Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Let’s Talk About Depression - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Let’s Talk About Depression (6243 Views)

6 Friends Help Their Friend Overcome Depression (Photos) / 12 Things You Really Need To Know About Depression. / What You Need To Know About DEPRESSION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 4:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
I was 15, I came home on holiday, I knew I ought to be happy, but I was not. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t fathom what was wrong with me. I began to withdraw from my family, quietly at first, then, my feeling of alienation grew until I convinced myself no one cared about me. I would spend hours in my room, alone, doing nothing but refusing to talk or even see anyone.

I was disinterested in the whole world. Gradually I became angry, angry at myself, angry at everyone around me and angry with the world. I would snap at those closest to me at the slightest provocation and just like that, I became a very unhappy teenager.

The nights were no better either. I would toss and turn in bed wishing sleep could take me away even for just a few minutes. I spent most nights stealing my mother’s sleeping pills just to get relief to my insomnia. Although, I can’t exactly remember how I overcame it, it took me quite a while to understand that what I went through at that age was depression. When I think about it now, I realise that it could have been worse.

People who do not understand the real nature of this condition may simply associate it with self-indulgence or a fleeting emotion or mood. A major misconception is the belief that depression is basically a character flaw, something common with attention seeking spoiled brats. Little wonder why well-meaning family and friends who are ignorant of the seriousness of this condition would wave it off subtly or say things like “get over it, it is all in your mind”.

What depression is
Depression is a serious condition that not only affects the mind but the entire well-being of an individual. It is the state of being unwell physically, emotionally and psychologically

Depression is uncontrollable. Like many other mental conditions, depression can be proven scientifically. Scientists say that depression is caused by a disorder in the brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are some of the brain circuits responsible for mood, sleep, appetite, thinking and behaviour. When these neurotransmitters become impaired, depression will most likely occur.

Fact 1: many people will suffer from this condition at some point in their life time . This is because as humans, we are all susceptible to general feelings of sadness, negativity, helplessness and emptiness. However, major depressive moods are highly distinguished and identified by its severity, persistence and duration.

Fact 2: Since depression is relatively common in humans, it is known to occur in one in every five individuals. This is why this condition should be considered seriously and given adequate attention it deserves.

Fact 3: Depression is understood to often worsen the symptoms of other diseases. For instance, people who are depressed and yet suffer from stroke or other heart related diseases are more likely to die earlier than non-depressed patients suffering from a similar ailment.

Some common symptoms of depression include: The seemingly unending feelings of emptiness, restlessness, shame and guilt. Depressed individuals also often experience disturbances in their sleep, poor appetites, bleak and pessimistic views of the future, hopeless misery, general sense of numbness, no capacity for emotion, irritable feelings, general feelings of weakness, chronic boredom, reoccurring thoughts of death and even worse suicidal thoughts. As a result, many depressed individuals eventually resort to self-destructive behaviours such as alcohol and drug abuse. Those who suffer these depressive moods stated above should be considered severely ill. They are harmful to themselves and those around them. Frankly, the need and effort to create or increase awareness for this condition cannot be overemphasized. Even The World health Organisation (WHO) calls our attention to this condition. WHO states that by the year 2020, depression will be the major cause of disability worldwide.

Perhaps what makes depression difficult to recognise as an illness is that often or most times it is not visible to casual observers. For instance, when coming in contact with severely depressed people, many may dismiss them as being simply reserved, timid or even rude. However, there should be no reason to be ignorant of this condition, for it is this persistent bias associated with depression that has led to its under recognition and under treatment and hence, has impeded its management.

If you have observed these symptoms of depression in a family member, close relative or friend, please do not ignore. Talk to them, get them to share or get them the help they need.

Let us not forget, being happy is staying healthy.

13 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Eddygourdo(m): 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2016
Everyone is bound to have episodes of depression. Sometimes it has causes that are purely environmental, its agreed that many in war torn regions suffer a great deal from depression, its difficult to not be depressed when the environment you find yourself is bleak. I am of the school of thought that humans need to be taught how to handle depression. Its something that comes and should be managed quickly else it degenerates to more severe conditions of failing health or even insanity.

Man is a very social being, we tend to conform a lot to our environment a lot, depressive thoughts occcur most frequently when people are indoors and alone. Being alone allows the mind to exagerate life's problems and dissapointments which in turn could cause one to be depressed.

Thus I feel people who aren't socially balanced will always strugle with depresion more than those who live more active social lives, they usually never have time to have deep thoughts and thus depresive feelings.

Brb

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2016
Nice one...ivvy... grinsmileywink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 12, 2016
Hmmm!

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by CountDracula(m): 5:32pm On Jun 12, 2016
Ivyy, befor I read ur post I jus av to say... Lovely shoes girl... I. Just. Loooooooove ur shoes. Ok lemme read

Ok. Read it... We africans/Nigerians know wat depression is, we just like to think its a sign of weakness, so we rather cover it up wit a big fake smile and go abt our daily stuff, but wen we're alone all we can do is wish for death, I made sure I was never alone dat was d trick, I was alone in d real sense of cos, I had no friends really, but I always had my fone, and my fone was always packed wit movies. Dats how I dealt wit it or dats how I still deal wit it. Everybody has issues but not everybody is depressed dats anoda common mistake, d un-depressed people keep yellin and designin pictures dat tell u u don't deserve to be sad or depressed or u shud grow up or u shud just not be depressed... Which jus sends u into a deeper trance

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2016
Very insightful post.

I also had long bouts with depression as an undergraduate and it only took the grace of God to get over it.
Its sad that our society don't have enough therapists and councellors to help sufferers get out of it.

It now falls on family members and friends to look out for their loved ones.

lalasticlala you know the drill. grin
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 6:20pm On Jun 12, 2016
CountDracula:
Ivyy, befor I read ur post I jus av to say... Lovely shoes girl... I. Just. Loooooooove ur shoes. Ok lemme read

Ok. Read it... We africans/Nigerians know wat depression is, we just like to think its a sign of weakness, so we rather cover it up wit a big fake smile and go abt our daily stuff, but wen we're alone all we can do is wish for death, I made sure I was never alone dat was d trick, I was alone in d real sense of cos, I had no friends really, but I always had my fone, and my fone was always packed wit movies. Dats how I dealt wit it or dats how I still deal wit it. Everybody has issues but not everybody is depressed dats anoda common mistake, d un-depressed people keep yellin and designin pictures dat tell u u don't deserve to be sad or depressed or u shud grow up or u shud just not be depressed... Which jus sends u into a deeper trance

Thanks dear lipsrsealed

@ post , exactly no one should be ignorant of this condition.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 12, 2016
ivyy:

Thanks dear lipsrsealed

@ post , exactly no one should be ignorant of this condition.

Please check your mail.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 6:37pm On Jun 12, 2016
SANDOSKI:
grin thank you
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by sbabimbola(f): 6:40pm On Jun 12, 2016
well written.........
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2016
Eddygourdo:
Everyone is bound to have episodes of depression. Sometimes it has causes that are purely environmental, its agreed that many in war torn regions suffer a great deal from depression, its difficult to not be depressed when the environment you find yourself is bleak. I am of the school of thought that humans need to be taught how to handle depression. Its something that comes and should be managed quickly else it degenerates to more severe conditions of failing health or even insanity.

Man is a very social being, we tend to conform a lot to our environment a lot, depressive thoughts occcur most frequently when people are indoors and alone. Being alone allows the mind to exagerate life's problems and dissapointments which in turn could cause one to be depressed.

Thus I feel people who aren't socially balanced will always strugle with depresion more than those who live more active social lives, they usually never have time to have deep thoughts and thus depresive feelings

At bolded, very true in most cases.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2016
sbabimbola:
well written.........

Thanks dear smiley
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2016
PushPlay:
Very insightful post.

I also had long bouts with depression as an undergraduate and it only took the grace of God to get over it.
Its sad that our society don't have enough therapists and councellors to help sufferers get out of it.

It now falls on family members and friends to look out for their loved ones.

lalasticlala you know the drill. grin

Thank God for us grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ElDeeVee(m): 8:03pm On Jun 12, 2016
Nice one OP
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Jamean(f): 8:21pm On Jun 12, 2016
Nice one.
I was at the verge of depression in the first 4 months of the year. I thank God that I'm over it now.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by nwakaegoabisola(f): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2016
I have battled with this for a very long time, thank God for His mercies
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Miracle212(f): 9:35pm On Jun 12, 2016
depression is something we all go thru at one stage of our life,
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by armadeo(m): 11:39pm On Jun 12, 2016
Ivyy how does one help a depressed friend. How does one understand what a depressed friend feels.

How do we cope with depressed people around us, when we cannot even fathom how they feel or think.

You know depression causes undue anger and lashing out. How do we manage this.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Ferdyboss: 12:28am On Jun 13, 2016
That's my Ivyy.

Been there on a few occasions. I can totally relate.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by joey150(m): 2:21am On Jun 13, 2016
armadeo:
Ivyy how does one help a depressed friend. How does one understand what a depressed friend feels.

How do we cope with depressed people around us, when we cannot even fathom how they feel or think.

have you ever heard of Google??

Nice thread. But Didn't really. read. Because only you can snap out of depression and stop feeling sorry for yourself.
Whenever am depressed i just need a good scolding amd talking too.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by chachanga: 10:58am On Jun 13, 2016
D kain depression Wey dey floor now, ehn?

Na to marry one of u brilliant ladies on the thread go solve am wink.

Na Monday morning, I shld be @ my workstation but am here in d break-room typing thrash; I no wan buy market because i know Sandoski don get "keyholder embarassed" & Ivvy dey busy dey form Olajumoke Beauty pageant.

You other ladies shld just know dat original Naija "TrueLove Diego cool" is waiting for ur PM o. grin grin
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 13, 2016
chachanga:

Na Monday morning, I shld be @ my workstation but am here in d break-room typing thrash; I no wan buy market because i know Sandoski don get "keyholder embarassed" & Ivvy dey busy dey form Olajumoke Beauty pageant.

You other ladies shld just know dat original Naija "TrueLove Diego cool" is waiting for ur PM o. grin grin

Bros e be like say hunger dey catch u... Oya take dis one cool ur urself

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
Hi Ivvy, I really appreciate the way you analyzed this topic. I've kind of been a victim of "depression" for a very long time.... It even goes as far as while I was in primary school and even till now. The only reason I haven't carried out my suicide thoughts is my mother because I love her so much.... I've been on the brink of suicide so many times but people around me do not know. I've just had to keep myself going by holding on to "hope" that things will get better even when they turn out pretty worse anyway that's me...

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by armadeo(m): 6:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
joey150:
have you ever heard of Google??

Nice thread. But Didn't really. read. Because only you can snap out of depression and stop feeling sorry for yourself.
Whenever am depressed i just need a good scolding amd talking too.

Dude there's a difference between actual experience and penned down notes. That's why I wanted someone who had experienced it to tell waht she wanted not some bland impersonal advice.

You need a good scolding is good advice but doesn't work for everyone.
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by BossDanniee(m): 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2016
Nice Write-up Ivyy
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:25pm On Jun 13, 2016
Shinyjay:
Hi Ivvy, I really appreciate the way you analyzed this topic. I've kind of been a victim of "depression" for a very long time.... It even goes as far as while I was in primary school and even till now. The only reason I haven't carried out my suicide thoughts is my mother because I love her so much.... I've been on the brink of suicide so many times but people around me do not know. I've just had to keep myself going by holding on to "hope" that things will get better even when they turn out pretty worse anyway that's me...

Dear, Suicide is not an option and It can NEVER replace the Solution.. I cannot say that your days won't be shrugged with travails, but I can assure you that eventually things will fall into place.

What I would Advise based on experience are as follows

1. Try to Ponder over the good things Life has offered so far even in your travails smiley.

2. Get a confidant or mentor someone you can relate with. Someone capable of reaching out to you, getting you out of the sober mood you always find yourself cheesy cheesy.

3. Do things that make you happy. Do this with family and friends. Take a walk and appreciate life. Read inspirational books, listen to music, go into volunteering. In short, get out of yourself! Avoid sulking dearie kiss kiss.

4. Give Thanks to God at all. Muslim or Christian there is no greater love than that of God. And there is no plan more superior than that which He has for your life. Don't take a life you didn't create embarassed.

God is moved when you thank Him for "nothing".Trust God with his words.

If you are Christian, remind Him of His words, for He honours His words. Reference scriptures like Deuteronomy 31:8, Psalm 40:1-3, Psalm 42:11, Isaiah 41:10, John 16:33 wink wink.

Learn to enjoy every bit of your life, Cause no one Is getting out of this world alive smiley grin.

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
armadeo:

Be persistent dear. Don't ignore and think they would get over it all by themselves. If you are aware of the source of their depression, then you could help out with it. Try and make things lighter and easier for them.

You will need to be really patient and whatever you do, don't ever give up on them. Just keep trying! Take them out, be a confidant, crack jokes, get them to talk to someone etc.
My dear, Just be available kiss kiss

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:46pm On Jun 13, 2016
chachanga:

Goan sleep
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by ivyy(f): 7:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
BossDanniee:
Nice Write-up Ivyy

Thanks dear kiss kiss
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by chachanga: 10:32pm On Jun 13, 2016
SANDOSKI:

Bros e be like say hunger dey catch u... Oya take dis one cool ur urself

Sandobaby! Wich kain Sure-P packaging be dis?! If u go fit to bring Bobo, u suppose to share Gala or Meaty join nah wink?! And the Bobo suppose dey "chilled grin"

@ivvy
ta! Sleep 4where?! Awuf nor dey run belle. U nor see plenty drinks 4 table? $istah $andy na better pikin, $he's buying out the Bar, am bringing in my Goons! Oya, Tiri gbosa 4her grin grin

Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
SANDOSKI:
lmaoooo
Dis smallie u wunt kie mi with ur funny pix ooo grin
Re: Let’s Talk About Depression by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 14, 2016
ivyy:

Thanks dear kiss kiss

Our queen.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lassa Fever Kills Four As NCDC Confirms 23 Fresh Cases / COVID-19 Update For June 25 2021 In Nigeria / What You Need To Know About Your Eye Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.