Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) (54098 Views)

Burial Poster Of Kogi State NYSC Member Who Died In Service On December 2017 / Attacks In Kaduna, Corpers Are Afraid Of Going Back Come January. / Should I Go For My National Youth Service? -nysc.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by rhektor(m): 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
Vickyydera:
They are paid higher because the spend more years in school, coupled with the fact that their course is very demanding.

Lobish, do they serve the nation beyond one year? This is illogical and cheating. It is called national service not professional service. If they are favoured than others it means the government is telling us that doctors are better citizens than other professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
zubby55:
medical laboratory science is now 6yrs...you get awarded with Dmls

Dmls? Chia! chairman be truthful small abeg. I wonder why these med lab guys always like lying. una be Liar Muhammad? yoy always like comparing yourselves with the med Dr's and pharmacist's why in actual fact only God knows what you people are doing. In terms of everything you don't come close to these people you compare yourselves with. even in school you don't undergo the stress they go through. I blame the pharmacists for joining that illegal union called JOHESU. While medical and pharmacy students are always occupied with their studies in school, you guys are always busy chasing men and women or attending parties. student nurses do more work than you self. Dmls my foot.

6 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by corruptst(m): 12:40pm On Jun 16, 2016
I honestly believe all professions are important and do their part to move the economy forward. However, it is quite difficult to quantity the extent of workdone in relation to pay. Doctors deserve to be paid well with respect to international best practices. So also should other professions. I think the issue here is relativity. I'm a doctor, I work extra hours, extra days and night (weekends and holidays inclusive). I don't own my life: my patients own me, not even my family. I'm exposed & susceptible to diseases daily e.g ebola, HIV, hepatitis. With all these, I think I deserve to be paid more but would love it more if other professions are paid `relatively' well.

7 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by ogawisdom(m): 12:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
Why all d noise abt corper doctor pay

D only reason for d disparity is dt doctors r still relatively more scarce, am yet to see them carry CV arnd begging for job. Scarcity creates value dts simple economics. Abundant supply kills value

Every other profession is over bloated, u will see engineers begging u to give them job to teach in primary sch for mere 8k monthly, lawyers will beg for 20k to b in a chamber n so is other professions.

But in d real world when d chips r down doctors r nt even classed as rich

6 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Drdonzeez(m): 12:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
I think only medicine/Dentistry students spend an average of 7 years in school without strikeMind you,I mean years not sessions.Engineering students spend an average of 4 years without strike.And to graduate from medical school no be seresere.

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by mikolo80: 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Vickyydera:
They are paid higher because the spend more years in school, coupled with the fact that their course is very demanding.
architecture and pharmacy and masters holders and engineering are easy ba?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by poseidonsaiz(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
nelszx:

The Medical sector have been able to contain the spread of Ebola and lassa haemorrhagic fever. That enough thing to boast of

Quickie for you, over the past five years,how has the medical sector been able to contain the rising case of mortality rate in Nigeria?? How many govt owned hospitals can proudly come out and boast of giving the best medical care TO THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN? We,the engineers can proudly say we satisfy the needs of the high and meek on a regular,rigours or not,night or day,securing your safety on the road,in ur homes we conveniently ensure the best for you,and try to be good citizens while we are at it... How many certified engineers can u point out that has headlined the media for been FAKES compared to our beloved docs?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Drdonzeez(m): 1:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

Dmls? Chia! chairman be truthful small abeg. I wonder why these med lab guys always like lying. una be Liar Muhammad? yoy always like comparing yourselves with the med Dr's and pharmacist's why in actual fact only God knows what you people are doing. In terms of everything you don't come close to these people you compare yourselves with. even in school you don't undergo the stress they go through. I blame the pharmacists for joining that illegal union called JOHESU. While medical and pharmacy students are always occupied with their studies in school, you guys are always busy chasing men and women or attending parties. student nurses do more work than you self. Dmls my foot.
you've only spoken out of point.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
mikolo80:
architecture and pharmacy and masters holders and engineering are easy ba?

When you say pharmacist's I understand but architects? are they saving life and do they run call? allow the medics to be please.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by docbindl(m): 1:06pm On Jun 16, 2016
chiefmidwife:
Am a nurse/midwife..I undertook more than 50 deliveries within 3months in my nysc..
I worked more than any corper doctor in my hospital ppa but received little while corper doctors earn the money 95k+
I think there is injustice/discrepancy in nigerian scheme of service..this is exactly what is going on now in nigerian hospitals..if you are nt a doctor you are nothing..it's nt like that abroad..
Even if doctors spend 10yrs in university they are serving nigeria and everybody serving nigeria should receive the same pay

Everybody serving the Nigeria is definitely receiving the same pay and that's 19800. The discrepancy that you have noticed is not coming from the federal government. The federal government pays everyone the same. It's coming at the level of the state and local government, and it's based on what they value. Where I served, Teachers were paid more than pharmacist by the local government chairman. It was only doctors that earned more. The local government said he needed more doctors and teacher than other professional, in fact he paid the Zonal inspector to please influence the deployment of teachers and doctors to his LG. So its about the demand. Federal government pays everyone equally
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Drdonzeez(m): 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

you've only spoken out of point nigga.And what's your problem with Dmls?when pcn started the issue of pharmD,what did you do?And how dare you say pharmacists or doctors work more than the lab scientists,when ofcourse If you're mature enough, you should know there's always relativity.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 16, 2016
cassie29:
its funny how you guys reason..on average doctors spend 7+years in school plus 1 year intership then service and are exposed to various hazards eg lassa fever ,Ebola and They are still expected to treat ...A corp member died in kaduna because of this same lassa fever.would you willing risk your life for 19,800?
Besides most doctors earn close to 200k before service so going for service to collect 50k is a serious sacrifice..its never too late to go back to school if it affects you 2 much
The course duration isn't 7yrs,it's 6yrs.So if u spent 7yrs+,blame strike or your unintelligence for that,the latter for probably having issues at one level or the other.Some professions also go for internships;the likes of pharmacy,physiotherapy,med lab and optometry.Apparently, the nurses are closer to the patients than any other set of practitioners in the hospital as a whole.Close to 200k for the lucky ones that served as interns in federal hospitals or teaching hospitals.The ones in states and privates earn nothing close that figure.
And for your last statement,not everyone has the passion to put in for medicine.Your statement only points to the fact you filled in medicine for the prestige,job security and money,, ostensibly not for the passion to save lives.If you're a med student,I seriously hope you don't have that misnomeric mindset you'll be raking in hundreds of thousands after NysC as a med doctor,if so,you'll be damn frustrated and disappointed if you have no passion for it ultimately,reason being it isn't so.

Mind you,I'm not into d health aspect @ all.So this isn't sentiment.

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by DRCHARLIEz(m): 1:13pm On Jun 16, 2016
All those in d medical team are paid higher because they r used 2 run most primary health care facilities.for instance I was the only doctor in the community I served and had 2 take care of the health need of the whole community.even during training as interns,they r paid higher than they receive during service.so the pay is jst like an encouragement because they deal wt lives
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by nelszx: 1:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

You claim dey do nothing yet ur Pathologists want to do what dey are doing isn't that sheer hypocrisy? Besides DMLS has been running in neighbouring Ghana for years now even in the US and other countries so don't talk out of point. The curriculum is being reviewed by the NUC for starting up.

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Kaysalas(m): 1:20pm On Jun 16, 2016
poseidonsaiz:

Then I suppose the military should be paid a million a month,going by this explaination... Listen,u cannot pay a corp doc 150k,nd pay an engineer 5k under the same system created for unification,equality and exposure... What msg r u passing to every other area of specialization?? That we r worthless,because we only spent 5yrs studying engineering?? Trying to better the dwindling fortunes of our existence in the 21st century? Fyi,we build basically gadgets and devices meant to AID the work of yol docs much better.. Am sure it wud hv been fair if you docs only had your hands and ur books to work wif,no stetoscope,no oxygen tanks,no anaesthetics,no nufin... I dey vex!
Lol! Wet in u build? Na u build am?
Guy! FORGET! WE NOR DEY BUILD ANYTHING! NA "USE" WE DEY "USE " O! Na Oyinbo dey build. Maybe when we actually start building, we would be taken seriously

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 16, 2016
milky3:

not a medical student but a science laboratory student
thks u look good too
lol SLT na pure science not medical science.. na 19500 una de collect
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by obynaDmob(m): 1:25pm On Jun 16, 2016
jubebaister:
The difference is much. See what Sokoto state now pays...

Corper doctors 50k (No wonder every science student wants to study med surge)
Pharmacists 25k (When d above fail, they resort to pharmacy or optometry)
Nurses/Medical Technicians 15k
Social sciences/Humanities 5k ( grin) Chai!!

See gapppp.

Please note that in sokoto, optometrists were being paid the 36k dey pay medical doctors and dentists. Meaning dey wud take home 50k with the new increment. Remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2016
Femmysneh:
I wonder why it goes that way. It shdnt be so. Others past through universities. And that is why we have some uncalled problems concerning our academic sector. Everybody wants to be called a university graduant thereby neglecting polytechnics,colleges of education and monopolys. Every kids want to be a doctor. I think its high time we cancelled the University Education.
say who u be?

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by upros(m): 1:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
drered:
What you have to understand is it takes a whole lot to become a Doctor /Pharmacist. A Doctor /Pharmacist spends an average of 6/5 years in school. Then they proceed to do their one year housemanship /internship during which their net salary is an average of 120-200k. Apart from the heavy responsibility they have the idea is the increased pay as relative to other Corp members is a way to cushion the sharp drop in earnings during the youth corps. That aside the government can do a whole lot more for Corp members from other discipline..

Doctors actually spend 8+x, years in school,..Uniben med/den school as case study...
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by ZionBee: 1:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
I see no reason why they shouldn't be paid much.

While serving i had a doctor friend, also serving and getting 98K outside Alawie.. but i couldn't envy her because she had no personal time.

She was also in the hospital running shifts, doing surgeries, helping women deliver their babies, doing everything a doctor in a hopital does.

They can call her from 12midnyt to 12pm daily

So i say she deserves it as well as many docs out there subjected to such

6 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
Drdonzeez:
you've only spoken out of point nigga.And what's your problem with Dmls?when pcn started the issue of pharmD,what did you do?And how dare you say pharmacists or doctors work more than the lab scientists,when ofcourse If you're mature enough, you should know there's always relativity.

right from the classroom to the hospital you know deep within you that they work more than you do. on relativity you should have known that you are not on the same scale.
If not in Naija have you ever seen a laboratory scientist comparing himself with a Dr or a pharmacist's?
I've seen a number of them boasting even with their defective knowledge of physiology and biochemistry that they can handle a patient when they know nothing about pathology, pharmacology, toxicology and therapeutics. A nurse is more clinically sound than you are.
I was reading in the common room and one of them approached me challenging my knowledge of pharmacology. I asked her a simple question on the first line drugs used in the management of malaria in Nigeria and she said ACT. I then asked what ACT was and she said tetracycline. I'm a pharmacist and because I want a greater responsibility and role as regards the patient, I got into medical school. Everyone is important in patient care but some comparison are baseless.

4 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
croSStodds:
I don't get,how is it 1/20?yours is 6yrs while hers is 5yrs,A year difference doesn't make it one-twentieth of it nah.I totally agree with the fact it's kind of inferior to medicine,but that difference in relativity is just too much.
I even over-rated midwifery self. The whole midwifery is about 1/20 of O (obstetrics) in O & G ( Obstetrics & Gyaenecology). So, in whole, midwifery is about 1/300 of Medicine & Surgery, in scope and content. In MBBS, we have over 30 degrees compressed into two degrees. Everything they learn in Midwifery school for 18months, is taught in medschool in less than a month.

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by snowblaq(f): 1:56pm On Jun 16, 2016
Querty:

Pharmacists are also paid higher than other corpers...but Doctors r paid more...im a Pharmacist so I wld know.

but why are lawyers ,pharmacists, med lab scientists who spent 6years , even Engineers who spent 5 years with tedious work are not paid like dat?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by snowblaq(f): 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=rotimileke post=4662799
right from the classroom to the hospital you know deep within you that they work more than you do. on relativity you should have known that you are not on the same scale.
If not in Naija have you ever seen a laboratory scientist comparing himself with a Dr or a pharmacist's?
I've seen a number of them boasting even with their defective knowledge of physiology and biochemistry that they can handle a patient when they know nothing about pathology, pharmacology, toxicology and therapeutics. A nurse is more clinically sound than you are.
I was reading in the common room and one of them approached me challenging my knowledge of pharmacology. I asked her a simple question on the first line drugs used in the management of malaria in Nigeria and she said ACT. I then asked what ACT was and she said tetracycline. I'm a pharmacist and because I want a greater responsibility and role as regards the patient, I got into medical school. Everyone is important in patient care but some comparison are baseless. [/quote].......as men of honour...we join hands...dont mind dem o jare...they like making baseless noise
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by nelszx: 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

I was reading in the common room and one of them approached me challenging my knowledge of pharmacology. I asked her a simple question on the first line drugs used in the management of malaria in Nigeria and she said ACT. I then asked what ACT was and she said tetracycline. I'm a pharmacist and because I want a greater responsibility and role as regards the patient, I got into medical school. Everyone is important in patient care but some comparison are baseless.

It's funny how you come here to show ur ignorance. Incase u don't know a Mlsct studied all you mentioned physiology and Biochemistry for 2 solid years, pharmacology, and do you know we study all aspects of pathology (toxicology inclusive).
It's easier to say from the outside or better still what is it you think dey do.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by mikolo80: 2:03pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

When you say pharmacist's I understand but architects? are they saving life and do they run call? allow the medics to be please.
why because you're anymore special than others abi. Service is service. It's not salary job.
Of course they should be paid more in the labour market place for above mentioned reasons. But not in national service
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by snowblaq(f): 2:04pm On Jun 16, 2016
Akwaibom state....corper doctors..60k....Pharmacists...40k...Nurses...21k
obynaDmob:

Please note that in sokoto, optometrists were being paid the 36k dey pay medical doctors and dentists. Meaning dey wud take home 50k with the new increment. Remain blessed.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 16, 2016
nelszx:

You claim dey do nothing yet ur Pathologists want to do what dey are doing isn't that sheer hypocrisy? Besides DMLS has been running in neighbouring Ghana for years now even in the US and other countries so don't talk out of point. The curriculum is being reviewed by the NUC for starting up.

keep on deceiving yourself. A pathologist is a specialist doctor not a laboratory scientist.
As for the Dmls, anything that will lead to improved patient care is welcome but not when you can't even run your bmls. you lack the facilities and personnel. Most of the universities running bmls now have their licence withdrawn by the NUC. Only your council is kicking so i don't know where you are coming from by saying that the curriculum is being reviewed for start up.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by eyinjuege: 2:10pm On Jun 16, 2016
Querty:

ok!!

but why are lawyers ,pharmacists, med lab scientists who spent 6years , even Engineers who spent 5 years with tedious work are not paid like dat?

Their pay appears higher because they take calls, and spend extra hours more than the regular job.
Pharmacists, med lab scientists are also paid higher than the average corper.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by nelszx: 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2016
rotimileke:

keep on deceiving yourself. A pathologist is a specialist doctor not a laboratory scientist.
As for the Dmls, anything that will lead to improved patient care is welcome but not when you can't even run your bmls. you lack the facilities and personnel. Most of the universities running bmls now have their licence withdrawn by the NUC. Only your council is kicking so i don't know where you are coming from by saying that the curriculum is being reviewed for start up.

Comprehension is ur problem read before you react. NUC don't withdraw licence but the council does. I shouldn't be educating you here or isn't MDCN and PCN the bodies that gives licence for medical and pharmaceutical practices in the university?
Well you have only said ur opinion and it's respected but don't go spread falsehood you not sure of. Physiology and Biochemistry is 2 years same as for medicine, pharmacology and therapeutics is a full academic session, pathology u study till you graduate (u specialise in one) and clinical Chemistry and toxicology is just an aspect of it
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 16, 2016
upros:

Doctors actually spend 8+x, years in school,..Uniben med/den school as case study...
Mister man,don't misninform people on this forum.Medicine and surgery is 6yrs.My junior sis spent 5yrs and 9months in unilorin 2009/2010 set.If you spent more than that,it's probably due to strike or repeating one level or the other.8yrs ko,88yrs ni.Bullshit..

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2016
Vickyydera:
That's not an excuse sir/ma building technology and civil engineering students spend 5years in school and those 2 courses are very demanding.
Civil and building students are sent to primary school to teach while medical corpers are given special treatment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Corper In Bum Short Khaki And Boot / Anambra Police Declare Corps Member Wanted / Corper Runs Mad In Enugu In His NYSC Uniform (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.