Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Meatpies - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Meatpies (3526 Views)

Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More / Order For Cakes And Snacks(meatpies,donots And So Much More).We do Training too (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meatpies by mamagee3(f): 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2009
I love Meatpies kiss kiss
But you can refer to google for the recipe
. tongue
Re: Meatpies by THEAMAKA1: 11:19am On Dec 23, 2009
ewwww i didnt really like those things in naija.
everyone else liked them, but i thought they were okay.
ate my first and last one on that day. lol

they're okay. . . not really my thing.

but i LOVE LOVE LOVE (i think theyre called) Buns or something and they have the egg in the middle.
i used to love when my grandpa sold those in his store and got a fresh batch every morning.  cheesy
i hate egg though, so i used to give that part away, but i love the outside.
YUMMY!
Re: Meatpies by AmakaOne(f): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2009
Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup + more water

Meat:
2 tbsp butter
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
Chili pepper, diced (optional)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, curry powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. With a pastry cutter, or your fingers, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the water and stir until the mixture forms into a bowl. If the dough is too crumbly, add more water 1 tsp at a time until the dough sticks together. Form the dough into a log. Cut the dough into 10 pieces.

For the meat, set a large pan over medium heat and melt 2 tbsp butter. Add the diced onion and saute until it is soft and translucent. Add the ground beef. Add curry powder, dried thyme, salt, freshly ground pepper, ground allspice, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. Saute until the meat is browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs. Once liquid is absorbed, remove the skillet from the heat.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Take one piece of dough and roll out into a 6-inch circle. Fill with 2 tbsp of the meat mixture. Fold the dough over and press the edges to seal. Use a fork to further seal. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Place the pies on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk one egg. Brush the top of each patty with the beaten egg.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown.

Makes 10 pies

Re: Meatpies by agitator: 11:50am On Dec 23, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

but i LOVE LOVE LOVE (i think theyre called) Buns or something and they have the egg in the middle.
i used to love when my grandpa sold those in his store and got a fresh batch every morning.  cheesy
i hate egg though, so i used to give that part away, but i love the outside.
YUMMY!

It's called Scotch-egg, Buns is the version without eggs.
Re: Meatpies by THEAMAKA1: 11:52am On Dec 23, 2009
OHHHHH well then ive been eating Scotch-egg but i prefer Buns since it already comes without the egg.
thanks.
Buns were some of my favorite snacks, along with fried plantain, and chim chim or chin chin? lol
Re: Meatpies by AmakaOne(f): 12:10pm On Dec 23, 2009
agitator:

It's called Scotch-egg, Buns is the version without eggs.
?

I was thinking maybe egg rolls

Hard-boiled and shelled egg is wrapped in store-bought frozen pastry and baked at 350 F for about 20 minutes.

Re: Meatpies by agitator: 12:39pm On Dec 23, 2009
The Nigerian version is called scotch-egg (or scotched-egg whichever) Hardboiled egg and shelled egg wrapped in flour mixture and fried.

Note: some people normally add fresh egg in the flour and mixture together, so some buns may actually contain eggs as part of the ingredient (especially home made and on special order)
Re: Meatpies by AmakaOne(f): 12:58pm On Dec 23, 2009
agitator:

The Nigerian version is called scotch-egg (or scotched-egg whichever) Hardboiled egg and shelled egg wrapped in flour mixture and fried.

Note: some people normally add fresh egg in the flour and mixture together, so some buns may actually contain eggs as part of the ingredient (especially home made and on special order)

Is there not a difference between scotch egg and egg roll?

Re: Meatpies by agitator: 1:11pm On Dec 23, 2009
AmakaOne:

Is there not a difference between scotch egg and egg roll?

Yes they are different.  Actually i've not come across the egg roll (seeing it for the first time from your pics) and THE.AMAKA was referring to the scotch egg
Re: Meatpies by THEAMAKA1: 1:14pm On Dec 23, 2009
or Buns! lol
i cant find any pic on google though undecided
Re: Meatpies by chrisical(m): 2:49pm On Dec 23, 2009
I love meatpies
Re: Meatpies by Biabeke(f): 3:21am On Dec 25, 2009
There is a distinct difference between scotch eggs and egg rolls. The former is savory, while the latter is sweet. Scotch eggs are the ones encased in ground meat and breadcrumbs. Egg rolls are the ones encased in buns. Good luck! cheesy
Re: Meatpies by iyapony(m): 7:36am On Dec 25, 2009
great recipes. i love meat pies that have that extra spice to them. yum!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Perfect Way To Cook White Rice (especially Nigerian Rice) / See What My Kitchen Creativity Gave Me / How To Prepare Moi-moi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.