Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (105171 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 2:09am On Aug 11, 2016
Hello Experts,

I run a 24V 1.5KVA Luminous Zelios inverter on (4) 12volt 200AH batteries connected together.

When my inverter Back-up time is at 00Hours.00Minutes, My inverter still runs for like 12-14 hours more.

-Could it be that the battery bank is too large than the inverter specification? or What else could be the problem

-Also, Can it be said that am over working the inverter as am using it to charge (4) 200AH 12V batteries
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 6:49am On Aug 11, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Experts,

I run a 24V 1.5KVA Luminous Zelios inverter on (4) 12volt 200AH batteries connected together.

When my inverter Back-up time is at 00Hours.00Minutes, My inverter still runs for like 12-14 hours more.

-Could it be that the battery bank is too large than the inverter specification? or What else could be the problem

-Also, Can it be said that am over working the inverter as am using it to charge (4) 200AH 12V batteries

Do you only charge it with your inverter? I'd suggest you'd have backed it up with solar panels. Well, I'll let the professionals handle this...

Cc Lanjonath, darocha1, Konnektions146, chris81964

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darediamond(m): 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2016
DMerciful:
Advancing away from solar to concentrated electromagnetic flux? What a joke! U want to create a perpetual motion machine? cheesy grin grin grin grin

Joke when you do not widen your horizon. Think deep and wide and you will get liberated.

When last was the Earth hanging upon SOMETHING?

Can you tell me?

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 8:42pm On Aug 11, 2016
Loooooool
darediamond:

Joke when you do not widen your horizon. Think deep and wide and you will get liberated.

When last was the Earth hanging upon SOMETHING?

Can you tell me?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 2:33am On Aug 12, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

Do you only charge it with your inverter? I'd suggest you'd have backed it up with solar panels. Well, I'll let the professionals handle this...

Cc Lanjonath, darocha1, Konnektions146, chris81964

Thank you Mr Moderator.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 2:40am On Aug 12, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Experts,

Eazy on the system man. From your explanation above, i can deduce there's a 48v battery unit connected to a 24v inverter system.
I believe you have the answers to your question already, you only want to hear someone else say it to you again & again.
Yes, you are running a overload unit. The extra back-up time your get is as a result of the back-up batteries connected in parallel.
#MyTake

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 5:39am On Aug 12, 2016
darocha1:

Thank you Mr Moderator.

I'm not a moderator sir.. Just created a thread and was lucky to have it on front page..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by bily(m): 8:06am On Aug 12, 2016
darocha1:

Eazy on the system man. From your explanation above, i can deduce there's a 48v battery unit connected to a 24v inverter system.
I believe you have the answers to your question already, you only want to hear someone else say it to you again & again.
Yes, you are running a overload unit. The extra back-up time your get is as a result of the back-up batteries connected in parallel.
#MyTake

If the batteries are connected in parallel, then how can it be a 48v connected to a24v inverter. Also I do not think it's possible to connect a 48v battery to a 24v inverter, if the inverter does not support such.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 12:17pm On Aug 12, 2016
bily:

If the batteries are connected in parallel, then how can it be a 48v connected to a24v inverter. Also I do not think it's possible to connect a 48v battery to a 24v inverter, if the inverter does not support such.

Series || parallel connection. The 24v in parallel is a back-up
2. Read what the poster said, he mention he has 24v inverter and (4) 12v battery.
3. The inverter mite support it but there's something called OVERLOAD.
Simply cos your generator pumps water with stress doesnt mean it supports it
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by chris81964(m): 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Experts,

Help the people who have been responding to your post clear some confusion.
Your batteries are connected together! How?
Where did you get the back up time from?
When you say too large what do you mean? Too large to charge from your inverter? If your system is 24 V we will assume 400 AH if your connections are one properly. SO explain what you mean too large for the inverter specification.
Running for 12-14 hours. What type of loads are you running?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 1:15pm On Aug 12, 2016
darocha1:

#MyTake

I am not connecting a 48V battery bank to a 24V Inverter as that would have blown the inverter. As stated, I am connecting (4) 12v 200AH batteries. Do you feel am over-working the inverter with such a huge battery bank? Why do i get an extra 12 hours when my inverter already shows 0.00?

Thanks

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 1:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
chris81964:

Help the people who have been responding to your post clear some confusion.

Your batteries are connected together! How? Diagram attached

Where did you get the back up time from? My inverter displays back-up time. Its a luminous Zelios 1500VA

When you say too large what do you mean? Too large to charge from your inverter? If your system is 24 V we will assume 400 AH if your connections are one properly. SO explain what you mean too large for the inverter specification. -What I meant was that hope connecting(4) 12v batteries wont be too much load for the inverter(In terms of charging)?

Running for 12-14 hours. What type of loads are you running?-1 TV, I sound system 1 Fridge, 3 ceiling fans, 3 60w bulbs(Occasionally on)

Thanks

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by chris81964(m): 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2016
shamecurls:

Thanks
Your counter could be defective.
What is the size of the AC charger and how long can you wait for it to fully charge? What does the manual say?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
chris81964:

Your counter could be defective.
What is the size of the AC charger and how long can you wait for it to fully charge? What does the manual say?

15amps and it takes about 10 hours for it to fully charge the (4) 12v batteries
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 11:33am On Aug 16, 2016
Lanjonath:
You'll need 4 250W Solar Panels
1 40A mppt charge controller
Solar Panel Mounting Rails
1 Lightening protector

the described system should fully charge your batteries with 6 hours of god sunlight.

and that's about it. feel free to email me: Lanjonath@hotmail.com

4*250 =1000 watts to charge 2 batteries? You did not even bother to ask about his batteries Ah rating. O ga o
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
DMerciful:
Alternative power sources like inverter/batteries and solar are for powering light load esp for convenience. They cannot economically replace public power supply when the load becomes large. For 3 bedroom flats , 5 energy bulbs is enuf at any particular time, 1 freezer is enuf to run for 5hours per day, 1 led TV and prob 2 rechargeable fans(they are more energy efficient). A 300w* 4 solar panels, 40a epsolar charge controller, 1.5kva sulkam inverter, 4*200AH batteries and you're good. If you need specifics...hala me

You make my day bro with this, I particularly like the word 'convenience' , reasonable convenience. Because solar is referred to as free doesn't mean it can power everything in your life, unless you REALLY have the money to throw around. A lot of so called engineers don't say the truth because of money , in no time owners become frustrated because they can't see what they were promised before they part with their money. Solar does work, I'm in support of DIY, even if an engineer come to install for you (always good for first timers). Pls don't hesitate to ask question, get to know how each of the components work, always demand that a meter be install if your controller doesn't have one. Ask about how to use your system to get the best out of it and last. Ask questions, solar is good and can give convenience but can not power your walk or your sleep, stop the dream and do the needful. Follow every detail and instructions given to you by your installer.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Lanjonath(m): 3:19pm On Aug 17, 2016
I assumed the batteries were 200ah, four 250W solar panels will adequately charge it, 3 would work but i'd rather go with 4.

3276reliance:

4*250 =1000 watts to charge 2 batteries? You did not even bother to ask about his batteries Ah rating. O ga o
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
Lanjonath:
I assumed the batteries were 200ah, four 250W solar panels will adequately charge it, 3 would work but i'd rather go with 4.

I don't like dragging issues, but I have to say 1000 watts panels to 2* 12v 200Ah is a waste
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by chris81964(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
3276reliance:

I don't like dragging issues, but I have to say 1000 watts panels to 2* 12v 200Ah is a waste

How did you reach that conclusion? Do you know how he intends to use the power generated from his PV?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Lanjonath(m): 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2016
Well that's your opinion, in mine, it's just perfect

3276reliance:

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by battleaxe: 7:34am On Aug 18, 2016
3276reliance:

With 4 to 5 hours of sunlight daily, you can get 4,000 to 5,000Wh of energy from 4nos X 250W solar panels.

With 2 nos, 12V 200Ah batteries, you can store 4800Wh of energy.

That's on the assumption that he drains down his batteries and needs them fully recharged daily. If he has a 50% draw, then yes the batteries would get charged faster and would be happier on days with lower sunlight.

I think its a perfect match. I'll leave the experts to talk.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 8:29am On Aug 18, 2016
Please do not forget, those 250 W(peak) indication is under STC = Standard Test Condition, e.g. pressure, temperature, and 1000 W/m2 irradiation.
So when the module is exposed to the sun, the modules will get hot, approx. 70-80°C (you can boil eggs on them!)
The silicon has a negative power coefficient, e.g. - 0,5 %/Kelvin. So if the module is 50 Kelvin hotter than STC, the module is 25% less efficient.
250 W(peak) -> 250 W(peak) * (1 - 25%) = 187 Watts
This coefficient is dependent on the cell type. Thin film has lower coefficient and is better for deserts. You find those figures on the name/type plate on the backside of your module.

4 x 187 Watts = 748 Watts * system efficiency of 80% = approx. 600 Watts into batteries

System efficiency takes into account of inefficiency of controller, cable resistance, heat loss when loading the batteries, and discharging the batteries.

Depending on the load I guess 50% of the PV power is used directly and 50% is stored?!

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Lanjonath(m): 9:28am On Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for explaining it to him, 250W is the solar panels peak power and this will drop during the day as the solar panels get hotter.

iLoveTheSun:
Please do not forget, those 250 W(peak) indication is under STC = Standard Test Condition, e.g. pressure, temperature, and 1000 W/m2 irradiation.
So when the module is exposed to the sun, the modules will get hot, approx. 70-80°C (you can boil eggs on them!)
The silicon has a negative power coefficient, e.g. - 0,5 %/Kelvin. So if the module is 50 Kelvin hotter than STC, the module is 25% less efficient.
250 W(peak) -> 250 W(peak) * (1 - 25%) = 187 Watts
This coefficient is dependent on the cell type. Thin film has lower coefficient and is better for deserts. You find those figures on the name/type plate on the backside of your module.

4 x 187 Watts = 748 Watts * system efficiency of 80% = approx. 600 Watts into batteries

System efficiency takes into account of inefficiency of controller, cable resistance, heat loss when loading the batteries, and discharging the batteries.

Depending on the load I guess 50% of the PV power is used directly and 50% is stored?!

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 11:18am On Aug 18, 2016
chris81964:

How did you reach that conclusion? Do you know how he intends to use the power generated from his PV?

I like your question sir, he did not ask the guy either HOW he intend to use the generated power, which I highlighted in my first observation.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 11:54am On Aug 18, 2016
3276reliance:

Hi bro, its a forum. different people with their own understanding but pls easy with your words.
thanks man

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 11:56am On Aug 18, 2016
3276reliance:

I like your question sir, he did not ask the guy either HOW he intend to use the generated power, which I highlighted in my first observation.

lol. i think the question was directed to you cos you termed 1000w a waste
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
[/quote]

That's on the assumption that he drains down his batteries and needs them fully recharged daily. If he has a 50% draw, then yes the batteries would get charged faster and would be happier on days with lower sunlight.
I think its a perfect match. I'll leave the experts to talk. [/quote]

Let me tell you who I am not, I AM NOT WHAT YOU CALL GURU. But I know what I know. I will NEVER advise anyone to push their batteries below 50%. So if you wake up with half the capacity of these 2 batteries, pls tell me why you need 1000 watts panels to push 2400 watts back into the batteries considering all these inefficiencies..

I have read several posts here and elsewhere from many of you like Chris81964 and co where you have recommended panels for batteries. I'm not here to argue, I believe we learn everyday, but my stand remains there is a waste in this setup, unless of course its meant to be generated and used during the day for business, for which it would not matter if the panels are up to 2000 watts!
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
darocha1:

Hi bro, its a forum. different people with their own understanding but pls easy with your words.
thanks man

Can you highlight the exact word you mean sir, waiting to apologize.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by melvyano: 8:25am On Aug 19, 2016
iPOWERPLUS inverters are back in large stock contact 08031813497/ made for Nigeria by the manufacturers of zinox computers Nigeria's first internationally certified OEM

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 6:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
I see some knowledge gap here! When a panel is rated 250W apart from this peak power being achieved at STC, the sum beam must be normal to surface of solar panel to achieve peak power. Unless the panel has a tracking system, maximum you get throughout the day is average of 60% due to varying degree of the sun on the horizon from dawn till dusk.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 6:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
I see some knowledge gap here! When a panel is rated 250W apart from this peak power being achieved at STC, the sun beam must be normal to surface of solar panel to achieve peak power. Unless the panel has a tracking system, maximum you get throughout the day is average of 60% due to varying degree of the sun on the horizon from dawn till dusk.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
@DMerciful
In general you do understand the issue correctly!

There is also NOTC or NTC (= Normal Testing Condition, or so?!?). This is rather a real world indication, because it only indicates 80% of the peak power.
What STC means, is a value measured in the laboratory around the world. Either the module is manufactured in Sweden/Norway or in South Africa or in Arizona, USA. It's always the same testing condition, so that you are able to compare the product. But depending on the place of installation, e.g. in the desert of UAE or in the forest of Canada, it has different real-life performance.
When STC is measured there are LED lights that are flashing for a fraction of a second 1000 Watts/m2 onto the solar panel. The solar irradiation is 1000 W/m2 hitting the module in a 90° degree. But, as you suggested correctly, the modules are in the real world inclined x° degrees, depending on the latitude on our Mother Earth! (= normally 90° - x° or 0° + x° latitude of the specific location).

So, let us assume you do have two similar solar installations. One is facing East, the other one is facing West with the same inclination. Guess, which solar installation will perform better on an annual basis? Right! The one facing to the East, because you have mentioned the points.

STC is just an indication for a moment. In the northern hemisphere, where you have frost/ice in the spring and sunshine at the same time, then you may get more than STC! ...this can happen in Canada. But not in Equatorial area.
That's why vendors should always indicate "x Watts(peak*) *@STC" = no misunderstanding.

I hope it does help not to have too high expectations.

sunny regards,

iLoveTheSun

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply)

Sloth Caught In My School Today / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.