Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,547 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition (5344 Views)

What PDP Must Do To Defeat APC In 2019 – Jimi Agbaje / Atiku Abubakar And Goodluck Jonathan Hug At The PDP Convention (Photo) / Pdp Must Not Die In Your Hands – Anenih Tells Sheriff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 11:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
Major Steps the Peoples Democratic Party Must Take to Become a Viable Opposition and Possibly Wrest Power from the All Progressives Congress in 2019:

It saddens me greatly to see the Peoples Democratic Party so badly enmeshed in leadership crisis. This is because it is indeed very bad for our democracy and will go a long way in hurting our developing democracy.

One of the hallmarks of democracy as a system of government is the existence of a viable and formidable opposition party which will constantly put the ruling party on their toes, give them sleepless nights and make them critically consider any action they take before taking such actions.

Sadly, since the loss of the last presidential elections to the now ruling All Progressives Congress, the Peoples Democratic Party has become enmeshed in crisis that has affected it's ability to live up to expectations as an opposition party thereby disappointing the masses and leaving Nigerians at the mercy of the ruling All Progressives Congress.

The PDP must endeavor to quickly put its house in order so as to enable it put certain structures in place that will ensure it acts as a viable opposition to the ruling APC and possibly wrest power from it come 2019.

Below are some suggestions I have outlined. Feel free to criticise them and add more.

1. Solve the persistent leadership crisis: the party cannot move forward at all if it keeps on having constant leadership crisis. All stakeholders must come together to find a lasting solution to the persistent leadership crisis as the persistence of such crisis only goes to show that there are fundamental errors or shortcomings with the present system with the attendant consequence of weakening the party.

2. All Stakeholders must put their personal interests aside and work for the collective good of the party. The reason why leadership and other forms of crisis will keep coming up is because the party members are now so used to allowing their personal interest override the overall interest of the party and the generality of its members.

3. The party must at this point make sure internal party democracy is fully entrenched as it is clear that the party has been considerably weakened due to obvious lack of internal democracy. Getting a ticket to contest any elective position in Nigeria under the PDP is no longer a function of the ideal procedures and the tenets of internal democracy but a function of who you know at the National level. This shouldn't continue, it must stop. Allow the delegates of the party to emerge in the manner prescribed by the Party’s Constitution and let the delegates select party flag bearers on the basis of what such flag bearers have demonstrated in terms of capacity to do the job and win the seat and not teleguiding the emergence of delegates as well as unjustly manipulating them to favour a certain candidate even when such candidate doesn't have what it takes.

4. The party must embark on a sincere reconciliation drive to reconcile with aggrieved members who left the party for one reason or the other and bring them back into the fold. This will go a long way in repositioning the party.

5. Inaugurate a very competent team which will be headed by the National Publicity Secretary to help rebrand the image of the party and constantly issue statements on the activities of the ruling APC so as to check their excesses. In fact, to put it simply, the party needs it's own 'Lai Mohammed'.

6. The party must allow the youths more participation in its affairs albeit under the guidance of the party elders. I believe we the younger generation are ready to take the baton from the older generation. This group of old politicians can constitute themselves into a group to be known as the Council of Elders which will provide the necessary advice and contacts while the youths take the bull by the horn. The younger generation is brimming with fresh ideas, enthusiasm and so much passion but the older ones have refused to give way. There are certain men who shouldn't have any business engaging in active politics again. I wont mention names.

I think I will stop here for now. Nigerians need PDP, Nigerians need a viable opposition and we are seriously yearning for one.

Thank You.

Ugah Michael Chukwuemeka (Dr. Possibilities)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by rusher14: 12:34am On Jun 18, 2016
It is not bad for our democracy.

This is in fact a great lesson for all political parties on how not to set up your template.

You cannot install candidates without a straw vote, institutionalise corruption (confirmed ruling party for 16 years, if not them then who?) whilst at the same time biting the hand that feeds you.

Please can another party please stand up?

What am I even saying? These parties only stick their necks out when there are elections save for APGA, who have chosen to be a regional party for now.

1 Like

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Nutase: 7:59am On Jun 18, 2016
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by LieDetector(m): 7:59am On Jun 18, 2016
Much as I bemoan the governmental policies of this APC led administration, I do not consider PDP a better option....
Failure for the emergence of a viable opposition before 2019 means another vote for APC..... PDP is dead and buried never to surface again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by orobs93(m): 7:59am On Jun 18, 2016
Way
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by asodeboyede(m): 7:59am On Jun 18, 2016
7. All party members must visit T B Joshua for special deliverance sessions

4 Likes

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by adonbilivit: 7:59am On Jun 18, 2016
PDP will bounce back. they are just disagreeing to agree. all my life I have never. been this insecure about what tomorrow holds for me financially. with PDP I worried less about tomorrow because the economy was stable and not in a state of "jangulover".

5 Likes

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Zico5(m): 8:00am On Jun 18, 2016
Can a house that is divided against itself stand? Can people with different interest work together? Can people with looting orientation change? These are the pertinent questions from the op. Nothing good can hardly come out of PDP. From the head to toe, it is abysmally affected. PDP is not an opposition party but a cancer in our polity.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Jakpon: 8:00am On Jun 18, 2016
We Igbos support the Chairmanship position of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff.

PDP2019
Ali Modu Sheriff for President
Ayo Fayose for Vice President

we Igbos must continue to vote for PDP. Ali Modu Sheriff must rule us in Igboland in Jesus name.

Ali Modu Sheriff is greater than all Igbo men both dead and alive.
Ali Modu Sheriff is greater than Ojukwu
Ali Modu Sheriff is greater than Chinua Achebe
Ali Modu Sheriff is greater than Nnamdi Azikiwe

14 Likes

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by DExplorer1: 8:00am On Jun 18, 2016
Is PDP alive?
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by jargonzboi(m): 8:01am On Jun 18, 2016
hmmm

No. 4 is very essential.

Viable opposition is healthy for our democracy.

That is the geography of the Earth's surface.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 18, 2016
PDP is a death party.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by clevadani: 8:02am On Jun 18, 2016
See on, there is nothing that can be done about Pdp. That is why I was laughing when Pdp said that Apc was a collection of people that wanted power by all means. The only reason people joined Pdp is because of the honey. Now that their source of unity is gone, the party will always be divided.
Pdp is a useless party filled with corrupt politicians and individuals. They've had their opportunity to better the fortunes of this nation instead, they looted our common patrimony and stored it in the land of white men who view is like sub human.
Pdp wasted our years of plenty just imagine what would have happened to the Egyptians if they did not listen to Joseph.
I dislike Pdp with great passion and I hope they destroy themselves just like they destroyed Nigeria.
I hope a new youthful party rise up to challenge Apc. Not Pdp. Any youth that is a member of Pdp hates Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by cutetopsey(f): 8:02am On Jun 18, 2016
OK nau! Noted!
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 18, 2016
Op I appreciate your write up but knowing naija politics for what it is, the only major step PDP needs to take is STAY ALIVE.
Forget what is happening now, its not unexpected, when the chips are down in 2018, they would close ranks.
The only reason anyone could be worried is if our political alignments are ideology based, unfortunately, that's not the case. It's power based
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Truths247: 8:04am On Jun 18, 2016
The Crack in the party will always make them weak and powerless.... They need to overcome division to stay relevant. Internal democracy should be the watchword
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by onatisi(m): 8:04am On Jun 18, 2016
DExplorer1:
Is PDP alive?
help me ask am oo..
The truth is pdp and apc are the same thing,therefore the emergence of apc will terminate the life of pdp,most pdp governors and legislators are already looking for ways to dump the party. We need another strong national party
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by careercrew1: 8:06am On Jun 18, 2016
Nice write up.. . smiley
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 18, 2016
The suggestions are idealistic. The writer failed to take into account the calibre of politicians in the PDP. The crux of the crisis afflicting the party is inordinate ambitions. When party members put their ambitions in check, there will be peace in the party. His suggestions are good, unfortunately, they are far too remote from political realities.

1 Like

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by dridowu: 8:13am On Jun 18, 2016
This opinion is not needed in wahala (wadata) house. Sincerely i am enjoying this Alimodu Sherrif Strong head
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by justicejay(m): 8:14am On Jun 18, 2016
WHY APC IS STRONGER THAN PDP. .
1. It took PDP 16 years to make a dollar = N197,
but it took APC just 1 year to make a dollar N350.
2 It took PDP 16 years to destroy Nigeria, but it
took APC just 1 year to massacre, dismantle, kill
and bury Nigeria. ...
3. It took PDP 16 years to make fuel price N87 per
litre, but it took APC 1yr to make fuel N145 per
litre. ...
4. It took PDP 16 years to make Nigeria corrupt,
but it took APC just 1 year to make Nigeria
Fantastically corrupt.
5)It took PDP 16 years to keep the price of rice at
N7,000 per bag, but took APC 1 year to project it
to N18,000 per bag.
6) It took Jonathan 5yrs to travel to 15 countries,
but it took Buhari 1 year to travel to 30 countries.
7)It took PDP 16years to apply resounding
economic policies that made banks grow, but took
APC 1 year to apply policies which they beg banks
not to sack more staff.
CONCLUSIVELY; I am beginning to think that while
PDP is better in administration, APC is better in
opposition, that's why APC is still campaigning,bla
ming, promising and playing opposition part
despite being the Ruling party after one year.

7 Likes

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by DExplorer1: 8:16am On Jun 18, 2016
onatisi:
help me ask am oo..
The truth is pdp and apc are the same thing,therefore the emergence of apc will terminate the life of pdp,most pdp governors and legislators are already looking for ways to dump the party. We need another strong national party
That's the point. Politicians got no chill, they would defect again.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by RisMas(m): 8:27am On Jun 18, 2016
Nigerians need PDP, Nigerians need a viable opposition and we are seriously yearning for one.

You were making sense until you made this sentence. Who told you Nigerians needs PDP after 16 years of directionless Government. We need a new opposition party with great ideas not the dying PDP peopled with analogue career politicians with archaic ideas undecided undecided
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by folks4luv(f): 8:32am On Jun 18, 2016
let PDP die and another name come out of it, I doubt if there is any rebranding that can make the name PDP worthy again, not with the post election crisis that has discouraged many.

@Op, too bad Sheriff n co aren't here to see this post.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:45am On Jun 18, 2016
rusher14:
It is not bad for our democracy.

This is in fact a great lesson for all political parties on how not to set up your template.

You cannot install candidates without a straw vote, institutionalise corruption (confirmed ruling party for 16 years, if not them then who?) whilst at the same time biting the hand that feeds you.

Please can another party please stand up?

What am I even saying? These parties only stick their necks out when there are elections save for APGA, who have chosen to be a regional party for now.

Nice contribution. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:48am On Jun 18, 2016
Zico5:
Can a house that is divided against itself stand? Can people with different interest work together? Can people with looting orientation change? These are the pertinent questions from the op. Nothing good can hardly come out of PDP. From the head to toe, it is abysmally affected. PDP is not an opposition party but a cancer in our polity.

Food for thought. The questions you raised calls for serious consideration and critical thinking.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:50am On Jun 18, 2016
Truths247:
The Crack in the party will always make them weak and powerless.... They need to overcome division to stay relevant. Internal democracy should be the watchword

Exactly. You've made a very valid point.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:51am On Jun 18, 2016
onatisi:
help me ask am oo..

Hmmmmm. You are actually not very far from the truth. Nice contribution.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:51am On Jun 18, 2016
careercrew1:
Nice write up.. . smiley
Thanks
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:53am On Jun 18, 2016
bejeiodus:
The suggestions are idealistic. The writer failed to take into account the calibre of politicians in the PDP. The crux of the crisis afflicting the party is inordinate ambitions. When party members can put their ambitions in check, there will be peace in the party. His suggestions are good, unfortunately, they are far too remote from political realities.

Nice comment, a worthy addition to the write up.
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by drpossibilities(m): 8:54am On Jun 18, 2016
dridowu:
This opinion is not needed in wahala (wadata) house.
Sincerely i am enjoying this Alimodu Sherrif Strong head

Why you dey enjoy am?
Re: Major Steps The PDP Must Take To Become A Viable Opposition by nkemjacob2(m): 8:55am On Jun 18, 2016
If apc government do not have a strong oppositon, dat will gv dem d edge to mis-behave. We dont need pdp as an opposition party only but we want other strong oppositions to emerge. I fully agree with u wen u stated more youth participation, these old men ideas are weak and dilapidated. They've not recongnise d strenght of a youth in a party

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu: Buhari's Cabal Underestimated The Weirdest Kingmaker / Breaking News: Buhari To Undergo Chemotherapy for 6 Months For Postrate Cancer / We Igbos Are The Most Confused Creatures On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.