Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,683 members, 7,837,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? (4333 Views)

It Has Started: Boko Haram Now Being Reformed As Good Guys By The CIA / Tambuwal Suit: Court Directs That The IG Of Police Be Put On Notice Properly / Must The Nigerian Police Be Bribed For Everything? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ayobase(m): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2009
#slaughter

Just getting to know that today

Nigeria Is Blessed!
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ayobase(m): 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2009
Do u know what they call TUFIAKWA?
Am I correct?
That is what Nigeria police force is!

Nigeria Is Blessed!
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by oluagness(m): 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2009
The whole system is corrupt. We need some God fearing leaders among police.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Spyker: 4:02pm On Aug 31, 2009
Reform you say, Not in Nigeria. The police can only be reformed if we operate it like the USA did. Examples are

a. National or Federal Police eg.National Guard/FBI
b. State Police eg. NYPD, LAPD etc like in the US
c. Local Police eg. County Police

One each locally has it police, why would criminals come to Lagos and kidnap somebody yet ransome would be demanded from another state. If the local police does not flush out the criminals from the locality, the Federal Police as we have their are just wasting tax payers money.
How can you send an Aboki man to police in Bayelsa state, a region he knows little or nothing apart. Most persons always say this method won't work, they politicians who hijack it. Good thought i would say, but if a politician hijack the local police, can he escape the one of the state and federal ones. Crime is Crime and must be treated as such. If the general populace is secured, who cares if the politicians want to hijack it. The present situation is worse because the police is now meant for the man who has the money to pay for them. Is it not the same politician who has hijacked it.

Please for any reform to be meaningful, local policing is the key to all crime solving. Use the locals, their are many communities in Nigeria surviving by using vigilantes'. How long are we going to leave in a country where policing has become for the rich and the influential.
We don't have a database as a Nation, so what would spending billions for equipment be for, a ware house?
Please reform the structure of the Police first, gradually the corrupt ones would have be sent to their locally. They won't be able to abuse their own brother's and sister's right.

My thoughts shaa.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by rickie4us(m): 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2009
no solution
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Theblessed(f): 4:10pm On Aug 31, 2009
Shola2009:

Increase their salary!.thats the simple solution, the only reason why they collect bride and can be easily manipulated is because they income insnt sufficient,  if that can be settled i dont think they'll need anybody's money

[b] You see, Shola it's a good idea.  It's one thing asking for salary increment and hope that the Nigerian Police attitudes would change, as a result. But I say 'No', their attitudes won't change!
If you like raised their salary level higher than that of their British, American, France, Germany and Swedish counterparts respectively, the Nigerian Police will always ask for BRIBE.  It doesn't matter with how much you raise the salary scale, Nigerian police would not get enough because, CORRUPTION is in their BLOOD therefore, inborn in their psych.  In addition, Nigerians are GREEDY PEOPLE BY NATURE - the never get enough. There's no covering up here because, we are! Always, comparing and competing with each other.  They see their neighbour, friend etc has got a 4 x 4 hey, they want it without ASKING HOW MUCH DO i MAKE, CAN I AFFORD IT?Huh!  Instead, they say I
must get one and they usually do at every cost mainly, at the expense of a hardworking innocent victim hence, the trouble we have in Nigerian today with the POLITICIANS, ARM ROBBERS, KIDNAPPERS demanding or stealing a fortune that's not theirs.  And after few week ask for the Ransom and see what you get.  They can't account for the money because they have lavished it and even have the gut to gone back for more. Now, tell me how could someone without a job own a car?  Or someone that earns less than £100.00 a week (if they are lucky!!) own a car an expensive one?  Probably, an inheritance from that rogue Senator called uncle, maybe! Hmmmm!!

In terms of reform, I believe there could be a cure to this problem but we must all help, no matter how small by overlooking our tribal lines (if we can) and vote according to what we believe in and the BIG DREAMS we have and share for our beautiful and blessed country.   As for reformation of Nigerian Police, have we tried:  (a) Clearing up the whole MESS and check out RECRUITING from SCRATCH (b) Have we considered strategies involving HARD WORK and REWARDS - whereby Officers with GOOD conduct are highly REWARDED for their positive acts. (c) Also, a strategy that encourages INFORMANTS within the police telling of the bad eggs among themselves and gain rewards for doing so.  But beware of trap settings here, as some Officers can go to high mountains and seas in order to spite colleagues they don't like or get on well with.  Hmmm, human nature can be cruel!!). 
[/b]
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Gsmxpert(m): 4:17pm On Aug 31, 2009
Am the only one with an answer to your question,

[b][/b]

Our police will not need reform if the issue of bribery is ruled out, and how can that be done?
I have come out with a guaranteed idea

THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD GIVE THEM A NEW UNIFORM WITHOUT POCKET, LETS SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO, I DONT THINK THEIR CAPS CAN HELP grin grin grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Outstrip(f): 11:15pm On Aug 31, 2009
They should all have the equivalent of an associate's degree and those who are already there should be given 3 years to get one provided ASUU does not strike for 3 years. These police officers cannot even write a statement. If someone wanted to go back and open a case there is nothing to go with. Training and providing them with whatever tools they need to police the country
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by jamace(m): 12:30am On Sep 01, 2009
Our police can not be reformed untill the nigeria society is reformed. Period. angry sad
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by spoOne: 12:55am On Sep 01, 2009
NO! The ranking files are way too corrupt for there to be any kind of meaningful reform. One possible solution would be to form a new state and city police force that cater only to their respective states, while the EFCC operates as a Federal police with jurisdiction across state lines – similar to the FBI in the US. And the minimum requirement for entry into the City force would be University Degree or equivalent degree through the police academy. Entry into the State Police would be at least 4 years service in the City Police Force. And minimum pre-req for entry into the EFCC would be 4 years service in the State Police.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 2:36am On Sep 01, 2009
$poOne:

NO! The ranking files are way too corrupt for there to be any kind of meaningful reform. One possible solution would be to form a new state and city police force that cater only to their respective states, while the EFCC operates as a Federal police with jurisdiction across state lines – similar to the FBI in the US. And the minimum requirement for entry into the City force would be University Degree or equivalent degree through the police academy. Entry into the State Police would be at least 4 years service in the City Police Force. And minimum pre-req for entry into the EFCC would be 4 years service in the State Police.

That is simply NOT possible. Compared to the EFCC that is just a baby in comaprison with other agencies, the Nigeria Police Force boasts of a whole wealth of knowledge and experience in law-enforcement, intelligence gathering, and a whole lot of activities that dates from the 1800s to the present period. Hell, the then National S ecurity Organisation (NSO) which was later dissolved to form the State Security Service (SSS) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) (and in some part, the Defence Intelligence Agency DIA) were ALL created from the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). And guess what, these agencies were first staffed by police officers and will always be staffed by officers (except for the DIA that is now under the full control of Defence HQ/Military). Even the EFCC that you talk about is manned and controlled by the NPF at the very top and at core positions. You simply cannot replace the NPF with the EFCC. The EFCC is just made up of lawyers and other civilians, while the main law-enforcing arm of that agency which handles the main arrests is being handled by a unit of the Nigeria Mobile Police (MOPOL), which in turn is a branch of the NPF. You simply cannot do away with the NPF. It won't work.

By the way, we already have our own form of the US FBI, and that is the SSS. The only difference is that the Nigerian SSS combines similar activities of the US Secret Service (VIP Protection) with that of the FBI (Internal Intelligence Gathering, Counter-Espionage, Law-enforcement). Other activities like money laundering is handled by the NDLEA along with its primary role of counter-narcotics.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by spoOne: 7:35am On Sep 01, 2009
ocelot2006:

That is simply NOT possible. Compared to the EFCC that is just a baby in comaprison with other agencies, the Nigeria Police Force boasts of a whole wealth of knowledge and experience in law-enforcement, intelligence gathering, and a whole lot of activities that dates from the 1800s to the present period. Hell, the then National S ecurity Organisation (NSO) which was later dissolved to form the State Security Service (SSS) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) (and in some part, the Defence Intelligence Agency DIA) were ALL created from the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). And guess what, these agencies were first staffed by police officers and will always be staffed by officers (except for the DIA that is now under the full control of Defence HQ/Military). Even the EFCC that you talk about is manned and controlled by the NPF at the very top and at core positions. You simply cannot replace the NPF with the EFCC. The EFCC is just made up of lawyers and other civilians, while the main law-enforcing arm of that agency which handles the main arrests is being handled by a unit of the Nigeria Mobile Police (MOPOL), which in turn is a branch of the NPF. You simply cannot do away with the NPF. It won't work.

By the way, we already have our own form of the US FBI, and that is the SSS. The only difference is that the Nigerian SSS combines similar activities of the US Secret Service (VIP Protection) with that of the FBI (Internal Intelligence Gathering, Counter-Espionage, Law-enforcement). Other activities like money laundering is handled by the NDLEA along with its primary role of counter-narcotics.

The NPF is too old, too corrupt, and dilapidated to fix - and it is not working! State and city policing by a local law enforcement entities would work better. And yes the good ones out of the local enforcement should be promoted to the National level. If the structure is changed completely, then there is oportunity to raise the entry requirements into the force - why continue to build on a shaky foundation, when it will be cheaper to start another solid foundation with all the new technology availabe. Policing works in the US, we should copy their system.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by kirkmikel: 8:06am On Sep 01, 2009
Absolutely yes but it has to be done in fazes Firstly i think they need a reorientation and proper education I am proposing the Nigeria police college be converted into a police university and the cadets should be made to go through a four year intensive course so that when they come out of that institution it will be with high esteem and complete decorum.

Because i think that the major problem they have is the lack of direction and focus,they see themselves as a tool that can be tossed away whenever so majority of them see the job as an opportunity to shore up and that drives them deeper into aiding and abetting crime cum extorting money from motorists and what have you.

Secondly is the outright flushing out of the sworn bad eggs amongst them and with close monitoring other prospective bad eggs can be discovered and reformed , and thirdly the remuneration given to them as security officers is poor i think the govt should start looking in the direction of a substancial increment at least that will help buy back the confidence of the God fearing ones amongst them.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by darqly(m): 8:48am On Sep 01, 2009
The police has to step up its recruitment requirements and has to be a place of choice NOT desperation!
Basic requirement now is primary school leaving cert I think for rank and file, and even at that, some candidates can barely speak the english.
Then they have to be careful who they select for firearms training and handling. If you give a slowpoke a gun, you make him a dangerous slowpoke grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by agathamari(f): 9:50am On Sep 01, 2009
hell no.

nigeria doesnt have police, they have inland pirates
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by agathamari(f): 9:54am On Sep 01, 2009
Spyker:

Reform you say, Not in Nigeria. The police can only be reformed if we operate it like the USA did. Examples are

a. National or Federal Police eg.National Guard/FBI
b. State Police eg. NYPD, LAPD etc like in the US
c. Local Police eg. County Police

us national guard is federal military police on limited duty
fbi is federal police
state troopers are statepolice
sherrifs are county police
NYPD and LAPD are city police
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Secretz(f): 9:58am On Sep 01, 2009
Gsmxpert:

[b][/b]

Our police will not need reform if the issue of bribery is ruled out, and how can that be done?

THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD GIVE THEM A NEW UNIFORM WITHOUT POCKET, LETS SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO, I DONT THINK THEIR CAPS CAN HELP grin grin grin

ROFLMAO!!! Funny. . . . but you know, they always get shoe or inside their pants.  tongue

@ Topic, is there really a solution . . . ? You pay them a better salary, they will ask for more. You eradicate all of them and recruit new flesh straight from uni and the old ones will turn into full time arm robbers (as many of the Police do it as part of their extra curricular activities anyways). .  . .On this matter we need serious prayer and only God can intervene.  grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by nethacker(m): 2:04pm On Sep 01, 2009
agathamari:

hell no.

nigeria doesnt have police, they have inland pirates
Oh my dear country grin
darqly:

The police has to step up its recruitment requirements and has to be a place of choice NOT desperation!
Basic requirement now is primary school leaving cert I think for rank and file, and even at that, some candidates can barely speak the english.
Then they have to be careful who they select for firearms training and handling. If you give a slowpoke a gun, you make him a dangerous slowpoke grin

I don die for laughter here grin grin grin grin
Gsmxpert:

[b][/b]

Then they will have a danfo driver dat will have pockets grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by esonuu(m): 3:11pm On Sep 01, 2009
police can be refined only if central bank will stop printing twenty twenty naira
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Secretz(f): 3:29pm On Sep 01, 2009
esonuu:

police can be refined only if central bank will stop printing twenty twenty naira

roflmao!! grin

Then the bribery price will just go up to fifty fifty naira. tongue
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by EngrT1(m): 11:55pm On Sep 02, 2009
don't go there
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by baslone: 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
NOT POSSIBLE!!![/i]

Every policeman in Lagos wants to ride in the yellow danfo's picking
up innocent people. One in every 5buses in Lagos is packed with
armed kidnappers claiming cops. Each squad has a daily target they must meet and
return to the DPO at the station. Increasing the salary will only cause
more harm to civilians.

Most of the displaced touts at Orile Iganmu and Amukoko[i]
ended up
joining the police force. A former class mate of mine that was jailed 10years for
cultism was realeased when he agreed to join the police force. Although he died early this
year, he was a self confessed murderer. Imagine such a character.

Meanwhile someone should tell them to respect themselves and stop smoking weed[i][/i] in
uniform at the Okada park of Alaka end of Bode Thomas broad day light.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by kelvin(m): 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2009
Reforming the Nigerian police can first be achieved by getting rid of the old ones and reforming the system. Infrastructure, orientation, equipments and incentives should also be improved. Besides that, NO , no hope of reformation.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Theblessed(f): 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2009
baslone:

NOT POSSIBLE!!![/i]

Every policeman in Lagos wants to ride in the yellow danfo's picking
up innocent people. One in every 5buses in  Lagos is packed with
armed kidnappers claiming cops. Each squad has a daily target they must meet and
return to the DPO at the station. Increasing the salary will only cause
more harm to civilians.

Most of the displaced touts at Orile Iganmu and Amukoko[i]
ended up
joining the police force. A former class mate of mine that was jailed 10years for
cultism was realeased when he agreed to join the police force. Although he died early this
year, he was a self confessed murderer. Imagine such a character.

Meanwhile someone should tell them to respect themselves and stop smoking weed[i][/i] in
uniform at the Okada park of Alaka end of Bode Thomas broad day light.

Imagine the level of indiscipline and lawlessness among some Nigerian Police officers who should know better!  Then think of employees of other organizations and see why it is necessary to sack the entire National Police Force, start all over again and see how it turns out hopefully, it will turn out for the best. God bless you brother for speaking out and also giving us a glimpse of why we have rotten eggs in the Police Force!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kill Bad Stories About PDP: Metuh Begs Senior Journalists / (Photos) Alao Akala Achievement As Oyo State Governor / INCREDIBLE ; See What A Man Does To Attract Government's Attention To Potholes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.