Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,333 members, 7,954,351 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:17 PM

When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? (10752 Views)

Should Christians Care About Physical Appearance? / RCCG Bans Aso Ebi, Ungodly Wedding Engagement / Okorocha Tells Priests & Laity In Ahiara Diocese To Obey The Pope’s Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by myinvest: 6:58pm On Jun 26, 2016
iliyande:
Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to the governors, who are sent by him to punish {24} those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men (1 Peter 2:13-15 NIV).

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men (Titus 3:1-2 NIV).

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities which exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves (Romans 13:1-2 NIV).

The answer is no.

We are to obey governments unless they violate Scripture. Acts 5:29 says, "We must obey God rather than men." Whenever a government violates biblical teaching, Christians are obligated to disobey that government. For example, if a government were to declare that we should kill all unbelievers or in support abortion, we should disobey. Governments are run by people and often become corrupt. Furthermore, the Bible never tells us to obey governments in contradiction to the revealed word of God.

When systems become ungodly and anti-Christian, they are no longer properly representing God and should not be obeyed.

Are we seeing a conflict or a contradiction? Not at all. Let's take, for example, Exodus 20, where we see two commandments: obey your parents and do not murder. We can see that our parents are the authorities above us, even as governments are, and we should obey them. But, what should we do it our parents tell us to murder someone? Should we obey? Of course not. Obedience to our parents is only proper when it's consistent with the rest of the Scriptures. Likewise, submission to the governmental systems is only proper when it is consistent with Scripture.

Finally, let's look at Rom. 13:6-7 again, "For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing. 7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor." Notice that Paul says that the rulers are servants of God. This is the context of the submission that is mentioned at the beginning of the chapter. If these rulers are no longer servants of God, and if they contradict Scripture, they are not to be obeyed.

Lalasticlala

I feel like am reading an essay from Boko haram .. Mtwee.. is this not the thinking of Boko-haram, that the govt is not "religious" and they have to take over to establish the rule of 'God'?

It is not strange that people can find verses in the scripture to perpetrate their inner motive.. Finding ways to topple the govt that do not seems to align with there greedy wants... The funny thing is that .. When has Nigeria ever have a Godly govt? or which world leader you want to put on the "Godly scale".. Atleast for the first time in the history of Nigeria, we have an ordain pastor as Vice president..

The funny thing is when Election time comes and men of God come out for elective positions, these are the people that first throw the first stone.. castigating them..
So, bros next time when it is time for election, dust your Voter card and run to the polling booth t vote for a Godly govt rather than wait for the govt to turn Godly after winning the election.

1 Like

Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by DedeNkem: 7:49pm On Jun 26, 2016
Keep your f*ucking religion to yourself! We're in a secular country not one ruled by a religion!

So keep your brain-washing religion far away from government!

1 Like

Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by Roadmike(m): 10:29pm On Jun 26, 2016
Siddon there they make Noise, Nigeria wet them don Islamize teeer ter. You dey there a senator dey say is religious believes supersedes the constitution abi you no dey Nigeria.

seunmsg:

Rubbish. Nigeria is ruled by the constitution and not the bible. We have atheist, pagans, Muslims, Buddhist etc in the country who doesn't believe in the bible. Nigeria is a multi religious country so stop this crap you are spewing.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by oyega(m): 10:45pm On Jun 26, 2016
I will honour my parents, I will respect my boss, I will kiss my pastor's feet if they would leave my conscience alone and not coarse me to sin. Since it is imperative that I have to choose to do either their evil desire or will of God, but I choose God. I know a Christian should be humble but on this issue, I, like Apostle Paul must rebuke Peter and call even the angel of God accursed if they dare try to make me sin.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by lumeneng22: 1:41am On Jun 27, 2016
AIT news this last night is that Christians should remain steadfast i in their prayers while the stealing and looting continue in government circle.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by davien(m): 2:25am On Jun 27, 2016
tosinjay:
For the most part, Nigerian government hasn't got any law against the word of God.
Like America who will punish one for not making wedding cake for a gay couple. We should be able to decline what we don't see inline with our faith.

Christians can have tolerance but not forced to do what is considered evil according to the bible.
As a public government official in the United States, you aren't allowed to use a religion to discriminate any individual.

That was why punishment is given to anyone using religion to refuse service of any customer... gays have rights just like everyone else.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by tosinjay(m): 2:43am On Jun 27, 2016
davien:
As a public government official in the United States, you aren't allowed to use a religion to discriminate any individual.

That was why punishment is given to anyone using religion to refuse service of any customer... gays have rights just like everyone else.

And that's where the essence of the thread lies. If i were in the US, will simply decline such happily as open service calls towards my God. I've done that countless of times in my business line where i was rendering payment service for people and i turned down payments for some items i deemed ungodly. Unlike the the US Nigeria will lawfully jail such aspiring gay couple if the law prevail as it's lawful in this land.

It's rather the other way round, that i consider the person turning down the service who is punished to be discriminated upon as according to his/her faith it's damaging to the soul than beneficial to anyone's emotions. Why don't the gay persons turn to others for such service. As long as one do not humiliate, or harm them the best is they take their leave.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by davien(m): 2:49am On Jun 27, 2016
tosinjay:

And that's where the essence of the thread lies. If i were in the US, will simply decline such happily as open service calls towards my God. I've done that countless of times in my business line where i was rendering payment for people and i turned down payment for some itens i deemed ungodly. Unlike the the US Nigeria will lawfully jail such aspiring gay couple if the law prevail as it's lawful in this land.

It's rather the other way round, that i consider the person turning down the service who is punished to be discriminated upon as according to his/her faith it's damaging to the soul than beneficial to anyone's emotions. Why don't the gay persons turn to others for such service. As long as one do not humiliate, or harm them the best is they take their leave.
No that's not how it works, you see in a business where you are obligated to follow the constitution... It's against the law to disobey or breach any form of rule laid down.

The government gives you the right to stock up shop so it's only fair that you abide by the rules.

You won't say because your religion is against black people or gays, you'll refuse to render your service.. that's cheating not only those customers but the government itself that recognises and let's you own and set up a business.

In Nigeria and as Nigerians that don't know their rights both as customers and human beings, we'll merely shove and move to the next business... which actually does more harm than good.

If a Muslim decides Christians shouldn't come within his shop during prayers in Nigeria, Nigerians would foolishly obey it, not knowing that it's government property and thus they are allowed freedom of movement.... same with how the Muslims block roads during prayer.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by tosinjay(m): 3:01am On Jun 27, 2016
davien:
No that's not how it works, you see in a business where you are obligated to follow the constitution... It's against the law to disobey or breach any form of rule laid down.

The government gives you the right to stock up shop so it's only fair that you abide by the rules.

You won't say because your religion is against black people or gays, you'll refuse to render your service.. that's cheating not only those customers but the government itself that recognises and let's you own and set up a business.

In Nigeria and as Nigerians that don't know their rights both as customers and human beings, we'll merely shove and move to the next business... which actually does more harm than good.
I get you already and understood what you say even before saying all, but that's the part of the laws that going by the authority of the Bible the government's law becomes ungodly and i wouldn't them.

To be frank in my view of the US, it's the most corrupt nation on earth morally and US have got a lot of laws that aren't godly backing their moral stands. I will not spare the rod on my children, i will not let them grow spoilt, abortion is evil let alone being legal, more reason i don't fancy USA and if i were to ever live there i will not obey many of the laws that contradicts Scriptures!!
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by davien(m): 3:12am On Jun 27, 2016
tosinjay:

I get you already and understood what you say even before saying all, bu that's the part of the laws that going by the authority of the Bible the government's law becomes ungodly and i wouldn't obey it.
Then why protest against jail time for disobeying the government? ... you reap the fruits of your own acts.

To be frank in my view of the US, "it's the most corrupt nation on earth morally" and US have got a lot of laws that aren't godly backing their moral stands. I will not spare the rod on my child, i will not let them grow spoilt, abortion is evil let alone being legal, more reason i don't fancy USA and if i were to ever live there i will not obey many of the laws that contradicts Scriptures!!
Judging by your post you seem to think everyone should make laws based on what seems "moral", well sorry to disappoint you but morals are something that differs for everyone based on personal prejudices... which is religion for you in particular.

For a country to effectively operate in the best interest of its citizens, it has to be able and ready to put personal morals judged by prejudices aside in favour of one's that promote the wellbeing of everyone.

That's why abortion is legal, a woman has a right to terminate a pregnancy because it's her body, nobody is obligated to force a baby on her..

And physical abuse often goes unchecked, which is why the youths in Nigeria prefer jungle justice because they've been bred by "the rod"... punishment doesn't have to be physical to make someone understand what he/she must not do.... it(physical punishment) only promotes the idea of not getting caught.

Societies that carelessly make morals and ethics into laws often collapse under the weight of the very same laws they wish to keep..
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by 1b8m: 7:55am On Jun 27, 2016
you misunderstand me mr. my intention was not to promote any religion, am not even a religionist. i practice love.

we all have something in common as individuals, whether muslim or christian, black or white:the natural instinct of not being attributed with bad, evil, pain, negativity etc. now the point is, the day man starts wishing his fellow what he wishes himself, and works toward it, that day we will all find peace.
mmsen:

Boko Haram also claim to be moved by the 'spirit'.

We need to look inwards to solutions but there are no spirits or deities that will solve our problems for us.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by forty5: 8:15am On Jun 27, 2016
We should not hide behind any religions veil to 'rebel' against the Government.

Some so called christians and religious people are so UNPATRIOTIC: They do not VOTE, they discourage members from voting; they say politics is evil and politicians corrupt. After elections they would be the first complainants: speaking so ill about the country and its leaders (others elected). Their 'ungodly' remarks and comments fuel religious and sectarian tension.

WHEN THE RIGHTEOUS ARE IN AUTHORITY, THE PEOPLE REJOICE, BUT WHEN THE WICKED BEAR RULE, THE PEOPLE MOURN. prov.29:2

How many of us spend time in prayer and fasting for the country? How many of us do boldly condemn 'corrupt' politicians and terrorists who serve our interest in any way?; How many of us care about the safety and security of public property?; How many of us are so proud of our Green-White-Green color? How many of us are grateful to God for being a Nigerian?

We hope for a 'reward' paying tithes and offerings, but call it a 'waste' to pay tax and levies. We see it as a duty praying for Pastors and Imans, but a burden to pray for the President and the Police.....

As a person what have you given to Nigeria? When will you be a blessing to humanity?

Friends, lets protect Nigeria as we would our faith, marriage, jobs, businesses, etc.

If the British could not make a paradise out of Nigeria, Buhari may not be able 'change' it all in four years.

Let us join hands and support our leaders in building and re-positioning this GIANT OF AFRICA!

PEACE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by tosinjay(m): 12:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
davien:
Then why protest against jail time for disobeying the government? ... you reap the fruits of your own acts.

Judging by your post you seem to think everyone should make laws based on what seems "moral", well sorry to disappoint you but morals are something that differs for everyone based on personal prejudices... which is religion for you in particular.

For a country to effectively operate in the best interest of its citizens, it has to be able and ready to put personal morals judged by prejudices aside in favour of one's that promote the wellbeing of everyone.

That's why abortion is legal, a woman has a right to terminate a pregnancy because it's her body, nobody is obligated to force a baby on her..

And physical abuse often goes unchecked, which is why the youths in Nigeria prefer jungle justice because they've been bred by "the rod"... punishment doesn't have to be physical to make someone understand what he/she must not do.... it(physical punishment) only promotes the idea of not getting caught.

Societies that carelessly make morals and ethics into laws often collapse under the weight of the very same laws they wish to keep..
I tire for you oo, are you an atheist, mormon or what exactly? Because no true Christian will let evil laws prevail over his faith. I hate going back and forth when it doesn't worth it. All your points aren't tenable!!
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by davien(m): 12:41pm On Jun 27, 2016
tosinjay:

I tire for you oo, are you an atheist, mormon or what exactly? Because no true Christian will let evil laws prevail over his faith. I hate going back and forth when it doesn't worth it. All your points aren't tenable!!
I'm an atheist, it seems religion is blindfolding your brain because that's what I can tell from your post.

If so, please try to read up on humanism and objectivity.. It helps to be educated on matters you reply to.
Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by tosinjay(m): 12:50pm On Jun 27, 2016
davien:
I'm an atheist, it seems religion is blindfolding your brain because that's what I can tell from your post.

If so, please try to read up on humanism and objectivity.. It helps to be educated on matters you reply to.
Ok good you declared being an atheist, Bible is the constitution for Christians and as long as Nigerians aren't forced to become Muslims, our laws aren't opposing Biblical views so thanks. In the afterlife we go see who humanism and objectivity don help. Byebye

1 Like

Re: When a government is becoming ungodly: should Christians continue to obey? by davien(m): 12:55pm On Jun 27, 2016
tosinjay:

Ok good you declared being an atheist, Bible is the constitution for Christians and as long as Nigerians aren't forced to become Muslims, our laws aren't opposing Biblical views so thanks. In the afterlife we go see who humanism and objectivity don help. Byebye
You can keep daydreaming about an afterlife while you're alive and can think here on earth or use that brain to better understand these things.... your choice.

I've tried educating you but your beliefs are stopping you from using your brain, so keep daydreaming while the world keeps changing and then complain it's not fitted to your beliefs.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Will Happen To Those Who Refused To Believe In The Name Of The Lord Christ / Did Jesus Go To Hell Between His Death And Resurrection? / Traditionalists Demand Public Holidays, Board, Political Appointments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.