Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,054 members, 7,825,349 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. (4036 Views)

How Benjamin Adekunle Murdered 28 Ibibio Leaders And Buried Them In Mass Grave / Benjamin Adekunle Waterloo; Siege Of Owerri / Benjamin Adekunle’s Interview Sparks Hot Debates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
By Muyiwa Adetiba
I met the man called the Black Scorpion who died a couple of weeks ago, about four times in the 70s. One of them was when I had this interview with him. I thought of sharing my impressions during those meetings but I believe excerpts of my interview done in August 1977, will better capture the essence of him. Enjoy! The Black Scorpion doesn’t sting anymore. His venom was neutralised some three years ago when the Gowon regime retired him from the Army. ‘’My killing days are over”,Brigadier Adekunle affirmed last week at his Surulere residence. ‘’Hitherto I had been labelled as a legalised murderer by the society called Nigerians. General-Benjamin Adekunle Right now, I will do any job that will lead to the saving of souls of fellow Nigerians. Not that I regret my period as a soldier, or my killing days as some people would like to refer to it. But there are certain times when you need to do some reassessments. To be a soldier can be a curse in that you are branded. People look at you as if there is no good in you, as if you are just a blood-thirsty cannibal’’. I took a closer look at him. A slim man, there is nothing particularly menacing about his small frame, except perhaps the slight lifting of the eye brow which gave him a menacing or ferocious look. How did he acquire the acronym: ‘The Black Scorpion?’ He shrugged. ‘’I believe the Western press made a mistake to identify an Octopus as a scorpion and since then it has stuck. You see, the insignia of my battalion was and still is an octopus. I don’t mind. It doesn’t really mean anything to me. I have been branded’’. Another shrug. Talk about branding, he is also seen as a very dangerous man. ‘’Assessments of a human being can be dangerous. If you say I am dangerous in the performance of my duty, as a father I don’t think I am dangerous. If you say I am a radical; yes. If you say I am a disciplinarian, I will believe you. But if you say I am dangerous, I’d like some proof. I was considered a radical in the Army because of my ideas. ‘’Just look outside and see if the people need radical changes or not. Find out if they understand their enemies and their friends. Radicalism is giving the people a new lease of life to the point where they have a sense of pride and belonging to the Nation.’’ Was it the absence of it that caused the collapse of the Gowon regime? ‘’Part of it’’. He answered. ‘’ Any government would fall that way. But there are other reasons like corruption in thoughts, words and deed. Not forgetting of course that he had some good points and achieved some measure of success in certain areas. He was successful in the art of compromise in all his dealings. But he also successfully raped the norms and traditions of the Army with which the Army had hitherto been able to maintain the standard of discipline over and above the common man on the street by prostituting promotion and interfering with discipline.’’ On the issues of the day, Brigadier Adekunle applauded the work of the Constitution Drafting Committee in trying to raise the consciousness of Nigeria to its human resources but disapproved ‘very much’ the proposed two tier legal system’’. ‘’ I am talking about the introduction of the Sharia court of justice. It just can’t work.’’ Another aspect is revenue allocation. The main revenue is from the oil producing areas. Nobody has sat down to find out how these people can be compensated for the loss of their land and the conditions of the people in the oil rich areas. [b]My conclusion is this; there are certain forces in this country that believe in maintaining certain principles—whether political or economic—when it suits them most.’’ He moved on to the new law on secret society and said, ‘’As far as I know, there is no law that can govern the conscience of an individual. Maybe Nigeria will be the first to be successful in her experiment.’’ On the army, he said ‘’ the size of the Army is in line with the political position of Nigeria in Africa. And you can’t tell when there will be peace from when there will be war. America talks to the world the way she does because of its army and the bomb. We don’t have the bomb but we have the human resources. What we should do now is to sharpen our teeth into dangerous fangs. However, no army worth its salt should feel superior to the people it is supposed to protect. The trouble with Nigerians is that they do not understand their rights. Nigerians are so timid that they think that at every corner, a soldier is going to shoot them. Who the hell is the army?’[/b] What have you been doing since you left the army? A shrug. ‘’trying to be a businessman. I have had to adjust as an individual. I wanted to do 22 years in the Army. I only did 14. But I want to make it clear that anybody worth his salt should not be one sided as far as aptitude and capabilities are concerned. Besides, there is some beauty in being a civilian and there are boundless opportunities’’. Was he rich by the time he left the Army? ‘’It depends on what you mean by being rich. I was not rich and still not rich. I didn’t make money during the war’’. On how he became a soldier, he said, ‘’its in the Family and I had a liking for it. I had always been surrounded by uncles and brothers marching all over the damn place’’. Have you ever been close to death? ‘’Several times. When my boat capsized, when I was shot through the pants in an aircraft, when I crashed a plane etc’’ Are you afraid of death? ‘’Yes. I am afraid of a slow death’’.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/killing-days-benjamin-adekunle-black-scorpion/

1 Like

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Likei(m): 4:00pm On Jun 04, 2016
muderer i hope he meets those he has murderd

4 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by mordsith: 5:17pm On Jun 04, 2016
THE NIGERIAN STATE IS LIKE THE BIBLICAL EGYPT, THE GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERATION IS LIKE THE BIBLICAL PHARAOHS, PRESIDENT BUHARI IS LIKE THE EGYPTIAN PHARAOH RAMESSES, THE NIGER DELTA PEOPLE ARE LIKE THE JEWS WHILE THE NIGER DELTA AVENGERS IS MOSES. SO ALL WE ARE ASKING IS LET OUR PEOPLE GO (NIGER DELTANS).

Failing to heed to our demands, the Nigeria state is seeingwhat is happening to Chevron and Shell, the Nigerian elites will suffer in same vein. Know that Chevron and Shell is just the beginningIf the International oil companies and federal government of Nigeria thinks the Niger Delta Avengers are criminal as they claim and fails to meet our demands.The Niger Delta Avengers are going to activate its elite unitTHE NIGER DELTA AIR FORCE code name strike team 1. The International Oil Companies will be our first target, alloil facilities including their offshore platforms eg Bonga Fpso, EA field and their tank farms such as Bonny tank farm, Escravos tank farm and Forcados tank farm.To the Nigeria military we understand you doing your jobbut in the process of doing your job remember you have family back home waiting for your return. The questions you have to ask yourselves are; does the Nigeria state worth it your life? Does the Nigeria state worth dying for?Some of you are our brothers avoiding you is not sign of being lazy. If you dare harass our people we are going to face you. Especially, if you harass any community in search of Avengers. We will come after you and its going to be bloody and mercilessWe are the Niger Delta avengers you (Nigeria Military) arenot going to see us coming but we will get you.
Col. Mudoch Agbinibo
Spokeperson.
Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Toosure70: 8:39pm On Jun 04, 2016
Ekun Oko Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by alizma: 8:40pm On Jun 04, 2016
I don't like it when you give Ipod sleepless night.

4 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 04, 2016
RIP sir ...senior death machine

2 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by seunmsg(m): 9:46pm On Jun 04, 2016
The black scorpion remains one of the very best soldier that Nigeria has produced. Brave, intelligent, fearless, compassionate and gallant. The history of the civil war will never be complete without a mention of his role as the commander of the much dreaded third marine commando.

7 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by mightyhazell: 10:14pm On Jun 04, 2016
Was that b4 or after excrement became his staple course?

4 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Subway1011: 11:06pm On Jun 04, 2016
The black Scorpion. Ojukus nightmare cheesy

4 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by ihitenansa: 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2016
mightyhazell:
Was that b4 or after excrement became his staple course?
grin
Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
he regretted all he did for the Nigerian army cos what he fought for never came to pass

2 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 12, 2016
seunmsg:
The black scorpion remains one of the very best soldier that Nigeria has produced. Brave, intelligent, fearless, compassionate and gallant. The history of the civil war will never be complete without a mention of his role as the commander of the much dreaded third marine commando.
how was he rewarded
Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by tonytony208(m): 7:27am On Jun 13, 2016
ugohemma:
how was he rewarded

Still,history will never forget him. He was the very first person I heard about when I was growing up; that is, whenever issue of the biafran army is being discussed.

1 Like

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Lighthouseman: 11:08pm On Jan 19
he regretted all he did for the Nigerian army cos what he fought for never came to pass
In retrospect,he aligned with what he fought against.
He was one of the greatest losers of the war. No memorial about him.

1 Like

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Cooletempa: 11:26am On Jan 20
My hero. Ekun jagunlabi…….Igbos will never forget him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by gidgiddy: 12:05pm On Jan 20
Cooletempa:
My hero. Ekun jagunlabi…….Igbos will never forget him.

Yeah, the unity beggars who cannot do without Igbos in their long failed 'one Nigeria' will always remember him

2 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Blackfire(m): 12:43pm On Jan 20
The man regretted participating in the war

The side he fought against were right, and the side (north )he fought with disgraced him out of the army

1 Like

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Sccarrr: 12:53pm On Jan 20
Go to one part of the country and shout Adekunle the black scorpion is coming, if then no run 440 ...quote me make I credit ur account...😏

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by LifeofDream: 2:13pm On Jan 20
Blackfire:
The man regretted participating in the war

The side he fought against were right, and the side (north )he fought with disgraced him out of the army
The side he fought against were not right, stop pushing your own narrative..

He was betrayed by Nigeria just like Banjo was betrayed by Biafra..

If Banjo was alive, I know he would've regretted fighting for Biafra just like ojukwu regretted..

2 Likes

Re: My Killing Days Are Over – Benjamin Adekunle, Black Scorpion. by Racoon(m): 2:28pm On Jan 20
Lt Gen TY Danjuma and General Obasanjo military government made sure they frustrated Adekunle Benjamin out of the Nigerian Army.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What God Told Me About Nigeria’s Breakup – Bishop Oyedepo / Tinubu Reaction After Yahya Asked Ekiti People To Vote Fayemi In Pic / Northern Nigeria Is Bleeding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.