Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) (54003 Views)

Burial Poster Of Kogi State NYSC Member Who Died In Service On December 2017 / Attacks In Kaduna, Corpers Are Afraid Of Going Back Come January. / Should I Go For My National Youth Service? -nysc.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Saheed9: 10:27am On Jun 16, 2016
loadux:
Before service we usu. Do a yr of internship in which most of us are paid abt 5-10times what we earn doing service.
Besides Corper drs are licensed so they are liable for lives & can be sued, don't think other professn has that kind of responsibility.
I was about saying this, they are underpaid sef

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by AntiWailer: 10:27am On Jun 16, 2016
Paid higher after nysc ??

No ....

That matters most

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by bensonlee770: 10:27am On Jun 16, 2016
Justified

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by drered(m): 10:31am On Jun 16, 2016
What you have to understand is it takes a whole lot to become a Doctor /Pharmacist. A Doctor /Pharmacist spends an average of 6/5 years in school. Then they proceed to do their one year housemanship /internship during which their net salary is an average of 120-200k. Apart from the heavy responsibility they have the idea is the increased pay as relative to other Corp members is a way to cushion the sharp drop in earnings during the youth corps. That aside the government can do a whole lot more for Corp members from other discipline..

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 16, 2016
Nigerian doctors n politicians are ironically...

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by TruthTella(m): 10:33am On Jun 16, 2016
Not the medical corpers in Ebonyi. The medical corpers in Ebonyi are paid next to nothing.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Femmysneh(m): 10:34am On Jun 16, 2016
I wonder why it goes that way. It shdnt be so. Others past through universities. And that is why we have some uncalled problems concerning our academic sector. Everybody wants to be called a university graduant thereby neglecting polytechnics,colleges of education and monopolys. Every kids want to be a doctor. I think its high time we cancelled the University Education.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by veraiyke(m): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2016
Did you do my course to know how demanding it was? So everyone must do medicine abi
Vickyydera:
They are paid higher because the spend more years in school, coupled with the fact that their course is very demanding.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by uzolexis(f): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2016
Femmysneh:
I wonder why it goes that way. It shdnt be so. Others past through universities. And that is why we have some uncalled problems concerning our academic sector. Everybody wants to be called a university graduant thereby neglecting polytechnics,colleges of education and monopolys. Every kids want to be a doctor. I think its high time we cancelled the University Education.

Doctors are paid a higher average wage than every other profession all over the world. They deal directly with human life, spend more years in school, pay higher fees for med school and all that accumulates to higher wages afterwards.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by handsomeyinka(m): 10:38am On Jun 16, 2016
milky3:
you can't compare them to others cos they are doing extraordinary work
.....You no bleach!!!!na d camera dey confused....

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Afrobasic(m): 10:39am On Jun 16, 2016
Vickyydera:
They are paid higher because the spend more years in school, coupled with the fact that their course is very demanding.

Person wey get extra year spend 2yr + 5yrs for engineering nko

Abi, no be the same "spend more years in school" logic?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by MadCow1: 10:40am On Jun 16, 2016
OP Dont worry about it.. God has a way of balancing the scores.. grin

After NYSC, Many of them no dey see that kind money again.. grin

Meanwhile the others stand a better chance of getting good jobs.

4 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 16, 2016
Becoming a MD is not the same as obtaining your BSc in Yoruba Knowledge...

6 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by drebaba1(m): 10:44am On Jun 16, 2016
I admire this reply.. Thumbs up. quote author=Vickyydera post=46604203]They already did.
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by veraiyke(m): 10:47am On Jun 16, 2016
I am not in the medical field and let me tell you the doctors do no extra work in camp. Those who want to enjoy it do so. I left my work where I am paid four times nysc monthly allowance to come and do nysc. I am responsible for my assigned duty in my ppa and can be questioned too. There's no justification whatever for that disparity. We are all serving our father land in our different ways. Let's stop hyping the medical field. We can't all be doctors. That doesn't mean the other fields are less important. Think about a world where there's only medical inclined. Shebi d president and senators n d highly placed n rich are doctors. We need change our mindset.
thesicilian:
Even the doctors are complaining about the poor pay during service, you're here talking. Most doctors would rather not go for nysc.
Can't forget what an 'Engineering corper said to me when we were receiving our N19,800 after the 3wks orientation: He said if it was possible he would repeat nysc year because of that money, and I was like, wow, when I'm grumbling about it self!
But to answer your question, apart from the fact that they have well overpaid their dues for it in medical school, even in nysc camp the doctors are working in the camp clinic while others are out there having fun. Some even take deliveries and do minor operations for no extra pay. After camp they work as full time doctors while receiving a corper's pay

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by croSStodds(m): 10:50am On Jun 16, 2016
laryom1:
correction: the above mentioned courses are all five years.
Excluding pharmacy which is 6yrs in some schools e.g Uniben.You get awarded with a pharmD
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by drered(m): 10:50am On Jun 16, 2016
MadCow1:

Funny.. Actually they get a whole lot more in multiples even. But then the fact remains that they are much more readily absorbed into the system as they are ready jobs as relative to others from other discipline but people from other discipline have a high sometimes higher earning potential than health workers it usually just takes a while..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by thesicilian: 10:51am On Jun 16, 2016
veraiyke:
I am not in the medical field and let me tell you the doctors do no extra work in camp. Those who want to enjoy it do so. I left my work where I am paid four times nysc monthly allowance to come and do nysc. I am responsible for my assigned duty in my ppa and can be questioned too. There's no justification whatever for that disparity. We are all serving our father land in our different ways. Let's stop hyping the medical field. We can't all be doctors. That doesn't mean the other fields are less important. Think about a world where there's only medical inclined. Shebi d president and senators n d highly placed n rich are doctors. We need change our mindset.
Get a grip on your self esteem pls. Your whole narration reeks of low self esteem. 4x 19,800 is about 79,200. That is still way less than half of what these doctors were earning before coming to camp. Like you said, there are many in this country earning way more than doctors so instead of berating them, why not set the bar higher for yourself?

5 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Querty(m): 10:57am On Jun 16, 2016
I finally made FP
I dedicate dis to my crush Diezani Allison Madueke

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Olukokosir(m): 10:57am On Jun 16, 2016
How much do dey pay pple dat study "psychology" ?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Maxvasia(m): 10:57am On Jun 16, 2016
Querty:
Some times I wonder why the disparities..
I have observed that in most of the states, medical doctors are paid much more than. other people in other professions.. (NYSC)

plse, enlightened people, lets know the reasons..
Because we av paid our dues. Besides, its standard practice internationally. Nigeria is the only country whose citizens wonder y it should be so.

1 Like

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by mencer(m): 10:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Serving Doctors are not just graduates of medicine they are Certified medical Professionals they are fully backed by the Nigeria medical council.

3 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Olukokosir(m): 10:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Querty:
I finally made FP
I dedicate dis to my crush Diezani Allison Madueke

Bros ...dz na 2nd page ..wake up from ya dream
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Querty(m): 10:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Olukokosir:
How much do dey pay pple dat study "psychology" ?

Lolzz

I.may need to ask someone
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by engrjacuzzi: 10:59am On Jun 16, 2016
I'm not disputing doctors been paid above other disciplines, but I think engineers should be well paid too irrespective of the discipline. as for our law makers,they should be placed on the same salary structure of civil servant or medical practitioners.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Querty(m): 11:03am On Jun 16, 2016
MadCow1:

hmmm

but I hardly see medical doctors storming d Job section of nairaland searching or crying for Jobs

my observation though!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by GCsomething: 11:03am On Jun 16, 2016
I only would say the profession is better pretty organised than the others like Engineering that is highly political.
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by veraiyke(m): 11:05am On Jun 16, 2016
Lolz it isn't low esteem. I am proud of what I do at this very level. I am high. If not for nysc I would be working and going about my masters now. I aim for something high but you've got to strt smwer abi.
thesicilian:

Get a grip on your self esteem pls. Your whole narration reeks of low self esteem. 4x 19,800 is about 79,200. That is still way less than half of what these doctors were earning before coming to camp. Like you said, there are many in this country earning way more than doctors so instead of berating them, why not set the bar higher for yourself?
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by docbindl(m): 11:06am On Jun 16, 2016
All the reason stated above are valid. However the real reason is simple... There's a demand for doctors in all the state. If you do a demographic analogy, NYSC doctors in the North are paid more than their southern counterpart on the average, this is basically bcoz there's a huge demand for medical doctors in the north.
The Medical personnel are the only set of ppol who the NYSC don't change their job description. Most other courses ends up being teachers or assistant in the local government offices. But the doctors stays a doctor. If he happens to be the only doctor in that locality, he's on call 24/7. He's also liable for every action he takes bcoz he has being inducted, so he can be sued for medical malpractice and negligence.

But the crust of the matter is that, there's still a large disparity btw the availability or doctors and the population of the country.
WHO standard is 1 doctor to 30 patient. As at the last count the total doctor in this country is 90000.( that's assuming that all are alive and all are practicing in the country; which we know is not possible)

So my brother, it's the demand for doctors and this doctors go to the places where their other doctors don't want to go ( THE RURAL AREAS)

6 Likes

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by Obiochajumbo123: 11:06am On Jun 16, 2016
Apart from the obvious disparity in workload pre-graduation, there are some other conditions that are peculiar to doctors. Most take calls at night and work during d weekends and public holidays, even Xmas, Easter and d eids are not spared . Some teach younger doctors and medical students. Also, there are a lot of potentially fatal harzards they are exposed to. Above all, they are liable for the lives and well beings of the patients they encounter and can be sued for malpractice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by laryom1(m): 11:08am On Jun 16, 2016
croSStodds:
Excluding pharmacy which is 6yrs in some schools e.g Uniben.You get awarded with a pharmD
lol. You need to check this or your jamb brochure.
https://cdnetng.org/?q=node/979
Re: Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) by nelszx: 11:08am On Jun 16, 2016
mencer:
Serving Doctors are not just graduates of medicine they are Certified medical Professionals they are fully backed by the Nigeria medical council.

All serving health professionals are not just graduates they are fully certified and licensed before going for NYSC not just doctors but all of them

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Corper Tonia's Mother Got Her Through University Through Her Petty Business / Hilarious Excuse A Corper Gave For Redeployment / Corper In Bum Short Khaki And Boot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.