Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector (1028 Views)

Abu Lecturer Narrates How Buhari Killed, Secretly Buried His 4 Undergrad Childre / 2 Brothers Who Met Boko Haram Terrorists In Borno, 1 Killed, The Other Injured / All The Ways President Buhari Has Acted Exactly Like Jonathan Or Even Worse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by kinibigdeal(m): 3:10am On Jun 17, 2016
Not a few were alarmed at the rapacity in the Agricultural sector, it is unfortunate that the dearth of oil production as cover our ineptitude in avarice. The agricultural sector seriously need a peremptory command if we are to survive the rapidly falling and unattractive oil price. Here are the four ways I think president Buhari is killing the agricultural sector.

1. INABILITY TO CONDEMN THE HERDSMEN

Please don't misquote me, I ain't saying the president is responsible for the Fulani herdsmen uprising, but my point here is the inability of the president to condemn their act, which as further contributed to Agricultural crisis in most affected state in Nigeria. For example Benue state contributes about 35.5% food production in Nigeria and the GDP, but since the inception of the crisis between the Fulani Herdsmen and the farmers, food production in Benue state as dropped, farmer can no longer go to farm for farming due to the fear of attack from herdsmen http://fojusi.com/president-buhari-accused-failing-agricultural-sector/ some other states like Oyo, Kaduna, Ekiti etc are also affected by this several attacks on farmland. If President Buhari wish to supplement our economy with the Agricultural sector, then he need to find a lasting solution to the issue of Fulani herdsmen attack on farmland

2. LIFTING BAN ON IMPORTATION OF RICE

Do you remember the "Rice pyramid" under Goodluck Jonathan? Benue, Kano, Jigawa etc we were already becoming a big deal in rice production in Nigeria, we were almost getting to a point of rice sufficiency where we were producing about 2.9 million metric ton (85% sufficiency), at that point, world bank claimed Nigeria will take over from Thailand in 2020.
http://ubongdavid..in/2014/07/key-achievements-of-jonathan.html http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ban-on-importation-of-rice-underway-jonathan/ that led to the ban on the importation of rice which you and I will agree that Nigerian hardly felt the effects of the ban. Don't forget, during those period, a bag of rice was around N9000 against the 18,000 we are having now http://fojusi.com/president-buhari-accused-failing-agricultural-sector/. But immediately president Buhari assumes office, the ban on the importation of rice was lifted through the custom boss https://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/president-buhari-lifts-ban-on-importation-textiles-furniture.113568/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6341294615. What effect does that have? it kill local rice production and even affect our GDP.

3. REPLACING THE ACTIVE ADESINA WITH AUDU OGBEH

Sometimes I wonder why we play politics with everything. Adesina was neither a PDP member or APC but rather an expert with vast experience in the agricultural sector. We all saw is impact in the sector with innovations from fertilizer to cassava bread, local content act etc. Audu Ogbeh is also experience in the sector, but we cannot compare the experience in the 70s with what we have now, president Buhari could have make do with Adesina. After a about a year now, what score card can you say about the current Agriculture Minister?

4. POOR ACCESS TO LOAN

Whenever I read how the government is establishing scheme to guarantee loan for agriculture, it raise series of palpitating questions on my lips about its sincerity. I dont have the time and space to explain how my friend was frustrated in an attempt to get access to government loan on Agriculture. Even local farmers are finding it difficult to access government loan. Adesina left a robust scheme where farmers can directly access government loan through a scheme he called "mobile access loan"; that is, Farmers can access the loan directly from government. But since the inception of this government, the scheme was regarded as a fraud and cancelled. The result is what we are having today. http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/06/22/farmers-to-buhari-relax-credit-access-rules-to-boost-food-production/ http://www.post-nigeria.com/how-small-businesses-have-shrunk-under-buhari/ The consequences of loan deficiency is the production of food product in small quantities with higher price.

Let me Leave the rest for the guru's in the house to add theirs

3 Likes

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by 1wolex85: 3:35am On Jun 17, 2016
I don't understand the Adesina part. Didn't this same govt support him in his bid to be afdb president? should he be afdb president and minister at the same time?

3 Likes

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by forghon: 4:29am On Jun 17, 2016
ogbeh nt only inactive bt very corrupt he couldn't pay for outstanding ges fund up till date and d money is dere very corrupt person

2 Likes

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by gohzieh(m): 4:37am On Jun 17, 2016
Folded arms and watching the farmers on Nairaland Comment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by sseunth(m): 6:27am On Jun 17, 2016
is there a way of getting loan of 15m for agriculture?
Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by Montaque(m): 6:46am On Jun 17, 2016
Op is correct.
Apart from rice production, we also saw a decline in the fish farming and production which was on a rising scale as at the last admin, made possible by the policy on frozen fish import and subsidy on the ever costly feeds.
My recomendations:
We need to campaign for family size agric involvement, like plant a tree, own a poultry, or a small backyard farm
We need to stop the unnecessary tax on the movement of agric produce, all those thugs that use logs of wood riddled with pointed nails on the highway, collecting rates n tax from conveyors of agric pproduce
We need to establish a governent owned cold room and silo in all LG especially the North, for a large scale preservation.
We have to create in all LG along the line of agric yield, a govt owned plantation of whatever, cashew, mango, palm tree, pear, tomato, whatever it can yield
We shoold encourage and set down the laws for corporative farming, an association of farmers doing it together large scale

1 Like

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by banki(m): 6:54am On Jun 17, 2016
You guys just wake up and post nonsense

We're fulani herdsmen not attacking the middle belt even before buhari became president or did it just start now? We're communities in taraba and venue and plateau not ramsacked last year and 2years ago?

Ban on the importation of rice...bros I don't know and understand what your talking about but let's get this clear! We are not yet self sufficient in rice,

Which one is no access to loan?
Which one is adeshina?

I don't even know why am responding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by KissCODE(m): 7:30am On Jun 17, 2016
1wolex85:
I don't understand the Adesina part. Didn't this same govt support him in his bid to be afdb president? should he be afdb president and minister at the same time?
his going to ADB has not helped us. I know this government supported him hoping he would be of help for us to get loan from the bank. But as it stands now no country or any organisation is interested in giving Nigeria loan.

1 Like

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by kinibigdeal(m): 7:32am On Jun 17, 2016
1wolex85:

They should have leave him as a minister
Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by blazer234: 7:35am On Jun 17, 2016
banki:

We're fulani herdsmen not attacking the middle belt even before buhari became president or did it just start now? We're communities in taraba and venue and plateau not ramsacked last year and 2years ago?

Ban on the importation of rice...bros I don't know and understand what your talking about but let's get this clear! We are not yet self sufficient in rice,

Which one is adeshina?

Then delete your response. Who forced you to respond? undecided

1 Like

Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by 1wolex85: 8:31am On Jun 17, 2016
kinibigdeal:

They should have leave him as a minister

What are you yapping about? Does a tree make a forest? is he God? If he dies, we will close down ministry of Agric abi? The guy himself wanted to be Afdb president so why are you insisting they keep him there? I just hate this glorification of Human beings. If he didnt create a system that could work after he leaves then he is a failure!
Re: 4 Major Ways President Buhari Killed The Agricultural Sector by keally: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2016
banki:

Which one is adeshina?

. High level illiteracy is your problem. Simple English is complex for you, sorry, I can't help you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

AMCON Takes Over Jimoh Ibrahim’s Worldwide Assets Over N50b Debt / Saraki, Ekweremadu Arrive In Court For Alleged Senate Rules Forgery / Saharareporters Allegedly Plotting To Defame Daura& Cover Up Magu’s Corruption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.