Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,794 members, 7,831,571 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu (2399 Views)

Buhari Can Be Impeached Over Magu – Senator Okurounmu / Tinubu Misled Yorubas Into Political Slavery – Sen Okurounmu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 12:23pm On Jun 11, 2016

In this interview with SAMUEL AWOYINFA, Afenifere chieftain and Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee on the 2015 National Conference, Senator Femi Okurounmu, talks about what the confab report recommended and the implication of not implementing it, among other issues

Sometime in 2015, you said the neglect of the Confab report fuelled pro-Biafra protests. Is that not making excuse for the protesters?

There must be an excuse for people to protest when they feel marginalised. We felt cheated in 1993, we protested. After the Biafra war, the Igbo have been struggling to integrate themselves back into Nigeria as equal citizens with every other Nigerian. Successive regimes have done their best to reintegrate them back, but (President Muhammadu) Buhari’s administration has re-opened their wounds by extremely marginalising Igbos simply because they did not vote for him. The President in his speech on May 29, 2015 said he belonged to nobody but to everybody, which means he will treat everybody equally. But the same Buhari later contradicted himself, by saying he could not treat people who gave him 93 per cent of their votes the same way he would treat those who gave him five per cent. Apparently it is the latter principle he has been following. Recently, we looked at the 59 appointments which he had made, only three came from the South East whereas the North West, the zone from where Buhari comes from, had 26. So where is the justice? Why will the Igbos not feel marginalised? When people feel marginalised, they will resort to all sorts of measures, part of which is to seek to take their own future in their own hands. That is what IPOB is all about.

Don’t you think the plan to secede may be treasonable?

The agitation for self determination is allowed by the United Nations. It is a right of all people across the world. Last year, there was a referendum in Scotland, they wanted to break away from the United Kingdom, but it did not sail through. If it had sailed through they would have been somewhere else.

One of the issues confronting the country at the moment is the issue of the Niger Delta Avengers and Fulani herdsmen. Did you discuss these during your deliberations as well?

We only talked about grazing reserves. I believe whoever wants to rear chickens must have a poultry; likewise whoever wants to graze cattle must build his own cattle ranch. That is the practice all over the world. We opposed the idea of the Federal Government creating grazing zones in every state of the federation but each state can create its own if it so wishes. But since the menace of Fulani herdsmen was prominent in the Middle Belt, we decided to create more states to liberate them from the tyranny of the Fulani herdsmen. We approved nine states per zone, and with six geo-political zones in the country, that makes 54 states. That was the only condition the Middle Belt gave for them to support the restructuring of the country.

Your comment gives one the impression that the Confab report is all Nigeria needs to overcome its problems. Does it mean the country may not have absolute peace if the Confab report is not implemented?

Unless we restructure this country, Nigeria will not know peace. We must have a country where everyone is first class citizen. As we are today, you are not equal to a Fulani man. The Fulani man is superior. What a Fulani man will do and get away with, you cannot do and get away with it.

With the issues at hand currently, could you tell us in plain terms how far the Confab report would have helped to solve some of these issues?

If Buhari had embarked on the process of implementing the report of the 2014 National Conference, a lot of the present agitation would not have arisen. Even though the conference did not approve the present six geo-political zones as the federating units, the Confab strengthens the autonomy of the existing states. For example, it gave each state the power to mobilise and develop its own mineral and other resources. Under this arrangement, oil producing states will be responsible for the exploration of their oil – no external persons will come and pollute their land, but they may work with technical partners on this. States will only pay a fraction of their earnings to the Federal Government. That is how it is done all over the world. If the Niger Delta people are in charge of their oil, they will protect their environment. Also, the Confab gave neighbouring states who feel inclined to merge to do so to form a larger unit and such merger is only subject to the condition that each of the states wants to merge. Such merger must be approved in a referendum by 75 per cent majority and the Houses of Assembly too in the states must also approve the merger by a two-third majority. The Confab further gave each state the right to have its own police to take care of its security, including having lower level of police even at the local government level. Above all, the Confab provided that each state will be in charge of creating its local governments, so that local governments will not be the concern of the Federal Government at all. In fact, the list of LGs will be expunged from the constitution, so that the states can have as many or few LGs as they want, without affecting the quantum of allocation coming to the states. We also changed the allocation formula. We reduced the Federal Government’s allocation and gave more to the states and LGs. Those are the aspects that will strengthen fiscal federalism, even with the existing structure.

The APC leadership does not believe in the Confab because they feel it was politically-motivated and because of the timing. How does that make you feel?

Who are the progressives? The APC leadership; Tinubu and Buhari. Though they condemned the Confab, their people came. The APC governors sent people from their states, some came through the civil society groups, Chief Bisi Akande’s boys were there. Chief Segun Osoba was there to represent the media profession. The opposition was just a smokescreen to deceive the people. The present constitution favours Buhari and the interest of the North, which is to preserve the current constitution, put together by successive military regimes to favour the North. Asiwaju Bola Tinubu aligned with Buhari because he wanted power, and compromised his earlier stand on restructuring. I ask, what has he got from Buhari so far? Atiku Abubakar is from the North, he favours restructuring, but the Southerners in this government are cowardly, they cannot come out and say they want it.

Read the rest - http://www.punchng.com/unless-restructure-nigeriall-not-know-peace-okurounmu/

3 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Taeewo(m): 12:27pm On Jun 11, 2016
Ok
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by dukie25: 12:28pm On Jun 11, 2016
Expect him to be called IPOB very soon.

8 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 12:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
dukie25:

or banned by communist Nair.......d cool

4 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Thewrath(m): 12:30pm On Jun 11, 2016
Don’t you think the plan to secede may be treasonable?

The agitation for self determination is allowed by the United Nations. It is a right of all people across the world. Last year, there was a referendum in Scotland, they wanted to break away from the United Kingdom, but it did not sail through. If it had sailed through they would have been somewhere else

Nairaland thinks otherwise

8 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 11, 2016
Let's do it the United Kingdom and Scotland way..

If you are in support of implementing the confab report and restructuring of Nigeria just click LIKE but if you are against it just click SHARE...

Time to know what Nigrians truely want cos the voice of the people are the voice of God..

2 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Thewrath(m): 12:40pm On Jun 11, 2016
Equalizer:
Front page worthy...

But I will bet my left yarsh that this topic will be sidelined cos its about confab report..
IF it were to be headlined "NA kills 50 NDAs",the hypocrites will just appear form nowhere.

4 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Flexherbal(m): 12:41pm On Jun 11, 2016
Government should implement that confab report.

1 Like

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
Thewrath:

Nairaland thinks otherwise

Nairaland was not like this in the past, it is so bad now that most real intellectuals and contributors have deserted the forum, only a matter of time......

1 Like

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by TheFreeOne: 1:05pm On Jun 11, 2016
Okunrounmu is right only a f**l will think otherwise.

It is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind that our present structure is not working nor sustainable any longer.

5 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Uchexxy(m): 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2016
the simple plain truth but because we love deceiving ourselves in this country, we will never do what is needed. who is his right senses doesn't know that this country needs to be restructured or better still split?

2 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by hucienda: 1:24pm On Jun 11, 2016
Fulani... landlord of the republic.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 1:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
hucienda:
Fulani... landlord of the republic.

Not for long......
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2016
There is no arguing what Senator Okuronmu said. Restructuring Nigeria is the only panacea for lasting peace in Nigeria. It is a pity that the Tinubus, Fayemis, Osobas, and other advocates for the restructuring of Nigeria have suddenly gone mute after a taste of federal power....
The current system is too asphyxiating that is why some people want to pull out. If the APC have no faith in the Confab report convoked by Jonathan, they can convoke another one. We really need to renegotiate our stakes in Nigeria. The earlier we do this, the better for the progress and unity of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 1:27pm On Jun 11, 2016
bejeiodus:
There is no arguing what Senator Okuronmu said. Restructuring Nigeria is the only panacea for lasting peace in Nigeria. It is a pity that the Tinubus, Fayemis, Osobas, and other advocates for the restructuring of Nigeria have suddenly gone mute after a taste of federal power....
The current system is too asphyxiating that is why some people want to pull out. If the APC have no faith in the Confab report convoked by Jonathan, they can convoke another one. We really need to renegotiate our stakes in Nigeria. The earlier we do this, the better for the progress and unity of Nigeria.

So well said and succinctly expressed....
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Newmanluckyman(m): 1:41pm On Jun 11, 2016
Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows that restructuring of Nigeria will give everyone equal sense of belonging. I really respect this elderly statesman for speaking the truth. But the problem is will APC, PMB, Northerners and Southern stakeholders listened to the voices of the masses, wisdom and reasoning?Time is of the essence here.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by swagaholic: 1:50pm On Jun 11, 2016
OIL money won't allow them...... God bless NDA tho, very soon there will be no oil money
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
Very soon some useless tribalist yorubads will come and start spilling venom from their rotten mouths.

3 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by TheFreeOne: 2:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
dukie25:

Zombies always resorts to such escapism in the presence of superior arguments.

Patriots and reasonable Nigerians knows that our current political structure is the bane of our underdevelopment, crisis and agitations hence the urgent need to restructure if we still want to have a 'one Nigeria'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Oksman(m): 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
There some 'experts' NL commentators i am still expecting to say their mind on this issue before i comment.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by cjrane: 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2016
[size=15pt]Baba, you spoke the truth, but that isn't what the dulllard needs to hear.

Just tell the dulllard to buy more arms and deploy more soldiers to try and kill everyone, so there will be peace. We will see where that option the dulllard is pursuing will land nigeria.
[/size]
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by johnPollock(m): 3:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
this man speaks with sense....unfortunately there are a lot of apc saboteurs in the east who are blinded by power instead of fact. today marks another place of suppression ,not the one of racial america but that of an ethnic Nigeria.....the inhumanity as seen in black nations...today you all in citizens of the south can speak with honesty to make a true change for the south...for u, us children and ur generation ..
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by petsam11(m): 3:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
Ahhhhh!!! Who is this man!!! I just Love this man!!! I like when people are very sincere to their consciences... He said the truth and nothing but the whooooooooole truth!!! Although I don't really support this fraud of a contraption/entrapment called "One Nigeria" but implementing the Confab report will go a very long way in helping this falling plane and drowning ship called "One Nigeria"!!! I love it when people say the truth regardless of the fact that it might not favor them or because they are not from a particular tribe... These are the type of people that should be leaders not all those "pocket-filling men and women up their.
May God Keep You Sir!!! Sensitive and reasonable citizens with conscience will applaud the truth in your speech while the criminal minded ones will curse you! This is one of the best interviews that I a
Have read so far this year!
May God Bless You Sir Beyond Your Imagination and Comprehension!!! Amen!!!

2 Likes

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2016
Thats right.I must say what dat man said is d only reasonable thing i have heard from a southwesterner in a long tym
petsam11:
Ahhhhh!!! Who is this man!!! I just Love this man!!! I like when people are very sincere to their consciences... He said the truth and nothing but the whooooooooole truth!!! Although I don't really support this fraud of a contraption/entrapment called "One Nigeria" but implementing the Confab report will go a very long way in helping this falling plane and drowning ship called "One Nigeria"!!! I love it when people say the truth regardless of the fact that it might not favor them or because they are not from a particular tribe... These are the type of people that should be leaders not all those "pocket-filling men and women up their.
May God Keep You Sir!!! Sensitive and reasonable citizens with conscience will applaud the truth in your speech while the criminal minded ones will curse you! This is one of the best interviews that I a

1 Like

Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by Splinz(m): 5:16pm On Jun 11, 2016
petsam11:
You've said it all. This man is a worthy leader of the yoruba's. Such an intelligent and a packed load of sincere fellow. More years and wisdom to you pa.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by FagsamPHP(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
k
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by yungpowers(m): 5:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
d
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 7:46pm On Jun 11, 2016
petsam11:

Not many people want to say or hear the truth, their priority is their STOMACH.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by ruggedchap: 7:48pm On Jun 11, 2016
johnPollock:
this man speaks with sense....unfortunately there are a lot of apc saboteurs in the east who are blinded by power instead of fact. today marks another place of suppression ,not the one of racial america but that of an ethnic Nigeria.....the inhumanity as seen in black nations...today you all in citizens of the south can speak with honesty to make a true change for the south...for u, us children and ur generation ..

Indeed, true. They are traitors.
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by mikolo80: 7:54pm On Jun 11, 2016
ruggedchap:

Nairaland was not like this in the past, it is so bad now that most real intellectuals and contributors have deserted the forum, only a matter of time......
the same way they always do that has left nincompoops in charge. we do not need cowards as intellectuals
Re: Unless We Restructure, Nigeria’ll Not Know Peace –okurounmu by mikolo80: 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2016
na so we restructure from 3 till 36 regions still nothing. somebody should ask this mumu what he did for his ppl.
our ppl not the system is the problem

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Ban: Twitter User Claps Back Ezekwesili / MTN Call Centre Agents Protest In Ilorin / See How This Hardworking Nigerian Girl Makes Her Money In Ondo State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.