Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,789 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says (14552 Views)

Rats Invasion: Buhari Is The Worst President Ever - Mike Ozekhome / How Osinbajo ‘goofed’ On Nigeria Remaining Together – Niger Delta Monarch, Ayemi / Absolute Immunity Is No Longer Allowed Under The Law- Falana Tells Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by dridowu: 11:11am On Jul 04, 2016
Both lawyers goofed
Falana indirectly works for APC while Ozekhome also works for pdp indirectly.

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:13am On Jul 04, 2016
Okijajuju1:

I am one who is up for a good debate based on actual points and not attacks on the personality of the debaters.

So far, you have said absolutely nothing to counter the points made by AntiWailer.

If you have any actual points to make on the subject or the points raised by AntiWailer, now would be a good time to present it.

Thanks Bro.

That is what we have always advocated for.

Let us debate intelligently with facts.

Instead of reading submission and typing "Zombie" without any point at all.

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ibitzbarlow(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

FALANA is very correct. Without just ranting, let me explain with examples.

One of his point is that the immunity does not cover electoral crimes.

1. Buhari was in court for his certificate issue cos it affects his election.

2. Ikpeazu was in court because of tax papers that affect his election

3. Sitting governors are dropped from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1 and 2 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

"No absolute immunity in our Law. If there is, Ikpeazu wont be running helter skelter, looking for court injunction"

Mike is a PDP lawyer and infact he is currently defending Fayose.

So I dnt expect him to take another position.

It is only victims of headlines that will scream.

Your post only corroborated Mike Ozhokeme's posturing. He asserted that electoral matters are generic and neither civil nor criminal; electoral matters are derived from from the constitution and not from lower acts of parliament.
1 and 2 which you claim are not electoral matters were actually instituted before the defendants were sworn in as executives. They are actually pre-election matters and are still in the "generic" class.

Aptly, he emphasised the supremacy of the constitution over any lower act of parliament or quasi-law.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Surfboard(m): 11:17am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

3. Gani Fawehinmi took Tinubu to court indepenently over Toronto Certificate forgery.

4. Sitting governors are dropped from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

"No absolute immunity in our Law. If there is, Ikpeazu wont be running helter skelter, looking for court injunction"

Oga, I disagree with your points, and I will tell you why.

1. The certificate suit was instituted before Buhari's election, so it pre-dates the period of his immunity.

2. Like Ozekhome stated and you also reiterated, issues that go to the root of elections have a life of their own, so it's neither really considered as a civil or criminal matter.

Now, if we put the above points aside, where then is immunity not absolute under the constitution? See where Falana is wrong now?

This isn't about politics, it's a matter of law.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2016
ibitzbarlow:

Your post only corroborated Mike Ozhokeme's posturing. He asserted that electoral matters are generic and neither civil nor criminal; electoral matters are derived from from the constitution and not from lower acts of parliament.

Aptly, he emphasised the supremacy of the constitution over any lower act of parliament or quasi-law.

The question is what could result remotely into electoral matter.

1. Gani Fawehinmi Vs Tinubu

The case was on Tinubu's Toronto certificate. Investigation was allowed and it was entertained because it has a remote effect on the electoral process.

The case in question is Fayose's source of funds used for his election. If it can be proved that the money gotten illegally affected the outcome of the election or gave Fayose undue advantage during election, it can be entertained.

So if for any reason, A governor can be taken to COURT outside tribunal for offences influencing his nomination or victory then the point remains that :

"IMMUNITY" is not absolute.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by easytech1(m): 11:19am On Jul 04, 2016
deantimes:

http://.com/freezing-of-fayoses-account-falana-goofed-on-no-absolute-immunity-submission-ozekhome-says/

Unfortunately, This SAN only wants to argue for argument sake. His argument was reasonable but in law, you must support your arguments with reference especially court cases and other authorities. Falana based his arguments/positions on supreme court cases. Therefore, the lawyer is only playing around. Nigerian constitution recognises all the acts this man referred to and also gives room for execution of all these laws. Well, the supreme court go clear una eye.

awon ole jatijati

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:20am On Jul 04, 2016
Surfboard:

Oga, I disagree with your points, and I will tell you why.

1. The certificate suit was instituted before Buhari's election, so it pre-dates the period of his immunity.

2. Like Ozekhome stated and you also reiterated, issues that go to the root of elections have a life of their own, so it's neither really considered as a civil or criminal matter.

Now, if we put the above points aside, where then is immunity not absolute under the constitution? See where Falana is wrong now?

This isn't about politics, it's a matter of law.

It was entertained because it has to do with election.

With immunity, all cases are automatically suspended irrespective of the time it started. That is what Ikpeazu was claiming Uche Ugah was trying to do because of his ongoing forgery trial.

So immunity is NOT ABSOLUTE.

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 11:23am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

3. Gani Fawehinmi took Tinubu to court independently over Toronto Certificate forgery.

4. Sitting governors are tackled from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

That a Governor can be sued on electoral matters is not in dispute

Can the EFCC or indeed any body sue a serving Governor in light of Section 308 is what in dispute?

Once in a while to promote d frontier of knowledge on this platform it with be great if folks can drop narrow partisanship

Nigerian and indeed d constitution is bigger than APC or PDP

3 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by StepTwo: 11:25am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Wow!!! Impressive... You knowledge on the sibject runs deep I presume. Guess you're a lawyer, probably one of the SAN Buhari chose to defend him.

Electoral crime, we need to start from your mentor (oga at the top) then...

Good riddance to bad rubbish....

lol

bros, ur own mùmu no from this planet

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:27am On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Can the EFCC or indeed any body sue a serving Governor in light of Section 308 is what in dispute?

Once in a while to promote d frontier of knowledge on this platform it with be great if folks can drop narrow partisanship

"Falana said that immunity did not also extend to electoral fraud.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/absolute-immunity-no-longer-allowed-law-falana/"

So what has Falana said wrongly ?

Gani Fawehinmi challenged Tinubu. The case is being reffered to.

I don't get your point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by win3k: 11:30am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:
Simple and comprehensive roar from Mike Ozekhome.

Falana was a man I really respected his sense of jurisprudence, how he changes is what surprises me.

If those who interpret the law be divided, what hope is there for the common man?

God! Nigeria! Where is the future you promised us?

God?
So an invisible thing that you have no evidence exists promised you something?

People like you in that country need your heads examined!
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by edo3(m): 11:32am On Jul 04, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
It's Ozakhome that goofed, not Falana.
Am not in support of anyone oo,,but who doesn't know Zarokhome and Joseph dauda would see white and call it black..

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ibitzbarlow(m): 11:33am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

The question is what could result remotely into electoral matter.

1. Gani Fawehinmi Vs Tinubu

The case was on Tinubu's Toronto certificate. Investigation was allowed and it was entertained because it has a remote effect on the electoral process.

The case in question is Fayose's source of funds used for his election. If it can be proved that the money gotten illegally affected the outcome of the election or gave Fayose undue advantage during election, it can be entertained.

So if for any reason, A governor can be taken to COURT outside tribunal for offences influencing his nomination or victory then the point remains that :

"IMMUNITY" is not absolute.

Your perspective appears plausible. I am not a Lawyer, so I can't claim to be an authority here. But if I am right, the Law provides for time limit in pre-election and electoral cases otherwise the executive would be distracted in the discharge of their duties while in office facing series of trivial electoral cases in court. This much I guess the "immunity clause " was meant to prevent.
I dont think that it is plausible or right for the source of fund of an election to be investigated over two years into its administration.

Not excusing Fayose, We all know that none of our executives from the two divides would pass the test of legal election funding as stipulated by the law.

So, in as much as I am against absolute immunity, "Imminity" is absolute as derived from the Nigerian constitution.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 11:34am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

"Falana said that immunity did not also extend to electoral fraud.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/absolute-immunity-no-longer-allowed-law-falana/"

So what has Falana said wrongly ?

Gani Fawehinmi challenged Tinubu. The case is being reffered to.

I don't get your point.

Unless you have a problem with comprehension

Electoral matters are generic, mick and falana and I agree on that!

That you can sue a governor on electoral matters is settled LAW!

Question is: can u maintain a criminal charge against a sitting Governor giving d express provision of Section 308 of 1999 constitutions as amended?
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:39am On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Unless you have a problem with comprehension

Electoral matters are generic, mick and falana and I agree on that!

That you can sue a governor on electoral matters is settled LAW!

Question is: can u maintain a criminal charge against a sitting Governor giving d express provision of Section 308 of 1999 constitutions as amended?

On your first line, adding abuse to your argument does not make u appear smarter.

ANS to your question : Yes you can. Forgery against Ikpeazu which is still fresh is criminal and also affects the selection process before elections.

Provided you can establish that it gave him undue advantage during election or selection process.

That is why electoral fraud was singled out.

Absolute is synonymous to : complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

Case :

1. Buhari in court

2. Ikpeazu's tax clearance case

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by anonimi: 11:40am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana has turned himself into a jekuredi, jankara lawyer simply because of the crumbs fed to him from the table of the JagaBandit of Bourdillon.
What a wasted life.
Gani must be turning in his grave at such a loss!!!

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Jul 04, 2016
There is no argument about the fact that freezing of bank accounts of persons who are under criminal investigation is merely an interim, precautionary and necessary step preparatory to arraignment and prosecution.

Interestingly, an illustration was given by Justice Uwaifo J.S.C. (as he then was) in Fawehinmi's case of an instance where it is alleged that a governor "STOLE PUBLIC MONEY AND KEPT IT IN A PARTICULAR BANK". His Lordship in his prophetic wisdom rightly stated that a "monstrous situation" will be created if the police (in this case the EFCC) is unable "TO FIND OUT (IF POSSIBLE) ABOUT THE MONEY LODGED IN THE BANK" or "AND TO GET PARTICULARS OF THE ACCOUNT AND THE SOURCE OF THE MONEY".

http://saharareporters.com/2016/06/21/analysis-constitutional-validity-freezing-governor-fayoses-bank-account-inibehe-effiong

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:42am On Jul 04, 2016
Governor Fayose has not been invited for interrogation by the EFCC; he has not been arrested or imprisoned; no criminal proceedings has been commenced against him, and clearly no process of a court requiring or compelling his attendance in court has been issued or applied for. These are the only things and actions that Section 308 of the Constitution forbids.

The Supreme Court in Fawehinmi's case supra declared that a governor can be investigated in any manner, provided it does not lead to any these limited situations. The Apex Court emphasised that these limited situations must not be extended under the guise of liberal interpretation of the Constitution.

The question then is? Has any of the protections given to Governor Fayose by Section 308 of the Constitution been taken away by the EFCC?

The answer is NO.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/06/21/analysis-constitutional-validity-freezing-governor-fayoses-bank-account-inibehe-effiong

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by currencyz: 11:45am On Jul 04, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Falana I Know... Who is Mr. Mike Ozekhome?

Who Mr. Mike Ozekhome epp?

Ehn don Baff?

Who E Serve?

wao..... wat a cute write up clap 4 ur self....yeye dey smell.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by anonimi: 11:49am On Jul 04, 2016

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:50am On Jul 04, 2016
ibitzbarlow:

Your perspective appears plausible. I am not a Lawyer, so I can't claim to be an authority here. But if I am right, the Law provides for time limit in pre-election and electoral cases otherwise the executive would be distracted in the discharge of their duties while in office facing series of trivial electoral cases in court. This much I guess the "immunity clause " was meant to prevent.
I dont think that it is plausible or right for the source of fund of an election to be investigated over two years into its administration.

Not excusing Fayose, We all know that none of our executives from the two divides would pass the test of legal election funding as stipulated by the law.

So, in as much as I am against absolute immunity, "Imminity" is absolute as derived from the Nigerian constitution.

You know one good thing about law is that you can refer to cases and judgement.

Are you aware that Matters on Buhari's certificate was to continue even last week if the Lawyer did not chicken out ?

Was Buhari not under immunity ?

What about Ikpeazu ? WHy is he looking for Appeal Court injunction, Is he not under immunity ?

So the statement Falana said is simply the truth. No ABSOLUTE immunity.

You can be prosecuted for electoral fraud. It is that simple.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Intrepid01(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:
Simple and comprehensive roar from Mike Ozekhome.

Falana was a man I really respected his sense of jurisprudence, how he changes is what surprises me.

If those who interpret the law be divided, what hope is there for the common man?

God! Nigeria! Where is the future you promised us?

Your view shows you are not familiar with lawyers..................you were even fast to believe this Ozekhome; Fayose's legal councel. Do you expect him to agree with something that reduces his chances of winning the case?

If you don't know...Lawyers hardly agree....Two lawyers, 3 opinions...
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

No one sued or is suing Fayose. The debate is, are the members of EFCC within their right following a money embezzlement trail leading to Fayose? They are because as long as the embezzled funds were used to give Fayose an electoral advantage then based on that ground, the account can undergo investigation.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52am On Jul 04, 2016
currencyz:
wao..... wat a cute write up clap 4 ur self....yeye dey smell.

You existence has been acknowledged..

You can move it along now..
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by anonimi: 11:54am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:
You know one good thing about law is that you can refer to cases and judgement.

Are you aware that Matters on Buhari's certificate was to continue even last week if the Lawyer did not chicken out?

Should one not be concerned about why/what made the lawyer chicken out?
What kind of pressure (read harassment) was brought against him to back out?

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 11:56am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

On your first line, adding abuse to your argument does not make u appear smarter.

ANS to your question : Yes you can. Forgery against Ikpeazu which is still fresh is criminal and also affects the selection process before elections.

Provided you can establish that it gave him undue advantage during election or selection process.

Absolute is synonymous to : complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

Case :

1. Buhari in court

The above are all examples of electoral matters
Which has been settled by the supreme court as far back as Awolowo vs shagari

Stop dancing round the question!

Tinubu in 1999 had a case instituted against him by some of his business associate, why was it throw out when he became Governor?

Do u need more examples?

Again I ask can any civil or criminal case other than electoral matters be entertained against a serving Governor giving d particular provisions of Section 308?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 11:59am On Jul 04, 2016
anonimi:

Should one not be concerned about why/what made the lawyer chicken out?
What kind of pressure (read harassment) was brought against him to back out?

That is not relevant to this discussion.

It is easy to assert different reasons include saying: "They said they will kill him in court"

We can even say they showed him his past financial crimes and negotiate. All those are easy to think of.

Until the guy comes out to say it himself, Nobody knows why he chickened out.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

Case :

1. Buhari in court

That is why Fayose and his crew are running helter skelter. As soon as the investigation is complete and there is proof of the funds used for Electoral fraud to empower Fayose, that is when Fayose will appear before the Court.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Tinubu in 1999 had a case instituted against him by some of his business associate, why was it throw out when he became Governor?

Do u need more examples?

Again I ask can any civil or criminal case other than electoral matters be entertained against a serving Governor giving d particular provisions of Section 308?

You can keep asking again and again.

I have answered you unless in your opinion Tax Forgery Case against Ikpeazu is not Criminal.

If immunity covers that circumstance, the charges would be automatically suspended till the end of his tenure.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Do u need more examples?

The case against Tinubu thrown out, was it an electoral fraud case? Answer the question and understand AntiWailer's point.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by anonimi: 12:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:
That is not relevant to this discussion.

It is easy to assert different reasons include saying: "They said they will kill him in court"

We can even say they showed him his past financial crimes and negotiate. All those are easy to think of.

Until the guy comes out to say it himself, Nobody knows why he chickened out.

I am not asking about speculations on why.
No.
I am asking whether we should be CONCERNED.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Do u need more examples?

The point is simple. There is no absolute immunity. The reason is because if the crime is linked to an electoral fraud, the person will be further investigated and brought to the court.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki Meets With Botswana And Mauritius Former Presidents / Gboyega Oyetola Presents N152.7b 2019 Osun Budget / President Buhari Speaks At 20th Anniversary Of The International Criminal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.