dose not witness the scene and keep abusing igbo this is what happen when u put mouth in what dose not consign u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCoWsscWw60

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Okorocha, Ganduje, Kenneth Okonkwo At Bola Tinubu's Colloquium / Ex-governor Aliyu Booed And Stoned By Angry Crowd At Inauguration / El-rufai Is Nothing But A Coward And An Alcoholic- Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.