Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers (17035 Views)

Partner With Us To Fulfill Our Promises, Amosun Urges Homeowners / 35 Times Stubborn Homeowners Refused To Move, And Faced Consequences / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 18, 2016
olaboy1:
We live in a time of unprecedented free flow of information, yet so many people ironically cling to outdated, Industrial Age methods. Those who refuse to adapt will be left behind, and not even the most altruistic building engineers of all humanity could save them from their own ignorance.
1000 likes for Egunmogaji

Thank you, Sir.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would be angst at me for my suggestions. It's not as if I'm asking for a donation. I'm simply sharing ideas and looking for ideas from others on the ground.

I'm undaunted though and keep moving forward.

Thanks for your support.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2016
lifetimeng:
We are glad to introduce to you a 100% Aluminium Roof Gutter, Tropicalized, Oven Baked, Weather Resistant Colours for all Climates with 20 Years Warranty.
Lifetime Roof Gutter Ltd, Distributor of American Rain Gutters can help you choose style, color and the variety of gutters which will not only add to the beauty of your home, but protect it for the long term as well. Give us a call today: 08158942188, 08087111111, 01-453-7642,
or Visit www.lifetimeng.com, or lifetimeng@gmail.com

Check out our 1st Class Roof Guttering System & Professional Installation

I will save your details for later on when the main house is completed. That will need a lot of gutters for the outside and inside (yes, inside) perimeter.

In the meantime, I'm sure that a small straight 25 foot gutter that ends with a spout into a plastic storage tanks is not worth the effort for you?

Please let me know.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
litaninja:
Lool.....we wey never go Yankee before been dey fall for the y@rnz till wee see dedicated fuse for every socket....

Let us not forget that others have also gone to Yankee before and returned to naija to build houses biko

Excellent, so this scheme won't fit your design purpose. It's not jollof rice and you don't have to like it.

Great minds are able to entertain a thought without subscribing to it.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2016
princetom1:

0rex, come here o. So, EgunMogaji and some people had been battling it out here, going through this thread, i came to understand one thing, EgunMogaji level of understanding and way of doing things is high. Some of the terms used here, i just keep reading to understand. EgunMogaji is a professional, either his specialty or not. He knows what he want and he wouldn't settle for less. Its good. People here already think he is doing over sabi, but i guess its bcoz dey don't know him. Bu d way, EgunMogaji, pls, tell d rain to stop soon o, the house nees to finish soon, am still coming to ur garage to see u carry out some automotive repairs at home.

You and other autoist are welcomed anytime.

May God give all of us long life to enjoy our dreams and aspirations.

I dealt with the same issue when it came out to the garage. People on here why criticizing me for wasting a space that's good enough for 2 bedrooms on parking cars.

Sometimes you just have to smile and move on grin

2 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by lifetimeng(m): 11:12pm On Jul 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I will save your details for later on when the main house is completed. That will need a lot of gutters for the outside and inside (yes, inside) perimeter.

In the meantime, I'm sure that a small straight 25 foot gutter that ends with a spout into a plastic storage tanks is not worth the effort for you?

Please let me know.

Thank you for the interest Sir, We would like to use the 25 feet gutter to show what we can do sir.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 19, 2016
sultaan:
This thread started with interesting ideas on how to solve the common problems of housing in Nigeria and Op was seeking inputs from those who may see things different but our people turned it into ego fiesta.

It's a good idea to ask questions when you are not sure of what will work if anyone has ideas share otherwise peace please.

I see roofing as one of the weakest part of current buildings, the wood is not pressure treated, held together by cheap nails.

Insulation is terrible and the AC runs continuously because it can never get the room to set point.

Why will people think you can run a shower using water pressure from raised tanks?

These showers are designed for water pressure higher than gravity provides why not an inline booster pump.

The problems with houses as mentioned above that needs smart solutions are;

Insulation, plumbing, electricity supply

Insulation involves the doors, window, roofing as major source energy drafts

Plumbing involves water and sewage( most houses have wells contaminated by neighbour's sewage)

Electricity could be from public, solar, or wind energy

Let start with Egunmogaji's plumbing system, what will be the PSI of the water mains and secondary lines.

what type of water heater will be used, bathroom supplies and sewage.

Please share your thoughts

PSI will be determined post construction and an in line pump fitted if necessary.

Central water heater will be used. No alternative on that for me as I trust that system.

Only low flow devices will be used.

Thanks for your participation.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
olaboy1:
Those of you firing Egunmogaji una no try at all. This gentleman is trying to step up the game and building standard by introducing some new ideas of what is obtainable abroad, rather than you guys give your opinions, you all went so hard on him that he is doing an overkill job.
Actually Nigerian standard in everything is fucking too low, I mean very very low. Why don't we just for once try to do the best without putting our greed first.
I grew up in one of the FHA houses built for festac 77 festival, we had a leaking roof because of some useless robbers that invaded and shot so much bullets on the roof, so I decided to climb into the roof and check from inside of the ceiling in the house since we lived on the last floor, guess what I saw?
The wooden structure for the entire roof of a block of 8 flats was as big as an anaconda, so strong and monster looking woods up there, and then I saw a thread by Aventure for a massive commercial building with tiny wooden carcass for the roof and I said to myself no wonder Nigerians are dying. We are only interested in building many floors and thereby we cut down the standard to meet our unrealistic budgets, instead of taking one floor off and use that money for standard roofing, standard lighting and switches etc. in the FHA house a man was going around asking young teenage boys to go remove the electrical switches in there houses and sell to him, because he knew how original they were, when people asked him what he needed them for, he said he wanted to set up a company and needed the switches for AC units.
In the FHA house we couldn't drill a nail in the wall to hang anything as the nails were all bending at every attempt.
Our artisans are not college educated and can only deliver base on local knowledge, but if people like Egunmogaji introduces new concepts and ideas to them, I don't see anything wrong in that, rather our argument should be in the line of suggesting better options with cost effectiveness.
I have a small mosque beside my house Arabs are building for themselves here in Europe, I really need to take some pictures of the roofing job done and this is just a bungalow mosque, although they have covered major part of the roof, but you can see a pix of one of the roofing parts.

What also befuddles me on some of the responses is the lack of understanding that this is a private residence and not a rental or for sale.

Thank god that I wouldn't have to get community approval grin

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2016
misterjosh:
some 9ja rats can eat diamond if afforded the opportunity

This got me laughing grin
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 19, 2016
0rex:

Lol. I have always known EgunMogaji is an intelligent individual and a good DIYer. Thumbs up to him. For his intended building wiring profile, though uncommon and potentially very expensive, it is good especially if he decides to consider home automation in future. He can have a very robust and dynamic load control system.

You're an astute observer. I'm very much into home automation.

Just as in my house now, it if moves, opens, closes, can be switched on or off then I'll automate it grin

I'm using Samsung SmartThings and Apple HomeKit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2016
WeldHome:

I've always had this desire to learn as much as I can but it is quite difficult. I admire your likes. Thumbs up sir.

Don't give up though.

Rather crude but consider volunteering at a shop near you, mechanic, plumbing, welding, etc

It's even worth paying them.

Learn welding, start creating African themed stuff, open up a site - cheap, you never can tell.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're an astute observer. I'm very much into home automation.

Just as in my house now, it if moves, opens, closes, can be switched on or off then I'll automate it grin

I'm using Samsung SmartThings and Apple HomeKit.
Cool. cool
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by sultaan(m): 4:06am On Jul 20, 2016
Electricity supply augmented by 5000w solar panels and or 1000w wind turbine to run AC at night with both units in place you can basically fire NEPA or what ever its called now(will cost a lot but priceless)
The wind turbine is cheaper than batteries but depend on wind.Initial cost might be high but generator and fuel put you in a hole during those scarcities

Flooring carpet, wood/laminate, or tile?

It would have been really good if you can ship things you need yourself but our government consider personal items as imports.

Most of the building materials I have seen in Nigerian market are substandard products that can't necessarily meet western standars
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 4:16am On Jul 20, 2016
sultaan:
Electricity supply augmented by 5000w solar panels and or 1000w wind turbine to run AC at night with both units in place you can basically fire NEPA or what ever its called now(will cost a lot but priceless)
The wind turbine is cheaper than batteries but depend on wind.Initial cost might be high but generator and fuel put you in a hole during those scarcities

Flooring carpet, wood/laminate, or tile?

It would have been really good if you can ship things you need yourself but our government consider personal items as imports.

Most of the building materials I have seen in Nigerian market are substandard products that can't necessarily meet western standars

Regarding shipping, where there's a will there's a way. Maybe wind later, much later.

Stained concrete floors.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by WeldHome: 10:08pm On Jul 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Don't give up though.

Rather crude but consider volunteering at a shop near you, mechanic, plumbing, welding, etc

It's even worth paying them.

Learn welding, start creating African themed stuff, open up a site - cheap, you never can tell.

I already purchased my equipment. I'm presently doing my thing from home, since I don't have the financial means to establish a workshop. My compound at Satellite Town, is my workshop for now. Over there, I make stuffs like doors, gates, burglar proof, etc, for sale while I took up an apprenticeship job at a depot closeby in order to gather steel structural fabrication and pipeline welding skills. I'm always pretty much willing to learn whenever I have someone teaching me but doing it on my own seems kinda difficult since I tend to get carried away at times.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by olaboy1: 6:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
I admire your courage, go out there and raise the standards in Naija.
Join specific online forums and blogs for your crafts and you will learn very fast.
When I was trying to put together my home cinema, I did research on forums and blogs for like 4 months and finally got my perfect home cinema set up, I have been to some cinemas here in Europe and I must tell you my set is 10/10 match with them, even its same quality sound I get at home blasting drake with what you get in any of the biggest clubs around Europe. So brotherly it's doable trust me, just be focus, keep researching relentlessly and don't settle for less.
My home cinema I assembled myself with gadgets I bought online around the world...(USA, Japan, Sweden, Turkey)
Also while doing your thing, don't listen to the wailers or quacks who tell you...oga dis one no mean anything

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 21, 2016
olaboy1:
I admire your courage, go out there and raise the standards in Naija.
Join specific online forums and blogs for your crafts and you will learn very fast.
When I was trying to put together my home cinema, I did research on forums and blogs for like 4 months and finally got my perfect home cinema set up, I have been to some cinemas here in Europe and I must tell you my set is 10/10 match with them, even its same quality sound I get at home blasting drake with what you get in any of the biggest clubs around Europe. So brotherly it's doable trust me, just be focus, keep researching relentlessly and don't settle for less.
My home cinema I assembled myself with gadgets I bought online around the world...(USA, Japan, Sweden, Turkey)
Also while doing your thing, don't listen to the wailers or quacks who tell you...oga dis one no mean anything

I salute you.

Others sit there and wallow in ineptness while others like you are taking the bull by the horn.

Though I have a dedicated home theatre room, I look forward to watching movies in my internal courtyard with an open roof.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2016
Shawls:
You people answering this guy have time to waste.Let him go and import his crew of "kokoye" builders from yankee, get them visas, pay them hourly wages, ship all the building materials from Home Depot or Lowes (just to build one single house in Elebu, Ibadan) and after all these hullabaloo, we can do a comparison of his "American White House" in 9ja to our own locally fabricated Aso Rock. After all, it's his house and he has a right to build it to his taste, abi?
Haba! nah wetin? I have a property in that very neighborhood(Oke Alaro, after the market)?one in NNPC, Apata, another 4 bedroom twin duplex(using 9ja's term) in Akala estate Akobo.In fact I used some NL's for the job & no noise at all.
What is your problem? Nah only you waka come from US?
You need to stop this nonsense.
Bro. Since you seem to know a lot about properties in Ibadan, I want to relocate to IB next year; but to a place closer to Lagos. Will be working in Lag. Want to know which is better: buying a house or buying land and building. Note... It will take months to build and I don't have the time. The closest house I have around that place is at Ogun state. You can send me a p.m. ( though I don't know how it works) thanks
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Shawls: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2016
@jammy12
Your best suggested location in Ibadan will be Elebu.It is a rapidly developing modern area with great road network and properties are reasonable in price.Close proximity to Lagos-Ibadan Express way, tarred internal access roads, reasonable power supply by PHCN, middle class income neighborhood, security considerably ok.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 26, 2016
Shawls:
@jammy12
Your best suggested location in Ibadan will be Elebu.It is a rapidly developing modern area with great road network and properties are reasonable in price.Close proximity to Lagos-Ibadan Express way, tarred internal access roads, reasonable power supply by PHCN, middle class income neighborhood, security considerably ok.
Okay then. Really helpful info... Thanks. Much appreciated Sir.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 27, 2016
jammy12:

Bro. Since you seem to know a lot about properties in Ibadan, I want to relocate to IB next year; but to a place closer to Lagos. Will be working in Lag. Want to know which is better: buying a house or buying land and building. Note... It will take months to build and I don't have the time. The closest house I have around that place is at Ogun state. You can send me a p.m. ( though I don't know how it works) thanks

IF you're an architect, can you do a conversion?

As in converting a church or warehouse into a house.

Thanks.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

IF you're an architect, can you do a conversion?

As in converting a church or warehouse into a house.

Thanks.
Seen. Thanks for considering me really but I have a lot of projects I am running right now. I also don't want to reveal my ID on nairaland grin grin. Please don't take it like personal. The project is grand tho. A church to a house.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2016
jammy12:

Seen. Thanks for considering me really but I have a lot of projects I am running right now. I also don't want to reveal my ID on nairaland grin grin. Please don't take it like personal. The project is grand tho. A church to a house.

I like that.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by erico2k2(m): 12:15am On Nov 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I like that.

Good luck.
bro how do i get hold of you, need your help
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 13, 2017
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 3:45am On Jun 08, 2017
I need someone to supply me the following items in Ibadan:

100 pieces of non-rusting Y bracket for fence burglary.
10 bundles of non-rusting barbed wire.

Thanks.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Daboomb: 2:39pm On Jun 20, 2017
Egunmogaji, Do you mind if l have a closer shot look at these iron Doors of yours?
They look really good but l cant see them properly (old age things grin )

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 20, 2017
Daboomb:
Egunmogaji, Do you mind if l have a closer shot look at these iron Doors of yours?
They look really good but l cant see them properly (old age things grin )

Cheers.

Sure, I'll post when I get back to the hacienda.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Daboomb: 3:17am On Jun 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sure, I'll post when I get back to the hacienda.

Thanks in advance.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Daboomb: 6:09am On Jun 29, 2017
Thanks very much!
Its a beauty but then, you are one and only Egunmogaji, oko Afusa now. undecided kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LASG Set To Deliver 360 Homes In Igbogbo, Ikorodu / Still searc: #6M budget, i need a land between lekki and Ajah. Post pics pls. / Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.