Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? (9058 Views)

Iceland Tests ‘floating’ Zebra Crossing To Slow Down Speeding Drivers / How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by boladez(m): 7:05am On Jun 09, 2016
I think there is a problem with the Black man's DNA....especially Nigerians and Lagosians.......Nigerians generally would chose to do whatever he pleases and he is always right and cannot be challenged or corrected.

same reason when you want to change lane or turn and once you indicate , the car behind you honks or speeds up to make sure you do not make the turn.

The Driver is not willing to stop, if he stops he risks being rear ended.

The pedestrian trots carelessly and gleefully rather than walking briskly...as if to say if dem born your father dont stop!

The Two statements above then lead to a battle of wits and playing chicken at the pedestrian crossings.

Bottom line ..act safe, watch your back before you stop and watch the road and all lanes before you cross.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by x6blade(m): 7:08am On Jun 09, 2016
And over here people sleep on zebra crossing.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by coolfredo(m): 7:13am On Jun 09, 2016
goodforsomthing:

Enjoy your day,it is well with you
thank U so much.. It is well with U too
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by goodforsomthing: 7:16am On Jun 09, 2016
Must of our driving schoosl in Nigeria are not standard, just to teach you how to drive and collect their pay because they can't teach the rule that they themselves did not not.

Thank GOD for gift of life,

#makingmoneywithmynaijabetaccount#

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Larryfest(m): 7:16am On Jun 09, 2016
As funny as the comments here sounds i think its the truth you why? Firstly how well do u see the zebra crossings on our roads?
Secondly how well has the govt made these traffic rules known to people(not just drivers)
And lastly does govt even care about who they give drivers license to? I mean a man from the village comes to the city and starts driving without prior knowledge of the traffic rules yet govt hands him a drivers license just like that! The thing is our govt is to be blame....and Op next time don't do the zebra wateva again abeg to avoid stories that touch...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by damoskiy(m): 7:18am On Jun 09, 2016
I obey zebra crossing when walking or driving. If you violate Zebra crossing in UNILAG and you are caught. You may not like the end result.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by flokii: 7:18am On Jun 09, 2016
Do they even know what that is? Did they attend driving skol?

So many values lost in this part of d world.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Shobyz: 7:21am On Jun 09, 2016
Because most Nigerians got their driver's license from cybercafes. How many Nigerians know lane rules or right of way at roundabouts?

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by jojo1415: 7:25am On Jun 09, 2016
ve u seen any zebra in nigeria b4?.....use ur head
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by jojo1415: 7:26am On Jun 09, 2016
jojo1415:
ve u seen any zebra in nigeria b4?.....use ur head
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Orikinla(m): 7:36am On Jun 09, 2016
[size=18pt]Majority of drivers on Nigerian roads cannot even read and write. They don't know what is Zebra Crossing. They paid bribes for their driver's license. [/size].
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by askiyke(m): 7:47am On Jun 09, 2016
Dey r alwys in a hurry
AfroMighty:
80% of Nigeria drivers know nothing like traffic rules and signs. So don't try mess with them all in the name of you are literate and you know traffic rules and regulations. You will just get killed
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by omokoladele(m): 7:55am On Jun 09, 2016
jaykaylegend:
I've always wondered why Nigerian drivers don't acknowledge zebra crossing lines in Nigeria...

for example, yesterday I wanted to cross a road, me and a couple of others had started crossing on the zebra lines when some motorists started speeding towards us and they even abused us that if we want to die she should go to our houses and die ooooo...

though its not the first time it is happening to me but I often wonder why most drivers don't acknowledge it...

is it due to negligence or ignorance??

lalasticlala, marpol, mynd44

In Danfo Driver's voice.......are u a zebra grin grin

on a serious note I dont think we have any rule concerning zebra crossing in Nigeria.
If we have road users are not aware of it
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by bezimo(m): 7:55am On Jun 09, 2016
The Nigeria environment is actually a chaos and lawless environment with zero sympathy and value for human life unlike in the developed western world where traffic laws are enforced and obeyed with high sympathy and value for human life.

The thing is when Nigerians come to developed world they obey the traffic rules and road sign because they know the implications (enforced monetary fines) for disobedience to those rules and laws when eventually caught disregarding them which always happens.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by daniels25(m): 7:56am On Jun 09, 2016
Zebra crossing! E no d work for here
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by londoner: 7:58am On Jun 09, 2016
They don't know what it is that's why. There is no real system of drivers education or even
Licencing in Nigeria many don't even have a driver's licence . In Abuja many don't obey the traffic lights either and bully those that do when they stop a red light by honking their horn continuously.

Unless there are real and consistent penalties Nigerians will continue to flout laws and rules as they do off the road.

It's unfortunate really.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 09, 2016
Asking?

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by femi4: 8:04am On Jun 09, 2016
They are meant for zebras. I can only stop for Zebras
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by phemmie06(m): 8:08am On Jun 09, 2016
Even a traffic warden will question and blame you if hit on zebra line if you are a zebra or human being
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by vickylincon(m): 8:24am On Jun 09, 2016
Siena:
To the thread starter...

...you can see why Nigerian motorists don't pay attention to zebra crossings. Go through the responses here. Something so critical, and vital to human safety is turned into a joke. This is why casualties will continue.

There's a time and place for jokes, this isn't one of them.
they are all zebras right? Lol
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Olayinka777(m): 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
AfroMighty:
80% of Nigeria drivers know nothing like traffic rules and signs. So don't try mess with them all in the name of you are literate and you know traffic rules and regulations. You will just get killed
Good one! I was almost knocked down one day, this happened on a zebra crossing close to Alausa secretariat, I was crossing when I saw this on coming jeep on top speed I had to run off.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by vchykp(m): 8:31am On Jun 09, 2016
lolx.. i guess d last tym i saw zebra crossing was 9 yrs ago, its not common this days, morover if thier is no rule binding violators, then the zebra crossing is usless.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by TheAlchemist: 8:35am On Jun 09, 2016
Sometimes the Zebra crossing are so faded that you would need a magnifying glass to be able to view the sign. It is important for every Zebra crossing to have some sort of traffic light where the person planning to cross the road can press and it will turn from green to red. The government should know the live of every Nigerian is priceless.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by salabscholar01(m): 8:36am On Jun 09, 2016
are you a Zebra? Nigerian roads are with no rules...
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by purpleblood: 8:37am On Jun 09, 2016
coolfredo:
Zebra has to wait till a car drive pass.... it my Birthday today abeg make una show me small love
Happy Birthday Bro. Which side you dey make I give you my own birthday gift grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by coolfredo(m): 8:39am On Jun 09, 2016
purpleblood:

Happy Birthday Bro. Which side you dey make I give you my own birthday gift grin
bro thanks. I d my side bro tongue
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by temmytee20(m): 8:50am On Jun 09, 2016
laurel03:
yes na that Tom Tom color on our road be zebra crossing.. Nothing concern 9ja drivers with highway code..

So wetin he com be den, na tom tom advert joor drop tom tom dere and c 4 urslf d result.... Lols
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by waltec(m): 8:58am On Jun 09, 2016
I have also been thinking about this. A major reason is ignorance, a good number of our drivers are not well informed. The only place that I ve been Zebra Cross been obeyed is #OAU Campus, Ile Ife

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by izuch(m): 9:01am On Jun 09, 2016
jaykaylegend:
I've always wondered why Nigerian drivers don't acknowledge zebra crossing lines in Nigeria...

for example, yesterday I wanted to cross a road, me and a couple of others had started crossing on the zebra lines when some motorists started speeding towards us and they even abused us that if we want to die she should go to our houses and die ooooo...

though its not the first time it is happening to me but I often wonder why most drivers don't acknowledge it...

lalasticlala, marpol, mynd44

Zebra crossings is just another tomtom advert to most Nigerian drivers, so my brother watch both sides of the road before crossing if you love your life.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by MrCork: 9:04am On Jun 09, 2016
jaykaylegend:

...Nigeria?... Do people read in that place?...u can't try that kinda $hitt hear in London(no offense) undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Watch:BMW's Wireless Charging Pad Will Charge Your Car In 3½ hrs Without A Cable / Nigeria Assembles 10,673 Vehicles In One Year / If You Could Rear Cars Like Cattles, What Breeds Will We Find In Your Colony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.