Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,013 members, 7,859,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 03:51 PM

Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates (1365 Views)

Osinbajo Meets With Theresa May, Bill Gates & Others At World Economic Forum / Gates Of Gated Streets Within Lagos Removed (Photos) / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Reappointed Chairman Of Bill Gates Health Initiative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Slimbideb: 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2016
Want to end extreme poverty? Technology hyper- billionaire Bill Gates says the answer is chickens. And that's not the name of new Microsoft software. Gates, the founder of the world's largest software company, says the best thing to improve the lives of the world's poorest is not computers or the Internet but raising a few roosters and hens. "It's pretty clear to me that just about anyone who's living in extreme poverty is better off if they have chickens," he said this week on his website GatesNotes.com. The world's richest person, who made his $75 billion fortune pushing for a Microsoft computer in every home, said his Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has just partnered with the global development group Heifer International to donate some 100,000 chickens to families in sub-Saharan Africa living on less than $2 a day. The goal, he said, is to get 30 percent of the rural families in the region to raise improved breeds of vaccinated chickens, compared with the current five percent. The return is better than other solutions, he said: Chickens cost little to take care of, they mulitiply fast and eggs and chicken meat can boost family nutrition. They also empower women, he said. "Because chickens are small and typically stay close to home, many cultures regard them as a woman's animal, in contrast to larger livestock like goats or cows. Women who sell chickens are likely to reinvest the profits in their families.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by kenchop: 4:19pm On Jun 10, 2016
REALLY shocked
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by maurisoft(m): 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
Bill Gate
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by wordcat(m): 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
A rich man can say anything

1 Like

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by mikolo80: 6:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
gmo illuminati tinz is real.why must they be vaccinated

1 Like

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by chinchum(m): 7:41pm On Jun 10, 2016
Great initiative. Recently, a study showed that giving out livestock to poor households for rearing can bring them out of the poverty threshold.

Fayose should take such initiative instead of dashing out rice in the name of stomach infrastructure.

It is a low hanging fruit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Adesiji77: 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2016
This is logical.

Just imagine the multiplier effect if every household should raise some livestock...

The future is agriculture cool

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/chickens-not-computers-can-solve-poverty-bill-gates/

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by amicable09(f): 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2016
His closing statement makes perfect sense.

Just that if every family in the country and the nation as a whole adopt this 'economic advice', in five years time, Nigeria will have more chickens than humans.

2 Likes

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Blackfire(m): 9:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
Partially true.
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by coolscott(m): 1:02am On Jun 11, 2016
[size=13pt]You have to be weary of any kind of biological (genetically modified) gifts from this man.
He is one of the big investors in Mosanto and has been pushing it for years.
Mosanto is a GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) company and has been driven away from many countries.
In England for example, I don't think they have any hopes there.
In India, many local farmers have committed suicide because of just this kind of help Mosanto offered them.
One thing that gave me insight into their bad ways was when I discovered something they produce which people have come to refer to as suicide seeds

Normally, a corn seed when preserved for the next season, will germinate as God has fashioned it to.
But Bill Gates' Mosanto company Genetically Modified seeds to farmers (to help them) which have only 1 life cycle in them
which means that when the seeds eventually grow and produce, the seeds they produce cannot germinate and grow into other plants.

They did this in order to acquire a monopoly of the market so that these poor farmers would have to come to them year after year to buy seeds (instead of the normal thing designed by God where the farmer can preserve a part of his harvest for planting the next season).

What is really bad about these seeds is that when they cross pollinate with the local normal variety, their offspring will be suicidal. In other words, their offspring will produce but for not more than one season.

We heard they had started given some farmers in the North these seeds too.

Now Europe has banned the importation of all Genetically Modified agric. products. What will happen to farmers whose produce they hope to export, or most of whose buyers in turn supply to foreign buyers, if all the farmers have are genetically modified eventually? What happens to hopes of making more money through agriculture?

I say any biological/agricultural gift from any man who has previously confidently given such a gift to people should be treated with extremely high levels of suspicion.

Anyone who thinks that I don't know what I am saying should go and search on Google for "Mosanto suicide seeds" and also "Bill Gates and Mosanto"

You can also try "Mosanto Indian suicides"

amicable09 Adesiji77 Blackfire
[/size]

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Nobody: 1:03am On Jun 11, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Nobody: 2:51am On Jun 11, 2016
cool
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by truthspeaks: 3:20am On Jun 11, 2016
Even wen I find dis funny. @least bill Gates has more ideas than our agric minister as to how lives n fud security can be improved
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Adesiji77: 5:17am On Jun 11, 2016
@coolscott:Thanks for sharing your insights
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by amicable09(f): 5:28am On Jun 11, 2016
coolscott, interesting eye opening information there! Thanks.

But what do you say about the chickens? He isn't talking about maize seed this time for cultivating but chickens this time. Do you think the vaccines will adversely affect the reproduction of the birds? At least poultry farmers here in Nigeria I know for sure vaccinate their birds.
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Amberon11: 5:35am On Jun 11, 2016
okay
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by omowolewa: 5:49am On Jun 11, 2016
When you see Bill Gate telling you what you must eat, you would think he cares. Until you realize that he is about to feed you with GMO.

Capitalists, give us mechanized farming not genetically modified organism. Terminal diseases are on the rise yet these guyz are about to sell their idea to Nigeria!
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Caseless: 6:53am On Jun 11, 2016
This man get head.

*rushes to market to buy chicken*

Mallam, give me two chickens from Ya cage.
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by Nobody: 8:04am On Jun 11, 2016
coolscott:
[size=13pt]You have to be weary of any kind of biological (genetically modified) gifts from this man.
He is one of the big investors in Mosanto and has been pushing it for years.
Mosanto is a GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) company and has been driven away from many countries.
In England for example, I don't think they have any hopes there.
In India, many local farmers have committed suicide because of just this kind of help Mosanto offered them.
One thing that gave me insight into their bad ways was when I discovered something they produce which people have come to refer to as suicide seeds

Normally, a corn seed when preserved for the next season, will germinate as God has fashioned it to.
But Bill Gates' Mosanto company Genetically Modified seeds to farmers (to help them) which have only 1 life cycle in them
which means that when the seeds eventually grow and produce, the seeds they produce cannot germinate and grow into other plants.

They did this in order to acquire a monopoly of the market so that these poor farmers would have to come to them year after year to buy seeds (instead of the normal thing designed by God where the farmer can preserve a part of his harvest for planting the next season).

What is really bad about these seeds is that when they cross pollinate with the local normal variety, their offspring will be suicidal. In other words, their offspring will produce but for not more than one season.

We heard they had started given some farmers in the North these seeds too.

Now Europe has banned the importation of all Genetically Modified agric. products. What will happen to farmers whose produce hope to export or most of whose buyers supply to foreign buyers if all the farmers have are genetically modified eventually? What happens to hopes of making more money through agriculture?

I say any biological/agricultural gift from any man who has previously confidently given such a gift to people should be treated with extremely high levels of suspicion.

Anyone who thinks that I don't know what I am saying should go and search on Google for "Mosanto suicide seeds" and also "Bill Gates and Mosanto"

You can also try "Mosanto Indian suicides"
amicable09 Adesiji77 Blackfire
[/size]
You know exactly what you are saying. A man who works so much for depopulating the world should be watched with caution when he brings us food to eat.

1 Like

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by An0nimus: 10:49am On Jun 11, 2016
Didn't really know Mosanto is American and BillGates has stakes in it. They're also having troubles with Roundup (a pesticide) in Europe. Folks are seriously campaigning against it

1 Like

Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by coolscott(m): 11:30am On Jun 11, 2016
amicable09:
coolscott, interesting eye opening information there! Thanks.

But what do you say about the chickens? He isn't talking about maize seed this time for cultivating but chickens this time. Do you think the vaccines will adversely affect the reproduction of the birds? At least poultry farmers here in Nigeria I know for sure vaccinate their birds.
[size=13pt]If I buy moi-moi from your bukka today and it got me hospitalized with salmonella, will I come back tomorrow and say "Maybe it's time to try her Nkwobi"?

Okay, if I brought some food to your house last week and it got you hospitalized, and I come back this week telling you "I have some nice Nkwobi I made just for you" what will you do to me?
[/size]
Re: Chickens, Not Computers, Can Solve Poverty — Bill Gates by AhmadMind: 12:41pm On Jun 11, 2016
From Chickens you created Microsoft and became a Billionaire. Thanks chairman!

Give a poor smart boy a computer and see the wonders God can do thru the downtrodden

(1) (Reply)

*full List Of Reshuffled Senate Committee Chairmen* / Recession – Of Causes And Solution -by Micheal A Adeniyi / Nigeria Made N70 Trillion From Oil In 15 Years, Where Did All The Money Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.