Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Christianity: Unconditional Love - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity: Unconditional Love (4187 Views)

A Gospel of TRUTH, UNITY & UNCONDITIONAL LOVE / God's Unconditional Love For Us. / If God's Love Is Unconditional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by malvisguy212: 11:17pm On Jun 08, 2016
udatso:

I think your comparison is flawed. If a parents disciplines a child, it's for correction purpose. But is it Thesame when a non believer will be in hellfire for ever? How will he learn from his mistake?
let me ask you, is it wrong for me to preach against sin and it consequence ? Does it mean, I don't love you just because I preach against sin and the punishment ? You don't know what you are saying here, that is why this atheist are in support with you, so God should not cast anyone to hell ? If Allah is merciful, why will he cast sinner to hell ? He is not merciful, the simple answer to this is, He is merciful that is why he is finding a way for you to escape the punishment of hell. If I did not known you, I would've ask , are you an atheist ?
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by malvisguy212: 11:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
udatso:
For the record, malvisguy212 has been ignoring my questions. You have the time to quote cloudgoddess. Just incase you didn't see the mention, I will repost them here again

Malvisguy212
Considering the fact that in your reply you didn't address the coloured, should I assume you agree with me on this?

you give your own interpretation which is wrong, the verse did not say, man cannot separate us from God, the verse say say SUFFERING and PAIN cannot separate us from God love.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 11:28pm On Jun 08, 2016
malvisguy212:
let me ask you, is it wrong for me to preach against sin and it consequence ? Does it mean, I don't love you just because I preach against sin and the punishment ?
Did I in anyway suggest that preaching against sin is wrong?

You don't know what you are saying here,
Actually I do.
that is why this atheist are in support with you,
I don't care about what atheist say. I am not here for them.
so God should not cast anyone to hell ?
Of course He should. But of course, those who are cast to hell are not loved by God as a result of their actions and inactions.

If Allah is merciful, why will he cast sinner to hell ? He is not merciful, the simple answer to this is, He is merciful that is why he is finding a way for you to escape the punishment of hell. If I did not known you, I would've ask , are you an atheist ?
Let me make this very clear to you. Allah is merciful to those who err and ask for His forgiveness. He is loving to those who repent. But He will punish those who didn't. This is exactly what am trying to point out to you in your Bible that God's love in all religions is conditional. You can't claim unconditional and be using if statement. That's my point.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 11:36pm On Jun 08, 2016
malvisguy212:
you give your own interpretation which is wrong, the verse did not say, man cannot separate us from God, the verse say say SUFFERING and PAIN cannot separate us from God love.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 12:07am On Jun 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
Please be careful with your utterances. Where did I state the bold?
My interpretations where gotten from
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/romans/8-38.htm
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/romans-8-39.html

You can check it out for yourself. John gills, Barnes, Mathew Henry and many other commentators translated it the way I did which is summarised as the bonding factor for the love of God is in Christ, once this bond is established, nothing else can break it. Be it angels, humans, other beings. ........

So how am I wrong in the way your scholars translated it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 12:39am On Jun 09, 2016
Here's another condition in the for the Bible God Love in the old testament
Deuteronomy 7:12-13

IF you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them (condition statement) then the LORD your God will keep his covenant of love with you, (execution statement) as he swore to your forefathers. He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land-your grain, new wine and oil-the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by malvisguy212: 8:01am On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

Of course He should. But of course, those who are cast to hell are not loved by God as a result of their actions and inactions.

Very good, The bible God is different from the quranic allah. The bible say it not the will of God that ANY Should perish, but ALL should come to REPENTANCE. Going to hell does not mean God does not Love you,He love you that's why he provide way for you to chose. If you chose to go against God will, so it God fault ? God did not love you ? Well, that's not my god, the God I serve is different from the one you serve.

Allah is merciful to those who accept the truth, what about the unbelievers living among us ? Did Allah love them ?
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by OgundeleT(m): 8:14am On Jun 09, 2016
Scholar8200:
So, a law such as,"dont stay out late at night" given because the father knows the dangers that the child might be exposed to is a sign of a conditional love?
if such a father is omni omni according to your bible then it is still conditional, your omniscient god foreknown this event and he even know the child will still disobey but seize to act despite his potency as omnipotent god? such a love is still conditional. he foreknown and still warn but seize to do anything despite the power he has? then it is conditional
Scholar8200:

I dont think so. Rather it is a sign of love. If the child disobeys and gets attacked, will you count that a punishment from the father?
remember this is a man that know everything and can do anything. if i were to be a father like ur acclaimed god nothing will hurt my child because i will use my power to protect them but if i seize to do that despite my power to do anything then i deserve not to be a father
Scholar8200:

Rather I see it as an expression of love that realizes that there are more than just you too in the whole universe and not all loves the child just as the father does! Besides the father's unconditional love calls for the rebuke. The father does not rebuke the son so that the latter would change and become lovable; he rebukes because he loves the son so much and would not bear to watch him destroy himself!

You rebuke your brother because you love him, crystal clear!

Not that you rebuke your brother so that he can become lovable when he changes. This is clear enough.
see next time you people want to describe your god stop using human as an example, this ur god has power as you people have claimed while human dont have.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by OgundeleT(m): 8:24am On Jun 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
has atheism block your sense of reasoning ? I wept for you, so after the father has commanded the son NOT to go out at night, the son disobey and got attack by robbers, you will blame the father ? Are you guys insane ? Smh
armed robber will attack the person and not the father unlike god that will burn the person. beside, with the power you people claimed your god have if and he allow robbers attack the person then such a god has given such a child a condition and to me he deserve not to be a father. so open ur brain and stop reading bible because it will always block your reasoning
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by malvisguy212: 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

Please be careful with your utterances. Where did I state the bold?
My interpretations where gotten from
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/romans/8-38.htm
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/romans-8-39.html

You can check it out for yourself. John gills, Barnes, Mathew Henry and many other commentators translated it the way I did which is summarised as the bonding factor for the love of God is in Christ, once this bond is established, nothing else can break it. Be it angels, humans, other beings. ........

So how am I wrong in the way your scholars translated it
it is the subject and not the object, let me give you an example, look at how terrorist are killing christians, isis and boko haram. is that Paul spells out the
kinds of things that cannot separate us from the love of Christ, and they are the sort of things that happened t Everyday: "Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?" The reason Paul chose to mention so many terrible things is to make sure we knew he was not saying: Well, there are some things so horrible that they really could separate us from the love of Christ. No. Nothing can separate us from Christ’s love.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 11:23am On Jun 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
Very good, The bible God is different from the quranic allah. The bible say it not the will of God that ANY Should perish, but ALL should come to REPENTANCE. Going to hell does not mean God does not Love you,He love you that's why he provide way for you to chose. If you chose to go against God will, so it God fault ? God did not love you ? Well, that's not my god, the God I serve is different from the one you serve.

Allah is merciful to those who accept the truth, what about the unbelievers living among us ? Did Allah love them ?
I don't know how long I am going to keep repeating this to you. I have proved it that there isn't unconditional lovein the Bible. You can chose to accept it or deny it.
udatso:

IF you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them (condition statement) then the LORD your God will keep his covenant of love with you, (execution statement) as he swore to your forefathers. He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land-your grain, new wine and oil-the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you.
There are many more of this

If Allah hates you, would probably be destroyed or never existed Etc but He is giving you the chance to repent so He can forgive you your sins. This love is conditional, if you die without accepting the conditions, you won't get any love but punishment .
In Islam we don't shy in telling you the reality. Despite all the verses in the Bible showing God's love is conditional, you choose to reject it and keep screaming God's love is unconditional. The choice is yours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 11:41am On Jun 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
it is the subject and not the object, let me give you an example, look at how terrorist are killing christians, isis and boko haram. is that Paul spells out the
kinds of things that cannot separate us from the love of Christ, and they are the sort of things that happened t Everyday: "Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?" The reason Paul chose to mention so many terrible things is to make sure we knew he was not saying: Well, there are some things so horrible that they really could separate us from the love of Christ. No. Nothing can separate us from Christ’s love.
I told you the translation wasn't mine.
Here is an extract from gills commentary
shall be able to separate us the love of God, which is in Christ
Jesus our Lord:
by "the love of God", is not meant the saints' love to God; for though this is sometimes called the love of God, it is from him, as the author of it, and to him, as the object of it, and may be said to be in Christ, or by him, and can never be lost; yet the apostle would not have expressed such a strong confidence and full persuasion about this, and would rather have said, had this been his meaning, that nothing shall be able to separate our love from God, or God from our love, and not us from the love of God; besides, he is speaking of that love by which we are more than conquerors, and manifestly intends the love with which God loves his people, particularly the love of God the Father: and this is "in Christ Jesus our Lord"; he has expressed it in and through Christ, in choosing and blessing them in him, and in sending him to die for them; and it still continues in him, and is in him as their Lord, head, husband, and Redeemer; and is a reason why nothing can separate them from it: which is to be understood, not of the effects of love, and the application of it, which may be suspended for a time; nor of the manifestation and sense of it, which believers may be without for a while; nor of any sort of separation from God, for saints themselves may be separated from him, with respect to intimate sensible communion and fellowship; but the sense of this passage is, that they can never be separated from the love of God, so as that that union which is made by it between God and them can ever be dissolved, or they cease to have any share or interest in his love. This the apostle was persuaded could never be.
At bold. It tells us that nothing can seperate this love from God. This however makes it clear that the love is through jesus Christ ; we all know what that means. Accepting his dying on the cross.. ...and all that.
This is the condition. I don't know why you have to keep denying an obvious truth.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
From the link I gave you, here's another interpretation
Nor any other creature — Above or beneath, in heaven, earth, or hell: nothing beneath the Almighty. In this general clause the apostle includes whatever else could be named, as having any influence to separate believers from the love of God, exercised toward them through Christ: shall be able — Either by force, Romans 8:35, or by any legal claim, Romans 8:33, &c., to separate us from the love of God in Christ — Which will surely save, protect, and deliver us, who believe, and persevere so to do, i
The summary : the love is available for those who believe ........
My dear malvisguy212, that's what we call condition.
Mind you these interpretations aren't mine oo. Before you accuse me of misinterpretation. They are from your scholars.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

I think your comparison is flawed. If a parent disciplines a child, it's for correction purpose. But is it Thesame when a non believer will be in hellfire for ever? How will he learn from his mistake?

But the person chose hell when he chose to reject God inspite of all attempts to discourage that choice?!

A father does all he can to make sure his kids get educated but they choose to play truants and eventually become criminals/murderers and land in court, turns out their father was also the judge and he sentences them to death (the consequence of their actions as prescribed by the law), would you still blame the father for not loving them?

DID THE FATHER HATE THE SON WHEN HE MADE HIM BEAR THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE SIN OF THE WORLD?NO!

YES, HE WITHDREW HIS PRESENCE BUT DID HE WITHDRAW HIS LOVE? NO!

46 that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Matthew 27:46b

Now you may say God made the laws in this case but would you assume that love = lawlessness/nihilistic indulgence? Or that Love is meant to make us escape the consequence of our choices to be unconditional?
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

Speaking of covenant. But let's see this:

7 The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8 But because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 7:7,8

This was said before they even entered the land of promise. At this time were they faithful and obedient people? NO. See the condition of their hearts:

for I know their imagination which they go about, [size=14pt]even now, before I have brought them into the land which I sware.[/size]

And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deuteronomy 31:21b,16

Yet HE loved them still and commanded a song to be written that will serve as both a warning and a remembrance.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by malvisguy212: 3:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

From the link I gave you, here's another interpretation

The summary : the love is available for those who believe ........
My dear malvisguy212, that's what we call condition.
Mind you these interpretations aren't mine oo. Before you accuse me of misinterpretation. They are from your scholars.
nice one scholar. No need to reply you, read scholar post one more time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 5:55pm On Jun 09, 2016
Scholar8200:

But the person chose hell when he chose to reject God inspite of all attempts to discourage that choice?!

A father does all he can to make sure his kids get educated but they choose to play truants and eventually become criminals/murderers and land in court, turns out their father was also the judge and he sentences them to death (the consequence of their actions as prescribed by the law), would you still blame the father for not loving them?

DID THE FATHER HATE THE SON WHEN HE MADE HIM BEAR THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE SIN OF THE WORLD?NO!

YES, HE WITHDREW HIS PRESENCE BUT DID HE WITHDRAW HIS LOVE? NO!

46 that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Matthew 27:46b
Now you are bringing a totally different example here. We were talking about this your post below.

Scholar8200:
So, a law such as,"dont stay out late at night" given because the father knows the dangers that the child might be exposed to is a sign of a conditional love? I dont think so. Rather it is a sign of love. If the child disobeys and gets attacked, will you count that a punishment from the father?
Rather I see it as an expression of love that realizes that there are more than just you too in the whole universe and not all loves the child just as the father does! Besides the father's unconditional love calls for the rebuke. The father does not rebuke the son so that the latter would change and become lovable; he rebukes because he loves the son so much and would not bear to watch him destroy himself!

You rebuke your brother because you love him, crystal clear!

Not that you rebuke your brother so that he can become lovable when he changes. This is clear enough.

In this example above, we talked about rebuking for correction so that the son or brother would be loveable again. But in this your recent example it's not about rebuking him to be loves again but to be rebuked forever. Hellfire.

Let's face reality here. This isnt nollywood. In most cases(if not all) , if a dad is the judge of a family member's case, the Judge would be disqualified and the Case handed to another judge due to the fact that emotions and compromise are in play here. Even if the judge is allowed to precide over the case, if it comes to capital punishment for the son, I doubt a father would do such. He would rather withdraw and have another judge make such decisions.
Now you may say God made the laws in this case but would you assume that love = lawlessness/nihilistic indulgence? Or that Love is meant to make us escape the consequence of our choices to be unconditional?
Which is Why I am trying to make you understand that the moment you call such unconditional, anything is possible. God is love as expressed in the Bible, but that doesnt mean that's All He is. God equally hates. He has said it in the Bible in so many verses ....here are some of them
Psalm 5:4-6
4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
with you the wicked cannot dwell.
5 The arrogant cannot stand in your presence;
you hate all who do wrong.

6 You destroy those who tell lies;
bloodthirsty and deceitful men
the LORD abhors.

Psalm 11:5
5 The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 6:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
Scholar8200:
Speaking of covenant. But let's see this:

7 The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8 But because the Lord loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the Lord brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 7:7,8

This was said before they even entered the land of promise. At this time were they faithful and obedient people? NO. See the condition of their hearts:

for I know their imagination which they go about, [size=14pt]even now, before I have brought them into the land which I sware.[/size]

And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deuteronomy 31:21b,16

Yet HE loved them still and commanded a song to be written that will serve as both a warning and a remembrance.

Why don't we also look at the verse 9-12

9 Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

10 And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.

11 Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.

12 Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the Lord thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:

13 And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

My point here isn'twhether He later lived them, but the fact that there was a condition for them to be loved. That's the obvious truth we can't run away from

1 Like

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

Why don't we also look at the verse 9-12

9 Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

10 And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.

11 Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.

12 Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the Lord thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:

13 And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

My point here isn'twhether He later lived them, but the fact that there was a condition for them to be loved. That's the obvious truth we can't run away from
And what condition did they fulfill here before the highlighted was said:

8 But because the Lord loved you,
Deuteronomy 7:7,8a

Hear God:

When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

4[b] I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love[/b]: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
Hosea 11:1-4

The use of a child there is to illustrate the nature of love: a father does not love his kids because of some conditions they fulfill!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

Now you are bringing a totally different example here. We were talking about this your post below.

In this example above, we talked about rebuking for correction so that the son or brother would be loveable again. But in this your recent example it's not about rebuking him to be loves again but to be rebuked forever. Hellfire.
God does not rebuke that you may become lovable. He rebukes because He loves. Now, is hell fire a place of rebuke? or a place one gets to as a result of the choices made on earth?

Let's face reality here. This isnt nollywood. In most cases(if not all) , if a dad is the judge of a family member's case, the Judge would be disqualified and the Case handed to another judge due to the fact that emotions and compromise are in play here. Even if the judge is allowed to precide over the case, if it comes to capital punishment for the son, I doubt a father would do such. He would rather withdraw and have another judge make such decisions.
That is as far as man is concerned. Man may withdraw/compromise judgement due to emotion etc but not with God. For example, David was a man after God's heart, but did God spare him from the consequence of his adultery and murder? Of Solomon, it was written:
and he called his name Solomon: and the Lord loved him.(2 Samuel 12:24b), but was he spared when he descended to idolatry?

Which is Why I am trying to make you understand that the moment you call such unconditional, anything is possible. God is love as expressed in the Bible, but that doesnt mean that's All He is. God equally hates. He has said it in the Bible in so many verses ....here are some of them
Psalm 5:4-6
4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
with you the wicked cannot dwell.
5 The arrogant cannot stand in your presence;
you hate all who do wrong.

6 You destroy those who tell lies;
bloodthirsty and deceitful men
the LORD abhors.

Psalm 11:5
5 The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.

[/quote] Indeed, God is angry with the wicked everyday (Psalm 7:11), but that does not negate the fact that He, in love, withholds deserved judgement with the expectation that they will repent

The Lord does not delay and is not tardy or slow about what He promises, according to some people’s conception of slowness, but He is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward you, not desiring that any should perish, but that all should turn to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

and also

11 Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
Ezekiel 33:11

Now see love exuding therefrom! The Lord hates the wicked in the same way a parent will be very grieved and upset towards a child he/she loves but is bent on going the path of self-destruction! How do i know this? If it is a case of animosity or malice, then God would simply wipe them out sans chance or room/hope for repentance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
Scholar8200:
And what condition did they fulfill here before the highlighted was said:

8 But because the Lord loved you,
Deuteronomy 7:7,8a

Hear God:

When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

4[b] I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love[/b]: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
Hosea 11:1-4

The use of a child there is to illustrate the nature of love: a father does not love his kids because of some conditions they fulfill!
No matter how we talk about this, we will always arrive at the conditions. It's mosaic covenant was made with them. And they broke the covenant as we can see in
II Kings 17:7-8

For so it was that the children of Israel had sinned against the LORD their God, who had brought them up out of the land of Egypt, . . . and they had feared other gods, and had walked in the statutes of the nations whom the LORD had cast out from before the children of Israel.

And the Lord was very angry with them and below was what happened next
2 Kings 17:18-20

18 Therefore the Lord was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only.

19 Also Judah kept not the commandments of the Lord their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made.

20 And the Lord rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight.

So you see, after they disobeyed God, the love covenant was gone.

Could you please give me a reference showing how God loved them after they disobeyed Him?
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 8:47pm On Jun 09, 2016
Scholar8200:
God does not rebuke that you may become lovable. He rebukes because He loves. Now, is hell fire a place of rebuke? or a place one gets to as a result of the choices made on earth?
Nor you see why I told you the example is not compatible.
That is as far as man is concerned. Man may withdraw/compromise judgement due to emotion etc but not with God. For example, David was a man after God's heart, but did God spare him from the consequence of his adultery and murder? Of Solomon, it was written:
and he called his name Solomon: and the Lord loved him.(2 Samuel 12:24b), but was he spared when he descended to idolatry?
So in this case is it okay to say a human can love without condition. A son may Kill people but the father would still love him. But due to the fact that God doesn't compromise judgement, such a person if he doesn't repent won't find it funny with God.
There's no denying God loves us all, which is why we all have the opportunity to repent. In the Hebrew 8 ref that I gave malvisguy, Paul described in the verse That The saints, the Christians or those who have given their life to Christ won't be separated from the love from God. As a matter of fact as the Bible commentators interpreted it, not even principalities, time, space, other order of beings.. ..etc can separate them from the love from God. This means those who don't belong to this category will be separated from the love of God.
It means there are those who won't be loved by the Christian God according to the Bible. Hence the condition.

Indeed, God is angry with the wicked everyday (Psalm 7:11), but that does not negate the fact that He, in love, withholds deserved judgement with the expectation that they will repent
So you agree with me now, God isn't all love, also hate those who don't meet certain requirements?

The Lord does not delay and is not tardy or slow about what He promises, according to some people’s conception of slowness, but He is long-suffering (extraordinarily patient) toward you, not desiring that any should perish, but that all should turn to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

and also

11 Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
Ezekiel 33:11

Now see love exuding therefrom! The Lord hates the wicked in the same way a parent will be very grieved and upset towards a child he/she loves but is bent on going the path of self-destruction! How do i know this? If it is a case of animosity or malice, then God would simply wipe them out sans chance or room/hope for repentance.

This is equally what I told malvisguy too. Am glad we agree on this

God loves everyone at the initial stage(on earth) but there are things that you would do that would affect this love even though it's not His fault . If it was a thing of malice, no non believer would be on the surface of the earth. But instead He gives us the time to repent and come back to Himand obey Him. That's where the condition comes in which is to be satisfied in this world and the result announced in the hereafter. In the after life there would be those who retained His love and those who Lost His love.

In summary: Him allowing us to live our life, giving us time to repent is His Love , His punishing the unrepentant is His wrath and not love .
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
BTW, Does God love Satan according to the Bible?
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
^^The Bible is God's message neither to angels nor devils but man. Hence, I cannot answer that question.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 9:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 9:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
udatso:

No matter how we talk about this, we will always arrive at the conditions. It's mosaic covenant was made with them. And they broke the covenant as we can see in
II Kings 17:7-8

For so it was that the children of Israel had sinned against the LORD their God, who had brought them up out of the land of Egypt, . . . and they had feared other gods, and had walked in the statutes of the nations whom the LORD had cast out from before the children of Israel.

And the Lord was very angry with them and below was what happened next
2 Kings 17:18-20

18 Therefore the Lord was very angry with Israel, and removed them out of his sight: there was none left but the tribe of Judah only.

19 Also Judah kept not the commandments of the Lord their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made.

20 And the Lord rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight.

So you see, after they disobeyed God, the love covenant was gone.

Could you please give me a reference showing how God loved them after they disobeyed Him?

Love covenant?Gone? Where did you get these from?

14 Also all the chiefs of the priests and the people trespassed greatly in accord with [size=13pt]all the abominations of the heathen, and they polluted the house of the Lord which He had hallowed in Jerusalem.[/size]
15 And the Lord, the God of their fathers, sent to them persistently by His messengers, because He had compassion on His people and on His dwelling place.
2 Chronicles 36:14,15

It is the Love of God that, in spite of how hopelessly far down they had gone, withheld judgement but rather sent messengers to warn them that they may repent!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 9:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
I will reply later. Very busy
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2016
Scholar8200:

Love covenant?Gone? Where did you get these from?

14 Also all the chiefs of the priests and the people trespassed greatly in accord with [size=13pt]all the abominations of the heathen, and they polluted the house of the Lord which He had hallowed in Jerusalem.[/size]
15 And the Lord, the God of their fathers, sent to them persistently by His messengers, because He had compassion on His people and on His dwelling place.
2 Chronicles 36:14,15

It is the Love of God that, in spite of how hopelessly far down they had gone, withheld judgement but rather sent messengers to warn them that they may repent!
I am referring to the mosaic covenant.
It was an obey my Laws amd I will love you kind of convenant. This issue of covenant actually brings out something new.
The word, "covenant," is briyth (ber-eeth), in Hebrew, defined as, "a compact," an agreement between parties.

It carries legal authority whereby both parties are constrained (obligated) by conditions within the covenant. It is always conditional on each of the parties fulfilling his/her part of the covenant/compact.

A covenant is always conditional. No? If it is conditional then God doesn't love unconditionally.
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2016
Scholar8200:
^^The Bible is God's message neither to angels nor devils but man. Hence, I cannot answer that question.
The reason you can't answer it is because of your current stand of unconditional love of God. Because you know that there are serious implications in either YES OR NO reply
Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by udatso: 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2016
Let's see what the Bible says
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love” (John 15:9-10).

If we obey His commands, we will remain in His love. By implication, if we do not obey His commands we will not remain in his love. Again we see that God loves those who obey the teachings and commands of the Lord Jesus and they will remain in God’s love as they obey his commands, just as Jesus did.

So why are you trying to deny this point that is so obvious in the Bible?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2016
udatso:

The reason you can't answer it is because of your current stand of unconditional love of God. Because you know that there are serious implications in either YES OR NO reply

That's your assumption.

Man/the world of men, not angels or devils, is God's audience in the Word. There we read of God's dealings and relation to man.

That is why the Bible starts with not how, when or why God created angels, but man.

Asking about that which is extra-biblical and expecting an answer is an invitation to make erroneous assumptions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christianity: Unconditional Love by Scholar8200(m): 2:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
udatso:

I am referring to the mosaic covenant.
It was an obey my Laws amd I will love you kind of convenant.
That's not correct. Was the quote from Deuteronomy of God's love given after the people had obeyed God or before?

This issue of covenant actually brings out something new.
The word, "covenant," is briyth (ber-eeth), in Hebrew, defined as, "a compact," an agreement between parties.

It carries legal authority whereby both parties are constrained (obligated) by conditions within the covenant. It is always conditional on each of the parties fulfilling his/her part of the covenant/compact.

A covenant is always conditional. No? If it is conditional then God doesn't love unconditionally.

The covenant was a derivative of God's promise to Abraham, no more, no less.

God did not make a covenant with them hoping that they would obey so that He can love them??!!! That's absurd!

Besides, does a man love his wife because she said 'I do'' or before she said "I do" ?

Now did God hate all others since He did not make a covenant with them? Job, for example was not an Israelite and he was greatly blessed by God!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Interpretation Of The Dream Of Seeing Washed Bitter Leaf? / Are Catholic Xtians? / Releasing Gods Power Through Fasting And Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.