Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. (698 Views)

Wike, Okorocha, Other State Governors Welcoming President Buhari (see Photos) / Meet Late Musa Yar'adua's Daughters, All Married To Former State Governors / Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. by lordcabasa(m): 11:36am On Jun 29, 2016
ON THE RECENT DESTRUCTION OF CRIMINALS DEN IN RUMUOLUMENI COMMUNITY BY THE RIVERS STATE GOVERNOR. his excellency GOV. E. N. WIKE CON.

First of all I praise the steadfastness and efficiency of the Rivers State governor in tackling developments and the rise in criminality that has bedevilled our State lately, His amnesty offer & equipping of the Police and Military must be encouraged by all well meaning Nigerians.

Having said the obvious, It is my hope and candid opinion that such fights of good over evil in pursuit of peace, fairness, equity & justice must and ought to be done within the ambits of the law.

The office of the Rivers state Governor is a creation of law as enshrined under S. 5(2)(a) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria AS AMENDED. I thus find it so disturbing when on the 28th of June 2016, the Governor His excellency Chief Ezenwo Wike, announced that every den of criminals shall be destroyed and the property used to build barracks and police stations; a threat he has already made good by destroying the criminal den at Eagle Cement Road Iwofe, and the property of an alleged criminal hideout rumoured to be situated around St. Johns along Iwofe/Coe road, as great an idea as this may appear, I wish to point out that I know of no known law that empowers the governor to be both the judge and the prosecutor at the same time.

Firstly, According to S. 36(4) Of the constitution of Nigeria as amended, the accused remains innocent until the contrary is proven by a competent court of law, and the acts of the governor as displayed above to my mind, appears to adjudge the accused as criminals until the contrary is proven.

Secondly, the acts of destroying and forceful acquisition of the properties of convicted kidnaps, armed robber etc Appears to be a borrowed leaf from Anambra State under the previous administration of the state.
Maybe, I need remind his excellency being a lawyer himself and a member of the prestigious Body of Benchers that the Supposed Act of destruction of criminal dens in Anambra state was pursuant to a legislation passed by the Anambra state house of Assembly, I believe, a power which the governor acted on in accordance with S.5(2)(b) of the C. F. R. N 1999. And I doubt because I know of no known law or legislation in Rivers State empowering the Governor to carry out his above Actions as at today.

Lastly there is no known law to my mind that stipulates that failure to report the criminal acts of a tenant shall have consequences on such landlord, if this is true, why then shall a landlord be forced to loose his property for leasing his house to fellow country men for a fee? Will such law not make Landlords weary of giving out such properties to strangers? Will such fear not mean that we treat our selves as suspects? Will such suspicions not cause disaffection in society instead of National Integration?

I therefore call on the Rivers State Government to act within the law rather than perceived abuse of Executive powers as these will not support the social contract theory, hence the aggrieved must be duly compensated and a proper legislation made by the Rivers state house of Assembly to guide and legalise the future acts of the Governor in these regards; hence I call on all well meaning Nigerians, civil societies and journalists to do the needful because today its not our properties involved but can we say same about tomorrow?

Caveat: This article is not intended to sponsor one political party over another, as I hold the office of the Governor in high esteem and will never be reduced to a pun in the hands of anyone or group of persons.

IDIKI KUKU ESQ
SOCIAL COMMENTATOR/CRITIQUE.
Office of the Citizen
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. by gare(f): 12:04pm On Jun 29, 2016
lordcabasa:
ON THE RECENT DESTRUCTION OF CRIMINALS DEN IN RUMUOLUMENI COMMUNITY BY THE RIVERS STATE GOVERNOR. his excellency GOV. E. N. WIKE CON.

First of all I praise the steadfastness and efficiency of the Rivers State governor in tackling developments and the rise in criminality that has bedevilled our State lately, His amnesty offer & equipping of the Police and Military must be encouraged by all well meaning Nigerians.

Having said the obvious, It is my hope and candid opinion that such fights of good over evil in pursuit of peace, fairness, equity & justice must and ought to be done within the ambits of the law.

The office of the Rivers state Governor is a creation of law as enshrined under S. 5(2)(a) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria AS AMENDED. I thus find it so disturbing when on the 28th of June 2016, the Governor His excellency Chief Ezenwo Wike, announced that every den of criminals shall be destroyed and the property used to build barracks and police stations; a threat he has already made good by destroying the criminal den at Eagle Cement Road Iwofe, and the property of an alleged criminal hideout rumoured to be situated around St. Johns along Iwofe/Coe road, as great an idea as this may appear, I wish to point out that I know of no known law that empowers the governor to be both the judge and the prosecutor at the same time.

Firstly, According to S. 36(4) Of the constitution of Nigeria as amended, the accused remains innocent until the contrary is proven by a competent court of law, and the acts of the governor as displayed above to my mind, appears to adjudge the accused as criminals until the contrary is proven.

Secondly, the acts of destroying and forceful acquisition of the properties of convicted kidnaps, armed robber etc Appears to be a borrowed leaf from Anambra State under the previous administration of the state.
Maybe, I need remind his excellency being a lawyer himself and a member of the prestigious Body of Benchers that the Supposed Act of destruction of criminal dens in Anambra state was pursuant to a legislation passed by the Anambra state house of Assembly, I believe, a power which the governor acted on in accordance with S.5(2)(b) of the C. F. R. N 1999. And I doubt because I know of no known law or legislation in Rivers State empowering the Governor to carry out his above Actions as at today.

Lastly there is no known law to my mind that stipulates that failure to report the criminal acts of a tenant shall have consequences on such landlord, if this is true, why then shall a landlord be forced to loose his property for leasing his house to fellow country men for a fee? Will such law not make Landlords weary of giving out such properties to strangers? Will such fear not mean that we treat our selves as suspects? Will such suspicions not cause disaffection in society instead of National Integration?

I therefore call on the Rivers State Government to act within the law rather than perceived abuse of Executive powers as these will not support the social contract theory, hence the aggrieved must be duly compensated and a proper legislation made by the Rivers state house of Assembly to guide and legalise the future acts of the Governor in these regards; hence I call on all well meaning Nigerians, civil societies and journalists to do the needful because today its not our properties involved but can we say same about tomorrow?

Caveat: This article is not intended to sponsor one political party over another, as I hold the office of the Governor in high esteem and will never be reduced to a pun in the hands of anyone or group of persons.

IDIKI KUKU ESQ
SOCIAL COMMENTATOR/CRITIQUE.
Office of the Citizen
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

My friend carry your local ESq and go and sleep, how many times have you written to the Federal Govt over their constant breach on the law, please just allow the governor do his job where were you when Amaechi destroyed Ateke Toms shrine? Did he go to court to get judgement? Or did you send him an open letter ? Whatever you call yourself I beg to allow the government do its job and stop come here to do your law assignment or looking for relevance.
Re: Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. by maximilliano505: 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
What kind of nigeria are we building? Wats dis one saying again? I no wan vex joor
Re: Rivers State Governors Destruction Of "Criminal Den" Lega Implication. by fredriqperez(m): 11:47am On Jun 30, 2016
What are u talking about Mr man. We talking about unwarranted destruction of innocent people's livelihood, houses and sources of income, you're talking of shrine. I know someone in that community whose father lost all he has toiled for in his whole life in just one day and you spewing gibberish. I hope this gets to your community too. Posterity will judge him. What is bad, is bad. sad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lawmakers In Ekiti For Fayose, Vows To Sleep On The Street Tonight.. Hmmm / Obama Owns $5M House, Nig. Ex-oil Minister Owns $18M House-sr Adeola / Had Nnamdi Not Been Arrested, Hmmm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.