Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,254 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka (25309 Views)

Impunity Rides Again Through Killer Herdsmen By Wole Soyinka / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / "Evidence Emerges Of Mass Burials After Arbaeen Massacre Of Shia In Kano"- IHRC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by lioncoolst(m): 6:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
Hahahahaha grin grin grin; see death!! Death to Camera-men!! cheesy cheesy OMG! That was so interesting. Prof. Wole Soyinka for President! NO campaign, no election! Carry go, Sir. grin

1 Like

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Olabestonic001(m): 6:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
adegoke93:
Pen is mightier than gun
More favorably, its mightier than the camera.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by histemple: 6:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
Ajibel:

Actually his books are not for everyone. He is naturally a poet unlike Achebe that's why his writeups are full of imageries and metaphors.

One of his works The Interpreters is the most difficult book I have ever read.

Then he should know when to draw the line. Obfuscating your audience with unnecessary grandiloquence is an ineffective communication skill.

Speaking or writing to "inform" is not the same as doing so to educate or entertain.

Effective communication is one that must be understood by your targeted audience without much stress. There is actually no difference between Soyinka, Chris Okotie and Hon. Patrick.

1 Like

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Olabestonic001(m): 6:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:
This is one reason people dislike reading Soyinka's books. He likes writing in difficult context and full of unnecessary details.

He only has to tell us that the uncultured attitude of cameramen in occasions is annoying. Simple!

But, he's a novelist not a summarist.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Ajibel(m): 6:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

Then he should know when to draw the line. Obfuscating your audience with unnecessary grandiloquence is an ineffective communication skill.

Effective communication is one that must be understood by your targeted audience without much stress. The is actually no difference between Soyinka, Chris Okotie and Hon. Patrick.

Targeted audience? I'm curious to know who you think are his targeted audience.

I don't expect Kongi to mellow down on his style of writing to suit anyone else. Writing is a joy and a hobby for him and he writes as he feels.

There is a difference between Soyinka and Obahiagbon. The latter introduces Latin and other foreign words into his speech, Soyinka doesnt.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by brightl06(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
RIZLER:
weytin dis mumu dey talk? undecided
well i dont blame you, from your name 'Rizler' e sure me say na ighbo full your head.

1 Like

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by histemple: 6:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
Olabestonic001:

But, he's a novelist not a summarist.

What you have just said in his defense is akin to justifying why a graduate of Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo can't speak English language.

An effective writer/speaker should know when to draw the line so as not to obfuscate your target audience with lengthy unnecessary details and grandiloquence.

There is a difference between speaking/writing to "inform, educate or entertain" and these should determine the choice of words.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
If you understand the way woke Soyinka writes, then you will know the deeper meaning in this piece. For those who say he has not addressed Nigerian present problems please read again

3 Likes

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by histemple: 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
Ajibel:

Targeted audience? I'm curious to know who you think are his targeted audience.

I don't expect Kongi to mellow down on his style of writing to suit anyone else. Writing is a joy and a hobby for him and he writes as he feels.

There is a difference between Soyinka and Obahiagbon. The latter introduces Latin and other foreign words into his speech, Soyinka doesnt.

You may have to read books written by other world-class authors to understand why Soyinka's books are the least read and understood.

Obahiagbon uses Latin just as Soyinka uses Yoruba (you will understand this if you have read his books) in both wrting and speaking---------get me right----there is nothing wrong with that, provided that your audience understand the coinage.

To tell you the disrepute in using these confusing communication skill, most people acknowledge that Soyinka is a great writer but only few have "really" read his books. The same way people know that Obahiagbon is very intelligent but only listen to him just for comic relief.

You must understand here that Obahiagbon has never said anything that is not in the books or meaningless.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by ariyoola(m): 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2016
RIZLER:
weytin dis mumu dey talk? undecided
ode nie
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by blimeyVic(m): 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nigerian politicians have so reduced the magical effect a beautifully prepared write-up can have on the average citizen through their inability to walk the talk that when we come across delicacies like this,we simply glance through. Nice script prof,maybe,someday I will read it comprehensively-but not today.

1 Like

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Quinn17(m): 6:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
Oga, you don make me bite my tongue. The write up is so lengthy. I suppose this is meant to mess. Unfortunately most of them canto read not to talk of understanding the big grammar used here.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by adegoke93: 7:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
Na sooo!
Olabestonic001:

More favorably, its mightier than the camera.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
wolebaba:

Bloody waste of Spermatozoa Oloshi pataki omo abi pabe
ewure oshi ko ni dafun iya e alaiopolo undecided
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
ariyoola:

ode nie
doko mi undecided
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by eitsei(m): 7:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
Intrepid01:

Hear yourself, he's seeking media attention...When he was at your age, he was already tired of media attention. Look at you nobody knows you in ur family and probably will never.
I swear you just destroyed the man with your own weapon of mass destruction, if I were the guy I would simply go home and think about what you said to him
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by eitsei(m): 7:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

What you have just said in his defense is akin to justifying why a graduate of Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo can't speak English language.

An effective writer/speaker should know when to draw the line so as not to obfuscate your target audience with lengthy unnecessary details and grandiloquence.

There is a difference between speaking/writing to "inform, educate or entertain" and these should determine the choice of words.

I don't think anyone care about what you are saying now because he's not just a writer that just started writing yesterday, I think what makes him special is what you are complaining of.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by eitsei(m): 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

You may have to read books written by other world-class authors to understand why Soyinka's books are the least read and understood.

Obahiagbon uses Latin just as Soyinka uses Yoruba (you will understand this if you have read his books) in both wrting and speaking---------get me right----there is nothing wrong with that, provided that your audience understand the coinage.

To tell you the disrepute in using these confusing communication skill, most people acknowledge that Soyinka is a great writer but only few have "really" read his books. The same way people know that Obahiagbon is very intelligent but only listen to him just for comic relief.

You must understand here that Obahiagbon has never said anything that is not in the books or meaningless.
How did you know his books are the least read?
Lol.. I find this funny.... Please you can Google up his works and find out more about him
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by ycat: 8:02pm On Jun 21, 2016
Sorry Prof, they all just want to be part of what is believed to be the replacement of longest serving Headwitch/Iyalode in recent time.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Olabestonic001(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

Do you read Shakespeare or John Bunyan's Allegories? If you do then, you'll see that Soyinka's write-up is at the lower wrung of intellectual prodding.
Maybe our knowledge of English Language is dwindling. Otherwise, Soyinka's exposé should cause this hullabaloo that it is causing. Let's improve our Language knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by God2man(m): 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:
This is one reason people dislike reading Soyinka's books. He likes writing in difficult context and full of unnecessary details.

He only has to tell us that the uncultured attitude of cameramen in occasions is annoying. Simple!
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by femmical(m): 8:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
if u have someone in ur family, I swear u ll be worshiping him lik god... U better pray to God, Mumu
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by charlsecy(m): 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
Aderupoko2:
Hope in future, this will not be introduced as a JAMB comprehension or summary passage for people to answer.
It is possible.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by UjSizzle(f): 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
Oga Wole no vex. You must understand that the fundamental decencies were unevenly distributed at birth.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Truth234(m): 8:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
ANBAKO:
Hmmm!! I was thinking this is about Nigeria but I was surprised to see it is about "cameramen"

This days, everyone with a mobile phone is a cameraman.
Prof, this is 2016 and not 1976, live with it!!!
The celebrant isn't complaining why you?
I think Prof is seeking media attention but it did not get it.

Next time, it shall be well!!!

Do good for good to come your way.

His response to you "it must also be stressed - that same society is the prime facilitator of its doom. There are times when tolerance becomes acceptance, then tacit and even overt encouragement."
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by jargonzboi(m): 8:46pm On Jun 21, 2016
What an epic read.
it is right about time the media adjust themselves.

Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Orikinla(m): 8:59pm On Jun 21, 2016
m2dl:
some1 pls summarise

my ba3 is low can't read all that
Nigerian photographers become public nuisance.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
ceekanMgazine:
If you understand the way woke Soyinka writes, then you will know the deeper meaning in this piece. For those who say he has not addressed Nigerian present problems please read again
I understand how he writes. There's nothing deep about this.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by nightmile: 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
johnwizey:
U're calling someone old enough to be your grandfather mumu.....smh. Your parents did a bad job in raising you
He doesn't have a father..A bastard in a group must surely show himself .
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by histemple: 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
Olabestonic001:

Do you read Shakespeare or John Bunyan's Allegories? If you do then, you'll see that Soyinka's write-up is at the lower wrung of intellectual prodding.
Maybe our knowledge of English Language is dwindling. Otherwise, Soyinka's exposé should cause this hullabaloo that it is causing. Let's improve our Language knowledge.

You seem to be missing the point here. What we are saying is "simply write to communicate effectively".
What is the need of writing in complex termes with unnecessary grandiloquence and lengthy details as if he is writing a textbook.

It is the same reason Chris Okotie's sermon is usually ineffective because, like Soyinka, he makes everything very complex when there are better ways to communicate.
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by m2dl: 11:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
Orikinla:
Nigerian photographers become public nuisance.
cool tnx
Re: The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka by theimmortals(m): 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2016
This man is so pathetic, so he have time to type all this about photographers but he can't just make a simple sentence about the economic situation of the country.

Abeg oga, have several seats

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Proposes N7.2trn Budget For 2017 / Did Tinubu Say Electoral Act 2022 Will Affect Democracy? Daily Trust Fact Check / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.