Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I (77829 Views)

What Happened To The Naira Swap / Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Good News. The Naira Is Now 245 To $1. See Inside! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Nuahall2k14(m): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
Thanx a lot. Now I get it
lafuria1:

No they won't because it will end up creating a parallel market which will defeat the goal of floating.

The fear is the banks can decide to sell at 500 naira to a dollar but you see the fixed rate of 199 naira per dollar didn't stop the rate to go as high as 350 naira per dollar. Nevertheless, there are guidelines to mitigate against greed stoping the banks from exploiting the system.

The one major reason we are floating is because our reserve is going down and we can't keep depleting the reserve to fix the naira, and as you can see its not working, the black market are winning. We are no more getting dollars as we usually are due to fall in oil prices.

Fingers cross to see how the banks and BDC react when the policy kicks in on Monday. I'm curious as to how much CBN will sell to banks or let me say how will banks source for forex.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by gloryman91: 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
Please arrest any governor who didn't fulfill new bailout condition.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 2sexycom(m): 5:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
LordIsaac:
Did anyone observe that non of our so called economists and accountants could break the simple theory down to a lay man.....Yet, if you asked them, they'd say they graduated from Covenant with a first class!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin no b lie ooo.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Icemany: 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2016
Why cant the federal govt hire Mr.Bizmark Rewane, Ceo Financial derivatives (the man with jerry curls that always comes on channels 10pm news)

The man is a financial guru if u ask me.
With him at the helms, this country go make too much sense.
Forget this wishy washy economic team.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Guyman02: 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2016
Vessi:

Wonderful international politics. What caused the emergence of Eastern Libya as an independent state?

The East (Cyrenaica) feel that the West is backing western Libya since the murder of Gaddafi to subjugate them. The first tranche of $700m worth of Dinar printed in UK for Libya Central Bank did not get to them in the amount they expected and therefore decided to print their own currency and they feel that since the oil is in their area they should control it.

What they have done is to align themselves with Russia who can protect them at the UNSC from western attempts to invade them. But as at today America is dropping bombs on the East under the guise of fighting ISIS in Libya but in actually fact they are helping their stooge in Tripoli to expand their territory. its a divide and rule tactics and has nothing to do with Freedom and Democracy.

Now the East has started to ship OIL while Britain has proposed a draft resolution at the UN to enable Nato warships search for weapons in the Mediterranean sea; this is a ploy to prevent ships from the East shipping oil out of Libya. So the Chinese are coming with their ships to lift crude and will not allow Nato to board their vessels.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by designking: 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2016
erico2k2:

Our economy is determined by the price of Dollars. It's the only international curency we trade in.for now.our budget is based on Dollars. Some of us earn in Dollars.
I have pounds but x change to dollars makes more sense to me.The Nigerian economy is not matured enough to through us at the mercy of the Banks. They are mega greedy. Who will co trolley them efficiently. I can't go to China to buy goods for my warehouse cos of unsteady dollars in Nigeria.
With the flexible FX market regime, sourcing your dollar for your export activities will no longer be an headache.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by omogerohprecious(m): 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
wolextayo:
God will see us through. How I wish I can be the president, I'll kill all the so called leaders and start afresh. This country! O ti su mi

Lols
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by gergemam: 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
I beg i wan ask this question now ooo.... Person whey one pay Schools Fees for UK now.... How this go take affect am...
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jinglesbaby: 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2016
Yeah but at almost double the present rate! Is that not another headache that we have created because salary will still remain the same but we have to spend more!

designking:

With the flexible FX market regime, sourcing your dollar for your export activities will no longer be an headache.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by GreatEngineer(m): 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
erico2k2:

U need no more explanation
Thanks.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by repogirl(f): 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
2sexycom:
So what with the market determinants be? where will the price land?
let's wait and see.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by cckris: 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
naijamd:
After wasting billions of dollars worth of our foreign reserves defending an artificial rate, Bubu goes back and shallows his vomit

After imposing EXTREME HARDSHIPS on Nigerians, Buhari now resorts to Economic Policies that would've helped in 2012. Nonsense.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by imagrg(m): 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2016
Silence please! Nigeria at its experimental stage: the masses used as guinea pigs! Apes obey! The militants agitating; essential food on the run. Humpity Dumpity sat on the wall eating a humble pie! Attention! The Naira continues its matching order. Stand at ease! As you were! Apes obey! Cry, beloved country? Weep not; daddy is coming! Papa day come. He go come if e treat him ear finish. He go hear word well well ooo. Order!
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Temptee101(m): 5:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
yusufu16:
I think there is light at the end of the tunnel.
That's what we have been thinking since bubu came onboard. Its past one year

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by designking: 5:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
jinglesbaby:

Yeah but at almost double the present rate! Is that not another headache that we have created because salary will still remain the same but we have to spend more!
No, it has not created a double problem but an opportunity to attract investors to Nigeria. Our large population should be a great selling point for foreign manufacturers to setup factories in Nigeria. Two factors has made them less interested namely:

1.) Our businesses feels more comfortable running to china, taiwan, dubai, london etc to buy their goods at exorbitant prices. Why build a factory in Nigeria when these companies target trade volume for Nigeria is regularly achieved without moving an inch. We have a 200million buying population and that is enticing enough for any foreign business. Why do you think MTN is very interested in Nigeria after a fine of over $1billion.

2.) Inability for foreign investors to repatriate funds back to their home country as a result of restrictive FX policies.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Max24: 5:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guyman02:
I want to digress to Libya Central bank from our own CBN as international economic politics also has effects on our policies.

How many people here know that Libya now has 2 currencies and 2 Central banks in Tripoli and Tobruk with 2 different governments since after Nato backed regime change?.
The Central bank in Eastern Libya has its Dinar now printed in Moscow Russia (recognized by Russia and China) while the Central Bank in Tripoli prints a different Dinar in London recognized by US and the West.

The IMF recognizes the Central Bank Governor of Eastern Libya as legitimate but not the bank while the Bank in Tripoli is recognized as legitimate but not the Governor. Confusion!

Russia and China have decided to get their fair share of Libya resources as the country is now on the verge of partition like Ukraine by supporting the Government in Eastern Libya led by General Khalifa Haftar against the UN backed Unity Government of Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj in Tripoli.
Most of the oil is in Eastern Libya and the west has decided to back the militia group called 'the Dawn' from Misrata as the new Presidential guard and a new war is anticipated to commence soon to recapture Eastern Libya from Russian backed Libyan National Army led by Gen Haftar by the western backed militia.

This is how Libya has been exploited since the murder of Gaddafi by Nato backed forces with most of their gold reserves and money about $200b in foreign reserves stolen by western banksters.
This is why many of us are angry with PMB when he calls us corrupt in front of western press and leaders who loot the continent in connivance with their installed puppets.
I cant understand your conclusion from your premise. Are you suggesting we should continue deceiving ourselves about how corrupt we are, like when Jonathan said stealing is not corruption ? Libyas problems and our corruption status are totally unrelated. If we refuse to openly admit we are corrupt we won't start to fight it. Look at the ways China and Ghana has fought corruption- openly not by hiding it. Rawlings had to openly execute many politicians then and China imposed death penalty on the corrupt. Technically, this two countries openly admitted their corruption status hence the need for drastic legislation. Which effective penalty has Nigeria imposed on its corrupt ? It is only in Nigeria that laws against homosexuals are stiffer than laws against looters.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by GreatEngineer(m): 5:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
jinglesbaby:
The only advantage of this new policy that I can see is increased foreign investments! My problem exactly is that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages for Nigerian citizens who reside in Nigeria and earn NGN.
It's a free-for-all market now so fx "SHOULD" be easily accessible ! The prices of the things will definitely increase and it will snow in hell if there is no cap on it!

You are right there will more foreign investors coming into the country to invest and we forex will be available. Now the common man like me would suffer the more cos price of things will go up while my income remain the same.
Can you explain what is cap, does it mean govt. fixing a point for the exchange not to exceed?
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by anonimi: 5:32pm On Jun 15, 2016
docadams:
Or, worst still, GEJ import waiver

Do you mean the RCCG Adeboye waiver scandal under Ebola Owu

collins011:
ADEBOYE, REDEEM CHURCH LEADER IN N20 BILLION IMPORT WAIVER SCANDAL

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye has been linked to a scandalous import duty waiver said to have cost Nigeria a whooping N20 Billion in revenue loss between 2006 and 2007.

A Fiscal Commission source in Abuja preferring anonymity told Pointblanknews.com during the week that pastor Adeboye, tapping into his well-known ties with former President Olusegun Obasanjo benefited from the shady import duty waiver in which Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Chief Mike Adenuga, Alhaji Saminu Turaki, Mr. Donald Duke and others were prime beneficiaries.

According to the impeccable source, the duty waiver granted Adeboye was said to have been used “dishonestly” by the church to import luxury Sport Utility Van, SUV (usually called Jeep in Nigeria), building materials and Digital Recording equipment some of which were said to belong to top members of the church both within Nigeria and abroad. In other words, the source surmised that Adeboye used his high level connections to “aid and abate” his church members to defraud the nation by not paying the requisite importation fees.

The source said that many of the RCCG’s faithful in Nigeria and abroad had celebrated the “unlawful act” as a “testimony to the goodness of the lord.” It was said that a Pastor Ghandi of the Jesus House, RCCG in Washington DC where the late first lady Mrs. Stella Obasanjo used to worship whenever she was in the United State, was a facilitator of the deal.

Many of the luxury cars that were said to have been imported through the deal were not meant for private use. They were said to have been sold at several car dealerships across the country. The source explained to pointblanknews.com that even if the items were not traded, it was unheard of that “people would import duty-free luxury items into any country.”

The official did not rule out the possibility of a thorough investigation of the deal which he said could make Adeboye to pay and possibly face charges.

A document made available to pointblanknews.com indicated that in 2006, RCCG got an import waiver of N9,831,109,309.00 through certificate no.,BO/REV/12235/S.2/T.133 to import construction materials; generators and vehicles. The value of the imports was N49,155,546,846.00.

advertisement

In 2007, another import waiver was granted. This time through a certificate number BO/R10260/V111/161, RCCG was granted rights to import building/construction materials with value put at N48,988,454,876.00 with a total waiver of N9,757,690.975.20. The two waivers total N19,588,800,284,20, while the bulk transactions amount to N98,144,347,130.20.

Also 300 luxury cars with value put at $6,923,000, 100 Jeeps (SUV) valued at $8,000,000, Video Equipment valued at $12,000,000.00, were all part of the shady import deals.

It would be recalled that the comptroller General of Nigerian Customs Services, Mr. Jacob Gyang Buba had been investigated by the independent Corrupt Practices Commission, ICPC in connection with an annual loss of N50 Billion in respect of the importation tariff waiver introduced by the Government of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

The spiritual depth of some practices of the RCCG has been subject of concern amongst growing conservative Christian worshippers. Adeboye is often criticized for being interested in quantity and not quality. He is said to have broken his church to model parishes were prosperity theology is often preached. The other class of followership is usually called Redeemed Classical. They are more mortified and often completely scriptural. Apart from Adeboye’s too cozy with the high and mighty elite, he was said to have given tacit blessing to ex-president Obasanjo’s third-term Presidential dream that was truncated with sudden humiliation.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Shym3xx: 5:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
designking:

No, it has not created a double problem but an opportunity to attract investors to Nigeria. Our large population should be a great selling point for foreign manufacturers to setup factories in Nigeria. Two factors has made them less interested namely:

1.) Our businesses feels more comfortable running to china, taiwan, dubai, london etc to buy their goods at exorbitant prices. Why build a factory in Nigeria when these companies target trade volume for Nigeria is regularly achieved without moving an inch. We have a 200million buying population and that is enticing enough for any foreign business. Why do you think MTN is very interested in Nigeria after a fine of over $1billion.

2.) Inability for foreign investors to repatriate funds back to their home country as a result of restrictive FX policies.

What they're telling you in layman's term is that: salary will remain the same, but prices would double, thus slowly but surely wiping out the "middle class" who're the backbone of every economy and it will triple the poverty rate lol.

Population means nothing when there's no viable middle class and as an investor, I won't want to invest in a country like that unless I only deal with luxury goods the upper class can afford.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by omolola15(m): 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2016
happney65:

omolola15 come and see..the same thing he said he wont do he eventually did after destroying everything.. WU and MG sef don dey give us 300naira per dollar..The highest so-far in the History of this Nation..Oya continue...Eyin weeere

Tell me what he did actually. The person you quoted don't understand it himself. Please just summarize for me what he did. And don't even say devalue because that's a different thing entirely.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by iyke484real(m): 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2016
davide470:

http://nairametrics.com/its-official-cbn-floats-the-naira-the-implications-for-you-and-i/
the next thing will be govment want to bail naira Oh pls tell them that me and my beautiful girl friend are not part of it!
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jinglesbaby: 5:38pm On Jun 15, 2016
Yeah, my dear. A price it must not exceed

GreatEngineer:

You are right there will more foreign investors coming into the country to invest and we forex will be available. Now the common man like me would suffer the more cos price of things will go up while my income remain the same.
Can you explain what is cap, does it mean govt. fixing a point for the exchange not to exceed?
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jam13: 5:40pm On Jun 15, 2016
[quote author=adebrave1 post=46599804]I don't understand all these stuffs

My own be say when I want to buy garri, rice, tomatoes, pepper, yam, phones and other trivial things let them be cheap and affordable.

I studied biochemistry and as such I can't comprehend the forex trading stuff. I don't understand it all.

As far as e no affect garri and rice. No shit. If not the government are in trouble oh.

Bro, dont limit yourself to your discipline. Forex trading stuff are simpler than those pathways u were able to comprehend in school days. All u need is to be interested in d topic and off u go!
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by awesomeb1783(m): 5:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
After calling Nig shithole and you want to succeed in it? Can I remind you that it's only a shithead that will succeed in shithole
alexistaiwo:
this is getting stale. Have lost faith in this pathetic government. If CBN like let them put naira @ 10000 to dollar. The average Nigerian that will succeed in this shithole called Nigeria will succeed and I am definitely one of them.
enough said
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by adanny01(m): 5:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
collinsVP:
What is the naira - dollar cycle

Inflow:

1. Oil export
2.reparterations from Nigeria experteraits
3.other non oil exports( agricultural products)
4.expertrates coming into the country for tourism and investments etc.

Outflow:
Import of goods
Payments of fees in dollars abroad
etc.

The point is if the difference was negative naira will continue to suffer.

Fact is; the economy is such that no foreign investment will be attracted and the incessant changes in government policy among other factors will continue to scare foreign investment.

I see a deeper exchange rate

The outflow is higher than the inflow.

The only thing i think i understood is that, after suspending the outflow for a while the inflow has now climbed over the outflow so they will open the gates for outflow.

If thats the case, very good. However, Nigerias are not in the habit of returning prices to the old rate ones it goes up.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by jinglesbaby: 5:44pm On Jun 15, 2016
How many things are "Made in England" despite their good roads, hospitals, education et all? It's mostly because of taxes! We all go to China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Vietnam to import "common pant (what we call pata in Yoruba)"! Even Marks & Spencer where I buy my undergarments go to Asia to buy! If we can start running "sweat-shops" sha like we have in Aba, maybe we will attract foreign investment too. The only things that are made in UK these days are "mixed-race babies and sham marriages" smiley! We dont have all these basic social amenities that would attract foreign investors no matter how willing they are to invest because of the foreign exchange policies. There are always two sides to a coin at the end of the day.

Shym3xx:

What they're telling you in layman's term is that: salary will remain the same, but prices would double, thus slowly but surely wiping out the "middle class" who're the backbone of every economy and it will triple the poverty rate lol.

Population means nothing when there's no viable middle class and as an investor, I won't want to invest in a country like that unless I only deal with luxury goods the upper class can afford.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by mondraim: 5:45pm On Jun 15, 2016
But why wait to be employed if the available jobs are few? In a space of time it takes to read and digest a complete guide book as well as continual review of the resource material , you can set up your own business. 

Any resource that gives you the capacity to consult limitless times is great for you. A workshop or seminar is good but if not backed with an in depth resource, it doesn't help much. Our youths need to return to traditional book reading.

One highly valued and pricey gadget in the hands of billions of humans is the Mobile phone. A good technician can take home between minimum N5, 000 to N20, 000 or more daily as you grow. Its market demand as a service is unending. Both now and in the nearest future, most humans own and would own mobile phones more than a laptop or computer. User penetration is higher and that is money to be made. 

There can never be enough technicians supporting a particular area, even an estate in a city! Why not be one - and classy, intelligent, well learned tech-support guy too. It's far better than a job that you wear tie to daily for a paltry N50k- 70k, a graduate! And this is prevalent in all Nigerian major cities;Abuja, Lagos, Port harcourt etc Some earn 30k!!! Graduates!! After how many years in school? You can start right at home, with a small capital as low as N10k! Why? The main capital is the knowledge + start-up tools. Some of the laptops young people own and use to watch films or play games or it's just cool to own one, can make them real cash if only they know how! It's all in this book.

Get the book, titled " Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs : A Complete Guide for Beginners and Professionals " and I guarantee you are on the path to financial freedom.

Right now it's available on Amazon, Createspace (https://www.createspace.com/6165715) and other online stores. It would soon hit Nigerian bookstores.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Mattex001(m): 5:45pm On Jun 15, 2016
I'm expectant..... I have Faith in Naija do You ?
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Shym3xx: 5:56pm On Jun 15, 2016
jinglesbaby:
How many things are "Made in England" despite their good roads, hospitals, education et all! We all go to China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Vietnam to import "common pant (what we call pata in Yoruba)"! We dont have all these basic social amenities that would attract foreign investors no matter how willing they are to invest because of the foreign exchange policies. There are always two sides to a coin at the end of the day.

Lol. Even the Bank of England intervenes all the time to keep the Pounds Sterling afloat. Now imagine a country as unstable as Nigeria, with a very weak currency and, volatility in everything - yet they think pure float is the best option and some investors would fly out of thin air to invest there. It will dawn on them soon. grin

Anyway, anyone interested in reading the implications of pure floating on emerging economies can read this research paper from UCLA (it cited Russia, Mexico et al): http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/sebastian.edwards/emerging.pdf

I don't know how Nigeria will escape hyperinflation (with the crazy inflation already plaguing the country) and most likely a default with this one. I'll be on the look-out, regardless.

As for the lousy economic theorists, who're no different from MBA holders who can't run a simple business, it'll dawn on you lot as well, when poverty hits you in ya faces lool.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by GreatEngineer(m): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
jinglesbaby:
Yeah, my dear. A price it must not exceed

OK with the CAP in place, it will be fine and will work well but without it, sorry we are in for another messy trial and error policy cos people salary still remain the same while everything in the market will hit the sky.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by tosinjay(m): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
Does this mean we'll have to go and inform banks or whoever what we wanna do with dollar before we can buy?
If that's the case i see even worser than before oo, meaning no other option!!
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by demmymoney(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2016
joseph1013:
After crashing the economy with his stubbornness, Buhari goes back to his vomit and does the same thing he swore not to do, both on local and international media.

May we not be cursed with leaders whose egos are bigger than their love of the common good of the masses.

No my guy its ignorance dats killing u....
Visit www.hiddensecretsofmoney.com for better understanding

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jamil Abubakar: Meet Fatima Dangote's Pilot Husband-to-be (photos) / 5 Profitable Things That Will Always Sell In Nigeria / Kuda Bank Called EFCC On My Friend Over N800k - Bryson Adah Cole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.